Mac8111

2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

a month ago there were pods of reds with their backs out of the water on the sand between the Arroyo and Mansfield. Go N/NE from Green's and run until you aren't sure you could get the boat back up, then get out and wade until it's ankle deep and wait. We were in them from sun up to about 9:30, then again from about 5:30 until sunset. 

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

a month ago there were pods of reds with their backs out of the water on the sand between the Arroyo and Mansfield. Go N/NE from Green's and run until you aren't sure you could get the boat back up, then get out and wade until it's ankle deep and wait. We were in them from sun up to about 9:30, then again from about 5:30 until sunset. 

That doesn't seem sporting ...

1 minute ago, capnamerca said:

That doesn't seem sporting ...

Sorry, I forgot the part where we had to get them to eat a fly in a 15-20 mph wind. 

Wait, you don't think we were catching them by hand or something, do you? 

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sorry, I forgot the part where we had to get them to eat a fly in a 15-20 mph wind. 

Wait, you don't think we were catching them by hand or something, do you? 

Well, I had my concerns.

So the boy and I sailed up to Channel Islands Harbor on Monday.  And yesterday we chartered a boat out of Channel Islands Sportfishing with him and 14 other buddies and their dads (16 total people due to Covid).  Everyone kicked in their share.  Fishing was very spotty, but got into a good bite of ocean whitefish and California sheephead in the early afternoon.  
made some tasty ceviche and fish tacos out of the whitefish tonight.

18867F50-35B4-4EB8-8094-F629F57FC63C.jpeg

6817DBA7-C82F-4C77-9FF3-0FAFC7700731.jpeg

618FC200-5EFD-41B0-9E29-B74231658FAB.jpeg

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Limits in POC today. We were croaker shaking in Matagorda bay. 

Taking the family down for a weds-fri trip in 2 weeks. Was thinking some croaker or shrimp would be good around the wells?   I haven’t fished bait in a looooong damn time. Don’t want to mess with the jetties because the kids are pretty small and my gunnels are about 6” - not particularly worried but don’t want to freak them or the wife out.  But if I can get them on a few fish before they lose interest we’ll be in great shape. Might hit the big platform too, a buddy takes his kids there in the dead summer and seems to always find something to stretch their lines (and catch shade).   The goal of the trip is hang out near the pass and let them play, anything above and beyond that is gravy.  

California sheephead (totally different from Florida sheephead) have a diet exclusively made up of crustaceans.  The meat has a shellfish flavor, but really doesn’t taste good grilled or sautéed like other fish.  But made crab cakes out of it and they were outstanding.

Trippy fact about this fish- they are all born female and morph into males as they age.  

363E187C-6887-4800-A7BE-81CA785FB533.jpeg

659F1BB4-A018-4328-BC2C-318B99D681BA.jpeg

8470D99D-7FC1-43FB-BD3D-58AB69490BF1.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin

Limits in POC today. We were croaker shaking in Matagorda bay. 

Nice. We threw some croaker today in Matagorda as well. Had the wife and oldest boy wade with us today. Was a really slow morning bite but I finally found some trout out on a drop off and I got them over next to me so they could get out in on the action.

I think it finally broke through to the wife that she can’t fish knee deep water the entire trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We hurt them again today in Matagorda Bay. All around 20 and thick  

We got out of the water at 10 AM and headed southbound

trout caught in Matagorda Bay will be fried up tonight in South Padre

Send exact GPS coordinates.

Just kidding. No way we are putting the boat in the water tomorrow.

There was an implied invitation to repost said pics.

The pic finally popped up on FB memories.

22” 4.5lb flounder stuffed with crabmeat mixture.

33293e89b7951f5ad1c56dbef41dd0e2.jpg
e31caf65e8af5bab674681c2dade7b90.jpg

7 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I think it finally broke through to the wife that she can’t fish knee deep water the entire trip. emoji23.png

I do my damndest to stay as shallow as I can. It works out pretty good because my main fishing partner loves to get out to his shoulders.  Our red to trout ratio is as you’d expect for the most part, but it works out. 

Edited by fattyflattie

4 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

The pic finally popped up on FB memories.

22” 4.5lb flounder stuffed with crabmeat mixture.

33293e89b7951f5ad1c56dbef41dd0e2.jpg
e31caf65e8af5bab674681c2dade7b90.jpg

Looks outstanding.