2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

over shell? and how deep?

Over sand and grass.  Thigh to waist deep.  Fish were pulled up on the flats.  Best and most fish came fishing a color line. 

Fished the same area last Friday without a sniff.  

Edited by Dry Elbows
  • Like 1

We got drenched yesterday afternoon but managed to get Into some trout. Was wading side by side with my old man at sunset and he would start giggling like a school girl when those trout would crush that top water. Buddy lost 22” trout while he was fucking measuring him on the boat......

Day before we had couple trout, a red and a flounder, which I will be eating tonight. Wanted to gig for flounder but wind was pretty high.

I was at the dock when Capt Marty’s charter came in from their jetty trip. Every single one of their trout was a pig. I was so jealous. All were 22-26”. Blow up the pic and see how fat they were. I took a pic of other people’s fish.

8646c968fff34be2da2a29f61e921370.jpg

6349227bdcf959d0bc54f594db1f30fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Man did the weatherman get it wrong today. Forecast was sunny and 5-10. He got the sunny right, but big whiff on the wind. I took a PTO day and the boy and I drove down to Seadrift last night. Put the boat in the water at 7:30, and it was slick but still a little foggy/hazy. I made a leisurely course for Power Lake, and the sun burned off the haze on the way over. There were some big boats in Power, so we slid out the back into the marsh ponds. Found a few fish early, but the water is still pretty high and cloudy back there. The boy picked up one 18" red before someone turned on the giant leaf blower. By 11:00 there were foam streaks on the water in the back lakes and ESB was solid whitecaps. We fished until about 12:30, then I started worrying about the crossing. Getting back out of the marsh was a pain in the ass. With the TM on high, I was barely making headway and if I fell off even half a point, the wind would blow the bow around. I checked the NOAA buoy at Port A, and it was reading 22 KNOTS sustained. The crossing back was miserable. I put that little 16' boat in the air at least 4 times. The boy was laying in the cockpit in the fetal position all the way back until I rounded into the ICW. I started the day at 6'5", but pretty sure I'm about 6'2" now. But at least we got out of the damn house and caught one.  

• Like 2

Anyone have some advice for the west coast of Florida? Been talking with a friend who lives in Orlando and the idea of meeting up in a month or 2 when things are "normal" to do some fishing. Were thinking the Tampa area, any charter recs in the area would be appreciated 

18 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Man did the weatherman get it wrong today. Forecast was sunny and 5-10. He got the sunny right, but big whiff on the wind. I took a PTO day and the boy and I drove down to Seadrift last night. Put the boat in the water at 7:30, and it was slick but still a little foggy/hazy. I made a leisurely course for Power Lake, and the sun burned off the haze on the way over. There were some big boats in Power, so we slid out the back into the marsh ponds. Found a few fish early, but the water is still pretty high and cloudy back there. The boy picked up one 18" red before someone turned on the giant leaf blower. By 11:00 there were foam streaks on the water in the back lakes and ESB was solid whitecaps. We fished until about 12:30, then I started worrying about the crossing. Getting back out of the marsh was a pain in the ass. With the TM on high, I was barely making headway and if I fell off even half a point, the wind would blow the bow around. I checked the NOAA buoy at Port A, and it was reading 22 KNOTS sustained. The crossing back was miserable. I put that little 16' boat in the air at least 4 times. The boy was laying in the cockpit in the fetal position all the way back until I rounded into the ICW. I started the day at 6'5", but pretty sure I'm about 6'2" now. But at least we got out of the damn house and caught one.  

Ha, yeah my buddy and another guy went down to Oyster Lake near Palacios with a couple kayaks.  They caught a few trout but said they ditched the kayaks pdq after blowing out their arms and waded instead.  He said the wind laid some during the night and yesterday morning, but that made the mosquitoes unbearable, even wading.  Kinda glad I couldn’t go.  I’ve been in the mosquitoes down there before and it gets ridiculous.

I’ve fished an annual tournament this weekend for the last 11 years.  It was postponed this year due to Covid.   But to the point, the Wx for 10 of those 11 years has been as follows.  1 year was nice the entire time. 

Thursday: oh my god, this is why people live in San Diego. 
Friday: that wasn’t a bad 60 mile run to Aransas. Got on them. Can’t sleep.  Bout to win this bitch. Put another $250 each in the Calcutta. 
Saturday 0330: boat stretching lines on dock. Birds can’t fly straight. 25% of the boats decide Saluria to Pringle might be better than 2nd chain.  Crew bunkers down and lets it rip to Aransas. 
Sunday: maddens was fun but that Lavaca 7 wasn’t worth closing it down. Whataburger in Port Lavaca by 0800 and FML why do we do this shit?  Can’t wait till next year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ha, yeah my buddy and another guy went down to Oyster Lake near Palacios with a couple kayaks.  They caught a few trout but said they ditched the kayaks pdq after blowing out their arms and waded instead.  He said the wind laid some during the night and yesterday morning, but that made the mosquitoes unbearable, even wading.  Kinda glad I couldn’t go.  I’ve been in the mosquitoes down there before and it gets ridiculous.

I swear Palacios has the worst mosquitoes in the state. I was at high school football game there one time and it was just black cloud of baseball sized mosquitoes.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:29 AM, Smax said:

Anyone have some advice for the west coast of Florida? Been talking with a friend who lives in Orlando and the idea of meeting up in a month or 2 when things are "normal" to do some fishing. Were thinking the Tampa area, any charter recs in the area would be appreciated 

I haven’t fished that far north to know any charter guys, but you will be able to cover pretty much any type of fishing you want from there. If you decide on Tampa, I would go over to the Hull Truth and scan the Florida/Georgia forum. There are several guys that post there that run charter operations around Tampa.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I swear Palacios has the worst mosquitoes in the state. I was at high school football game there one time and it was just black cloud of baseball sized mosquitoes.

Anahuac runs a close second.  I used to fish there with an old coonass who would cover his arms, legs, and neck with marsh mud instead of using DEET.  

Fished out of Charlies in Seadrift yesterday. Fish were not where I thought they would be. Did eek out 2 slot reds and lost a nice flounder trying to net him. Caught another rat reds and a potato chip flounder. It was a beautiful day on the water, just wish the fishing was better.

• Like 2

Bass tournaments all cancelled because of COVID. Was supposed to have the championship two weekends ago. Qualified in the #2 spot and am itchin' to get to it. Guess we will hold it sometime this summer. Bag limit goes to 3 fish for summer-time tournaments here so I will need to think through a strategy that differs from the usual best-5 approach. May just throw a gizzard shad swimbait on deep breaks and swing for the fence. I don't think a bag of shakey head fish will do any good. I'll try to post a few pics from practice if I get any. 

• Like 2

Just in case you didn't know, state parks are pre-selling day entry passes. If you do not already have a pass, you may not be able to get into the park if it's sold out.

I got ours on Monday. Some friends were going to join us, but it was sold out last night.

The fiance has never been fishing before and I'm taking her out tomorrow. I'm thinking a spincast looking for sunfish with worms and crickets is our best option for her to get some hits relatively quickly? We have a 2 seat yak, but this will be from the shore of a state lake.

Edited by SimonBolivar

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The fiance has never been fishing before and I'm taking her out tomorrow. I'm thinking a spincast looking for sunfish with worms and crickets is our best option for her to get some hits relatively quickly? We have a 2 seat yak, but this will be from the shore of a state lake.

Worms. Anywhere near a tree or any grass on shoreline.  I take my little ones regularly and can only think of one time we had more than a minute of non-luck. Changed over to worms and it was game on. 

eta: shade.  The love it. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

Any tips for Lake Raven in Huntsville State Park? Taking the wife on a day trip. Never been before, not sure what to expect. I’m a stock pond type of guy so this is out of my area of the expertise.

I think it’s trolling motor only. We camped there a few times with the scouts and there is a fishing dock to use. Seems like I remember the lake being really mossy. Lots of salad unless you are throwing seedless worms or the like. Lots of brush right around the lake end too.

On the left side of the pier, there was/is a board with about a 3” knothole in it. My son caught a dink bass on a roadrunner dropping it down the hole and jigging it. The fish barely made through when he pulled it up.
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Start her like any new fisherperson: push-button reel, any bait you have available (don't use anything slimy or live or dirty or falls off the hook easily - I suggest canned corn or a piece of Berkeley Power Wiggler - I've used a single piece all afternoon before), and go for bluegills/sunfish. Maybe even a clip-on bobber to make it really brainless. Reliably and repeatedly catching <anything> is far more rewarding than catching a trophy for a beginner.

• Like 2

72ceedafc3b09fb7cf47cf1898561c6b.jpg

Out on a local pond in the canoe, both kids were casting paddle tails on 1/8oz jig heads. Daughter landed this toothy bad boy all on her own. I was amazed that no one hooked themselves or each other.

81514df3528a4d35c67c1f2188185142.jpg

I’ve been tying EP Baitfish getting ready for Stripers. This one is about 4” long on a 1/0 SW hook.

I’ve never fished an EP baitfish, I’ll have a floating and sinking line with me. Any tips?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

72ceedafc3b09fb7cf47cf1898561c6b.jpg

Out on a local pond in the canoe, both kids were casting paddle tails on 1/8oz jig heads. Daughter landed this toothy bad boy all on her own. I was amazed that no one hooked themselves or each other.

81514df3528a4d35c67c1f2188185142.jpg

I’ve been tying EP Baitfish getting ready for Stripers. This one is about 4” long on a 1/0 SW hook.

I’ve never fished an EP baitfish, I’ll have a floating and sinking line with me. Any tips?

buy a cheap comb to comb it out when it inevitably fouls the hook and you can't get it sorted with your fingers. I tie a lot of A2Z minnows with EP fiber and EP brushes. They work great on Tarpon and in a smaller tie, Large Mouth Bass. 1/0 is perfect for baby poons and Bass. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure that's a Chain Pickerel.  I've caught lots of those at Lake Caddo.  They are so aggressive and so much fun. 

The only Northern Pike I've ever seen was caught right where Barton Springs Creek empties into Town Lake...it was caught by a dude sitting on a surfboard and throwing a spinner bait.  Maybe in the 1983-85 time frame?  It blew my mind.  Turns out, we stocked all kinds of crazy fish in Texas in the 70s and 80s.   

On 5/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, Masshole Horn said:

Yep, chain pickerel.

I love fly fishing for northerns. Not too many around me, but next time I get back to Minnesota, I’m gonna swap a day of targeting smallies for northerns.

He sure dresses like a northern.  I do all of my northern pike catching in northern Minnesota.

These are saltwater fish. I’m targeting them a little bit upstream from the mouth of a tidal river.

I don’t do a lot of true surf fishing. I need to find some more reliable spots near me. I do have a few spots in some of the smaller bays and coves where I’ve had decent luck.

I also have a new 10wt rod coming in to punch those flies a little further to cover more ground.

• Like 2

We did Baffin floating cabin trip. Weather was an absolute ass kicker. We were out there Friday night when that bad storm hit. Shit hit the fan. Craziest weather I have been a part of. Wind spun the cabin around every direction. Pulled the cleat that one of the boats was tied to. Thankfully it was tied to the post as well. The house next to us was on pier and beam and their boat was tied to the dock and got swamped.

Caught some fish here and there but high winds made it tough to get to some areas. Still better than working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Hopefully taking my son here in a few weeks.  Need to firm up details.  A good friend has this place on the LM at the north side of Baffin.  Incredible place.

IMG-6056-2.jpg

Didn't we PM about this on the old site? I'm friends with his cousin. I haven't been to the new place yet, but that outhouse has saved me a couple times.