5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

https://reason.com/2021/01/27/the-houston-cop-charged-with-murdering-dennis-tuttle-during-a-disastrous-drug-raid-portrays-his-victim-as-the-aggressor/

The Houston Cop Charged With Murdering Dennis Tuttle During a Disastrous Drug Raid Portrays His Victim As the Aggressor

After breaking into Tuttle's home with no legal justification, police killed his dog and his wife.

JACOB SULLUM | 1.27.2021 3:00 PM

Felipe Gallegos, the Houston narcotics officer who was indicted this week for murdering Dennis Tuttle during a disastrous 2019 drug raid based on a fraudulent search warrant affidavit, says he lawfully shot Tuttle in defense of his colleagues. At a press conference yesterday, Gallegos' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, described what happened after plainclothes cops broke into Tuttle's house on January 28, 2019, and immediately used a shotgun to kill his dog. Hardin said Gallegos shot Tuttle, who according to police responded to the violent invasion of his home by grabbing a revolver and firing at the intruders, only after four officers had been wounded.

Hardin made it sound as if the cops were overwhelmed by a barrage of gunfire. But the evidence indicates that nearly all the rounds were fired by the cops, who responded to Tuttle's defense of his home with overwhelming force, shooting blindly and wildly through the front of the house and into walls, cabinets, and the ceiling.

According to Hardin, Tuttle fired just four rounds, all of which hit his targets, striking two officers in the face, one in the neck, and one in the shoulder. That is some pretty impressive shooting, especially for a 59-year-old disabled Navy veteran who, according to a lawyer representing his wife's family, had just been awakened from a nap.

"I don't think he could have shot all of them," Tuttle's uncle told KPRC, Houston's NBC station, in 2019. "You're going to tell me he is capable of doing what they say he did?" KPRC noted that "Tuttle weighed only 112 pounds," and "he had his right hand bandaged and his leg in a brace." Yet Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo insists "there is no evidence of friendly fire in this case."

Hardin said Gallegos was standing near the front porch, toward "the back of the stack" attacking the house. "He hears one officer yell 'I'm hit!'" Hardin said, apparently referring to the first cop through the door. According to Acevedo, that officer was struck in the shoulder after he fired shotgun "rounds" at the dog. At that point, Hardin said, Gallegos "hears some gunshots. He then hears some more gunshots, and then officers are starting to back out."

While the officers are backing out, Hardin said, Officer Cedell Lovings is "shot through the neck, and he falls, and he can't move. Other officers back out. There's more shooting." As the officers try to pull Lovings out, Officer Gerald Goines "is shot in the face to such a degree that…part of his face hangs loose. This is what Officer Gallegos is seeing. There is still an officer inside that has been shot. And then [Gallegos] sees Mr. Tuttle stick his arms out and shoot outside. Another officer is shot in the face. And then ultimately, Officer Gallegos engages in fire with Mr. Tuttle, and Mr. Tuttle is killed."

When police examined Tuttle's revolver, Hardin said, they found that he had fired "four shots," with "two live rounds remaining." Tuttle therefore could not possibly have fired all of the rounds that Hardin says Gallegos heard.

After the first cop through the door was shot, Acevedo said at a press conference the day after the raid, he "fell on the sofa in the living room," at which point Tuttle's 58-year-old wife, Rhogena Nicholas, "reached over the officer and started making a move for his shotgun." At that point, he said, "other officers in the stack that made entry discharged their firearms, striking that female suspect."

A forensic examination commissioned by Nicholas' family contradicted Acevedo's account, finding that she "was fatally struck by a bullet from a weapon fired outside the Harding Street Home by a person shooting from a position where the shooter could not have seen Ms. Nicholas at the time she was fatally shot." After the cops killed Nicholas, Acevedo said, "an exchange of gunfire…continued." That is when Lovings and Goines were shot. "After we had two officers down and another one shot," Acevedo said, "the remaining officers in the stack started laying down cover fire."

According to March 19, 2019, autopsy report from the Harris County Institute for Forensic Sciences, Tuttle was hit at least eight times. He suffered gunshot wounds in his head and neck, chest, left shoulder, left buttock (which was struck twice), left thigh, left forearm, left hand, right wrist, and right forearm (two graze wounds). The report says the chest injury "may represent a re-entrance wound of a fragmented bullet associated with one of the gunshot wounds of the upper extremities." An autopsy report on Nicholas, written the same day, says she was shot in the torso and right thigh.

The Houston Police Department has not publicly said how many rounds the police fired that day. An independent inspection overseen by Michael S. Maloney, a former supervisory special agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, found that several rounds, including the bullet that killed Nicholas, were fired through the exterior wall of the house near the front door. KPRC showed multiple bullet holes in the ceiling and in the kitchen's walls, cabinets, and stovetop.

For two years, Nicholas' mother and brother have been trying to find out exactly what happened during the raid, which was not recorded by body cameras. The city has resisted them at every turn. The information sought by Nicholas' family includes "the bullet count remaining in the weapons used by the HPD and the bullet count in any additional magazines, speed loaders or other devices carried at the time of the incident." They family also wants "medical and ballistics documentation of the wounds sustained by the HPD personnel," along with "ballistics materials that may have been recovered during medical intervention and from protective vests worn during the Harding Street Incident."

Hardin conceded that "it appears [Tuttle and Nicholas] were innocent of drug activity," since the case against them was fabricated by Goines, who as a result faces multiple state and federal charges, including two counts of felony murder. But once Tuttle "started shooting," Hardin said, "he was not innocent."

Hardin argues that Tuttle should have known that the men who invaded his home, killing his dog and his wife, were police officers. While they were not wearing uniforms, he said, "they were dressed in a way" that "anybody would look at them and know they were a police officer." Hardin also claims witnesses heard the cops shout "Police! Search warrant!" as they entered the house—an announcement that Tuttle easily could have missed in the shock and chaos of the raid. Although it was the cops who broke into the house with no legal justification and it was the cops who fired first, Gallegos' defense hinges on portraying Tuttle as the aggressor in this situation.

• Rage+1 3

Yes, a guy awakened from a nap by a gang kicking down his door and shooting his wife and dog, should definitely be able to take one look at their clothes and ascertain that they are cops.

30fa93120174a277067e1cb509479455.jpg

As a noted philosopher from Mexia once put it... “Screw you, Rusty!!!”

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Player said:

Yes, a guy awakened from a nap by a gang kicking down his door and shooting his wife and dog, should definitely be able to take one look at their clothes and ascertain that they are cops.

30fa93120174a277067e1cb509479455.jpg

As a noted philosopher from Mexia once put it... “Screw you, Rusty!!!”

You know how I can tell he's lying?

If those two guys don't look like the PSA poster of "Warning:  This is what two unrelated uncles of yours look like prior to molestation..." 

The fucking rape those two men have partaken in...whoah

Serious question---in this day and age of some bad apple cops finally going to jail for serious crimes.  Where do they put guys like this?  I mean, it takes 15 minutes for somebody in visitation to get word from their visitor's smartphone that a dirty cop is in Cell Block C now...so they run back and tell the whole yard.  The guy can't hide that fact nowadays.  They have special wings for pedophiles because there's so damn many of them.  But they're not gonna construct a whole wing for 5 ex-cops.  So what do they do with them in this digital age?  

As the officers try to pull Lovings out, Officer Gerald Goines "is shot in the face to such a degree that…part of his face hangs loose. This is what Officer Gallegos is seeing. There is still an officer inside that has been shot. And then [Gallegos] sees Mr. Tuttle stick his arms out and shoot outside. Another officer is shot in the face. 

Fucked around and found out, eh Heroes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Serious question---in this day and age of some bad apple cops finally going to jail for serious crimes.  Where do they put guys like this?  I mean, it takes 15 minutes for somebody in visitation to get word from their visitor's smartphone that a dirty cop is in Cell Block C now...so they run back and tell the whole yard.  The guy can't hide that fact nowadays.  They have special wings for pedophiles because there's so damn many of them.  But they're not gonna construct a whole wing for 5 ex-cops.  So what do they do with them in this digital age?  

No special arrangements should be made.  Cops are very fond of the "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" line.

Well, right back atchya fellas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

KPRC noted that "Tuttle weighed only 112 pounds," and "he had his right hand bandaged and his leg in a brace." Yet Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo insists "there is no evidence of friendly fire in this case."

This pisses me off to no end. This poor guy was a disabled veteran, banged up, emaciated, and trying to care for his wife who was still undergoing cancer treatments. According to neighbors, he still somehow managed to take his dog out for a daily walk. 

But instead of simply detaining him while he's out walking the dog and then executing the search warrant, Art's heroes kicked down the door and went in guns blazing. 

I'm with Lat - I really want to see the forensics on Tuttle's gun. 4 for 4, with 2 hits in the face/neck??? After being startled from sleep and while not only taking fire, but being shot himself multiple times? And on top of that his right hand (shooting hand?) is bandaged???

Give me a fucking break. 

Edited by Player

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Seriously?  As far as those bastards are concerned, who cares? They deserve whatever is coming to them in "pound town" prison.

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

Seriously?  As far as those bastards are concerned, who cares? They deserve whatever is coming to them in "pound town" prison.

I'm not concerned.  I'm just interested from a logistics/security standpoint.  For 100 years any cop that was mixed in with GP...they could probably hide who they were.  And then the blue wall came up and none of them went to jail.  But now, it's easy to make their identity and more and more of them are finally getting what they deserve.  I was just curious, not concerned, about what happens to them inside as far as being beaten/killed.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm not concerned.  I'm just interested from a logistics/security standpoint.  For 100 years any cop that was mixed in with GP...they could probably hide who they were.  And then the blue wall came up and none of them went to jail.  But now, it's easy to make their identity and more and more of them are finally getting what they deserve.  I was just curious, not concerned, about what happens to them inside as far as being beaten/killed.  

That's cool.  This whole case just pisses me off so bad that sometimes I miss the subtle nuances of posts here and there.  Sounds bad, but I just want to see the bastards burn... like tomorrow.

Several weeks (maybe a month or so) ago, I happened to be downtown Houston running errands.  i stopped for lunch at the Cleburne Cafeteria.  As I was walking out after I'd finished my meal, I saw Art Acevedo sitting at a 4 top with 3 other cops (all in uniform).  Thinking back on that day, I have regrets that it was a missed opportunity to say something while someone else recorded with a phone.  The thought did cross my mind at the time, but I didn't act on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I saw him coming into the downtown YMCA as we were leaving. I was trying to figure out what to say and then two seconds after passing him I realized I should have said "Hey did your cops rape anyone today?" "Well I guess it's a successful day then huh?

Met him at a party thrown by some Whole Foods big wig out at a gigantic mansion near Lakeway.  I watched him and felt like I needed a shower every time he moved to within 10 feet of where I was. 

The dude is an ass-kissing money chaser pretending to be a cop.  That's it.  That's all he is.

And everywhere he goes he forms a mutual admiration club with a local radio celebrity who'll carry his water no matter what.  In ATX, it was Jeff Ward. In Houston, apparently, it's Michael Berry.  They will cover for him and his Blue Liners to the death.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I want to see Tuttle's revolver.  I don't think he fired a single shot. And what of the double tap that was clearly heard long after the shooting had stopped?  What was that?

Yeah - In the history of.....well..... history, no one goes 4-4 in that situation while under fire...much less coming up out of a nap, shooting weak handed after already being partially ventilated.  

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I saw him coming into the downtown YMCA as we were leaving. I was trying to figure out what to say and then two seconds after passing him I realized I should have said "Hey did your cops rape anyone today?" "Well I guess it's a successful day then huh?

Yeah....one time I thought about walking up and punching him in the face, but I was in a hurry so...

Edited by immortal13

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Cajun said:

The LEO Professional Career Protection Machine humming right along, just gotta hit the "reset" button and BAMO, you're good to go w/a new address and new city/community to fuck over.

Let's be honest... his career was never in jeopardy.  Fuck that guy.  Fuck the lack of accountability.  Fuck the murder of citizens.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Let's be honest... his career was never in jeopardy.  Fuck that guy.  Fuck the lack of accountability.  Fuck the murder of citizens.

Uh huh.  That's because the Machine protects it.

Hence, my post.  Heroes are like a buncha little Judge Smails with guns and badges instead of golf clubs.

"Don't count that, I was interfered with.  Winter rules..."

9Qr2J3@facebook.gif

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Saw this on the local news just now.  

Chief Acevedo is leaving us for Miami..blah blah blah

The earlybird female anchor and field reporter cried his name with such reverence and reporters with such sadness in their voices.

Sickening  

He knows what he's doing.  He saddles up and schmoozes local media wherever he goes.  Many of those fleshy viruses are his go-to enablers and gladly carry water for him.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Rusty Hardin looks a little pervy

I can usually spot a rug a mile away.  But, evidently, if you do frequent rug maintenance like hollywood types do, they're harder to spot.

Looks like the virus may have hindered Rusty's rug maintenance.

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

He knows what he's doing.  He saddles up and schmoozes local media wherever he goes.  Many of those fleshy viruses are his go-to enablers and gladly carry water for him.

He's got the miami mayor duped 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2021/03/15/miami-mayor-tom-brady-of-police-chiefs-gets-top-miami-job/

watching arrested development GIF

• Haha 1