Al_4_ISU

The Black Crowes Thread

So basically, it's an overt money grab where the thing that your dedicated fan base wants to see won't be there.  That is, chemistry between guys who have spent so much time together playing they know when the guy next to them is going to take his next breath, but maybe surprise everyone with the next note.  So that hard core fan base won't be terribly inspired to come see you play because what they want won't be there, but The Brothers Robinson are banking that another group of people (unknown youngsters with a sense of nostalgia for what they've never seen, perhaps?) wants to see you play your 30 year old debut album and disregard everyone else?

Man, I'm not buying it.  This doesn't bode well.  

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So basically, it's an overt money grab where the thing that your dedicated fan base wants to see won't be there.  That is, chemistry between guys who have spent so much time together playing they know when the guy next to them is going to take his next breath, but maybe surprise everyone with the next note.  So that hard core fan base won't be terribly inspired to come see you play because what they want won't be there, but The Brothers Robinson are banking that another group of people (unknown youngsters with a sense of nostalgia for what they've never seen, perhaps?) wants to see you play your 30 year old debut album and disregard everyone else?

Man, I'm not buying it.  This doesn't bode well.  

Literally. Literally.

The reason behind the tour was pretty simple, according to Chris. "We want to celebrate the most commercial part of our life," he said.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8543215/black-crowes-confirm-reunion-tour

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

Literally. Literally.

The reason behind the tour was pretty simple, according to Chris. "We want to celebrate the most commercial part of our life," he said.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8543215/black-crowes-confirm-reunion-tour

Well hell, didn't see that.  Thanks for the correction.

That just doesn't seem to be how you roll out a tour - "Hey, we hate each other and fuck all our old bandmates.  Come see us.  We're not here to entertain you, just dancing bears who want to take your money."

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Well hell, didn't see that.  Thanks for the correction.

That just doesn't seem to be how you roll out a tour - "Hey, we hate each other and fuck all our old bandmates.  Come see us.  We're not here to entertain you, just dancing bears who want to take your money."

Oh I didn't mean it as a correction, I meant it as a corroboration. You're spot on, and I agree, I am somehow still surprised they'd exacerbate the dissatisfaction the diehard fans have with the new lineup by taking the "fuck our old bandmates" attitude. I mean I'm not surprised the Robinson brothers would be assholes. They're assholes. I just mean of all the ways to respond to it, they've picked the most obnoxious one. 

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

JamBase via Rolling Stone says

Chris and Rich will be backed by guitarist Isaiah Mitchell of Earthless and former Tedeschi Trucks Band bassist Tim Lefebvre as well as Once & Future Band members Joel Robinow on keyboards and drummer Raj Ojha

How can they not at least get Marc Ford and Sven Pipien?  Those guys have been playing in The Magpie Salute.  Chris probably blackballed them just to spite Rich.  Those four could at least get away with calling themselves the Black Crowes.

This wasn't Led Zeppelin

spacer.png

No Ford, Gorham or Pipien - Not my money.

Yup.

I think I’d rather spend 25% of the cost of this and see a Black Crowes tribute band.

Gorman was never going to happen but it's shocking that they aren't bringing in Ford and Pipien to establish a legit Crowes tour.   Ticket sales for a nationwide amphitheater/arena tour that isn't skipping many, if any, potential tour spots should be interesting.  

Sounds like a bag of nails in the TMS coffin. Interesting that Rich's last phrase included the word "Omission," which I believe was the first single released by The Magpie Salute.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-black-crowes-play-first-reunion-concert-in-new-york-city-video-setlist/

THE BLACK CROWES played their first reunion show last night (Monday, November 11) at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City. The concert took place just hours after brothers Chris and Rich Robinson announced a 46-date 2020 tour to celebrate the 30th anniversary of THE BLACK CROWES' classic debut album, 1990's "Shake Your Money Maker".

Joining Chris and Rich in the new BLACK CROWES lineup are EARTHLESS guitarist Isaiah Mitchell, former TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND bassist Tim Lefebvre along with ONCE AND FUTURE BAND members Joel Robinow on keyboards and Raj Ojha on drums.

The 60-minute Bowery Ballroom concert in front of a 600-strong crowd saw THE BLACK CROWES perform only the songs from the band's debut, along with the encore cover version of THE ROLLING STONES' "It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)".

The setlist was as follows:

01. Twice As Hard
02. Jealous Again
03. Sister Luck
04. Could I've Been So Blind
05. Seeing Things
06. Hard To Handle
07. Thick N' Thin
08. She Talks To Angels
09. Struttin' Blues
10. Stare It Cold
11. It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)

Regarding the decision to enlist all-new members for THE BLACK CROWES' reunion, Chris told Rolling Stone: "That was the first thing Rich and I agreed on. We don't want anyone from the solo groups. We don't want anyone from the past." Rich added: "In order to make this work. To give Chris and I the space to…" Chris interjected: "Be here right now."

hey look at that, they've finally busted out the "It's Only Rock N Roll" cover they refused to do 21 years ago

51 minutes ago, Lurch said:

So today a caller called into Howard and asked what being in open E tuning was and Howard explained it. Then he went on to say how he couldn’t hear Chris singing but after the performance said how good they were lol

So today a caller called into Howard and asked what being in open E tuning was and Howard explained it. Then he went on to say how he couldn’t hear Chris singing but after the performance said how good they were lol

I wonder if Chris had the same problem. Notice how bothered he is by the headphones

When I got my first drum set, one of the first things I did was put on my headphones, put this CD in my boombox and played along with Hard To Handle

I saw they are coming through The Woodlands in June.  I'm in.  Maybe we can get a Houston Surly group together?  Probably not.