Getting old sucks

Hate

Headed to the surgery table Thursday to have my left shoulder replaced. Not too worried about it after having my right shoulder replaced last June. Excited to not have any shoulder pain.
The surgery went well longer than expected but good per the docs. Pain is much more than the previous 3 shoulder surgeries. Not sure why but meds help. Here's to ROM and mobility.
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Few pictures of the new shoulder 9b927a1498ed11c247bab51fca1da250.jpg0f002bd953ad4bb9cb8f4f9668d520f3.jpg

I assume they install that with a #2 phillips... Maybe they splurge and go with a tamper resistant torx? 

For real, shit looks like a perfect ball (go figure) so how do they torque it and how do they keep it from vibrating loose? 

Edited by B00M
Titanium?

I assume they install that with a #2 phillips... Maybe they splurge and go with a tamper resistant torx? 
For real, shit looks like a perfect ball (go figure) so how do they torque it and how do they keep it from vibrating loose? 
I honestly don't know how it gets torqued and inserted. A buddy of mine was joking about how they probably stripped the head putting it in making it impossible to replace for the next doc.

Here's a close up picture 0677d188ebf93ca2dffb5f2a62261b37.jpg

9 hours ago, B00M said:

Loctite

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Lizard06074t_400x400.jpg

Ya know, the only thing that bugs me is body mutilation. I can understand some piercings (chicks with a tongue stud know wtf they're doing), belly button and clit piercings are caf. But nose rings, ear gauging (sp?), face tats, etc, freak me the fuck out and I'm pretty open minded.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, Dbeasy said:

Every guy under 55 needs to read this post. If you’ve been putting off fun activities that require some strenuous physical activity, like hiking, skiing, etc. GO DO THEM STARTING NOW. You will be very bummed out when your body just seems to break down all of a sudden, making it difficult for you to do things. It can come out of nowhere and happen immediately.

I started learning snowboarding last season at age 49, having never done any snow sports before.  I thought I was going to die on Day 1 and for a few days after.  Got through eventually 5 (non-consecutive) days of lessons and a few practice sessions and then Covid happened and they closed the mountain.  This season it felt like I was re-learning it again, but at least I fall much less and can get off the lifts without falling.  Still sticking with "Greens" for now.    There are plenty of "olds" still doing winter sports from my observation.

When the mountain shut down I reacted by buying a longboard and doing that, also having never done any skateboarding in my life.  That was at age 50.  This Spring I intend to get a mountain bike and take advantage of all the trails around here after having not done that for 11 years.

My point?  I love your advice and am doing the best I can to take advantage before it all goes to complete shit.  I'm slower and it takes me longer to learn, overall I'm having fun.  

I also do something called "Romwod" daily which is basically holding yoga poses for long periods of time...good stretching.  It has made a world of difference.  I have not strength trained in nearly 2 years though, so I need to get back on that soon.  Which I've been telling myself for those same two years....

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:24 PM, Hook1997 said:

I just discovered I have a small belly button hernia, just a really small hole that a small bubble I can feel comes out right now.   How long until this turns into my guts coming out my belly button and I have to have surgery?   It doesn’t hurt or anything yet.

Mine lasted about 6 months.  Little bit lower inguinal. Started out as a small bubble I could push back in.  A few days later repeat.  Next month, little larger and maybe every other day or so.  And so on.   Finally, got larger and pushing out every few hours.  Had to get fixed.  Cool little plastic pad on the inside, spacer and then mesh that they sewed into the muscle.  No problems since.  

Took a spill on cement on my mtn bike.  landed right on my knee.  Right where I have screws.  Other than the road rash my entire lower leg swelled like a balloon and I'm just now getting back on the bike. Almost 2 weeks to recover.  I've admitted I've only got 4-5 more years being able to mtn bike.  Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’m 46 and have always stayed in good shape. No injuries throughout my life and only a broken big toe from dropping a 45 on it.

I stretch 2x a day but man are the tendons/ligaments in my knees tight. Feels like an old rope. I take collagen every day but another other OTC suggestions?

Is the collagen helping?

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

My superpower is that given 5 minutes of quiet, I can fall asleep just about anywhere.

I used to go to a lot of antique auctions with my ex.  I could fall asleep sitting up in a metal folding chair while the auctioneer was yelling and banging his gavel.

• Hook 'Em 1

Y’all are going to laugh at this but I do yoga several times a week because I’m convinced flexibility is super important as I get older.

I’m 52 and at my last physical doc was pretty surprised I could bend over and put my palms flat on the floor.

Then his 6-6 trainee with hands the size of Charles Barkley took over but that’s a different story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, I usually get up pretty early and go to bed early.  I started doing it in my 40's because early morning time is the only time I can really have to myself--back in the day it was gym time or say, watch baseball highlights with no family interruptions.. Now it tends to be studying tech things or even just goofing around, but still my time.

Well this week, my body decided that 3:30 AM every day is when I need to get up.  It has sucked. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, I usually get up pretty early and go to bed early.  I started doing it in my 40's because early morning time is the only time I can really have to myself--back in the day it was gym time or say, watch baseball highlights with no family interruptions.. Now it tends to be studying tech things or even just goofing around, but still my time.

Well this week, my body decided that 3:30 AM every day is when I need to get up.  It has sucked. 

No one cares...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I call that, "a bout of the 2AM's"

I will get at least 3 weeks of it a year.  Fucking sucks.

Same here.  I usually get up around 4:30am during the week for work, but lately have been waking up at 2am, and it sucks.  What REALLY sucks is when it happens on the weekend for weeks on end.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Same here.  I usually get up around 4:30am during the week for work, but lately have been waking up at 2am, and it sucks.  What REALLY sucks is when it happens on the weekend for weeks on end.

What makes it worse is when you finally fall back asleep 15 minute before the alarm goes off.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’m 46 and have always stayed in good shape. No injuries throughout my life and only a broken big toe from dropping a 45 on it.

I stretch 2x a day but man are the tendons/ligaments in my knees tight. Feels like an old rope. I take collagen every day but another other OTC suggestions?

Voltaren is the shit.  Won't help with loosening up the tendons, but it will help with the pain and swelling after you've loosened them up with a foam roller.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Y’all are going to laugh at this but I do yoga several times a week because I’m convinced flexibility is super important as I get older.

I wish I had started doing that earlier. My back is fucked up, but I've been on a regular stretching routine to try to improve it.

At the age of 50, I now have plantar fasciitis in both feet.  Has been hell trying to find shoes that don't kill my feet. When I wake up in the morning, I have to flex my feet back and forth for a few minutes so that I can half ass walk when I get out of bed.  

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, leaf said:

At the age of 50, I now have plantar fasciitis in both feet.  Has been hell trying to find shoes that don't kill my feet. When I wake up in the morning, I have to flex my feet back and forth for a few minutes so that I can half ass walk when I get out of bed.  

As they, your mileage may vary, but this is one of the things that seemed to help me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT7L1CZ?psc=1

The other thing that helped me was a few minutes of using my toes to pick up things like socks or golf balls.  After a few reps then would stretch the toes out---like imagine trying to reach to the sky with then.  I'm obviously not anything close to a doctor, but I'm rarely bothered by it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roll over a double lacrosse ball. It will loosen things up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1