Voter Suppression

Pancho

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I attempted to help my mom fill out a mail-in ballot application but she was denied because she failed to enter 1 required field. Honest mistake filling out a long govt form. Should I retain a criminal lawyer?

Suspicious Pop Tv GIF by Big Brother After Dark

You committed a felony in Texas 

Remember when voting rights security was something that received bipartisan support in the Congress?
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/washington/21vote.html

What the hell happened?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/us/politics/voting-rights-act.html

A federal appeals court moved on Monday to drastically weaken the Voting Rights Act, issuing a ruling that would effectively bar private citizens and civil rights groups from filing lawsuits under a central provision of the landmark civil rights law.

The ruling, made by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, found that only the federal government could bring a legal challenge under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, a crucial part of the law that prohibits election or voting practices that discriminate against Americans based on race.

The opinion is almost certain to be appealed to the Supreme Court. The court’s current conservative majority has issued several key decisions in recent years that have weakened the Voting Rights Act. But the justices have upheld the law in other instances, including in a June ruling that found Alabama had drawn a racially discriminatory congressional map.

45 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The opinion is almost certain to be appealed to the Supreme Court. The court’s current conservative majority has issued several key decisions in recent years that have weakened the Voting Rights Act. But the justices have upheld the law in other instances, including in a June ruling that found Alabama had drawn a racially discriminatory congressional map.

IANAL question: Is there a point where they will stop bringing these to the Supreme Court or will they just keep trying over and over until the bought and paid for goons in SCOTUS relent?

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

IANAL question: Is there a point where they will stop bringing these to the Supreme Court or will they just keep trying over and over until the bought and paid for goons in SCOTUS relent?

Conservatives are all in on the if you can’t beat ‘em, cheat ‘em strategy for the long haul.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We will need to follow the drama of Texas’ Gillespie County (Fredericksburg) GOP as they’ve decided to hand count all ballots in the primary election this year.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/21/texas-republicans-hand-count-votes-election-2024/

Everyone including the state officials have advised them of the extra costs, mistakes and eventual lawsuits but the county gop leader says he doesn’t understand the fuss. Counting ain’t difficult according to him. They’re now recruiting and training 100 extra workers.

as a reminder their 3 person county election department all quit in 2022 after repeated harassment from far-right activists. As an aside should we even add the “far” anymore? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 6:29 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We will need to follow the drama of Texas’ Gillespie County (Fredericksburg) GOP as they’ve decided to hand count all ballots in the primary election this year.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/21/texas-republicans-hand-count-votes-election-2024/

Everyone including the state officials have advised them of the extra costs, mistakes and eventual lawsuits but the county gop leader says he doesn’t understand the fuss. Counting ain’t difficult according to him. They’re now recruiting and training 100 extra workers.

as a reminder their 3 person county election department all quit in 2022 after repeated harassment from far-right activists. As an aside should we even add the “far” anymore? 

dumber than rocks

6 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

You already can’t use a student ID in Texas I thought.

you’re probably right. I know they’ve talked about getting rid of on campus polling stations, for student safety / less likely a mass shooting happens. they knew that wouldn’t fly, so I believe college campuses can only have one polling station and no early voting 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

you’re probably right. I know they’ve talked about getting rid of on campus polling stations, for student safety / less likely a mass shooting happens. they knew that wouldn’t fly, so I believe college campuses can only have one polling station and no early voting 

Since when does hot wheels Abbott and potty Patrick worry about school shootings?  They just shrug their shoulders, send their meager thoughts and prayers, and go about their business like nothing happened.

sounds like a convenient excuse or a ruse to prevent people they don’t like from voting.

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

You already can’t use a student ID in Texas I thought.

• Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
  • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
  • Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS
  • Texas Handgun License issued by DPS*******
  • United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
  • United States Passport (book or card)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The plan is working ….

It took my daughter three tries.  We have an unusual and dirty-messican last name.  It was the basis for their rejections.

Of course, the DPS just flat-out CHANGED my fucking middle name.

Look fuckers....votin' and drivin' and just having basic rights are for people with REAL 'MURICAN NAMES, like "Patrick," and "Abbott," and "Paxton."  If you want to register to vote with your dirty messican name, why don't you just go vote in Mexico, beaner!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It took my daughter three tries.  We have an unusual and dirty-messican last name.  It was the basis for their rejections.

Of course, the DPS just flat-out CHANGED my fucking middle name.

Look fuckers....votin' and drivin' and just having basic rights are for people with REAL 'MURICAN NAMES, like "Patrick," and "Abbott," and "Paxton."  If you want to register to vote with your dirty messican name, why don't you just go vote in Mexico, beaner!

Look pancho, go cut the grass and don’t worry about elections 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing this is the default redistricting thread. There's some ongoing discussion in the SOTU thread spurred on by the existence of Troy Nehls. 

I have Ronny Jackson. I used to have Burgess, but he's going to be replaced with the SIL of Dinesh. Scott Armey tried, but it was epic fail. 

Denton got cracked. Lewisville the same.

For the life of me I can't remember the fucker's name that drew the maps. One very nerdy guy that had it down to the street level. 

I don't know what the current status is on the court case. But, I'm not very optimistic about it. 

Some plaintiffs’ lawyers said the Supreme Court’s ruling would not change much of their approach to those claims, while others said the decision clarified the complex legal framework needed to prove a violation of Section 2. But they agreed that the court’s ruling dispatched some of the arguments states like Texas might look to in defending against their challenges.

“One of the things that the majority did is it really refused to rewrite Section 2 along the lines of various arguments that defendants are raising across the country,” said Yurij Rudensky, who serves as a redistricting counsel for the Brennan Center for Justice and represents a group of plaintiffs in the Texas case.

Like Alabama, Texas had argued in court that Section 2 does not apply to redistricting at all — an assertion the Supreme Court’s majority disagreed with explicitly in its decision.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06/13/texas-redistricting-lawsuits/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does Chief Justice Roberts know this kind of thing is still happening?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wing-operatives-jacob-wohl-jack-220938188.html

Far-right operatives Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have agreed to pay New York Attorney General Letitia James' office up to $1.2 million for a robocall campaign they put together to suppress the Black vote ahead of the 2020 election.

“Wohl and Burkman orchestrated a depraved and disinformation-ridden campaign to intimidate Black voters in an attempt to sway the election in favor of their preferred candidate. Now they will pay up to $1.25 million," James said in a statement Tuesday announcing the agreement, which still needs to be approved by a judge.

James filed suit in 2021 against the pair, who were known for smearing President Donald Trump's political opponents with transparently false accusations. The suit alleged that Wohl and Burkman were responsible for more than 5,000 robocalls filled with misinformation about voting in New York in August 2020.

The speaker on the call identified herself as “Tamika Taylor of Project 1599” and falsely claimed that voting by mail would result in voters’ having their personal information used by the police to track old warrants and allow credit card companies to collect debts and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to track people for mandatory vaccinations.

• Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Most of conservative America has never gotten over the election of Barack Obama. It’s the only thing that explains this obsession with black voter suppression.

While that's true, they never really got over the election of Bill Clinton either. After Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Big Bush, a Democrat holding the Oval Office was considered heretical to their beliefs that only a Republican had the God-given right to sit at that desk.

I don't know how old you are (so you may not remember), but the reaction that the GOP had to Clinton's election was a huge fucking freakout, too, resulting in all kinds of crazy conspiratorial shit fueled by the likes of Rush Limbaugh and the militia movement, black helicopters, Ruby Ridge, OKC bombing, etc. Riding that wave of rage, the GOP taking over the House for the first time in a generation and Newt Gingrich's Contract with America bullshit along with the rise of the anti-immigrant, isolationist, paleo-conservative (i.e., fascist) Pat Buchanan. If you go back and watch his speeches or thousands of hours as a teevee commentator, he really was the prototype for Trump.

A lot of former Republicans on this board didn't see it at the time (or were too young), but the early 90s, in my view, was when the GOP truly began to radicalize. It just took Obama's election, a wave of Islamophobia, Lou Dobb's incessant bleating about the Border Crisis, the Great Recession, and 20 years of Fox News (at that point) to seal the deal in turning the GOP into the abomination that it is today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Satchel said:

Most of conservative America has never gotten over the election of Barack Obama. It’s the only thing that explains this obsession with black voter suppression.

Most of conservative white America has never gotten over the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. Reagan hated them. They’ve had an obsession with suppressing the black vote since emancipation. 

• Like 3

Between NE & ME, they've held 11 aggregate presidential elections with split electoral college votes.  The majority of those took place under right/centre-right SCOTUS with ample time for GOP Presidents (particularly Trump to challenge them via Solicitor/Amicus/et. al.  They chose not to.  I imagine that's all about to wildly change if this 2028 Compact goes into effect given the battleground states on that map.  By 2032, after the next re-draw, it'll be quashed.  But it a number of those states actually go through with it JUST in 2028..............................grab a musket.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:16 PM, Satchel said:

Does Chief Justice Roberts know this kind of thing is still happening?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wing-operatives-jacob-wohl-jack-220938188.html

Far-right operatives Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman have agreed to pay New York Attorney General Letitia James' office up to $1.2 million for a robocall campaign they put together to suppress the Black vote ahead of the 2020 election.

“Wohl and Burkman orchestrated a depraved and disinformation-ridden campaign to intimidate Black voters in an attempt to sway the election in favor of their preferred candidate. Now they will pay up to $1.25 million," James said in a statement Tuesday announcing the agreement, which still needs to be approved by a judge.

James filed suit in 2021 against the pair, who were known for smearing President Donald Trump's political opponents with transparently false accusations. The suit alleged that Wohl and Burkman were responsible for more than 5,000 robocalls filled with misinformation about voting in New York in August 2020.

The speaker on the call identified herself as “Tamika Taylor of Project 1599” and falsely claimed that voting by mail would result in voters’ having their personal information used by the police to track old warrants and allow credit card companies to collect debts and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to track people for mandatory vaccinations.

Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

Supremes can't (well shouldn't but they are hacks so who knows?) do shit. Article II, Section 1:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Suck it originalists! States also allocated their EV's proportionally until the 1820s IIRC. Basically a partisan arms race forced both parties to go winner take all in states they control and now we're stuck. 

Fair warning, I dork out on Electoral College stuff. There are several potential remedies for the EV. Some require amending the Constitution, others require Congressional action. The obvious one is an amendment that mandates the President be the person who received a plurality of the popular vote. A 75% supermajority of Congress or the states is... not happening so that's out. I think the National Popular Vote Compact is a novel solution, and I think it's Constitutionally sound but my check from Harlan Crow hasn't cleared yet.

The other option is to just increase the size of the House -- something we did with every census until 1920. A 1929 law that set the maximum number of voting members in the House at 435 is the only obstacle. Increasing the size of the House is beneficial because it doesn't just alleviate the problem with the Electoral College. It increases the size of the House and helps to assure that representatives are closer to their constituents.

I did a quick spreadsheet using the 2020 census to figure out what difference this would make. I took the state with the lowest population (Wyoming) and gave them 1 Rep, then gave every other state with less than double the population of WY one Rep as well. Once I reached the first state with more than double Wyoming's population (Maine) I gave them another rep. I continued to use this method. Using this system, the House grew by 116 seats, from 435 to 551 reps (Electoral Votes went from 538 to 654). 68 of the new reps reps were from states that voted for Biden in 2020, and 48 were from Trump states. Assuming every state votes the same way in 2024 as they did in 2020, Biden would win the 2024 election with 369 EV's to 285 for Trump (Using the current EV allocation Biden would win 301-237 in 2024, lower than his 306-232 victory in 2020). This system would assure that the Rep per constituent ratio would drop to 1:506,827, as opposed to the 1:762,000 ratio that is currently in place. For comparison, Britain, Germany, and Japan respectively have 1 representative per every 101,000, 116,000, and 270,000 persons.

An interesting alternative is The Congressional Apportionment Amendment. The Bill of Rights had twelve amendments, not ten. The first amendment did not protect freedom of religion, press, speech and protest. It required Congress to regularly expand in order to ensure that representatives were truly representing their constituents. Ten of the twelve amendments were ratified in 1791. The original second amendment -- which ordered that any Congressionally approved pay raise cannot take effect until a subsequent House is seated -- eventually became the 27th amendment in 1992, when a University of Texas graduate led a campaign to ratify it after he received a C in his government class on a paper that asserted the amendment (approved by 7 states) was still valid. The original first amendment has already been ratified by 11 states, and requires 27 more states to do so in order for it to become the 28th amendment and complete originalist intents by ratifying the 12 amendments in the Bill of Rights. This would also ensure that the more populous states are not unfairly underrepresented in presidential elections.

Edited by VivaNaranja
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

For funsies 

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Supreme Court thread going to be lit when this comes to fruition. 

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Between NE & ME, they've held 11 aggregate presidential elections with split electoral college votes.  The majority of those took place under right/centre-right SCOTUS with ample time for GOP Presidents (particularly Trump to challenge them via Solicitor/Amicus/et. al.  They chose not to.  I imagine that's all about to wildly change if this 2028 Compact goes into effect given the battleground states on that map.  By 2032, after the next re-draw, it'll be quashed.  But it a number of those states actually go through with it JUST in 2028..............................grab a musket.

Have to think Cali and other progressive states won’t join until this current climate is mitigated.