ERhine

New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

11 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Thanks!  I'll put that on my list.

BTW, I was going to find a place to watch the Cowboys play on Sunday afternoon.  Got any good recs for a place with good beer, food, but most of all good TVs?

The only time I’ve watched a game down here, it was at a strip club because the cowboys were playing the saints and they had $2 beer.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

The only time I’ve watched a game down here, it was at a strip club because the cowboys were playing the saints and they had $2 beer.

I'll bring that up, but I have a feeling the GF will shoot it down quickly...

59 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Manning’s has plenty of tvs and booze.
Food has become better.

We'll be coming directly from Willa Jean's brunch.  Doubt we'll be very hungry...

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Manning’s has plenty of tvs and booze.
Food has become better.

Great TV setup.   Weren't enough bartenders when I went there about a month ago but I'm guessing that was just an aberration.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, kevwun said:

After a 2nd visit, I am gonna go ahead and say Brennan’s has the best breakfast in New Orleans.  Everything I’ve had there is perfect.

Have not been since the new chef started, good to hear it's not dropped off. 

Willa jeans was fine, but it wasn’t amazing or anything.  Their biscuits are too dense I think.  Hangover bowl was good, but will make you need to take a nap.

Saba was ridiculous .  There were 8 in our group and we did the tasting menu.  The amount of food we got was crazy.  3 kinds of hummus with enough bread to feed an army and then roasted lamb shoulder and 2 whole chickens.  It would have fed 12 or 14.

Edited by kevwun

On 11/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, Ag with kids said:

Well, based on a number of recs from on here, I added GW Fins as our Tuesday reservation.  I'm planning on the Tempura Fin Wings as one of our meals.  What else should we look at trying?  NOTE:  The GF is not an oyster fan (her loss), but I am...

The fins wings are amazing. If they have the royal red shrimp app get that, i could make a meal out of those. And the crispy pork belly. And as said above the scalibut is an excellent choice. Or the black drum with chicken crackling crust. Also the pompano is legit.

Edited by 4th and 5

I’ve had the swordfish also and liked it.  This time I had the sheepshead and wasn’t crazy about it.  It was Parmesan encrusted and they overcooked it.  The risotto that comes with scalibut has royal red shrimp in it instead of lobster right now.  They didn’t have the app with them though.

Edited by kevwun

I'm sure Commander's Palace has been mentioned but I went recently had a whiskey smash (4).  Best cocktail I've ever had in my life.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:37 PM, Chooky said:

I'm sure Commander's Palace has been mentioned but I went recently had a whiskey smash (4).  Best cocktail I've ever had in my life.

First, just decided that we can make a family trip to NOLA work between Xmas and New Years.

Second, after talking up Commanders to the kids for years (they're now 18 and 16), I managed to get us a lunch reservation on Friday.  Turtle soup.  Bread pudding souffle.  And whatever else we order in between...looking forward to it.

Also thinking of a meal at Saba (we're actually meeting some SUPER-Jewish friends in NOLA on the 29th, and we do a lot of cooking and trading gourmet recipes with them, so it seems right up our mutual alley).

Otherwise....I dunno.  Gotta have some poboys.  Gotta have a muffuletta or three.  The usual.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, Chooky said:

3 lemon wedges

4 fresh spearmint leaves

1 ounce orange curaçao

2 ounces Maker’s Mark

1 sprig fresh spearmint

Muddle the lemon wedges, mint leaves, and curaçao in a bar glass.

Add the bourbon and ice and shake well.

Strain the drink into a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish with the mint sprig.

Serve immediately. 

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

First, just decided that we can make a family trip to NOLA work between Xmas and New Years.

Second, after talking up Commanders to the kids for years (they're now 18 and 16), I managed to get us a lunch reservation on Friday.  Turtle soup.  Bread pudding souffle.  And whatever else we order in between...looking forward to it.

Also thinking of a meal at Saba (we're actually meeting some SUPER-Jewish friends in NOLA on the 29th, and we do a lot of cooking and trading gourmet recipes with them, so it seems right up our mutual alley).

Otherwise....I dunno.  Gotta have some poboys.  Gotta have a muffuletta or three.  The usual.

Both Butcher and Stein's make damn good muffulettas.

In other news,  I might be headed for divorce if my wife doesn't get a shrimp poboy from Parkway next trip. 

Both Butcher and Stein's make damn good muffulettas.
In other news,  I might be headed for divorce if my wife doesn't get a shrimp poboy from Parkway next trip. 

Parkway is SO on our list. Although we may be staying right down the street from Mahoney’s....decisions....

Is Mahoney’s good?  We always stay at the chateau lemoyne that is a block or 2 away.