Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

15 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why does so many people, including CDC, bring up that Shaka is a great person? If he is a great person, go be his friend, invite him to your superbowl watching party, but don't pay the man $3m+ every year to suck at his job. Nice people rarely make great coaches.

my hope is that CDC mentions it to keep up appearances while secretly plotting Shaka's demise behind his back. 

multiple times in recent days i've said something to the effect of, "if CDC doesn't fire Shaka then he deserves to be fired", and i want to clarify exactly what i mean: i think he's going to fire Shaka. i've actually met CDC on a number of occasions and he has always struck me as someone who walks the walk of position as important and esteemed as the AD of Texas. My sense of him has always been that he is anything but milquetoast, and as such I fully expect him to can this fraud of a coach and being in someone well vetted who's ready to win right away. or at least evidently prove his worth pretty quickly. i believe in CDC. he's gonna do the right thing. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He's kind of the reverse Weltlich. Kaiser Bob couldn't recruit fleas to a dog pound, but he did know the fundamentals of the game. Shaka, meanwhile, can sell sand to a camel, but barely knows how to find the actual court.

Just weird, if you think about it.

Weltlich played boring basketball. Shaka plays really shitty basketball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

multiple times in recent days i've said something to the effect of, "if CDC doesn't fire Shaka then he deserves to be fired", and i want to clarify exactly what i mean: i think he's going to fire Shaka. i've actually met CDC on a number of occasions and he has always struck me as someone who walks the walk of position as important and esteemed as the AD of Texas. My sense of him has always been that he is anything but milquetoast, and as such I fully expect him to can this fraud of a coach and being in someone well vetted who's ready to win right away. or at least evidently prove his worth pretty quickly. i believe in CDC. he's gonna do the right thing. 

I hope you're right, Derka. I don't share the same optimism. We'll see what goes down after the conclusion of the Big 12 tourney and NIT or inevitable one and done in the NCAA tourney. I'm on board with Beilien 99.9%, he's there for the taking. I'd take 5 years of Beilien opposed to another five years of the fraud in a heart beat.

22 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Regarding our coaching hires (all sports), do you think we try and learn from poor mistakes? It seems we sure do fuck up a lot. Not just recently, but over the last 40 years. When I semi decent coach is hired, we do well.

I think the universal truth about coaches is they all eventually wear out their welcome.  Looking at some past coaches, I think someone could do a study and find out that a coach’s first 5 years will be better than his last 5.  I just looked and found out weltlich was coach of the year in the sec before coming to Texas, and was coach of the year here, the one really good year here. 

Someone in AD realized those years were as good as it’s gonna get, and said goodbye.

I think UTs big mistake is not knowing when to say goodbye.  

Look at Akers, was a good hire.  7 great years.  I guess you blame the Georgia loss on a coach not telling players to stay away from the punt.  Remember, it was the defense on the field for 4th down, because the coaches didn’t believe Georgia would punt the ball.  

Blame Dodds for not saying goodbye after the Freedom Bowl massacre.  Everyone in Austin knew after the freedom bowl massacre, yet he lasted 2 more years.  

Can an AD help a coach become better over time? I don’t think so.  

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Does Shaka's contract have offset language if he coaches somewhere else?? 

Just hoping Texas is able to recuperate some of the $10mill buyout when Shakablah is FIRED!!

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does Shaka's contract have offset language if he coaches somewhere else?? 

Just hoping Texas is able to recuperate some of the $10mill buyout when Shakablah is FIRED!!

For some strange reason, I think we'll be able to recuperate. Call me fucking crazy.

• Haha 2

It was time to move on from Rick Barnes who was 108-65 his last 5 years and go in a new direction. However, Shaka is presently 90-81 in his first five years at Texas. He's consistently recruited better than anyone in the conference not named KU and has nothing to show for it but a losing record in the Big 12 three out of five years finishing .500 this season during a down year in the conference when nobody outside of Baylor/KU appears like they could even sniff the Sweet 16.

Recruitment class rankings in the Big 12 :

2015 Texas 2nd

2016 Texas 1st

2017 Texas 1st

2018 Texas 2nd

2019 Texas 3rd

Where are the results?

Edited by Chad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

There is more blame.  There should never ever be granted a 7 year contract.  Who negotiates this stuff?  Even if Perrin hadn’t extended .Shaka, he would still have 2 years left.  

Steve Patterson, who should have his UT degree revoked.

15 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

There is more blame.  There should never ever be granted a 7 year contract.  Who negotiates this stuff?  Even if Perrin hadn’t extended .Shaka, he would still have 2 years left.  

Not to worry. Our AD only has a 7 year guaranteed contract worth about $20 mil. There will be accountability!

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why does so many people, including CDC, bring up that Shaka is a great person? If he is a great person, go be his friend, invite him to your superbowl watching party, but don't pay the man $3m+ every year to suck at his job. Nice people rarely make great coaches.

AD’s saying a coach is a great guy is pretty much the media snippet equivalent of leading the coach out to pasture. It’s right up there with coaches saying they aren’t leaving. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

AD’s saying a coach is a great guy is pretty much the media snippet equivalent of leading the coach out to pasture. It’s right up there with coaches saying they aren’t leaving. 

I think most of us would like to believe that Shaka is gone after the season is over but we really don't know how CDC reacts to these kinds of situations. I don't think money would be an issue. The buyout would most likely be somewhat offset by Shaka's salary elsewhere. My nervousness stems from the fact that ever since CDC arrived, word out of Belmont has been that we needed stability to right the ship. I hope we don't keep the status quo in the name of so-called stability. Watching this team is like watching Trials of Gabriel  Hernandez. 

Edited by ShowMeALoss
  • Like 1

we are still in Lunardi's bracket this morning, but out of Palm's bracket

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

my hope is that CDC mentions it to keep up appearances while secretly plotting Shaka's demise behind his back. 

I like how this makes me think CDC is trying to figure out when he can get Shaka alone in a stairwell and push him down the stairs, or poison Shaka's daily soy latte, or cut the brakes on his Prius, rather than write him a check for $10m 

Shaka needs to go. I’m concerned we squeak into the tourney and his life-support system stays on. Please show me examples of coaches who’ve been canned even though they made the tourney....as we’ve all seen....the five-year record speaks for itself.

22 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Please show me examples of coaches who’ve been canned even though they made the tourney....as we’ve all seen....the five-year record speaks for itself.

and if we're going to play tired games of analogy which won't actually illuminate anything, let's please limit said examples to a relevant time frame so we can avoid hearing how Kansas wanted to fire James Naismith at one point

11 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Isn't there an offset in Shaka's buyout clause so that his buyout would be reduced by any compensation he receives elsewhere? Isn't that pretty much standard these days? 

Quick google comes up with this from BON saying that his contract is fully guaranteed through 2022-2023

Based on this DMN article: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2015/05/13/see-the-full-details-of-shaka-smart-s-contract-with-the-texas-longhorns/

Again, a quick google didn't find anything specific about offsets but I would think if it is fully guaranteed offsets wouldn't apply?

Edited by NoName

11 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Everyone was after Shaka and Texas of all places pulled it off. Did you think we were getting him for peanuts and a 3 year deal?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

if it is fully guaranteed offsets wouldn't apply?

We need to see the contract itself, but:

"Fully guaranteed" doesn't mean anything in the context of "Shaka leaves for another job". The minute he voluntarily terminates his employment, the contract stops being guaranteed. It doesn't say "we'll pay you your salary even if you quit to take another job". 

The question I have is, what is Shaka's buyout if he voluntarily terminates for another job. If he wants to quit on his contract, what if anything does he owe US? That's the offset question that matters. 

The way a skilled athletic director will work it is, if he wants to fire Smrt but knows that another school (Shithead State) wants to hire him, he might agree to a small payout against the overall guarantee as an offset against Smrt's total compensation at Shithead State. He wouldn't want to fire Smrt outright, knowing he'd then have to pay out the full value of the contract even as Smrt led Shithead State to another stellar 19-15 record after another. Assuming Smrt owes a buyout if he quits tomorrow to leave for SHSU, then the trade might be "we'll waive your buyout to us, and we'll pay you $3m out of the $10m, so you can leave tomorrow without being fired". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Quick google comes up with this from BON saying that his contract is fully guaranteed through 2022-2023

Based on this DMN article: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2015/05/13/see-the-full-details-of-shaka-smart-s-contract-with-the-texas-longhorns/

Again, a quick google didn't find anything specific about offsets but I would think if it is fully guaranteed offsets wouldn't apply?

27 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We need to see the contract itself, but:

"Fully guaranteed" doesn't mean anything in the context of "Shaka leaves for another job". The minute he voluntarily terminates his employment, the contract stops being guaranteed. It doesn't say "we'll pay you your salary even if you quit to take another job". 

The question I have is, what is Shaka's buyout if he voluntarily terminates for another job. If he wants to quit on his contract, what if anything does he owe US? That's the offset question that matters. 

The way a skilled athletic director will work it is, if he wants to fire Smrt but knows that another school (Shithead State) wants to hire him, he might agree to a small payout against the overall guarantee as an offset against Smrt's total compensation at Shithead State. He wouldn't want to fire Smrt outright, knowing he'd then have to pay out the full value of the contract even as Smrt led Shithead State to another stellar 19-15 record after another. Assuming Smrt owes a buyout if he quits tomorrow to leave for SHSU, then the trade might be "we'll waive your buyout to us, and we'll pay you $3m out of the $10m, so you can leave tomorrow without being fired". 

This. If Shaka voluntarily leaves, then he’s owed nothing but that obviously won’t happen.
Either another school will want him and Texas works out a deal where the new school pays him a reasonable salary and Texas makes up the difference to get him to his current level of pay, or we fire Shaka and some small school hires him and pays him nothing for the next three years because they know we’re on the line for his salary. 

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Everyone was after Shaka and Texas of all places pulled it off. Did you think we were getting him for peanuts and a 3 year deal?

yep like lemmings off a cliff.  our Ath Dept in a nutshell.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:15 PM, ztejas said:

We weren't blinded. We were optimistic and hopeful like some fans are. I always want things to come out on top for Texas. If they look like they have a shot at making the tourney, or winning a couple of games in the tourney, or just winning a game or two in the B12 tournament, then I always want them to achieve that. But all of that has more to do with the name across the jersey than whoever the fuck the coach is. I feel like I can support the team and want the coach gone at the same time. 

Yeah, I was hoping that a late season run into the tournament would mean Shaka would leave for a different job, because he was in demand again. That way, Texas would be financially better off without having to buy out Shaka. Plus the players would get a chance to play in the real tournament.

Now we are liking facing Tech in a winner take all game on Thursday with the likelihood of having to pay Shaka $10M to go away when he loses.

25 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

To complicate matters, the stock market and oil price collapse are not going to help with the buyout. If the economy heads into recession, as many are expecting now, all bets are off. We might be stuck with shakalaka for another year or two.

Or 3

74b0638f4f6b43a1a55f72b457d5c10f.jpg

what a fucking loser. he's practically flaunting his own ineptitude, like he's asking to be fired.

"we just kept imploring our guys to go win the next round." hey Shaka, you're a basketball coach, not a fucking corner man, and even if you were a corner man, imploring your fighter to "go win the next round" over and over would still be shitty, empty, meaningless "coaching". oh, and to then admit that you could see early on that they just didn't have it in them to fight back because they were in such complete shock? get the fuck out of Austin you lame-ass fucking fraud. you're an embarrassment. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ufortunately Saturday was exactly who they are.  they just had a really good shooting streak end.

exactly. a more accurate quote would have been, "the last five games, i've felt we were the opposite of who we've been the last 4+ years." 

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

This guy fucked over our school more than anyone could have imagined when he was hired, which is saying a lot considering this picture exists. 

bxsasdoccaapuoo.0.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

exactly. a more accurate quote would have been, "the last five games, i've felt we were the opposite of who we've been the last 4+ years." 

and the shooting streak actually ended against OU. OU happened to have a shitty shooting night also and then Matt Coleman opened the bank(which was awesome because Fuck OU).  I just can't imagine any AD worth his salt keeping a guy who couldn't win ONE NCAA tourney game in 5 years but then again I'm completely shell shocked due to shitty athletics for a solid decade.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, I was hoping that a late season run into the tournament would mean Shaka would leave for a different job, because he was in demand again. That way, Texas would be financially better off without having to buy out Shaka. Plus the players would get a chance to play in the real tournament.

Now we are liking facing Tech in a winner take all game on Thursday with the likelihood of having to pay Shaka $10M to go away when he loses.

A coach that is so bad, that he will be paid $10M just to go away.  Let that soak in.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

So the Texas Tech game on Thu is a play in game for the tournament and deciding factor in Shaka's job.

Not necessarily a play in game for the tournament because it also depends on if there are any bid stealers who win their conference tournamnets. 

We need to win and keep winning.  I'm not sure that winning 1 game is enough. 

Remember, we went from being solidly in the field...then went to the last team in the field and now (as of this morning) we are the 2nd to last team in for Lunardi and completely out for Palm. 

Edited by Pancho

Texas' national rankings in the 22 categories tracked by Sports-Reference 

51- BLK

91- 3PA

102- 3PM

176- 3P%

178- 2P%

219- TO

226- PF

231- FG%

248- FGA

253- OREB

260- FT%

269- STL

271- FGM

288-AST

297- 2PM

306- 2PA

317- TRB

318- PTS

320- DREB

326- PPG

352- FTA

353- FTM

Top 100 in: 3PA and blocks

between 101-200 in: 3PM, 3P%, 2P%

ranked between 248-353 in: fourteen different categories 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not necessarily a play in game for the tournament because it also depends on if there are any bid stealers who win their conference tournamnets. 

We need to win and keep winning.  I'm not sure that winning 1 game is enough. 

Remember, we went from being solidly in the field...then went to the last team in the field and now (as of this morning) we are the 2nd to last team in for Lunardi and completely out for Palm. 

Palm said that the Texas/Tech game is a winner is in scenario.

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Texas' national rankings in the 22 categories tracked by Sports-Reference 

51- BLK

91- 3PA

102- 3PM

176- 3P%

178- 2P%

219- TO

226- PF

231- FG%

248- FGA

253- OREB

260- FT%

269- STL

271- FGM

288-AST

297- 2PM

306- 2PA

317- TRB

318- PTS

320- DREB

326- PPG

352- FTA

353- FTM

Top 100 in: 3PA and blocks

between 101-200 in: 3PM, 3P%, 2P%

ranked between 248-353 in: fourteen different categories 

I am shocked our second best category is 3PA. I, for sure, thought we would rank first there. Obviously, something for the team to work on.

Edited by ShowMeALoss

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic
  • immamac locked this topic