SF, Napa, Carmel in October

wild_turkey

Going to California for 7 nights this October with the wife. Saturday is TX-OU in Dallas so we can’t leave until after that, thus it’s 7 nights and not 9 nights.

SF (2 nights) - The first 2 nights will be in SF because I have a work related conference. We already booked the Palace Hotel and the conference is in that area. No plans as far as dinners, plus I’d like a couple sight seeing can’t miss activities. I’ve been to SF before but it was also for work and I never even saw the GGB.

Napa (2 nights) - We love wine but we probably have a limited tolerance for all day winery touring and crowds of tourists, so that’s why only 2 nights. We would also consider a half day (afternoon) in Sonoma on the day we drive from SF to Napa. Is that reasonable? Where should we stay? Assuming we can’t get French Laundry reservations, what other good restaurants should we try for?

Carmel (3 nights) - Hang out in Carmel, visit Monterey, drive around Big Sur, any specifics I’m missing? Also appreciate hotel and restaurant recommendations for Carmel.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Going to California for 7 nights this October with the wife. Saturday is TX-OU in Dallas so we can’t leave until after that, thus it’s 7 nights and not 9 nights.

SF (2 nights) - The first 2 nights will be in SF because I have a work related conference. We already booked the Palace Hotel and the conference is in that area. No plans as far as dinners, plus I’d like a couple sight seeing can’t miss activities. I’ve been to SF before but it was also for work and I never even saw the GGB.

Napa (2 nights) - We love wine but we probably have a limited tolerance for all day winery touring and crowds of tourists, so that’s why only 2 nights. We would also consider a half day (afternoon) in Sonoma on the day we drive from SF to Napa. Is that reasonable? Where should we stay? Assuming we can’t get French Laundry reservations, what other good restaurants should we try for?

Carmel (3 nights) - Hang out in Carmel, visit Monterey, drive around Big Sur, any specifics I’m missing? Also appreciate hotel and restaurant recommendations for Carmel.

Thanks.

Carmel and Big Sur are awesome   

Le Biceclette for dinner was good in Carmel. Ventanas in Big Sur near Post Ranch Inn is just a hell of a good place for lunch.  Hell of a view and good food at reasonable prices   

We do airbnb places there.  Going in 3 weeks.  Clint Eastwood’s hotel and restaurant combo looks like a cool place to stay and it’s reasonable.  Mission Ranch in.  

Just got back from a trip in May.

In Napa, visit Keller’s other joints, I.e., Bouchon and Addendum. Make sure and check out the gardens for French Laundry across the street. It’s impressive AF.

As far as tastings, I can not recommend the Cakebread one highly enough. Great setup, staff, setting, everything. It’s going to be an “every time” thing for us for any future trips out there.

Alcatraz is obviously a huge tourist attraction but it is really cool. It's crowd controlled so hordes of people isn't an issue. I believe they do night tours - we didn't get a chance to do that but I think it would be dope. It is the one tourist attraction I would say is a can't miss.

GGB is cool obviously. For us, driving over it a couple times and seeing it from afar was enough but I think there is a museum and such.

The natural areas are obviously worth hitting as well. We were going to do Muir Woods but it was so damn crowded once we got down there that we decidedit was better off to skip (we aren't necessarily big fans of huge crowds, if you can't tell). It is iconic though, I'd like to see it at some point. Two alternatives I'd recommend if you're also looking for something a bit more low-key:

1.) Mt. Tamalpias: State park in Marin County. Mountain hiking and a really cool panoramic view of the bay and the cities at the top, as well as a dramatic view down to the ocean. You can see the Sierra Nevada on a clear day with good air quality.

2.) Purisima Creek Redwoods: There are several open space preserves on the peninsula, we ended up hiking this one as an alternative to Muir Woods. Really impressive redwood forest and we only aw a handful of people there. You'll need a car to access it, but it is worth the drive if you guys enjoy hiking, and it's certainly an environment you can't get in TX.

As for food, you'd be hard pressed not to eat well in SF or wine country. I don't have a lot of particular recs. We ate very well up there, the one place I remember in particular was a French place in the Mission district called Garcon. Small place but really good, nice intimate vibe.

Enjoy your trip. Northern California is a special part of the world.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Have the burned areas recovered any?

The worst fire damage was in Sonoma county — esp. Santa Rosa.  Napa had some fire damage from the 2017 fires, but it was contained to specific areas.  Very few wineries were directly affected (damage-wise) in Napa.  Main issue in Napa has been perceived (and in some cases actual) smoke taint to some of the later-harvested cab grapes.

Big Sur - we stayed at Treebones Resort and absolutely loved it. No cell service and we didn’t mind that one bit. Had probably the best culinary experience of our lives at The Sushi Bar (at Treebones). You’ll need a reservation if you go and I highly recommend you do. Great view of the pacific.

Also recommend you try Nepenthe in Big Sur. Great views and a nice place to relax with a few drinks.

Carmel - only went here briefly (played pebble beach) but get breakfast at Katy’s place. I got a dungeness crab omelette there - it slammed and went hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prepare your anus. Carmel is not cheap. I can’t remember the name but this is a cafe/ice cream shop off ocean avenue if I remember right.

83ea5b0cec5aa10c5ecb04cb7ce09050.jpg

There is an amazing cheese shop there though in this kind of shopping center place. I’m sure someone can correct me on where it is

31 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Flights are booked, hotel in SF is booked, just need to make some decisions on where to stay in Napa and Carmel. Looks like there are also some good suggestions in The Napa / Sonoma Wine Thread.

We've always stayed at the Cypress Inn. A little antiquey (I know that isn't a word) but its a great location. Parking is a bitch though. Parking is a bitch everywhere in Carmel though. 

We're doing close to the same trip in August.  Flying into SJC on a Saturday and driving down to Big Sur for a few days and then up to Napa to depart SFO on that Thursday.  I'll probably ask a few questions and I work on the itinerary with the first being, is there anything to see on the way down from SJC to Carmel or should we just plan on doing a straight shot to Carmel?  Our biggest stops are going to be Carmel, Big Sur, and Napa.  We might spent some time in SF, but for some reason that city just doesn't appeal to me too much.  

On 7/8/2019 at 2:21 PM, JSB said:

We've always stayed at the Cypress Inn. A little antiquey (I know that isn't a word) but its a great location. Parking is a bitch though. Parking is a bitch everywhere in Carmel though. 

Going to use Uber when we go in two weeks.  Fuck parking there. 

We're doing close to the same trip in August.  Flying into SJC on a Saturday and driving down to Big Sur for a few days and then up to Napa to depart SFO on that Thursday.  I'll probably ask a few questions and I work on the itinerary with the first being, is there anything to see on the way down from SJC to Carmel or should we just plan on doing a straight shot to Carmel?  Our biggest stops are going to be Carmel, Big Sur, and Napa.  We might spent some time in SF, but for some reason that city just doesn't appeal to me too much.  

With respect to anything to see between San Jose and Carmel (& especially given that you’ll later be seeing Big Sur) I’d say no other than I love a quick stop off at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (reminds me of the State Fair of Texas midway but next to the ocean and was a filming location for The Lost Boys and Us) and there are plenty of touristy things you can do in Monterey (Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey Bay Aquarium) though one of my favorite places to visit in that area is Lovers Point Park in next door Pacific Grove. Park your car there, take about a 15 minute or so walk down south/southeast (though I also like the walk to the north) along the trail next to the ocean down to Berwick Park (you’ll see a sculpture of two whales off to the right) and then head back. Love that area in particular and would always visit if I were in the area (& have even picked where I’ve stayed to be in proximity to that area). Now that you’ve given me a reason to look, here’s a pic from my recent visit:

a6aeb7404c6ce8eb3babd4e55e619377.jpg

If you like golf, or even if you don't, having drinks and/or lunch outside on the patio at the Lodge at Pebble Beach is a great experience. Nice view of the Pacific coastline and I could watch the golfers hit into the 18th hole all day.

• Like 1

If you can't get into French Laundry, look into Meadowood. It's fantastic.

If no kids, then try a spa in Calistoga which is a little north of Napa. We like Solage for mud baths. It's really nice and instead of sitting in hot mud that other people (and their filth) have been sitting in, they give you a bucket of clean mud and a private heated room so that you and the Mrs can paint hot mud on each others' naked bodies, lounge around, have sexy time, etc. The entire room turns into a big shower and there's also and outdoor private shower. Then they give you a mineral bath and a massage. It's super nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to booking Hotel Yountville for that portion of the trip. The hotel looks really nice and I think we snagged the last room, so good thing I didn't procrastinate any longer.

Decided to stay in Yountville and not Napa because the Yountville dining options are more appealing to us,. Given that dinner is the last big thing of the day, it would be nice to just walk home from there.

The French Laundry is probably not happening because they are booked. It's apparently much easier to get a table for 4 people than a table for 2 people. Added our names to the wait list just in case.

Apart from that, it looks like most of the restaurants in Yountville are amazing. We will probably do Bouchon for dinner, then maybe Bistro Jeanty, Bottega, or Ad Hoc. Appreciate any suggestions with regards to that.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:35 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Going to use Uber when we go in two weeks.  Fuck parking there. 

Went to LA Thursday.   Messed around a couple days there plus a night in Santa Monica   

Drove from Santa Monica to Solvang yesterday.  Spent some time in Santa Barbara.  Jesus it’s awesome.  Had lunch at Superica Taqueria.  Had the special.  Some type of braised pork and cheese.  Was excellent  

Did some tastings around Solvang and ate the happy hour menu at hotel bar (Landsby).  Was pretty solid.  Still on Texas time, so woke up at 5 and walked all over town for about 90 minutes. Then cleaned up and took kids for pancakes while wife packed up.  Had lunch on Moonstone Beach   It was a gorgeous view of the Pacific   Saw Elephant Seals at Piedras Blanca.   Noped out of Hearst Castle.   Screwed around at Jade Cove for one hour   Kids stacked rocks and found two pieces of Jade   Next stop was at Limekiln Park   We hiked to the waterfall   It was gorgeous   Then to our rental in Carmel Highlands just south of Point Lobos.  We are in a barn style casita with a fantastic view of the Pacific   Place is priced fair too   

Parking not an issue in Carmel tonight.  Ate at Cultura and had the mole.  It was great.  Taking kids to do shit in Monterey tomorrow that they want to do. Aquarium.  Wharf.  Going to eat dinner at Mission Ranch.  Then do next few days in Carmel and Big Sur.  

Then 5 nights in Tahoe before coming back to Houston. 

Big Sur and Carmel are two of my favorite places I’ve been. 

On 7/27/2019 at 12:50 PM, wild_turkey said:

Finally got around to booking Hotel Yountville for that portion of the trip. The hotel looks really nice and I think we snagged the last room, so good thing I didn't procrastinate any longer.

Decided to stay in Yountville and not Napa because the Yountville dining options are more appealing to us,. Given that dinner is the last big thing of the day, it would be nice to just walk home from there.

The French Laundry is probably not happening because they are booked. It's apparently much easier to get a table for 4 people than a table for 2 people. Added our names to the wait list just in case.

Apart from that, it looks like most of the restaurants in Yountville are amazing. We will probably do Bouchon for dinner, then maybe Bistro Jeanty, Bottega, or Ad Hoc. Appreciate any suggestions with regards to that.

You need to have lunch at Addendum

Bottega is good, but Brasswood in St. Helena is better for Italian

Bistro Jeanty is very good. It’s a small place and will be busy but every single thing on the menu is great. Highly recommend. 

I had a great meal at Nepenthe back in April.  Tough to beat the surroundings and view from that place.

One of my favorite breakfast places in the world, Em Le in Carmel, closed a year or so ago due to dispute with their landlord. I’ve heard they reopened under another name ... ask around and order one of their Eggs Benedict plates with crumbled sausage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I had a great meal at Nepenthe back in April.  Tough to beat the surroundings and view from that place.

One of my favorite breakfast places in the world, Em Le in Carmel, closed a year or so ago due to dispute with their landlord. I’ve heard they reopened under another name ... ask around and order one of their Eggs Benedict plates with crumbled sausage. 

May have lunch there tomorrow.  Going to do one lunch and a dinner at Sur House at Ventanas.  That place has a hell of a view.  Actually like their view and food better than Post Ranch Inn (and it’s much lighter on the wallet).  

Going to have lunch at the Wharf today and dinner at Mission Ranch.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, wild_turkey said:

Make sure you do Bouchon Bakery for breakfast.  It is finominle.

We ate at French Laundry, Ad Hoc and Redd when we were out there.  While they were all very good (FL one of the best meals I've ever had), I would rate them in that order.  Couldn't get in to Bottega and Bouchon was closed for some reason.  

4 hours ago, AustinMT said:

You need to have lunch at Addendum

Bottega is good, but Brasswood in St. Helena is better for Italian

We usually hit up Addendum for breakfast, the duck egg breakfast sandwich and a bloodymary. Love that place

I did the same trip with the wife 7 or 8 years ago. It began as a Napa trip, but we called an audible to Carmel when we found out she was pregnant. Spent weekend in SF and watched the TX-OU game there at the Texas Exes event (good times). 

Pro tip:  Fleet Week is going on while you are there. It’s one of the most badass things I’ve done. We scheduled our Alcatraz trip by accident  while it was going on, and we ended up stopping and watching from the Rock. It’s an amazing view. The ferry rides to and from were amazing as well. We cancelled our plans the following day and found a cool park by the bay to watch. Mixed in some touristy things on the way and after. I’d go back to SF just to do that again. 

Edited by Pibald
Can’t get pics of wife to upload

I also happened to be there during Fleet Week a couple of years ago & even when we were on Alcatraz and agree it was pretty cool. Ships out on the water and all types of planes flying around and at low altitude throughout. Non of these pictures do it just but here were a couple I took. My son was convinced that the Blue Angels were following him around the whole weekend as they seemed to be flying by wherever we were.

9a67ecfadbd0fc92b2182f4a8e4dd30f.jpg

a67cb8f0accd5e39cb1e45bdefe94a5e.jpg

8200ba2279d1c11c5e36c4b828c52b7f.jpg

a7263ffaca156d3e380178b8d0db1f77.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone wanting to do a private wine tour, I can't recommend this company enough.  Dude named Austin owns/operates it and does a fantastic job.  He'll customize it to whatever level/experience you're looking for, makes it feel exclusive without feeling stuffy, passionate with tons of knowledge yet doesn't judge if you're a wine dumbass and ends up getting a little too drunk, like me.  Highlight of our trip.

https://www.noblewt.com/

This thread is better than any.  I have a Sunday (this Sunday) to do something after company retreat at Spanish Bay. Want to go to Big Sur.  Is Nepenthe the place to go for lunch?  Ventanas?  

Nepenthe is my go-to meal in Big Sur. I get the Ambrosia Burger. Is it the greatest burger I’ve ever had? Nope. Is the the burger with the best view I’ve ever had? Yep. Plus it gets you far enough into Big Sur that you get to see a lot of the “highlight” places if you have the time to stop off (Point Lobos’ Cypress Grove Trail, Pfeiffer Beach and Keyhole Rock and Bixby Creek Bridge) plus McWay Falls is about 15 minutes past there if you have the time. While all of the Big Sur drove all the way down to San Simeon and Morro Bay is great, that first “half” until about McWay Falls is my favorite part.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This thread is better than any.  I have a Sunday (this Sunday) to do something after company retreat at Spanish Bay. Want to go to Big Sur.  Is Nepenthe the place to go for lunch?  Ventanas?  

I would do Ventanas.  It's a hell of a view with good food at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone wanting to do a private wine tour, I can't recommend this company enough.  Dude named Austin owns/operates it and does a fantastic job.  He'll customize it to whatever level/experience you're looking for, makes it feel exclusive without feeling stuffy, passionate with tons of knowledge yet doesn't judge if you're a wine dumbass and ends up getting a little too drunk, like me.  Highlight of our trip.

https://www.noblewt.com/

Second.  We did this. Austin was awesome and will also help you find Pliny the Elder in Sonoma if you want to mix it up with some beer.  

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
11 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:
Second.  We did this. Austin was awesome and will also help you find Pliny the Elder in Sonoma if you want to mix it up with some beer.  

You know you can just drive 30 min to visit where Pliny is made, right?

Right. But convincing the wife to go to a brewery on a wine tour is problematic.  I can have Pliny at lunch and she can have her Chardonnay.  

• Like 1

Right. But convincing the wife to go to a brewery on a wine tour is problematic.  I can have Pliny at lunch and she can have her Chardonnay.  
Understandable but for future reference, tell wife youre making a pit stop, run into brewey ( the one in windsor) go to store side, grab six or 12 out of cooler, pay and leave. Shouldnt take more then 5 mins and youre next to westside road with all the amazing pinot vinyards

By the way, speaking of Pliny and Big Sur, on one of my swings through the area, the Big Sur Taphouse (around 5 minutes from Nepenthe?) had Pliny bottles for sale (had one there and took one home). I think it just depends on if they had someone go and mule them for the brewery. Plus, the Big Sur Deli next door to it has coolers with beers including singles. They’re overpriced but it’s always a nice way to pick up some Alvarado Street beers as singles (including recent releases that are no longer for sale at the brewery/restaurant).

• Like 1

Check out Reddwood in Yountville. Probably my personal favorite in Yountville. Kind of low key but everything is made from scratch and is perfect.  It’s not the French Laundry, but what else is?  Botega is really good too. Thomas Keller’s bakery is fantastic for grabbing breakfast and coffee.  His bistro is not worth a damn in my opinion. Bouchon Bistro might have been the most disappointing meal I ever had. Out of all his restaurants, I surprised it’s still open.  Look at Mustards or gotts roadside for lunch. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

What retreat were you out here for?  I’m sitting at SJC airport waiting for flight back to Austin. Came out for a buddy’s 50th and stayed in Carmel-by-the sea. Played Pebble Spyglass and Pacific Grove. Weather out here is amazing. Dreading going back to the heat.