The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 hours ago, ajax said:

I'm getting back into guitar again because my son picked it up. He's learning old songs and we listened to Night Ranger's "don't tell me you love me".

Holy shit. I never realize how hard those solos were. They were a little bit before my time so I didn't know it but both those guitar players in Night Ranger were badasses.

That's Brad Gillis.  He is a certified badass.

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's Brad Gillis.  He is a certified badass.

There is some dude on youtube/instagram who will take suggestions for guitar solos.  He sits on his couch and records them.  It is pretty cool.  I can't find his stuff right now but this dude slows it down before playing it.  

<csb> Night Ranger was woodshedding for several weeks in the big room at ARC (Austin Rehearsal Complex) after they got huge.  They were doing some recording and in hallway conversations one of their guys (can't remember, I think it was Jack Blades) told me "hey, we're gonna sell this console after we're done, you should buy it".  I thought I might be getting a line on a cool old board, maybe a small Trident or Neve, so I enthusiastically said "hell yeah, I'd love to check it out!".

He brought me into the room and it was a Mackie 32/8.  They wanted almost list for it. <not so csb>

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I LOVE the very last part of Watson's solo that happens at 2:50.  

OK, so I watched that solo, and I agree that it's pretty great.  

But then I kept watching and they have a long shot of the goofy-ass keyboard player hunched over his synthesizer.  And I just thought, "Yep.  They all wanted to punch him in the face."  Was I projecting based on my own garage band experience?   Or is it more universal?

Weren't we all in the band with the goofy keys guy, who one day announced at band practice, "Hey, guys.  I'm getting a keytar so that I can stand out there with y'all!"  

Yeah, um, no fucking way, man.  Also:  button up your fucking shirt.  

And quit wearing that fucking hat.

14 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

OK, so I watched that solo, and I agree that it's pretty great.  

But then I kept watching and they have a long shot of the goofy-ass keyboard player hunched over his synthesizer.  And I just thought, "Yep.  They all wanted to punch him in the face."  Was I projecting based on my own garage band experience?   Or is it more universal?

Weren't we all in the band with the goofy keys guy, who one day announced at band practice, "Hey, guys.  I'm getting a keytar so that I can stand out there with y'all!"  

Yeah, um, no fucking way, man.  Also:  button up your fucking shirt.  

And quit wearing that fucking hat.

My take exactly, and I play keys better than I play guitar, but I've never gone on stage without a guitar to offset the stupid keyboard (which I cram off to the side).

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

They had a good deal on an open box MIM Standard strat for like $429 last night...before windows updated my PC to being inoperable, otherwise I would post a link,.

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Just found a set (neck plus bridge) of TV Jones pickups that I had forgotten about.   Silver color.

They retail for about $130 each.  

Anybody interested for $100 (for both)?

I can send you a photo of what I’ve got - you might have to supply mounting screws.  

New?  Used?  Would they only work in a hollowbody or might they work in a custom-routed solid or chambered Strat/Tele? 

I feel the urge to build a Frankencaster.

Used.  

Pretty sure same dimensions as these, plus they each have a little piece of black plastic trim on top:

https://reverb.com/item/1288320-tv-jones-power-tron-universal-mount-chrome-bridge-pickup

On the back, one says "Power Tron Neck" and the other says "Power Tron Plus Bridge."  I think that's how they're paired.  

Those TV Jones Powertrons are in my Gretsch Billy-Bo and they sound great. Similar to the Filtertrons in my 6120, but a little hotter. It's the classic Gretsch Twang with a touch of overdrive - and nothing sounds like a Gretsch. I've long wanted to build a Tele with a pair of Filtertrons, and those would do, but it's hard for me to justify building a guitar right now while I'm having to store half the ones I have at a friend's house for space issues. If you don't get any other takers I may take them of your hands to store in my spare parts box until the day comes that I'm ready to build that guitar. Another idea would be to drop them in my Gibson SG for something different.

If any of you other assholes are thinking a a build, this is a great deal on some fantastic pickups being offered by our friend.

54 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've long wanted to build a Tele with a pair of Filtertrons, and those would do, but it's hard for me to justify building a guitar right now while I'm having to store half the ones I have at a friend's house for space issues. 

That's not how this thread works.

• Like 1

I've been Jonesin' for a Les Paul Jr. with P90s. A double cutaway would be the ultimate, but too pricey. I thought about picking up one of the cheapo Epiphones, and still might. Haven't stumbled on the right deal and right condition yet. But I was thinking that kind of guitar might be one of the easier bodies to build...from scratch (sort of). I have access to a bunch of black walnut slabs, should work fine for that. I think that could be my first half of a guitar build some time in the not too terribly distant future.

• Like 1

Night Ranger was woodshedding for several weeks in the big room at ARC (Austin Rehearsal Complex) after they got huge.  They were doing some recording and in hallway conversations one of their guys (can't remember, I think it was Jack Blades) told me "hey, we're gonna sell this console after we're done, you should buy it".  I thought I might be getting a line on a cool old board, maybe a small Trident or Neve, so I enthusiastically said "hell yeah, I'd love to check it out!".
He brought me into the room and it was a Mackie 32/8.  They wanted almost list for it.

Can you please tell this story again in Guitarese? No hablo boardish.

Honest opinions, please. I've been whittling away at my vinyl floor tile Strat pickguard in the last couple of weeks, before I was delayed by other life issues. I cut it just a little thin on the lower left corner where my thumb is, but I think it would be OK assuming I get the screw holes and other holes right. Still needs to be smoothed out a little.

What do you think if its potential?

tilepg.jpg

A. Black pickup covers will look best.

B. White pickup covers will look best.

C. Aged white pickup covers (not pictured) would look best.

D. Either way, it will look cool on a black Strat. But who's going to wax it once a month?

E. It will look like some dork slapped a goofy looking hunk of linoleum on a decent guitar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ajax said:

I just helped my son change strings for the first time. His guitar has a floyd. What a pain in the ass. Ugh.

I'm sure there's some trick to keeping it in tune but hell if I know. Close is good enough. 

I unloaded that Charvel quickly partly because of that. Pain in the ass is right.

Forget the Floyd Rose, I can’t even keep my G&L in tune after changing the strings. I changed one string, retuned before changing the next string, and the damn thing keeps going out of tune.

I’m going to add a 4th spring (like I had on my old HWY-1 Strat) to see its more stable. But for now I want to pull my hair out trying to keep it in tune. 

Forget the Floyd Rose, I can’t even keep my G&L in tune after changing the strings. I changed one string, retuned before changing the next string, and the damn thing keeps going out of tune.
I’m going to add a 4th spring (like I had on my old HWY-1 Strat) to see its more stable. But for now I want to pull my hair out trying to keep it in tune. 

I’m confused. Are you tuning in between changing individual strings?

Also, are you stretching them?

Yeah, tuning after changing each individual string is a recipe for heartburn.  There's not point.  I mean, I pull it up to rough pitch but that's it.  After that, tug on the string pretty hard, it will go flat, bring it back up to rough pitch, maybe tug on it again, bring back to pitch and move on.

It's gonna take a little time to settle in.

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m confused. Are you tuning in between changing individual strings?

Also, are you stretching them?

Yes, I’m tuning (the string) after changing it. E.g. I change the B string and tune it to B before moving onto the high E.

I do that on my Tele and LP clone, and when I get to the high E, the other strings are still in tune.

So what you guys are saying is change all the strings and THEN tune the whole thing? 

I’ll still add the 4th spring anyway since I like the whammy a little stiffer.