The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

40 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

just traded some guns I didn't shoot for a Les Paul that I won't play.  As with everything, I now want to upgrade the LP.  The LP is Studio and I want a Custom Shop now...fml.

38 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Never been there but I did see some cool ass shit here https://cartervintage.com/

How many guns would I have to trade for that 1958 LP?  I also have some gently played with Star Wars toys I could throw in.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

just traded some guns I didn't shoot for a Les Paul that I won't play.  As with everything, I now want to upgrade the LP.  The LP is Studio and I want a Custom Shop now...fml.

Best upgrade is go get a decent second hand Standard or Custom. I won't talk you out of a custom shop if you want it, but dollar for dollar there's better values out there.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ok 2 things....

1) With the exchange rate....  shop for guitars at places in the UK.  You won't pay vat, the exchange rate is good, and you won't pay US tax....  so it's cheap.  Exploit the globalism.

That ugly Joe Strummer tele is $1342 shipped from https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220610387264008--fender-joe-strummer-telecaster-black-rosewood-fingerboard

(picture omitted)

2) Because of you assholes I bought a Squire Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster (used on Craigslist) and now I have to figure out how to play it. 

Also ProAudioStar is apparently selling "New" squire guitars as used for $249...but it seems like a guitar lottery.  (full disclosure I ordered a Butterscotch blond 50's Classic vibe and it was a 5 piece 9lbs 14oz anchor... so I ate $15 in shipping to return it)

more here https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/deal-alerts.195662/  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Seems high -- quick check shows $4300 from Sweetwater, free shipping, and from what I understand Sweetwater will negotiation.  Not buying someone else's potential problems, either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Well I just bought a '99 American Standard Strat. 900 dollars, couldn't afford not to.

very close to the 98 AS, which everyone knows is the #1 vintage

actually I'm curious if there are any differences at all. I'm trying to think of what outside of the normal stuff they had going on with the American Standard's of that vintage. Something something delta tone pickups - the tone knob for the bridge pickup kinda "clicks" when you dime it, and I think that's something about removing the tone pot out of the signal altogether when you have it open full bore. Let's see if my 20 year old recollection of what that's about remains correct....

Edited by Celery Man

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it does

yeah that's exactly what that was. probably no to almost no difference in reality, and if you notice a little bit of a hitch in the last bit of the rotation of the tone knob, that's what is going on.

Sheeit mang. I gotta TBX in my 95 Strat Plus. I'm all about funny feelings in my tone knobs. <MichealScottThatsWhatSheSaid>

17 minutes ago, G650 said:

I literally keep it in the detent position all the time. I only use the front tone knob.

Mine was on my tele.  So only one tone knob.  I tend to run the tone knob lower than full on the bridge pickup and all the way full on the neck.  I liked how it sounded with the extra presence on the neck pickup.  So in switching pickups neck to bridge, there always was the tedious hunting for the detent, then bringing it down more.  It's easier without it on the tele.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Tone knobs. The long forgotten tools of everyone who complains about their sound.

The guitar volume knob isn't far behind. 

From your lips to God's ears.

My Overdrive pedal is turning up my volume knob.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Mine was on my tele.  So only one tone knob.  I tend to run the tone knob lower than full on the bridge pickup and all the way full on the neck.  I liked how it sounded with the extra presence on the neck pickup.  So in switching pickups neck to bridge, there always was the tedious hunting for the detent, then bringing it down more.  It's easier without it on the tele.

Oh yeah for sure, on a Tele it's gotta go.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

People who don't like speed knobs on Gibsons probably never touch them to begin with.

Lol. I think my 77 LP is on its third set of speed knobs because I've worn so many out.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Sorry for a non-guitar-god question… but what does “detent” mean?

The point (usually center) where the knob has resistance to turning in either direction.  Think of a volume knob on a piece of audio gear that has maybe a couple dozen distinct angular positions.  Each is a detent.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Sorry for a non-guitar-god question… but what does “detent” mean?

In this case, it's a double ganged pot tone knob.  The detent (feels like a little notch like JJ described) is half way up.  So from 0--Detent is like a regular tone knob.  From the Detent--Full allows "more bass, treble, presence and output to flow to your amp.”  TBX = "Treble Bass Expander"

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/the-fender-tbx-tone-control-part-1

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Kind of interesting...

Fender CEO Andy Mooney has spoken again of his "shock" at discovering half of new guitar players are female, a percentage the company had underestimated previously.

The company's research following Mooney's arrival at the company in 2015 unearthed data that would dictate its roadmap in the following years and came from the CEO's desire to find out who was buying Fender guitars.

"Everybody had an opinion, but nobody had any data," Mooney told entrepreneur(opens in new tab).  "So we gathered it, and out of that came five insights that guide everything we've done since."

Mooney has spoken about the impact of those insights before, and three of them concerned female players specifically. "50% of new players are women, which was a complete shocker to the company," continued Mooney. "Women were predominantly buying acoustic guitars. Women were buying guitars online because in the brick-and-mortar stores there was nobody to relate to, and they weren't getting treated well. So all of those insights influenced our marketing, our Artist signature series—and it essentially created [online education platform] Fender Play."

The discoveries regarding female players buying acoustic guitars likely influenced the bold development and continued investment of the Acoustasonic series – a hybrid between the acoustic and electric guitar. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-female-guitarists?

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been saying it here for a while, the future if Rock and Roll is female. Look at jj's daughter's band. Almost every local / small bill i see has at least one female band on it and usually at least one female member in most of the other bands.

I remember reading there was a big spile in guitar sales to women shortly after Taylor Swift broke, and I credit her with starting that revolution. I have nothing to back that up and I'm not very familiar with her music.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've been saying it here for a while, the future if Rock and Roll is female. Look at jj's daughter's band. Almost every local / small bill i see has at least one female band on it and usually at least one female member in most of the other bands.

I've been counseling them to push back on the "girl band" angle.  It's demeaning and unnecessary.  When confronted with it, just ask "are the Foo Fighters a boy band?"

Girls can rawk.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

I'm not surprised at the number of ladies buying guitars. Seems like every time I visit youtube or social media shares there are more hot chicks playing the hell out of guitars, or young girls playing complex stuff better than almost all of us could.

I'm not sure who or what inspired it, specifically, but it seems like a real thing over the past several years.

Maybe cheap ukuleles are a gateway drug.