The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just got a SD Custom hb put in the bridge of my strat. Holy mother of angus does this thing sound good. Oh and wired so that position 2 is a single tap.

And I threw a set of Lindy Fralins in the tele. Sounds very nice. Plus I swapped the white for a chrome pick guard. Because the world can always use more chrome.

Can't get much better than Fralins.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, CTC2 said:

M2205358-front-xlarge.jpgBroke down over Labor Day sale time and picked up this Martin 000-15m. Remember if you ever want to buy something from Sweetwater to call them and ask for a better price.  They went down almost $200 from the advertised price. 

Guitar plays nice and I am eager to see how it sounds once it opens up. 

oh hell yeah.  that's a great guitar, mine is one of my favorites to just pick up whenever

That's a nice looking tortoise shell on the denim guitar. I wish I could find them like that. Tortoise shell is such a crap shoot to order and not know what you're getting. Either too red, too brown, too toilet seat, not speckly enough, too dark...always something.

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

382017a8243c65f132addbf46112c166.jpg

In general I'm not a big fan of black guitars, but damn that Strat is beautiful.  Really nice balance of black knobs, etc. on the black body, with the multi-layer pickguard, but it gets taken to the top by the maple neck with black dots.

Damn.  I want one.  On the list it goes.

• Like 1

So...I asked for a satin finish back of the neck.  This is clearly glossy.  What's amusing, is that they sent me pics of the finish in progress and notes in black marker saying "Satin" on the masking tape.  On the other hand, I didn't ask for flame maple, which is an upgrade and the gloss actually brings out the flame.  Given it took them about three times as long to get it to me as advertised, I think I'm just going to call it a day and take it as it is.  

Idiot - This project is emulating a '66 neck, which had blocks, hence blocks over dots.  Fender had a unique design on their blocks which no one else but GuitarMill does.  They did a good (not perfect, when compared with an original 66) job of emulating the inlays.  

Now lets hope it fits and plays properly...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

So...I asked for a satin finish back of the neck.  This is clearly glossy.  What's amusing, is that they sent me pics of the finish in progress and notes in black marker saying "Satin" on the masking tape.  On the other hand, I didn't ask for flame maple, which is an upgrade and the gloss actually brings out the flame.  Given it took them about three times as long to get it to me as advertised, I think I'm just going to call it a day and take it as it is.  

Idiot - This project is emulating a '66 neck, which had blocks, hence blocks over dots.  Fender had a unique design on their blocks which no one else but GuitarMill does.  They did a good (not perfect, when compared with an original 66) job of emulating the inlays.  

Now lets hope it fits and plays properly...

Better pic of the binding? Anxious to see the finished.

..fondled a similar neck in the candy store the other day...can't remember if it was dot or block but it was glorious...and not cheap. 

I just prefer the satin to glossy on the back side (front of the headstock was always supposed to be glossy).  IIt isn't really enough to make a fuss about at this point as the flame is really a positive offsetting factor.  

I'll get some pics of the binding when I get home, but on that point, they actually did better than I had anticipated.  It's got a nice curve to it rather than a sharp edge, so I expect it to play pretty well.  

That’s cool. On the black strat above the guy that works on it sanded all the regular Fender gloss finish off the back and fretboard, then treated it with some sort of carnuba wax to keep moisture out. The frets were 18 years old so I had him replace them with big 6100 wire. Hands down the best neck I’ve ever played now. Just fantastic. It just had its 20th birthday this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool. On the black strat above the guy that works on it sanded all the regular Fender gloss finish off the back and fretboard, then treated it with some sort of carnuba wax to keep moisture out. The frets were 18 years old so I had him replace them with big 6100 wire. Hands down the best neck I’ve ever played now. Just fantastic. It just had its 20th birthday this year.

Post a pic of the back.  I'd like to check that out.

So I have a cheap but nicely-painted gloss partscaster body.  I want to mask off some of it and change the color.  What's the right way to do this -- do i need to go to an auto paint shop, or is it actually possible to get a good smooth gloss finish from a rattle can?  Or would some other kind of pro painter with a compressor be the right call?

Getting a good gloss finish is pretty tough to do for those who aren't really experienced at it. You can get a pretty good gloss with spray paint and clear on top, but there are so many things that can cause blemishes and flaws, drips, orange peel, dirt, combining the wrong kinds of paint, not sanding properly, etc...

The simplest is probably to spray a hard enamel coat and polish the heck out of it. But you don't want to mix enamel with acrylic, and that kind of thing. If you use a clear paint or other clear coat it has to be something compatible with the paint you're covering. Then you have to make sure it dries really hard before you touch it, which can be months.

It can be done pretty well with cans if you're good at using them. I'm not.

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You should go over to Guitar Reranch. Fella sells vintage finishes out of bottle cans. I have no idea how well they work but the website has a ton of info on getting good DIY finishes. Step by step.

Some binding pics:
45d4d10d5a85ef02e8e9a4b213e7a33c.jpg

e6dc05d590d078f91d44b0d29824823f.jpg

Think the blocks look right with the binding. Like the streak running the board.

Tbone, Love that chrome one black look.  Never seen that look before.  I  jave a friend who put Fralins in his 2003 Strat.  It has those early 2000s noiseless things in there.  They were horrible.  Really like what the Fralins did for that Strat.

Edited by hullabelew

On 9/17/2018 at 10:32 AM, DougO said:

2017 SG Faded Cherry $599 stupid deal today.

That's cheaper than they had it of last time. They must have finally blown out all the 2016 models.

Saw that yesterday too.

It's a fantastic deal but I don't like the faded cherry, or full pick guard.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm disappointed in you hula.

02ed554d4163e9edcbaec5f3d655de35.jpg

I haven't seen a Les Paul shaped like a Strat before, though. Strats and Lizzy seem kinda wrong together.

Except the one time I got to see them...sorta...

tliz3847.jpg

tliz3807.jpg

Especially with friggin' Lace Sensor pickups.

I haven't seen a Les Paul shaped like a Strat before, though. Strats and Lizzy seem kinda wrong together.

Except the one time I got to see them...sorta...

tliz3847.jpg

tliz3807.jpg

Especially with friggin' Lace Sensor pickups.

Au contraire. Thin Lizzy Mk I was a Stratocaster driven 3 piece with Eic Bell. Think "Whiskey in the Jar" and "The Rocker".

4cb627e655867538355a4f6a372eeeaf.jpg

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

My cousin just sent me a pic of his newest addition. 675ded57a6bbdd983986315088dd1872.jpg

Nice. I was plunking around on one of those at Guitar Center last week and it felt pretty good. That might be my entry into Gretch hollow-ish body when Adorama puts a Steamliner on sale again cheap.

Saw Ariel Posen tonight. Been following him since seeing him in the Guitar Paradiso episodes on Anderton's YouTube channel. Didn't know he could also sing until his single "Fade" dropped last week. Talented dude.

Played a Suhr strat through a Two Rock Classic. Sounded awesome. I ended up talking to him after the show and completely forgot to scope out his pedal board, and that is what I was more interested in!8c6aa62be7d77d9c8a4031d0db8a718f.jpg

• Like 1