The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

It's a great looking guitar. Really like the transparent satin finish. Neck is spectacular. 

It needed some tweeking to get it to where I like it. Regular stuff...moved up to 10's, filed the nut slots and adjusted the truss rod to accommodate that, adjusted the saddles to lower the string height as it was on the high side and felt stiff. I've got it really low now with zero fret buzz and it's really slinky now. Plays easy and sounds good unplugged. 

The pickups are fine, but I'd like something else, and I'm going to replace the pots as it goes from zero to loud in just a small turn of the knob. Needs a better taper. 

Otherwise, it's a really nice guitar for under 300 bucks. With upgrades I'm looking at a final cost of around $500. Still a good deal. 

• Like 1

I've spent my last four purchases learning how to set up and tweak them, finally. Bought the tools needed. Always worried I'd turn them into a mess. It takes me a few days of sitting down for periods and just listening and paying attention and not being in a rush while I make adjustments. I find having an edible before I sit down to it keeps me focused. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, that's gotta suck.  I bought some cheap brand -- Jasmine? -- to leave at my sister's house so I'd have something to play when I visited, and it was just an unbelievably bad guitar.

It could be decent for the money. I've seen some Rogue stuff that wasn't terrible. My niece has Rogue similar to that one and it sounded pretty decent when she was strumming chords on it.

The new Fender Vintera II line has leaked. Looks like they are ditching Pau Ferro and going back to Rosewood. I have been eyeing the JMJ Mustang bass for a while, but this may be the new leader in the clubhouse.

https://www.txirula.com

search vintera ii for the full guitar and bass line up. 

fender-vintera-ii-70s-mustang-bass-rw-cbrg.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man, that's gotta suck.  I bought some cheap brand -- Jasmine? -- to leave at my sister's house so I'd have something to play when I visited, and it was just an unbelievably bad guitar.

I think we’ve had this discussion before. I bought a Jasmine in about 2002 for $89. I still have it. It plays great. Every bit as good as a $500 Seagull I have.

I could definitely see wild inconsistencies in QC on that guitar though. Hell maybe mine was one that came out “wrong”.

I stumbled across an acoustic guitar with only the label S101 Standard on it at Big Lots once. They wanted 40 bucks for it. I picked it up as a beater acoustic to take out camping and shit. It's actually a decent sounding guitar after getting decent strings and new bridge pins. Go figure. 

5 hours ago, topochico said:

The new Fender Vintera II line has leaked. Looks like they are ditching Pau Ferro and going back to Rosewood. I have been eyeing the JMJ Mustang bass for a while, but this may be the new leader in the clubhouse.

https://www.txirula.com

search vintera ii for the full guitar and bass line up. 

fender-vintera-ii-70s-mustang-bass-rw-cbrg.jpeg

I see they have a Nocaster in the lineup. 

That guitar.... I want to say is a 2000, which would be about right because I played it at my very first non talent show gig which was when I was 15. And I think 2000 was the first year they reissued the 72 thinlines, or at least the first year of that version (Made in Mexico Fender). Now I'm curious and maybe will look it up.

I always liked that guitar, it has been half out of commission for a while and honestly I couldn't give you a good description of the tone. It was kinda rusty for a while and I cleaned it up, but it got dropped at some point while serving as a backup guitar and the jack has needed to be repaired for several years.

So, obviously not one of the guitars I go to all the time, but I think it's maybe bright in comparison to a Les Paul, and aggressive sounding in comparison to a more traditional Fender. These are "wide range humbuckers", which are a different design than PAFs. I recall enjoying how easy it was to get great musical feedback on a loud stage with this guitar. I know... Franz Ferdinand used either one of these or maybe the 72 special (strat headstock, solid body, belly cut, LP style control layout). My old band did a demo in 2005ish that was one of our more garage rock-ish sounding songs and we used that guitar and a 72 special that was at the studio we used because it fit that kind of sound well.

I have that guitar out because I've been meaning to take actual steps to bring it back to life. It is a cool guitar. Neck is thick af.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

That guitar.... I want to say is a 2000, which would be about right because I played it at my very first non talent show gig which was when I was 15. And I think 2000 was the first year they reissued the 72 thinlines, or at least the first year of that version (Made in Mexico Fender). Now I'm curious and maybe will look it up.

I always liked that guitar, it has been half out of commission for a while and honestly I couldn't give you a good description of the tone. It was kinda rusty for a while and I cleaned it up, but it got dropped at some point while serving as a backup guitar and the jack has needed to be repaired for several years.

So, obviously not one of the guitars I go to all the time, but I think it's maybe bright in comparison to a Les Paul, and aggressive sounding in comparison to a more traditional Fender. These are "wide range humbuckers", which are a different design than PAFs. I recall enjoying how easy it was to get great musical feedback on a loud stage with this guitar. I know... Franz Ferdinand used either one of these or maybe the 72 special (strat headstock, solid body, belly cut, LP style control layout). My old band did a demo in 2005ish that was one of our more garage rock-ish sounding songs and we used that guitar and a 72 special that was at the studio we used because it fit that kind of sound well.

I have that guitar out because I've been meaning to take actual steps to bring it back to life. It is a cool guitar. Neck is thick af.

It’s an early 2000s for sure, I worked at GC at that time and bought and returned one. TELE’s never been my thing 

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Thanks @Celery Man  .  I thought you had one.  The one I posted is a Squire but that gives me an idea.  I'm out in Texas again for an unknown stretch and only brought an acoustic.  I'm thinking about buying this to keep me company.   $500 is a small price for what seems like a decent guitar, and something different once I get back home.   Always loved the look, but outside of Rhett Miller's Deluxe, I've never really paid attention to the humbucker teles.  

Edited by hullabelew

lolol found that old recording, now i know why jim (our next producer) made us use a click

I wish I knew what was what on this but it was 20 years ago. But definitely a lot of the '72s as well as one of those early 2000s LP classics. My recollection is that my thinline and the black 72 special were a lot of the noise guitar tracks

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Thanks @Celery Man  .  I thought you had one.  The one I posted is a Squire but that gives me an idea.  I'm out in Texas again for an unknown stretch and only brought an acoustic.  I'm thinking about buying this to keep me company.   $500 is a small price for what seems like a decent guitar, and something different once I get back home.   Always loved the look, but outside of Rhett Miller's Deluxe, I've never really paid attention to the humbucker teles.  

A heads up...Squier says those are wide range humbuckers, but my understanding is that they really aren't like the real things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

A heads up...Squier says those are wide range humbuckers, but my understanding is that they really aren't like the real things. 

I think the real deal guys from the 70s were made out of some weird alloy and most of the reissues have been something more like your standard alnico. So, and I could be wrong here, it could be that the ones from the 70s have their own thing, but these Squier ones are comparable to any of the 70s reissue teles that they’ve been making for 20+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a Japanese 72 Tele Thinline reissue in the mid 90s.  It was okay, but it didn't feel like it did the tele or the 335 thing all that well.
I played a Squire P90 today and it was horrible. Played a Gretsch with P90 in neck and humbucker in bridge that was a LOT more fun and 5 times better quality for the same price. Staying away from my previous thought.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I need to go make string buy for my G&L Tele.  Probably 10-46.  What's your go-to brand and model these days?

I like pure nickel 9.5s, so I tend to buy these

curt-mangan-pure-nickel-set-0095-044-150

Here's a link to 10's equivalent

https://www.curtmangan.com/10-46-pure-nickel-guitar-string-set/

Can get 15% off your first order with DEAL15 if you want to stock up.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Never heard of 'em, thanks.  I've typically used D'Addario XL, but I'm considering Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys.  Anybody play those?

Yep. I've played Ernie Ball RPS for 25 years. I used to play XL's back in the 90s but found EB to have better tuning stability and ruggedness.

• Hook 'Em 2

It always makes me laugh a bit when you read posts on forums from guys who are such cork sniffers that everything on their guitars has to be period correct to get the right tone, then they mention they are using some coated D'addario's. 

• Haha 1

Yep. Those are the ones.

To be fair, I’m pretty string agnostic. I just like new ones. So I change them a lot, more on acoustic than electric. Been using those for a while. The price is good and the quality is more than adequate to my ears.

It always makes me laugh a bit when you read posts on forums from guys who are such cork sniffers that everything on their guitars has to be period correct to get the right tone, then they mention they are using some coated D'addario's. 

Is it the daddarios or the coating that is offensive?

I use cheap ass daddarios on acoustic. They sound great new but only last about a week or two, 2-3 gigs at most. 2 is better than 3. I run through a lot of these at $50/10 pack from Amazon. Tried others but nothing else really stayed “alive” long enough to justify the extra cost to my ears.

I'm saying they didn't have nano-coated strings in the 50's for those cork sniffers who think guitars have to be built exactly like they were then to get those tones.  
(In my opinion, coated strings do suck, though) 

Ah got it. Another good reason to revile most cork sniffers.

Agree on coating. Yuk.
  • Hook 'Em 1