The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

19 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I can’t prove you wrong that he’s one of your top ten favorite guitarists of all time. I can prove to you that he’s not one of mine. Art is subjective. 

16 minutes ago, DougO said:

Lindsey is a badass guitar player. I admire his skills and musical contributions a lot, one of the larger figures in the golden age of rock music. 

I personally probably wouldn't put him in my top 10, but it doesn't sound completely absurd.

Look, you guys know he plays without a pick, right? Right??? 

He's pretty amazing, and "Never Going Back Again" alone should slot him into the top ten. 

I'm going to give NoRagrets a neg and DougO a pos....and we are going to call it even, and we all will live to see another day 

44 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Look, you guys know he plays without a pick, right? Right??? 

He's pretty amazing, and "Never Going Back Again" alone should slot him into the top ten. 

I'm going to give NoRagrets a neg and DougO a pos....and we are going to call it even, and we all will live to see another day 

And it just so happens I'm listening to this Rick Beato interview with Sting's guitar player, and guess who comes up...

--If it doesn't start at the time I selected it's just after the 45:20 mark.--

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure this has been argued before, but Lindsey Buckingham is a top ten guitarist of all time.....prove me wrong 

I'd take the guy who replaced him when he got kicked out if his band, but thats me. He's a great player for sure, but I could name 99 guys who I think are better just like Rolling Stone did the last time they made a list.

But as has been said, it's subjective.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DougO said:

And it just so happens I'm listening to this Rick Beato interview with Sting's guitar player, and guess who comes up...

--If it doesn't start at the time I selected it's just after the 45:20 mark.--

My Buenos Aires flatmate’s uncle. 

I used to help Dominic’s sister (who he referenced) with her anxiety of her son’s (my buddy’s) life choices. (Particularly the Colombian girlfriend who would eventually secretly stop taking birth control and “accidentally get pregnant”.)

Still haven’t met uncle Dominic yet, but probably will in the future. 

I paused watching this interview to look up the Ronan Keating song that he referenced and then popped by here to see this link.

FYI- Dominic’s son, Rufus, also plays in Sting’s band now. Rufus also creates some music with his sister (can’t remember her name). It’s a musical family.

Dominic and his big sister recorded an album (I believe) in the ‘70s and then my flatmate’s two younger brothers had a band that toured Britain and occasionally bounced over to Europe in the mid 2010s. Music everywhere.

I dont know where else to put this...

AC/DC finally resurfaces after 7 years for Power Trip and Angus still wearing the school boy outfit with the snow white hair and looking like Gollum!

I sure hope there are some sort of tour and this wasn't a swan song. I didn't expect them to announce anything leading up to Power Trip, but I thought they would have by nowFB_IMG_1696901224467.jpgFB_IMG_1696893178224.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Couldn't say who's best but I know who's among my favorites....

Audley FREED | Les paul, Guitar hero, Famous guitars

Damn straight. I often say, if I were given the ability to download any guitar player's playing skill into my own brain, for how I would really love to play, Audley would be right up there near the top. 

Richie Blackmore was probably my original guitar hero, as I binged on my big brother's Deep Purple records back in the day. He really opened my ears to what guitar greatness was all about. I listened to the solo for Lazy over and over before I ever even thought about playing guitar. All the stuff on Machine Head and Burn were the foundation for my eventual love of electric guitars.

These answers are kinda begging two questions though. Is it about being a singular guitar great - like SRV, Page, Hendrix, Eddie, even Leo Kottke or Gibbons? Or being a great part of a band - like Mike Campbell, Joe Walsh, the Cars guy…. or even, like, Matthew Sweet.

Of course, I’d like to have been born as Stevie. But there was and will only ever be one of him and it ain’t me. Whereas I feel like I could aspire to play and contribute like a Mike Campbell.

Disclaimer: I’d kill to play more than just cowboy chords, so this is all very hypothetical in my world.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Walsh is unique in that you can tell it's Joe Walsh playing in just a few licks.

This is pretty much what all the greats have going for them.  From Robert Johnson, Hubert Sumlin, Django Reinhardt, Willie, on through to all the guitar heroes named above.  They play about four notes and you're like, "Oh, that's xx.  I'm listening to the rest of this because its gonna kick ass."

• Like 1

You're not wrong.  Of the mega-talents, the chameleons end up being session guys.  The iconoclasts end up being guitar heroes.  I've never really thought about it, but it's true -- Page, Beck, Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler, Eric Johnson, EVH, Grissom, Walsh, even guys like The Edge and Jack White and Gibbons, immediately recognizable.  Clapton is probably closer to being not as identifiable. 

Fascinating.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1