Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Wow.  That's fun.  Hadn't really focused on those rankings at the very top.  Some topics to chew on:

What're the chances we end up with one of those top 10 players?

What about two of the Top 10?

What about three of the Top 10?

If you were Vegas, where would you put the over/under on Texas's five star signees at the end of the 2020 class?

I think Broughton ends up a 5*, and we have a good shot with him 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Broughton ends up a 5*, and we have a good shot with him 

Guys who I'm fairly sure will end up 5*s, who we're arguably in on

Evans, McClellan, Milton- good shot we land one of these, and the most likely one is Evans

Flowe

Ringo

Broughton

Demas- odds are low, and I should probably shut the door on this one, but I'll leave it cracked in my mind 

Guys who could end up being 5*s, but it's difficult to predict how the services will rank them

Mookie

Lindberg

Jackson

Collins

Smalls

Wilson

Omeire

Maybe it's possible one of the four safeties we're in on (Thompson, Washington, Ransom, Alford) or one of the in-state corners like Eaton blows up in the rankings, but that doesn't seem likely to me

If you feel good about landing one of the RBs and Broughton, feel ok about Ringo and Flowe, and think one of the guys in the "maybe a 5" group goes to Texas and gets the bump, I think 2.5 is a fair guess

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I realize that but there seemed to be a couple dudes watching Broughton. Wasn’t sure if he was part of that group. And in general, dudes like Lyles cal themselves trainers or something of the sort, even though they’re not.

i don’t want to go full Katfid here but Lyles could definitely be one of the two guy standing behind Broughton in the video.

DwHCncFU0AAP4au?format=jpg&name=large

He's in the weight room, gym, on the field...wherever his guys are as he's connected to the handler/trainer world. That world runs deep in 7v7, shoe companies and AA games. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

More useless drivel I refuse to read. You don't have to vomit your entire thoughts onto a post. Just an FYI 

It’s a free world and you are obviously free to choose to do what you want but it seems like you should embrace the “less is more” philosophy when deciding what thought that enters your head needs to be posted on this site. 

• Like 3

Just now, Newy25 said:

It’s a free world and you are obviously free to choose to do what you want but it seems like you should embrace the “less is more” philosophy when deciding what thought that enters your head needs to be posted on this site. 

Dude, let it go. Sydney and I have let it go. It's message board banter, nothing more. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Dude, let it go. Sydney and I have let it go. It's message board banter, nothing more. 

A lot of us do not read the thread real time while you are deciding to diarrhea all over the site so when we catch up it’s really annoying to catch up through your crap sometimes. 

• Like 9

Just now, Newy25 said:

A lot of us do not read the thread real time while you are deciding to diarrhea all over the site so when we catch up it’s really annoying to catch up through your crap sometimes. 

An easy way to wade through my "diarrhea" is to put me on ignore. That way you can read through the thread all you want without having someone make you read what I posted instead of you just passing through. 

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Doesn't he have handlers?

He needs handlers to tell him to STFU...

An early 2020 class five-star, he’d already been verbally extended by a who’s who of the nation’s top programs. But when McGlothern saw Ohio State defensive coordinator Alex Grinch depart for Oklahoma, he popped off on Twitter with what he deemed a realization.

Later that day Ohio State wide receivers coach Brian Hartline called with a message: “I’m sorry about the old coaches not getting on you. We’re going to try and change that. Let’s try and get this thing rolling.” An offer in hand at that point, McGlothern later in the day heard from Buckeyes head coach Ohio State Ryan Day.

“They needed to get on me,” McGlothern told 247Sports. They didn’t recruit any (corners) in the 2019 class, and I’m open. I’ll go out of state, I’m not scared.

"I’ve never had to ask before, but I really wanted Ohio State.”

This is not to say McGlothern will end up in Columbus. In regard to a potential landing spot he called himself completely “open.”

McGothern’s story is notable because of why he asked Ohio State to offer. In an era where blue-chip recruits are bombarded with requests from coaches and media alike, McGlothern wants coaches to recruit him hard. You might assume programs already are because McGlothern estimates he spends three hours a day on recruiting, be it through texts, Twitter direct messages or phone calls.

But McGlothern wants to be convinced coaches care. That means contact early and often.

“Keep in touch, you know?” McGlothern said. “Call me sometimes, actually have a conversation. Reach out to me about everything. Start connections.”

McGlothern says this at his Fast Houston 7on7's Media Day. A long-armed 6-foot-2, 180-pound corner from Cedar Hill, Texas, McGlothern sports a suit jacket over his dress pants, one of the showcase players during a black-tie event. This is a player, ranked No. 32 overall in the country in the Top247, who soaks up the spotlight with an eagerness and ease. He takes pictures with all who ask, gives a featured speech to his younger teammates about patience with the recruiting process and makes bold declarations.

“I’m the top DB in the nation, not many people are five-stars,” McGlothern said. “To build up your team and recruiting you’re going to have to have a big person in the program to start something or keep it going. Rankings don’t really matter, but at the same time they do. If you’re a real baller, they know you’re a real baller. I just really feel like they should recruit me harder, because I feel like I can help any team in the nation.”

What does it take to win someone like McGlothern over?

There are a few things he needs to know: 1. The depth chart. He wants to play right away. 2. Honesty. McGlothern does his research, he knows if a coach misleads him about playing time or their recruiting board. 3. Make him feel wanted. Above all, McGlothern needs to feel like he’s a must-have piece of the puzzle.

“I’m a very vocal person,” McGlothern said. “I want everyone on board with me. I want to lead. If I go somewhere, I can really help. When they see that they have to come after me.”

9COMMENTS

Ask McGlothern if he’ll request another offer down the line, and he can only smile a little. This elite recruit said he’s finished with that. “I’ve got pretty much all the offers I need. I’ve got Bama, I’ve got LSU. I’ve got the top dogs in the nation. They’re all hitting me up.”

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh shit, this is the kid that was whining about programs not recruiting him hard enough. And I agree with you about telling him to STFU. What a whiny bitch. 

If he were a very attractive female, I would pity the guy who wanted to date that person. 

Edited by Napoleon

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I love her. I know I am in the minority but the things I would do to her.......

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Pre-cocaine addiction version:  Hell yes.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I mean, back when Mean Girls came out, who wouldn't have wanted that?

There’s a strong possibility that she peaked before she was legal in the state of California. 

@closetojumping you need to tell the guys at tfb they’re wrong about Jason Harris

Right now Texas is recruiting him as a defensive end. However, Harris is also a highly recruited basketball player getting interest from Arizona, Texas Tech, and a few others.

While the concept of playing two sports at Texas did come up, it didn’t seem like it was strongly emphasized, and it seems that the father will likely push him towards football.

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ringo is clearly #1 at Corner, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out after that with Eaton, Watts, Crawford, Rogers??  

This isn't even counting if Clark Phillips visits.

Safety is going to be a similar deal between Washington, Thompson, Alford, Ransom etc. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're paid to do the amazing work that the $9.95ers always do. I'm just a simple Surly poster, positing naively. I'm sure his recruitment over the next year will prove me wrong. 

Humility really doesn't fit you well. 

• Haha 1

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Texas made a splash this week as it landed a pair of four-star recruits in Mookie Cooper and Jaylen Garth. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the future.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek

Look, Lindberg doesn't want to make an early decision, but it's clear the Longhorns are making a huge impression on him and his family, especially after his most recent visit. Lindberg has developed a strong relationship with the Texas coaching staff as well as the commits in the 2020 class. Stanford will host him for a visit next month and is the biggest threat. Schools like Georgia and LSU are also in play. Texas may try to push Lindberg to commit early as he has a chance to be the ringleader for this class.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

A four-star prospect, Collins has been to Texas on several occasions and is a legacy — his mother played basketball on the Forty Acres. Collins has stated that he might pull the trigger soon. Right now, the Longhorns have the inside track in this recruitment thanks to his ties to the program. Though, he is also strongly considering Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

CB Joshua Eaton, Houston MacArthur

Eaton picked up an offer from the Longhorns on his junior day visit over the weekend and raved about his time on campus. Texas made such a huge impression that Eaton plans to be back on campus over the next two weeks. LSU just offered, which could make things interesting, but as of right now, Texas has established itself as the team to beat in this recruitment.

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm

Like Eaton, Watts was blown away on his junior day visit over the weekend. He has developed a strong relationship with cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and loves the idea of staying closer to home. Texas loves long, rangy corners with upside, and Watts certainly fits the bill. Watts is planning to make a decision before the end of spring. He is also looking hard at Arkansas, Oklahoma and a few others.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage

This recruitment seems like an easy one for Texas to win if it pushes hard. Dixon attended every Texas home game this past season and is the younger brother of freshman running back Keaontay Ingram. It would be very surprising if Dixon didn't join his brother in Austin. This one is looking like more of a when rather than an if as long as the Longhorns take him. The three-star prospect has the potential to play wide receiver or defensive back at the next level.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yes, 16 year old redhead lohan was a good little girl i'm sure.

It's funny, because you know.

Everyone else on the board is speculating, but you probably first met her around 16/17, so...

But when in doubt about a 16/17 year-old Hollywood starlet from the aughts, ask Wilmer Valderrama. (Actually, he knows, but he probably won't say... especially not these days.)

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not touching this one until closetojumping weighs in. 

Drayton is a NFL coach who is coaching college ball for reasons unbeknownst to me. 

I can tell you why he left his job in Chicago. John Foxx. As far as why he hasn’t gone back? Best I can do is guess it’s because there are only 32 spots, and most are taken. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Should be noted Alec Bryant committing to LSU is who Umanmielen usually visited OU with and talked about maybe playing together.  

Bryant told OU247 that communication fell off once Grinch and company came on, looks like the Ohio State people were right about him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Bryant told OU247 that communication fell off once Grinch and company came on, looks like the Ohio State people were right about him. 

And OSU is really all we have to go on for Grinch's ability as a recruiter for big time football.  Recruiting to Pullman, WA is tough.  If you miss on your top 20 guys, you get the #55 class instead of #45.  If you miss on the next 20 you end up with a #70 class.  How does anyone not specifically focused on WSU determine the impact of one recruiter on that unless he truly stands out?  Miss out on your 1st and 2nd guys at tOSU or OU and everybody knows.

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Is this realistic:

QB-Card

RB-Evans, Jordan

OL-Majors, Parr, Garth, Lindberg, George

WR- Cooper, Johnston, Wilson/or Hester

TE?

DL-Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, Umanmielen

LB-Flowe, Scott

CB-Ringo, Watts, Eaton

S-Alford, Thompson, Washington

Ath-  Rogers, Jackson,  Dixon