Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Chris Simms in HS (1998): USA Today National Offensive Player of the Year

Yeah, I know he was considered #1 in the country, which is why I added that caveat. Regardless, Ringo is a freak and would be an absolutely huge get.  With him and McCoy, we haven’t signed that kind of elite OOS talent in a long, long time.

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Knowing nothing about the 20 class yet, I've got to assume we're all over Brockemeyer and will not let him get to the land thieves?  Or is this their revenge for Thompson?

statement is self-evident, imo. Brock Bros are 21's. There's much discussion/hand-wringing to be read about them in the 21 thread. 

E.J. Holland: Four-star RB Sam Adams II sets visit to Texas

Sam Adams II is gearing up to make a long trip down south. The four-star running back out of Eastside Catholic (WA) informed Horns247 that he would be making unofficial visits to Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M beginning on April 19. Adams picked up an offer from the Longhorns back in October of last year and has always been intrigued by idea of playing his college ball in the Lone Star State. Adams is the son of former Texas A&M and NFL defensive lineman Sam Adams. At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Adams is ranked as the No. 13 running back and No. 149 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star RB Sam Adams II sets visit to Texas

Hide contents

Sam Adams II is gearing up to make a long trip down south. The four-star running back out of Eastside Catholic (WA) informed Horns247 that he would be making unofficial visits to Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M beginning on April 19. Adams picked up an offer from the Longhorns back in October of last year and has always been intrigued by idea of playing his college ball in the Lone Star State. Adams is the son of former Texas A&M and NFL defensive lineman Sam Adams. At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Adams is ranked as the No. 13 running back and No. 149 overall prospect in the nation, per 247Sports Composite.

Went to HS with Sam. CSB. 

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

I thought the shushing was a BC thing.  did he not come up with it?  is it some part of hip hop culture I’m not up to date on?

As far as I know, it's just a BC thing. He made it cool, so maybe now it's becoming more a ubiquitous thing in recruiting, especially with kids from Texas?

EJ on Broughton this morning

One of the more interesting things I heard during my time in New Orleans actually had nothing to do with a recruit at the actual tournament.

Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton has been considered a Texas lean for some. But the dynamics of his recruitment have drastically changed in terms of the people involved over the last couple of weeks.

Obviously, I can’t go into too much detail, but this recruitment isn’t exactly a slam-dunk for Texas anymore. The Longhorns are getting him on campus in May and really need to wow him and his mother.

I’m told that Texas A&M is surging in this one, and it wouldn’t be surprising if the Aggies really close the gap the rest of spring. Arkansas is also one to watch as the Razorbacks pulled out all the stops during his recent visit — Chad Morris and company offered his brothers ridiculously early.

Broughton is looking to make a decision at the end of summer. What seemed like a straightforward recruitment could get pretty interesting.

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton has been considered a Texas lean for some. But the dynamics of his recruitment have drastically changed in terms of the people involved over the last couple of weeks.
What seemed like a straightforward recruitment could get pretty interesting.

Did EJ just now figure out VB was a “new hire” by FWK?

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Sadly Herman will never fire Giles - they were buddies from their Grad Assistant days at Texas back in 98-99.

Feels like Giles is Herman's Greg Davis.

Giles is only good at coaching football players, what does that have to do with being a college football coach?

Anyway I don't think you can really compare a position coach with the #2 guy on a coaching staff.

IT

JALEN KIMBER - 2020 CB

On Sunday, the Mansfield Timberview cornerback punched his ticket to the Rivals 5-star Challenge later this summer. That recognition is indicative of his rise up the charts this spring.

While all the excitement for recruiting the position centers around Kelee Ringo, Texas is quietly putting itself in direct contention for the ultra-athletic and technical Kimber. But, before Kimber announces his intentions ahead of his senior season, he's going to make numerous visits.

Per his father, Art, this is their upcoming visit schedule:

"Thursday - Georgia Tech and Georgia. Friday - Clemson and South Carolina. Saturday - Alabama and Auburn. April 5th - Notre Dame. April 6th - Ohio State (tentative). April 13th - Florida spring game."

That's quite the slate and it's all part of the master plan. Art continued, "His focus is getting all his unofficial visits so he can schedule OV's. From there he's figuring his timeline to close it all out."

With UT in pursuit of a handful of other corners it's important to gauge the level of dialogue players are having with the school. "Just spoke to (coach) Washington yesterday and today. We talk to him consistently."

Aside Ringo, we feel Kimber is at the top of the big board at corner.

XAVION ALFORD - 2020 DB

The versatile safety from Shadow Creek (Pearland) put up good numbers at the recent Houston Opening. He arrived at 6-foot, 182 pounds and ran a 4.55 40 with a 36" vertical jump. Those are good explosive numbers for an instinctive prospect who plays faster than he tests.

He's been making the rounds recently, including Alabama this past weekend (interview was conducted before that trip).

On recent Oregon visit:
"Everything was good. I liked it and everything. Of course their facilities, they're top of the line. It was just good getting to know the staff. Going somewhere outside my environment was good."

On attending any spring games:
"I'm going to just have to see. There are so many spring games so I don't know."

On Texas:
"Texas stands good. Me and Coach Naivar talk every day. I should be up there again sometime soon. As of now I don't really know when I'm going up there."

On Naivar:
"He's just a real, honest coach. He's just a fun dude to be around and he knows his stuff."

On potentially playing with 7 on 7 teammate Joshua Eaton (cornerback Aldine MacArthur):
"If it's the best situation for the both of us but not really planning on going somewhere together. My situation and his situation could be different, so... You never know, really."

Timeline:
"Either early signing day or late signing day. It could be a little before early signing day, but as of now I don't know."

Official visits:
"Probably the fall, yeah the fall."

Key factors in his decision:
"Wherever I feel at home. The honesty with the coaches, the loyalty and everything. What they do during the season. Just where I can be comfortable and go and play."

The later timeline is good for all parties as UT is still figuring out its ideal position grouping. That said, I wouldn't entirely rule out a surprise commitment in the coming months.

Texas is in a very good spot with both Alford and his mother.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sadly Herman will never fire Giles - they were buddies from their Grad Assistant days at Texas back in 98-99.

Feels like Giles is Herman's Greg Davis.

No one wants him to fire Giles.  Just get rid of one of the coaches on offense and bring in another DL coach to help him recruit.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Obviously, I can’t go into too much detail, but this recruitment isn’t exactly a slam-dunk for Texas anymore. The Longhorns are getting him on campus in May and really need to wow him and his mother.

Was he committed? No? Then he was never a slam dunk.

And I guess this is different from all those other visits to our campus where we can not try to impress the recruit and his parents. Great reporting, thanks!

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

EJ on Broughton this morning

One of the more interesting things I heard during my time in New Orleans actually had nothing to do with a recruit at the actual tournament.

I’m told that Texas A&M is surging in this one, and it wouldn’t be surprising if the Aggies really close the gap the rest of spring. Arkansas is also one to watch as the Razorbacks pulled out all the stops during his recent visit — Chad Morris and company offered his brothers ridiculously early.

Broughton is looking to make a decision at the end of summer. What seemed like a straightforward recruitment could get pretty interesting.

Mystery family member parachuting in out of nowhere and pushing aggy hard? That's the Demani Special right there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Better than a "get blown out by 40 by OU every couple years" liability like Greg Davis.

Look, neither Giles' recruiting ability nor Greg Davis' offensive coordination are our standard. Can we agree on that and move on from this subject?

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Look, neither Giles' recruiting ability or Greg Davis' offensive coordination are our standard. Can we agree on that and move on from this subject?

Careful there, buddy. All this non recruiting based talk of coaches and I might have to tag Blacklab and point out that you're off topic. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

@closetojumping called this a month or two ago.

They better land Collins.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:56 AM, closetojumping said:

Broughton is a Slick Willie Lyles special. The $9.95ers should ask around and confirm, but I'm pretty certain at this point. Does that mean Texas won't get him? No. Does that mean this won't be a straightforward recruitment? Yes. While he may stay in the vicinity of home, do not count out vists to SEC shitholes, Oregon, Illinois and Ohio State. Magically Baylor could get an unofficial. I'm not pessimistic here, but for those who haven't been around as long as a lot of us, just dropping in some expectation setting.

Found it. Looks like it's not his highness (FWK), but a step-up (or down, depending on your perspective). 

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 4