Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Darwin played a role here, my prior post wouldn't have been formed.

Classic mistake. "Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean survival of the best or strongest. It means survival of those most in cohesion with their particular environmental niche.

To be blunt, SWC didn't learn how to be the proper kind of asshole fast enough. A surly asshole is evolved for a particular niche.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Classic mistake. "Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean survival of the best or strongest. It means survival of those most in cohesion with their particular environmental niche.

To be blunt, SWC didn't learn how to be the proper kind of asshole fast enough. A surly asshole is evolved for a particular niche.

Not aligned.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Surly is Sicilian. He didnā€™t abide that rule.Ā 

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If you're so thin-skinned that you go full retard after a few people criticize your posts, you're not going to survive on this website.

True. When fellow Longhorns ask me for a good source to keep up with Texas sports, I ask them if they like Lord of the Flies. If they say yes, I tell them about Surly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So let me get this straight, you guys just got a dude banned who was cutting his teeth learning how to post and actively engaged in the conversation? And then the S2YB rube shows up around the same time to remind us that word soup is a thing and you guys start actively engaging him in conversation to remind those of us who have put him on ignore that he exists? YetĀ you haven't actually done a fucking thing about remedying the site of his insipid shit when that would legitimately be a productive crowdsourcing? And then, AND THEN, you go all fucking elitist on the football board in the middle of that?Ā 

Fucking solid work. I'm all for clubbing baby seals, but it would be more impressive to take down the manatee with 360 rep points that floats by this board to slow fart, groan, and generally get in the way.

Learning how to post? Fucking lol. Learning would be not knowing the inside jokes and asking what CB meant.Ā Thatā€™s not what SWC was doing. He was shitposting/trolling and his ban was well deserved. But you only mentioned him as an excuse to bash Spider2. Yawn.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

To be blunt, SWC didn't learn how to be the proper kind of asshole fast enough. A sļ»æurly asshole isļ»æ evolvļ»æed for a particular niche.ļ»æ

I never referenced survival of the fittest. If guys like S2YB survive and thrive here, it's an indictment of the board's self-anointed and allegedĀ ruthlessness in and of itself. This board is pretty soft, honestly. It saw a target of opportunity and took its shot. Fine by me, but it would actually be impressive to witness a crowdsourcing that took effort. It's never happened. No poster with more than 100 +rep points has ever been crowdsourced. Much of the bravado on this site facilitates a Magic Shell version of a fortress of savages. Tough, crunchy exterior that is easily cracked through into its hollow insides.Ā 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I never referenced survival of the fittest. If guys like S2YB survive and thrive here, it's an indictment of the board's self-anointed and allegedĀ ruthlessness in and of itself. This board is pretty soft, honestly. It saw a target of opportunity and took its shot. Fine by me, but it would actually be impressive to witness a crowdsourcing that took effort. It's never happened. No poster with more than 100 +rep points has ever been crowdsourced. Much of the bravado on this site facilitates a Magic Shell version of a fortress of savages. Tough, crunchy exterior that is easily cracked through into its hollow insides.Ā 

You put way too much thought in to this. Yikes.Ā 

13 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think he's a plus defensive line coach. Pretty much the only reason he's still on this staff.Ā 

Because a coach builds relationships and he obviously doesn't do thatĀ or he could recruit. All recruiting is based upon is relationships

7 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Because a coach builds relationships and he obviously doesn't do thatĀ or he could recruit. All recruiting is based upon is relationships

Bro, the original reply of mine you quoted had me saying he wasn't a good recruiter, not sure why you're still rambling about it.

Ā 

There's a difference between coaching and recruiting, and Giles is the epitome of it, IMO.Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

So Bill Belichick would naturally be a great recruiter? Heā€™s known for his great relationships and how those have translated into Super Bowl Titles.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

So Bill Belichick would naturally be a great recruiter? Heā€™s known for his great relationships and how those have translated into Super Bowl Titles.Ā 

Belichick would be an incredible recruiter. He would form relationships using his football knowledge andĀ love of the game. Most recruits and their high school coaches would be in awe. The less serious players maybe not. You donā€™t have to do sleepovers or be gregarious to build relationships.Ā 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Belichick's bona fides would do the recruiting for him. He would probably have the most efficient bagman network in the game.

His coaching methods and cultureĀ would probably lead to an above-average roster churn, though.

They'd rename the Transfer Portal the "Beli-Checkin' Out Train." It'd be insane.Ā  (EDITED to add, how lame "Beli-Checkin' Out Train" is, but eff it, it stands.)

Edited by UncleBuck

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Eh, bullshit. Well, if you're talking about me anyway. I said "I think he's a plus defensive line coach", and that's my take. If you don't think so, cool, whatever.Ā 

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Bro, the original reply of mine you quoted had me saying he wasn't a good recruiter, not sure why you're still rambling about it.

Ā 

There's a difference between coaching and recruiting, and Giles is the epitome of it, IMO.Ā 

I just dont buy this "Great Coach, Shitty Recruiter" notion without some kind of support.

I mean, if you're going to say his opinion is bullshit, at least offer up a specific metric as to why you think that, other than "Well that's my take." What has informed and has grounded your take? Is it back to back defensive Big 12 linemen of the year? Is it Poona Ford shining in the NFL? Well, ok I guess. I know it's not respect for him and his charges in the actual NFL draft by scouts. And I know it's not the development of Breckyn Hager. But at least that's a debate. What is NOT a debate is that Giles stopped putting talent in the high rounds of the NFL draft when he stopped being on a staff with Mack Brown, and he didn't have additional DLine help. I also know that Oscar Giles hasn't recruited high blue chip players since he came back to the Texas staff, and the players he has gotten were the result of Meekins/Carrington/Washington stepping into recruitments to win Ossai, Coburn, and Ojomo.

So he hasn't recruited well since he got fired here with Brown last time, and he hasn't developed high round draft picks. He's got a couple D Line of the year recently that were by all accounts extremely self-motivated workers with high motors. The most talented D Lineman in the Georgia game looked like, not very shockingly,Ā a True Freshman uber talented blue chip talent that he got gifted by Carrington and Kevin Sumlin. There's a pretty decent trend-line that can be drawn that, shockingly, when Oscar Giles gets really talented recruits, he gets pretty decent results.Ā 

But please, inform us why you think he's such a great coach. And not a mediocre or middling coach, but a GREAT coach?

Just now, Irieguy said:

Belichick would be an incredible recruiter. He would form relationships using his football knowledge andĀ love of the game. Most recruits and their high school coaches would be in awe. The less serious players maybe not. You donā€™t have to do sleepovers or be gregarious to build relationships.Ā 

He would fucking hate it. If he were into recruiting, heā€™d load up with all-star free agents. He wins with less because he gives two shits about star talent. He wins with preparation and coaching. He cares nothing about relationships. Heā€™s tried to make moves for Bradyā€™s replacement. Heā€™s the anti-relationship coach.

Giles has skins on the wall by putting lower level recruits into the league and helping them winĀ awards. He does more with less because his recruiting defects force him to do so. Iā€™m afraid Giles just doesnā€™t give enough of a shit, but heā€™s an above average coach.Ā 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's going to be interesting to see whether or not Roach regrets that CB. Things change. Maybe Texas waited too long. We're going to find out, though.

Wells made a cryptic (not really) post about Dixon's destination being Arkansas. I get the feeling that he's on the verge of announcing. Hopefully he's flippable and the staff hasn't ticked him off too much by slow-playing him.

The other item of note is that Arkansas is recruiting him at RB.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I just dont buy this "Great Coach, Shitty Recruiter" notion without some kind of support.

I mean, if you're going to say his opinion is bullshit, at least offer up a specific metric as to why you think that, other than "Well that's my take." What has informed and has grounded your take? Is it back to back defensive Big 12 linemen of the year? Is it Poona Ford shining in the NFL? Well, ok I guess. I know it's not respect for him and his charges in the actual NFL draft by scouts. And I know it's not the development of Breckyn Hager. But at least that's a debate. What is NOT a debate is that Giles stopped putting talent in the high rounds of the NFL draft when he stopped being on a staff with Mack Brown, and he didn't have additional DLine help. I also know that Oscar Giles hasn't recruited high blue chip players since he came back to the Texas staff, and the players he has gotten were the result of Meekins/Carrington/Washington stepping into recruitments to win Ossai, Coburn, and Ojomo.

So he hasn't recruited well since he got fired here with Brown last time, and he hasn't developed high round draft picks. He's got a couple D Line of the year recently that were by all accounts extremely self-motivated workers with high motors. The most talented D Lineman in the Georgia game looked like, not very shockingly,Ā a True Freshman uber talented blue chip talent that he got gifted by Carrington and Kevin Sumlin. There's a pretty decent trend-line that can be drawn that, shockingly, when Oscar Giles gets really talented recruits, he gets pretty decent results.Ā 

But please, inform us why you think he's such a great coach. And not a mediocre or middling coach, but a GREAT coach?

I think he also did a good job at UH, aĀ year with and a year without Oliver. Never said he was the greatest DL coach in the fucking land.Ā 

Ā 

I'm also confused as to why I needed to go into extreme detail as toĀ why I "think" Oscar Giles is a plus coach on the field when I wasn't gifted the same.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dixon can play inside WR, outside WR, or running back. Or probably even safety. We'll also probably see a jump in his athleticism two years removed form a major leg injury, and it's not like he wasn't already very athletic.Ā 

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think he also did a good job at UH, aĀ year with and a year without Oliver. Never said he was the greatest DL coach in the fucking land.Ā 

Ā 

I'm also confused as to why I needed to go into extreme detail as toĀ why I "think" Oscar Giles is a plus coach on the field when I wasn't gifted the same.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

He may have not gifted you the same, but I laid out my thoughts fairly clearly. Don't view it as an obligation, view it as my trying to ask why you think that way, nothing more, sir. I obviously have my own strong opinions on Giles, and l laid out some of them there. I'm just asking what data points have persuaded you to think what you do. It's a conversation on a message board.

Scanning UH in 2015, I didn't recognize a single name on the D Line roster. Jerard Carter sounds familiar. Didn't Herman inherit a fairly veteran team that won 8 games before? I dont see any UH alum on the D-Line being drafted from 2015, or 2016 or 2017 but someone else can correct me, drafted players isn't my strength.Ā Including the year with Ed Oliver sort of supports my point that Giles does great when he has great talent, however, and he got drafted this past year.Ā Ā 

Ā 

EDIT: I was looking at their draft list. Looks like UH got Cameron Malveax in as an undrafted free agent in 2017, and Nick Thurman in 2018.Ā 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Ā 

Honest question, do you think that is relevant vs comparing coaching staffs?

How many 1k rushers has herman (or RB coach) had in the last 10 years vs OSU staff?

I can tell you for a fact that Herman was an OC for some of those 1k rushers and RB drafted at Ohio State - so this guy must have fucking forgot that the coach partially responsible was part of the development staff of that "impressive" stat. Guess who the OC was for Ezekiel Elliot? what an idiot.

• Like 4

Just now, immamac said:

Honest question, do you think that is relevant vs comparing coaching staffs?

How many 1k rushers has herman (or RB coach) had in the last 10 years vs OSU staff?

I can tell you for a fact that Herman was an OC for some of those 1k rushers and RB drafted at Ohio State - so this guy must have fucking forgot that the coach partially responsible was part of the development staff of that "impressive" stat. Guess who the OC was for Ezekiel Elliot? what an idiot.

This is the type of stuff that's being fed to recruits. We have to counter it, and our "salesmen" aren't doing a great job.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is the type of stuff that's being fed to recruits. We have to counter it, and our "salesmen" aren't doing a great job.

also, you know, start to consistently and effectively run the football with running backs.

Edited by irishtexan

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dixon can play inside WR, outside WR, or running back. Or probably even safety. We'll also probably see a jump in his athleticism two years removed form a major leg injury, and it's not like he wasn't already very athletic.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dixon can play inside WR, outside WR, or running back. Or probably even safety. We'll also probably see a jump in his athleticism two years removed form a major leg injury, and it's not like he wasn't already very athletic.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Alabama top 3 rushers in 2018: Ā 876, 783, 640

texas top 3 rushers in 2018: Ā 786, 708, 482

pretty close considering Alabama played one more game than Texas.Ā 

So take that, osu stat cherrypicker.Ā 

Oh that shitbag is a complete fucking mouth breather. Ā He conveniently forgets that Tom Herman is a part of that history. Ā All of this shit is dumb. Ā We put together another year like last year and we will start winning some of these battles. Ā It would be great for Herman to beat Sabanā€™s ass. Ā That would be delightful.

Edited by Fondren & Main

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's going to be interesting to see whether or not Roach regrets that CB. Things change. Maybe Texas waited too long. We're going to find out, though.

I wondered what you meant the other day when you said, "Bloodlines matter again" and specifically thought you might have been talking about Kelvontay.Ā  I'm assuming now that the intention.

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

So I am beginning to think this is a self scouting issue like all other issues with Herman. ā€œI really like Oscar Giles he is an amazing coach, and I canā€™t imagine the recruits feel differently.ā€

Heā€™s trying to project an air of beingĀ on the rise, coming off a sugar bowl win against Georgia, weā€™re primed and ready for a run etc. He thinks replacing a coach is not worth the price of dentingĀ that narrative, and that if we can break through this year the momentum of the program will bring recruitsĀ along in its wake. Ā  I mean heā€™s literally said when asked if there would be changes Why would I change anything. Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fine by me, but ļ»æit would actually be impressive to witness a crowdsourcing that took effort. It's never happenedļ»æ. No poster with more ļ»æthan 100 +rep points has ever been crowdsourcedļ»æļ»æ.

Guys, I'm starting to think CTJ wants to get negged into oblivion.

• Haha 1