Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

would we really take three corners AND three safeties? I thought the goal was 5 DBs for this class, including safety, nickel, and CTJ's box safety/hybrid LB.

It’s still early but 2021 is looking very thin at DB in Texas with us only having 1 real target each at S and CB currently. 

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

It’s still early but 2021 is looking very thin at DB in Texas with us only having 1 real target each at S and CB currently. 

Ibraheem and Coffey right?  Bowman is probably a DB for 2021.  But yes, as loaded as the 2021 class is, DB looks to be in the bottom half of depth/talent.

10 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ibraheem and Coffey right?  Bowman is probably a DB for 2021.  But yes, as loaded as the 2021 class is, DB looks to be in the bottom half of depth/talent.

There's Bowman, I'm sure they'll keep recruiting the corner committed to Bama, and there's the Katy corner

I don’t have anything to pass on regarding Umanlymannishman right now, but personally, I have a hard time seeing Texas pass on taking him. Maybe they do. Seems crazy if he wants to come. 

Oh I agree he's a take. I've always said that. I'm a big proponent of loading up on DL talent this year. I meant that I could still see Princely deciding to go elsewhere despite the recent report that Texas leads. He seems to be looking for a reason not to go to Texas. He'd play a lot earlier at OU too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's Bowman, I'm sure they'll keep recruiting the corner committed to Bama, and there's the Katy corner

Latrell McCutchin? That'd be a waste of time. He's fully brainwashed anti Texas and pro SEC. 

For some reason he thinks Texas offering him as a fucking sophomore as "late" and not showing him enough love. FOH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Latrell McCutchin? That'd be a waste of time. He's fully brainwashed anti Texas and pro SEC. 

For some reason he thinks Texas offering him as a fucking sophomore as "late" and not showing him enough love. FOH

Its bullshit, that’s why. He can’t think that we offered him days after bama. Unless he thinks he’s in our backyard and we should have known and offered him as Freshman. Or he’s full of shit and looking for excuses. 

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Oh I agree he's a take. I've always said that. I'm a big proponent of loading up on DL talent this year. I meant that I could still see Princely deciding to go elsewhere despite the recent report that Texas leads. He seems to be looking for a reason not to go to Texas. He'd play a lot earlier at OU too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eh, I think he just wants to go where all the cool kids are going. Less anti-Texas and more easily led.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Considering they've already announced that there will be new 5*s, they must be taking this on chronologically. That would make today the day where they try to make sense of lots of incomplete evals for kids that didn't camp with them. Most spoken words today, "where does 247 have him?"

• Like 1

Just took a look at BON, and oh man this Brennan Scott article is peak Wescott (even if Cody Daniel actually wrote it): https://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2019/8/6/20757552/target-brennon-scott-commits-kansas-jayhawks-texas-longhorns-target-2020-recruiting

And the upshot when everything is pitched like this is that the whole comment section is melting down over a recruit picking Kansas instead of UT. I guess that drives clicks?

1 minute ago, Richter said:

I was walking very close to Brennan Scott and his family after the spring game.  It could have been someone else, but I was worried about a Holton Hill situation with him.

Did you slow your roll after you appraised the situation? Making contact and what not.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just took a look at BON, and oh man this Brennan Scott article is peak Wescott (even if Cody Daniel actually wrote it): https://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2019/8/6/20757552/target-brennon-scott-commits-kansas-jayhawks-texas-longhorns-target-2020-recruiting

And the upshot when everything is pitched like this is that the whole comment section is melting down over a recruit picking Kansas instead of UT. I guess that drives clicks?

He’s a fucking piece of shit. Period. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

the only thing i would say here is that it is solid TODAY. almost guaranteed that we see some guys go elsewhere after this season...

• Current SO: Eagles, Josh Moore, Jordan Pouncey (RS)
  • Current RS FR: Malcolm Epps, Al'Vonte Woodard 
  • Current True FR: Kennedy Lewis, Jake Smith, Marcus Washigton

when you consider the current Seniors (Johnson/Dev Duv/Burt) that isn't a ton of snaps to go around, especially if you see Eagles establish himself at the Z and Moore establish himself at H/slot (with Smith getting snaps there as well)

going to be interesting to see how things shake out for sure.

Guys can leave and our WR room will still be stacked. Guys Transferring out because of the talent of a position just helps separate the chaff so that we don’t get too bloated numbers-wise and we can keep taking high end talent every year.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Given the size of the class,  I really do not see how we can take 3 CB’s. It’s not a need and I would rather throw numbers at late rising linebackers. 

It’s going to be awesome watching Aggy claim a head to head recruiting victory with Eaton. 

If it’s the right CB, like Rogers or Ringo, we should and likely would absolutely take 3 CBs. Rogers is a really special talent. He looked unbelievably good at the Opening for a guy who doesn’t play CB right now. He was staying with some of the best receivers in the country purely by relying on naturals talent and athleticism. Once he trains at CB for a year and gets his technique down, he could be really special. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

would we really take three corners AND three safeties? I thought the goal was 5 DBs for this class, including safety, nickel, and CTJ's box safety/hybrid LB.

You worry too much about specific position fits. Players change, schemes change. We should take the 5 most talented DBs we can, and there’s likely to be a huge talent gap between someone like Rogers and whoever we could land as a third safety, barring clipping both CTJ and Washington.

We have 0 S commits. We’ll have one after this weekend with only Alford being a realistic S target that’s not committed elsewhere, and he doesn’t seem all that likely to end up at UT. Crawford also has a ton of potential at Nickel. 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its legitimately funny that Tunmise keeps calling Princely '4i' - though the fact he uses it as an insult doesn't bode well for our chances to land either.

They’re both guys who seem to want to go where their friends/other good players are going. If we keep up this level of recruiting, I expect they’ll both want in.

Mike at Night: The future of the offensive line

—I had the opportunity to see Texas commit Andrej Karic in a training session last week. Karic is working with former Texas offensive tackle Donald Hawkins, and the training session gave me an even greater appreciation for his skillset. Karic is the perfect type of project tackle that you take and add weight on while they retain their skillset and athleticism. Karic is looking much bigger than when I saw him last season, and he said he’s at around 270 right now. I was very impressed with his work ethic and engagement during the session, and he probably has the best technique and feet of any offensive lineman in the Texas class. Like Sam Cosmi, Karic has an extremely high ceiling for development.

—Seeing Donald Hawkins train was awesome. The former Texas offensive lineman employs some excellent technique and practical application to the field. Hawkins told me he’s still working on getting back to the NFL, but he loves training right now. He’s also working with prospects like Tommy and James Brockermeyer, so getting an endorsement from Blake Brockermeyer speaks highly of his skill.

—It seems that Texas is much more into growing offensive linemen in the 2020 class. They will have to do some body altering on a guy like Jake Majors, but he bulked up to play tackle at the high school level. Dropping some bad weight and adding some strength will be the priority there, but Majors still has plenty of room for growth and a great skillset to play along the interior. Parr, Garth, and Karic are all guys who just need to add strength at the next level to play, and all have the ceiling you look for to develop a group into a strong core.

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So, is this real life? A class of 20 that scores at 282.86 saving room for 1-2 late risers, hopefully lbs. I feel the worst about Alford and Princely - is anyone missing? 

spacer.png

That 282.86 score will go up.  Have to factor in the BOMC for when Fillinger and Karic become 4*'s.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. How is he getting paid to do this? 

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That 282.86 score will go up.  Have to factor in the BOMC for when Fillinger and Karic become 4*'s.

While the BOMC is well documented and an undeniable fact of recruiting rankings, some guys will slip a bit as well. Seems the interior OL haven't put their best foot forward at camps, so I suspect they'll drop. That said, in my mind, Bijan is the only guy on that list who Alfred Collins should be looking up at. I'll strenuously object if he isn't a top-50 guy in this class whether he ends up in burnt orange or not. Basically I'm saying the likeliest outcome is the ranking movements netting out at approx zero.

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Todd Orlando is from the Mike Zimmer school of roster management. You can never have too many good corners. For us, a corner that doesn't win the job is just a nickel that needs to put on weight

What you are saying may be true , but our Nickle the last two years was PJ Locke, our Nickle this year will be BJ Foster, and none of Cook, Green or Jamison have cross trained at Nickle (yet). Orlando seems like he’s of the “best 11 on the field” variety. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

As you mentioned, the worst part isn't Wescott himself, it's that these articles produce scores of satyanashes who come onto boards like this and bleed all over the place.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’re both guys who seem to want to go where their friends/other good players are going. If we keep up this level of recruiting, I expect they’ll both want in.

Tunmise said a while back he knows where Princely is going. If that's true (which I suspect it may not be), maybe the fact that he's calling him 4i Princely actually bodes well for us. That would also couple with that report from TFB that Texas seems to be trending hard with him.

chris pratt mind blown GIF by Omaze

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

As you mentioned, the worst part isn't Wescott himself, it's that these articles produce scores of satyanashes who come onto boards like this and bleed all over the place.

BON is a miserable, wretched place. I haven’t been on that website in years. Westcott completely ruined it.

I forget their names but the two guys before Westcott made BON pretty good, and Westcott turned that place into a flaming trash heap with his incessant crying wolf about aggy taking over the state and his uninformed gnashing of teeth when guys like Scott commit to some lower school that would actually take his offer.

BON is a miserable, wretched place. I haven’t been on that website in years. Westcott completely ruined it.
I forget their names but the two guys before Westcott made BON pretty good, and Westcott turned that place into a flaming trash heap with his incessant crying wolf about aggy taking over the state and his uninformed gnashing of teeth when guys like Scott commit to some lower school that would actually take his offer.
Peter, right? Peter Bean maybe? He was great.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Read more  

Peter, right? Peter Bean maybe? He was great.

Yep. That’s who it was. He did really good work. It’s a shame he passed that site off to Westcott.