Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It was Eagles and I think it was, “I ain’t goin to no damn TCU!”

That's a classic recruiting line from Brennan Eagles, lol, and it bears recalling from time-to-time.

It puts me in mind of Super Bill Bradley's comment when asked at the coin flip in the '68 Texas v. aggy game to call heads or tails and Bradley said, "It don't make a shit", lol.

What's not so funny about the Bradley line is that I remember when he made that comment, lol 😂.

Edited by XOVERX
  • Like 3

That's a classic recruiting line from Brennan Eagles, lol, and it bears recalling from time-to-time.
It puts me in mind of Super Bill Bradley's comment when asked at the coin flip in the '68 Texas v. aggy game to call heads or tails and Bradley said, "It don't make a shit", lol.
What's not so funny about the Bradley line is that I remember when he made that comment, lol .

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

My guess is there's a transfer LB that we have interest in but just hasn't happened yet like the RB from Clemson. 

Hopefully. A grad transfer or JUCO LB would be huge for the 2020 season.  This roster is pretty deep this year, but will have even fewer holes next year. LB is the most obvious one while we're looking at it one year out.

Nice to see us back on the right trend

Washington and Penn State doing good things. UCLA... yikes [mention=1357]Sbbruin[/mention]

EBcz-5vXkAAAPta?format=jpg&name=small

It's incredible that USC went 5-7 in a garbage Pac 12 last year. Just eyballing it, they've got to be #4 or #5 in four-year rolling blue chip ratio.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nice to see us back on the right trend

Washington and Penn State doing good things. UCLA... yikes @Sbbruin

EBcz-5vXkAAAPta?format=jpg&name=small

Always a good chart to look at.

This takes into account the entire roster, right? Does it look just at each class on NSD, or does it factor in attrition? If it includes attrition, we’ll be spiking way up next year too (subbing out the 16 class that has a poor ratio after attrition for 2020). If not, we’ll still go up but not by quite as much. Either way, we’re going to be solidly on the top 5 for the foreseeable future.

This chart also evidences what I was saying about aggy last week. Jimbo’s classes will be highly rated becuase he’s taking like 27 per year, but he’s not actually improving their blue chip ratio all that much. He also seems to land a few guys who are technically 4 stars but outside the top 300 every year. 

Clemson will take a pretty huge jump next year when they sub out the 16 class for 20. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Always a good to see.

This takes into account the entire roster, right? Does it look just at each class on MSD, or does it factor in attrition? If it includes attrition, we’ll be spiking way up next year too (subbing out the 16 class that has a poor ratio after attrition for 2020). If not, we’ll still go up but not by quite as much. Either way, we’re going to be solidly on the top 5 for the foreseeable future.

This chart also evidences what I was saying about aggy last week. Jimbo’s classes will be highly rated becuase he’s taking like 27 per year, but he’s not actually improving their blue chip ratio all that much. He also seems to land a few guys who are technically 4 stars but outside the top 300 every year. 

Clemson will take a pretty huge jump next year when they sub out the 16 class for 20. 

The methodology is in here from last year (this year's article is only on the Banner Society's newsletter): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The methodology is in here from last year (this year's article is only on the Banner Society's newsletter): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

Got it. Looks like he just goes off signing classes without factoring in attrition. Can’t say I blame him. It would be a very time consuming undertaking to track each roster and compile all the data accounting for each year’s attrition/transfers.

We won’t jump up as much next year, since on NSD 2016 (17:11), however 2020 will likely be higher. The real big jump for us in this metric will be going from the 17 class (6:12) to the 2021 class (likely something around the 19:8 ratio we had in 18). From there on out, we’ll be at or above that 68% line that only 3 schools are above right now.

In other words, our talent will indicate we should be a playoff team year in and year out.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jimbo’s classes will be highly rated becuase he’s taking like 27 per year, but he’s not actually improving their blue chip ratio all that much. He also seems to land a few guys who are technically 4 stars but outside the top 300 every year. 

Take a look at Jimbo's FSU classes, and try reconciling it with his performance as a head coach. Apart from one year where Charlie Strong did less with more, nobody has done less with more. And now, he's coaching somewhere where he doesn't even have more.

Preview5.png

• Like 3