Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

11 hours ago, RabidM said:

Big assumption to assume that's a Longhorn fan doing that.

11 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Bet jamieharvey is hamm or dfiggs. Or a hamm fan boy

11 hours ago, Goodman said:

This.

Well that would be convenient.

However his first post was on Nov. 24, 2011 and it was a post showing Justin Tucker’s kick against aggy. He goes on to post approx. 2000+ posts, 1/2 devoted to talking shit to aggy. 

I wish this were a long con 7 years in the making but I think we have a retard talking shit to potential recruits.

6 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Well that would be convenient.

However his first post was on Nov. 24, 2011 and it was a post showing Justin Tucker’s kick against aggy. He goes on to post approx. 2000+ posts, 1/2 devoted to talking shit to aggy. 

I wish this were a long con 7 years in the making but I think we have a retard talking shit to potential recruits.

Ummm ... you think you've discovered the case? Is this patient zero in retarded recruiting behaviors from people outside of programs? Geoff Ketchum has been covering recruiting and talking to recruits since the 90's. Billy Liucci has been doing the same. These are two of the more established guys in the space. The bar for this business isn't a low hurdle, it's a speed bump. 

Regardless, I'll start worrying about Demond Demas when we hear solid information from someone that this guy is going to qualify. The IT guys and the TFB guys are diligent enough in what they do that this might be a good endeavor for one of them to check off for their base. I don't think the ACT or SAT has been taken yet, but are the transcripts even workable?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ummm ... you think you've discovered the case? Is this patient zero in retarded recruiting behaviors from people outside of programs? Geoff Ketchum has been covering recruiting and talking to recruits since the 90's. Billy Liucci has been doing the same. These are two of the more established guys in the space. The bar for this business isn't a low hurdle, it's a speed bump. 

Regardless, I'll start worrying about Demond Demas when we hear solid information from someone that this guy is going to qualify. The IT guys and the TFB guys are diligent enough in what they do that this might be a good endeavor for one of them to check off for their base. I don't think the ACT or SAT has been taken yet, but are the transcripts even workable?

IT guys have spent most of their time chastising their subscribers for getting worked up about Demas' recruitment this early in the cycle.

Edited by Machinator

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT guys have spent most of their time chastising their subscribers for getting worked up about Demas' recruitment this early in the cycle.

Then I think that it makes even more sense for them to look into what I'm saying, right? I'm playing off more than a hunch and less than an insight.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pet TFLoss, 247 expects 5* CB Kelee Ringo to visit for the Baylor game.  That'd be 2 OOS 5* defenders expected to visit that week along with Sa'vell Smalls.

With our (non-Polynesian) ties and DB rep, I could see us landing Ringo. Doubt we have any realistic shot at Smalls. Would love to be wrong on that one though.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pet TFLoss, 247 expects 5* CB Kelee Ringo to visit for the Baylor game.  That'd be 2 OOS 5* defenders expected to visit that week along with Sa'vell Smalls.

Good. Watson and Caldwell are solid takes in a weak corner class, but lets get back to landing 5* field corners 

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

With these new redshirt and transfer rules coming into the game now I really think coaching staffs need to put a lot of effort into find character fits because even starters are bailing on programs now if they dont think they are getting attention they deserve. 

Probably is a non factor as far as determining where to put your character threshold 

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

What the fuck is this drama-queen bullshit? This dude is gonna be the Kanye of college football.

He wasn't playing as UIL hadn't cleared his transfer yet... until now.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/UIL-eligibile-Fort-Bend-Marshall-QB-Malik-Hornsby-13257114.php

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think you are reading too much into my post. Merely pointing out that the tweeting dumbass is likely a Longhorn despite our desires for the contrary. 

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

What the fuck is this drama-queen bullshit? This dude is gonna be the Kanye of college football.

Agreed - seems like there's a lot to dislike about this kid's recruitment process, entourage, and attitude. I'm not saying he isn't good - maybe he's the second coming, I don't know. But it's also very, very early. Remember when Sherrod Harris was considered by some to be the best in-state QB prospect since VY before his senior year? And Grant Gunnell's fifth star? I guess we'll see, but there just seems to be a lot of... strange things going on in his recruitment and attitude. It also seems like kids like that have a higher than average bust rate. Plus, he committed to play in Lit aggy Station. That automatically tells me there's something not quite right about him.

Hornsby's obviously really, really, really good and a take for us, but I'm also not losing sleep over at this point. I don't know - maybe I should be. But something still seems off about this whole deal.

5 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Agreed - seems like there's a lot to dislike about this kid's recruitment process, entourage, and attitude. I'm not saying he isn't good - maybe he's the second coming, I don't know. But it's also very, very early. Remember when Sherrod Harris was considered by some to be the best in-state QB prospect since VY before his senior year? And Grant Gunnell's fifth star? I guess we'll see, but there just seems to be a lot of... strange things going on in his recruitment and attitude. It also seems like kids like that have a higher than average bust rate. Plus, he committed to play in Lit aggy Station. That automatically tells me there's something not quite right about him.

Hornsby's obviously really, really, really good and a take for us, but I'm also not losing sleep over at this point. I don't know - maybe I should be. But something still seems off about this whole deal.

Are you saying that Hornsby is committed to Aggy?

17 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

With these new redshirt and transfer rules coming into the game now I really think coaching staffs need to put a lot of effort into find character fits because even starters are bailing on programs now if they dont think they are getting attention they deserve. 

1) Guess transfer database starts Oct 15th??  

2) Also, has B12 added any conference "more restrictive rules" on transfers as quote discusses below??

"College athletes will be allowed to transfer without the permission of the university or coach, and the school will be obligated to enter the athlete's name in a national transfer database within two business days.

Transfer rules for college athletes are changing.  

Once a name is in the database, any coach can contact that athlete. Previously, athletes had to receive permission from their current school to be contacted by another school before they could receive another scholarship. 

The rule change, which begins Oct. 15, applies to all Division I sports, but will mostly affect the high-revenue sports of football and men's basketball. One significant caveat is that major NCAA conferences can still implement rules that are more restrictive than the national rule. "

Edited by LTtxfan

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-wednesday-september-26th/

Quick-Hitters | Demas & Broughton
– Super K

***Spoke with a source who tells me that while Demond Demas was not planning on flipping to Texas. I am told that he was considering a possible decommitment. It’s obviously very early in the process for him and it’s clear that he wants to enjoy the process.

***Spoke with 2020 DL, Vernon Broughton, and his mother. I’m hoping to get by his practice today or tomorrow to give you some thoughts on how he looks in person.

I’ll have a full write up on Broughton, shortly. But wanted to highlight a couple of points. Texas is certainly in this one but Broughton comes from a basketball family. His mother coached nearly 20 years at the D1 level. So, this is going to be a recruitment that Texas will need to win on effort. They aren’t going to be able to rely on the Texas name brand or even winning. The Broughton’s don’t have a deep knowledge of football tradition and Vernon isn’t prioritizing the NFL.

Right now, it appears Baylor and Oklahoma State are outworking everyone else in the recruitment of Broughton. Also, wanted to note that the family says they don’t want to drag things out. So, while a decision isn’t imminent, this one will probably end sometime in late winter/early spring.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-wednesday-september-26th/

Reveal hidden contents

Quick-Hitters | Demas & Broughton
– Super K

***Spoke with a source who tells me that while Demond Demas was not planning on flipping to Texas. I am told that he was considering a possible decommitment. It’s obviously very early in the process for him and it’s clear that he wants to enjoy the process.

***Spoke with 2020 DL, Vernon Broughton, and his mother. I’m hoping to get by his practice today or tomorrow to give you some thoughts on how he looks in person.

I’ll have a full write up on Broughton, shortly. But wanted to highlight a couple of points. Texas is certainly in this one but Broughton comes from a basketball family. His mother coached nearly 20 years at the D1 level. So, this is going to be a recruitment that Texas will need to win on effort. They aren’t going to be able to rely on the Texas name brand or even winning. The Broughton’s don’t have a deep knowledge of football tradition and Vernon isn’t prioritizing the NFL.

Right now, it appears Baylor and Oklahoma State are outworking everyone else in the recruitment of Broughton. Also, wanted to note that the family says they don’t want to drag things out. So, while a decision isn’t imminent, this one will probably end sometime in late winter/early spring.

IgnorantEasygoingDrake-size_restricted.g

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Amazing how much work goes into guys who haven't even been offered yet

https://247sports.com/Player/Campbell-Speights-45573399/

Younger brother of Trevor Speights, current Stanford RB. Never seen him play but from what I hear he's not as good as his brother was at that age. Would still be cool if he gets offered, can't even remember the last valley player UT really recruited. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-weekend-september-28th-30th/

Vernon Broughton in Focus

– Super K

In the 2020 class, Vernon Broughton has emerged as one of the most highly coveted defensive linemen. His move up the recruiting ranks isn’t particularly surprising when you consider the fact that he’s a 6’5 250 lb young man who can run. God didn’t make many of those.

But what may surprise you is the fact that Broughton started playing football…last year.

Broughton grew up in a basketball family. His mother and father both played college basketball. His mother actually coached at the division one level for nearly twenty years.

“I been playing basketball most of my life”, Vernon said, “Then, last year my mom asked me to play one year of football. Just give her one year of football. That was my sophomore year and I was cool with it. So, I played”.

I asked Broughton’s mother, Yolanda about that move from football to basketball, “We transitioned to a new school and I said, give me one year of football. And, he just showed up and he got out there and said, mom, this feels good. He felt good with the leverage and his lower body. He felt more grounded on the football field”.

Once Broughton got a taste of football and began to flourish it became hard for her to keep him on the basketball court, “When it began I told him if he played one year, I promise you I won’t ask you to play again. Before you know it, I’m begging him to finish basketball because he wanted to focus on football”.

Broughton’s basketball background and the training he received from his family certainly helped the transition, “We’ve worked extremely hard on his football and he has some exceptional footwork”.

Vernon has also found help from an expert in defensive line development, coach Doug Smith who runs the Dominate the Day organization in the Houston area, “Over the summer I trained with coach Doug” Vernon noted. “We were on the field and in the weight room twice a day working on speed and agility drills. We were working on hand drills.”

Broughton says all that work and the time on the feel has made him feel more and more comfortable. Still, it’s exciting to think that the big man has yet to scratch the surface. Too many times colleges get a kid on campus and find out he’s overdeveloped or they have to break bad habits. While Broughton is building a foundation, his relative newness to the game can be seen as a bonus for coaches who feel the sky is the limit.

Recruiting

Nick Saban has churned out plenty of draft picks on the defensive line. At a camp this past summer, Broughton caught Saban’s attention. “My son called me” Yolanda described, “and said Nick Saban just offered me. He didn’t even know who Nick Saban was!” Yolanda said that Saban told Vernon that he’d take him right then and there if he wanted to commit.

While the Broughton’s weren’t ready to make a decision right then, they would like to get the process done with sooner rather than later, “If he (Vernon) could get the recruiting process over I think he’d like to. We don’t really want it to go beyond spring break. That gives him time to narrow things down. At the end of the day, not much is going to change. It’s about fit. We know Nick isn’t going anywhere. Tom isn’t going anywhere. Jimbo isn’t going anywhere”.

Vernon echoed his mother’s sentiment in terms of the process being more about finding the right fit and less so about specific criteria. Vernon has never followed college football. So, the tradition of a program isn’t as important to him, “Whoever loves me, I’m going to love them back”.

And, unlike many players, being a successful young man isn’t centered around going to the NFL, “if that happens it happens but it isn’t something I’m planning on”. Funny enough, given his raw talent Broughton is probably more likely to make it than most. Yolanda added, “What do I want? It really doesn’t matter. My goal was just to get my children to where they are at BCS level. Now, I’m just here to help him”.

Two of Vernon’s early offers came from Baylor and Oklahoma State. In fact, Baylor was Vernon’s first offer. Those two staffs appear to be recruiting Vernon very hard, “Coach Fran from Baylor and coach Richmond from Oklahoma State are the ones I talk to the most”, Yolanda noted. “It’s not even necessarily just about sports. We talk about a lot of other things”.

Texas and Oklahoma are two schools that offered this past summer and Vernon has had a chance to see both. The family attended the USC game and had a chance to speak with coach Giles and coach Herman. They visited the Sooners this past summer for their ChampU BBQ.

Next up on Broughton’s visit schedule will be the Cotton Bowl in Dallas where they plan to see Texas and OU battle it in the Red River game.

(E.J. Holland) Lunchtime nuggets: Key OL target to visit Texas soon

— Four-star 2020 Clear Creek offensive lineman Chad Lindberg will make an unofficial visit to Texas on Oct. 13, per his mother. Lindberg will also see TCU and LSU over the next few weeks. As we’ve mentioned, we feel really good about where Texas stands with Lindberg early on. Lindberg’s brother is a student at Texas, and he has been impressed with the Longhorns’ play upfront under Herb Hand.

— Texas head coach Tom Herman was personally in touch with three-star 2020 Carrollton Ranchview athlete Michael Henderson this week. Henderson will be at the Red River Showdown in a couple of weeks and plans to visit Texas later this fall. A versatile prospect, Henderson has the potential to play multiple positions at the next level. Oklahoma is considered the early leader for his services.

— Texas is continuing to evaluate four-star 2020 Keller Central athlete DJ Graham, who camped with the Longhorns this summer. Graham holds offers from Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and others and said he would love to add Texas to his lengthy list. Graham has had some communication with the staff and will be at the Red River Showdown.

— There hasn’t been any contact just yet, but Texas fans should keep an eye on 2021 Denton Guyer quarterback Eli Stowers. He has four early offers from Baylor, Oregon, TCU and Tulsa and is set to have a meteoric rise on the recruiting trail.