Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Oh, so we should have hired or vetted assistants prior to having coordinators, giving them little to no input. Fucking genius.

guy, we fired our DC and demoted our OC on 12/1

we hired our new DC on 12/15, so he has had 3 full weeks to start this process (which as far as we can tell started yesterday/today)

we hired our new OC on 12/30 so that is a newer thing - still the vacancies on the offensive side have been known since 12/1 when the staff shuffle happened (2x WR coaches, TE coach)

we should have started the vetting process on this at the latest on 12/1. we should have started the vetting process on the interim hires the same day.

instead as far as anyone can tell, we are basically starting from scratch with our position coaches with the exception of QB (Yurcich), RB (Drayton), OL (Hand) and MAYBE DL (Giles)

meanwhile, Sam fucking Pittman at Arkansas has filled out his entire staff since December 8th. Georgia, who lost Pittman, replaced him on December 10th. Mike Norvell, who was also hired on 12/8, has filled out his entire staff.

Texas meanwhile is still at the start of this entire process...why? because We're Texas.

shooting king of the hill GIF

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NoName said:

what moves has Tom Herman honestly made (or do you expect from either Yurcich or Ash) that lead you to believe we are going to have an elite coaching staff at this point?

Tom Herman hired, probably the best fit OC for Texas, Yurcich. He could have easily filled the vacancy with Lashlee (now at Miami), or Harrell, and he chose to find a better fit. Not a perceived better fit, but a better fit. He was given a coordinator reset and, for me, he's making the most of it. 

Ash was panned as a comfort hire, and we'll see how he does. With context, Ash is a damn good hire considering his experience and defensive philosophy of development over scheme. 

TH does have the tools to do this job well, he just needs to use them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

At least be somewhat rational... we are at the tail end, when a vast majority of known commodities are signed.

And yet we still have holes in our recruiting class thanks to several decomits because of a shitty season. So there's work to be done, and instead of acting with urgency, this staff is playing games with the media and taking their sweet ass time while other programs get to work, even other programs going through similar transitions. 

If it's not optimal for the program, that it deserves criticism, period. Lets say hypothetically the position coach hires on defense look like shit? What is your comment going to be then in regards to going slow and hiring fetid ballsac?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Oh, so we should have hired or vetted assistants prior to having coordinators, giving them little to no input. Fucking genius.

My post said nothing about Herman and I would have responded the same regardless of who the coach was. You know, because I’m not that emotional about the guy.

At least be somewhat rational... we are at the tail end, when a vast majority of known commodities are signed.

1) As has already been stated and as is fucking obvious - Ash already knew he was a candidate for the job and could have been lining his guys up well in advance. That's what happens. 

2) Anyone at a coordinator level in CFB has a network and rolodex of people that they can reach out to for quick references, or to tap for a role. Acting as though this isn't a fucking default expectation for anyone in these roles is your own willful ignorance.

3) Coordinators don't get to hire all of their own assistants. They'll often get to bring one key guy in, which our guys have yet to do, and then they're either introduced to staff by the HC or immediately partnered with him on who he wants. This is standard shit. 

4) We are directly in the middle of the 2 signing days. Every year after NSD1 is a new recruiting cycle in order to fill needs against new interest from other schools for outstanding targets. If you fail to grasp this, that's on you. To act as if this isn't an important period, while we're sitting on a class with like 17/18 guys in it and in need or 4-6 more is laughable. Further, it's also transfer season, and we're short and whiffing there as well. No fucking shit we can all tell what day of the year it is on the calendar, asshole. That "play stupid/be literal" lawyer bullshit is so menial that it's mindnumbing. Which leads to point 5.

5) I'm on the verge of putting you on ignore. You bring the "how to make a peanut butter sandwich" approach to posting. Everything requires a fucking explanation even when things are obvious and common sense driven, and you do it with the same subject matter repeatedly. You're like your own bot, obtusely playing stupid on every talking point that the rest of the board has already discussed and comprehends, over and over and over again. When you're not playing ignorant, you're attempting a zen mantra, above it all and clearly seeing the possibilities in the future as the rest of us scuttle about below, haplessly slinging shit at one another while you know better. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Tom Herman hired, probably the best fit OC for Texas, Yurcich. He could have easily filled the vacancy with Lashlee (now at Miami), or Harrell, and he chose to find a better fit. Not a perceived better fit, but a better fit. He was given a coordinator reset and, for me, he's making the most of it. 

Ash was panned as a comfort hire, and we'll see how he does. With context, Ash is a damn good hire considering his experience and defensive philosophy of development over scheme. 

Come on, Harrell wasn't our choice very clearly. He made the decision to stay at USC vs come to Texas. It was 100% his choice, not ours. 

I tend to agree with Yurcich - good hire, fits the needs, etc

Ash is still an unknown - but he was hired 3 full weeks ago, he is making real money and we are evidently just now starting the process on filling the large number of vacancies on his side of the ball. 

Edited by NoName

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Herman fucked up the Harrell hire. I don't know where this bullshit of him passing on Harrell is coming from, but it's patently incorrect. Please stop perpetuating that take. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets say hypothetically the position coach hires on defense look like shit? What is your comment going to be then in regards to going slow and hiring fetid ballsac?

My comment will be, they fucked up. I’ll catch up to @satyanash level with the rest of you. Everyone assumed we fucked up the OC hire but it seems it turned out fairly well. I’m not assuming anything and don’t really care about some scraps we may get who will likely never amount to much. 

Just now, NoName said:

Ash is still an unknown - but he was hired 3 full weeks ago, he is making real money and we are evidently just now starting the process on filling the large number of vacancies on his side of the ball.

His first day was reportedly yesterday, he started existing staff interviews today, he'll meet with Herman to discuss, they'll go from there. 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

His first day was reportedly yesterday, he started existing staff interviews today, he'll meet with Herman to discuss, they'll go from there. 

This is what I don’t get. He’s been known as the DC by Herman for like 6 weeks now. Whether officially the DC or not, there’s no reason he and Herman couldn’t have been interviewing and lining up position candidates that whole time. To just now be interviewing current staff and then moving to outside options is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

My comment will be, they fucked up. I’ll catch up to @satyanash level with the rest of you. Everyone assumed we fucked up the OC hire but it seems it turned out fairly well. I’m not assuming anything and don’t really care about some scraps we may get who will likely never amount to much. 

we didn't "fuck up" the OC hire, we swung and missed on our top choices, got super fucking lucky that a guy who checked the boxes was at one of the few places in the universe than has 3 OCs (Head Coach, Yurcich + Kevin Wilson) and willing and able to move on and then paid $Texas to hire him. 

go defend Tom Herman and his terrible process. because this is 100% a terrible process that is highly unlikely to lead to positive results. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Herman fucked up the Harrell hire. I don't know where this bullshit of him passing on Harrell is coming from, but it's patently incorrect. Please stop perpetuating that take. Thanks.

It has been universally reported that the Harrell to Texas hire was not made as a result of Herman's distaste for how Air Raid offenses practice. I have seen exactly zero credible reports that Tom fucked it up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Yeah, those NSD2 guys never amount to shit. I can think of one off the top of my head in recent years, one Moro Ojomo, who we are not only expecting to amount to much, we're fucking desperately banking on it. And that's one guy. I'm sure other posters can follow along with a long ass list of quality NSD2 guys.

Oh, by the way, Alfred Collins is a NSD2 guy as well. Kelvontay Dixon. These guys aren't fucking scraps. I'm sure you'll attempt to discount those guys because they were "known" before NSD1 and schools were on them, but that doesn't change the fact we have an empty staff right now not recruiting them when other schools are doing so, so yes, it's a fucking hole and a problem. It's like you're against the concept of running a program as efficiently as possibly, and dismissive of other programs who manage to do what we cannot, therefore it must not be important. Just absurd. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Oh, is that how these things work? Just like coaches never have contacts or agents gauging interest in other positions before the end of a season, or before they're even past their current/last job? Come on dude. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Here is the timeframe:

• 12/1 - Texas fires Todd Orlando
  • week of 12/1 to 12/6 - Texas interviews Chris Ash
  • 12/15 - Texas hires Chris Ash (per a Hookem.com article "Ash will join the coaching staff on Wednesday but will not coach in the Alamo Bowl, according to UT.)
  • 1/6 - Chris Ash has his first "official day" in the job

if we are starting the process to replace and review the entire defensive staff on 1/6 we are fucked.

Ash has been a legitimate candidate for 5 full weeks at this point, was announced 3 full  weeks ago.

during the last 3 weeks, a (large) number of new coaches have built their staff from scratch - including Arkansas, FSU and Jeff Traylor down at UTSA.

meanwhile, Texas is starting the process to evaluate their coaches on 1/6.

what is wrong with this picture?

• Like 1

Everybody is so reactionary today. Have some fucking perspective. What's the rush to hire position coaches? The only real potential starter left out there for NSD2 is Collins, and things are continuing to trend toward landing him. Are we really up in arms because we want to pack the class with late risers? Come on... 

If Herman can bring in some great position coaches to maximize what he gets from his very good to exceptional coordinator hires, he gets a pass from me. If he forces more shitty or unknown coaches on the program, I'll have a different opinion. 

• Like 8

Which recruits are being impacted by this slow process? I guess you could say Rakestraw since we don't have a corners coach. 

Collins is probably coming here regardless. Who knows with Princely but this process might work in our favor it we land Okam. Dixon's primary recruiter is Drayton (per 247) and we have an OC in place to sell him on the offense. That's assuming Dixon is being recruited at RB. 

The grad transfers we seem to be targeting are on the OL (Hand) and DL (Giles). Both coaches were retained at those positions. Based on what I've read and activity on Twitter, Carrington seems to be the guy leading the charge on most of those anyways. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

These are in the group I stated we’re already looking good for...

We'd probably look better if we had guys actually recruiting them. Meanwhile, Dixon to UTSA is picking up fucking team. It would be a shame to have someone counteract that kind of momentum. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Here is the timeframe:

• 12/1 - Texas fires Todd Orlando
  • week of 12/1 to 12/6 - Texas interviews Chris Ash
  • 12/15 - Texas hires Chris Ash (per a Hookem.com article "Ash will join the coaching staff on Wednesday but will not coach in the Alamo Bowl, according to UT.)
  • 1/6 - Chris Ash has his first "official day" in the job

if we are starting the process to replace and review the entire defensive staff on 1/6 we are fucked.

Ash has been a legitimate candidate for 5 full weeks at this point, was announced 3 full  weeks ago.

during the last 3 weeks, a (large) number of new coaches have built their staff from scratch - including Arkansas, FSU and Jeff Traylor down at UTSA.

meanwhile, Texas is starting the process to evaluate their coaches on 1/6.

what is wrong with this picture?

Anyone that thinks we 'started the process' on assistant coaches this week - also believes Herman when he says he didn't watch any 2016 film.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well TFB thinks we’re just going to hire Rutgers retreads, so it looks like we’re losing recruits by taking forever AND the hires will suck.

Well they also floated Courtney what's-his-nut-ingham from KSU and then we hired Yurcich. (which we all like) Maybe Herman and Ash are just terrible at foreplay?

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Anyone that thinks we 'started the process' on assistant coaches this week - also believes Herman when he says he didn't watch any 2016 film.

Either we didn't start the process and we're idiots, or we have been going through the process all along and we are slow AF and suck at it. Which one do you pick?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Some of these names like (Carrier and Jones) have been popping up for weeks. It's fairly obvious they've been vetting candidates for some time. 

I think it is one of two things. Either we are having a hard time finding assistants with a link to Rutgers or just bad timing.

I bet we were on the verge of hiring something like this

WR - Mike Norvell or Kalen DeBoer or Jeff Scott

TE - Eliah Drinkwitz

CB - Jeff Hafley or Jimmy Lake

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

These are in the group I stated we’re already looking good for...

right now we have openings/needs at CB, DL and LB. none of those positions have coaches in place to even reach out to players. since NSD1, i think we have made one offer, in part because we don't have coaches to either evaluate or reach out to players - do you think Rackstraw wants Stan Drayton to reach out to him and start talking to him? nope. do you want Jason Washington (TBD on returning) to offer/reach out? nope.

we are not in a position to leverage our needs to get late bloomers/guys who didn't sign on NSD1

we are not in a position to leverage a kid's childhood love of Texas or the brand of Texas to get late bloomers/guys who didn't sign on NSD1

we are not in a position to do really anything at this point because we currently have an RB coach and an OL coach who are guaranteed to return and that is it.

there is no "good process" that leaves you in this kind of hole to start off 2020. it isn't like we suddenly lost a coach to a new staff or to take a step up to a position elsewhere. we knew we were making changes...and at this point there are only like 2 team still playing so it isn't like we are waiting to poach like 5 total coaches from Clemson and LSU either. 

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is as idiotic as saying that USC fucked up the Carroll hire.  It ended well.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Dead period runs through the 16th.  As long as we have the position coaches in place in advance of the 17th we're likely ok.  But they do need to be in place in advance with enough time to do their intros/outreach and hit the ground running on the 17th.  To me, we need all positions filled by the end of this weekend.  If we push into next week with positions unfilled it starts to become a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

right now we have openings/needs at CB, DL and LB. none of those positions have coaches in place to even reach out to players. since NSD1, i think we have made one offer, in part because we don't have coaches to either evaluate or reach out to players - do you think Rackstraw wants Stan Drayton to reach out to him and start talking to him? nope. do you want Jason Washington (TBD on returning) to offer/reach out? nope.

That's fair but you don't think Ash can make some of those evaluations? Some of his first follows on twitter were recruits like Dontae Manning. Ford flipped to Texas a few days after Ash was hired. 

It's fairly obvious Ash has been evaluating positions of need. 

I don't buy for a second Herman and Ash are sitting on their asses waiting to evaluate recruits. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

what are we waiting on at this point then? 

75% of NFL teams are no longer playing. 99% of CFB teams are no longer playing

are we to believe that we are going to fill our WR, TE, DT, LB, S/CB positions from the Texans, Chiefs, Seahawks, Packers, Vikings, 49ers, Titans, Ravens, Clemson and LSU staffs? 

no, really. the process that ends up with you getting last choice of position coaches when everyone elses seasons are over and basically every new coach/hire has already filled their staffs isn't a good one. 

Edited by NoName

Could it be that other roles appear more stable?

Ash was unemployed and Yurcich buried on depth chart (and got big raise) so that explains their coming. 

Herman is on hot seat and a lot of assistants may not want to churn their families into this shitshow. 

Texas right now to me is negotiating from position of weakness and may have to overpay, sign longer contract length or take bets on up/comers. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Some might say 'slow', others may say 'deliberate'.

My hope is that it's taking awhile because good assistants have options and you have to let them make a decision. That's my hope. There was a week where different $9.95ers floated Masshingham and Major Applewhite while one stated that Rhett Lashlee wouldn't leave SMU for Texas. He's at fucking Miami now. It turns out our guy was still coaching in the playoffs and we gave him $1.7 million.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Could it be that other roles appear more stable?

Ash was unemployed and Yurcich buried on depth chart (and got big raise) so that explains their coming. 

Herman is on hot seat and a lot of assistants may not want to churn their families into this shitshow. 

Texas right now to me is negotiating from position of weakness and may have to overpay, sign longer contract length or take bets on up/comers. 

Fingers crossed. 

You forgot to include that Herman is a dick and no one wants to work for him.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Harrell signed for $1.2M and we're paying Yurcich $1.7M.  Either we completely jacked this to the point we had to overpay Yurcich by a ton, Harrell wasn't the choice in the first place or GH completely marches to his own beat.  Given what we eventually paid Yurcich, had we wanted Harrell he would've had to decide it was worth staying in LA for $500K-$1M less (considering the difference in cost of living).  Not beyond the realm of possibility, but he'd had to be a different kind of cat to make that decision.

Edited by Stampeder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's fair but you don't think Ash can make some of those evaluations? Some of his first follows on twitter were recruits like Dontae Manning. Ford flipped to Texas a few days after Ash was hired. 

It's fairly obvious Ash has been evaluating positions of need. 

I don't buy for a second Herman and Ash are sitting on their asses waiting to evaluate recruits. 

fair point, but it is hard to recruit guys when you can't tell them who their position coaches are. Yes, you get Ford who is just happy to get a Texas offer. but there aren't many dudes out there that are willing to jump on board without even knowing who their coach is going to be...

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Harrell signed for $1.2M and we're paying Yurcich $1.7M.  Either we completely jacked this to the point we had to overpay Yurcich by a ton, Harrell wasn't the choice in the first, place or GH completely marches to his own beat.  Given what we eventually paid Yurcich, had we wanted Harrell he would've had to decide it was worth staying in LA for $500K-$1M less (considering the difference in cost of living).  Not beyond the realm of possibility, but he'd had to be a different kind of cat to make that decision.

can't speak for the back half of your comment but Yurcich made about $1.3M with bonuses this year.

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We'd probably look better if we had guys actually recruiting them. Meanwhile, Dixon to UTSA is picking up fucking team. It would be a shame to have someone counteract that kind of momentum. 

If Dixon seriously chooses UTSA over Texas, then good luck to him.  Texas needs more players that really want to be at Texas and are willing to compete for playing time... not guys that are willing to go to UTSA just to start earlier.... 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Harrell signed for $1.2M and we're paying Yurcich $1.7M.  Either we completely jacked this to the point we had to overpay Yurcich by a ton, Harrell wasn't the choice in the first, place or GH completely marches to his own beat.  Given what we eventually paid Yurcich, had we wanted Harrell he would've had to decide it was worth staying in LA for $500K-$1M less (considering the difference in cost of living).  Not beyond the realm of possibility, but he'd had to be a different kind of cat to make that decision.

Harrell is all about what best sets himself up for a top HC gig in the near future. Staying at USC does just that. I don't think it was anything more than that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

There is no hope. Squat to pee or get the fuck out!

at this point, how many NCAA coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

how many P5 coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

how many top 25/blueblood/teams hoping to compete for a CFP berth have coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

this is a serious question. being last in the chute has it's consequences.

being last in the chute, after everyone else has filled their staff and when your coach is on the hot seat next year? sure - i am sure that people are lining up for that opportunity! let's give them all the time they need!

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Harrell is all about what best sets himself up for a top HC gig in the near future. Staying at USC does just that. I don't think it was anything more than that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  Helton's seat is nuclear hot, their current recruiting class in shambles and a declining roster.  Herman's seat is hot, no doubt, but not like Helton's and our roster in much better shape.  One could easily argue overhauling an offense at two different locations in one off-season would position him much better.  Either way, and no insider info here, but all signs would indicate he wasn't the choice here or just isn't motivated by $$.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Dixon seriously chooses UTSA over Texas, then good luck to him.  Texas needs more players that really want to be at Texas and are willing to compete for playing time... not guys that are willing to go to UTSA just to start earlier.... 

if the argument is that we should get players because "We're Texas" that is a terrible argument. 

Texas is the ones fucking this recruitment up - not Dixon.

Texas didn't push until late in the process, Texas has complete coordinator turnover across the board, Texas has no position coach for his position and Texas is still somehow still in the race despite fucking this up basically every way possible. 

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah. I'm familiar with this refrain. It's been the one spouted by aTm fans since the dawn of time. Just need good ole Ags who want to be Ags! Fucking stupid. Dixon is a witch and fills a needed spot at either WR or CB after the defection of Johnson and Pouncy due to staff instability and general shitting down our legs this season. He's being lured by his former coach, Jeff Traylor, to UTSA. As we all know Traylor is a hell of a recruiter in his own right. Having someone on staff he can connect with who will be his position coach for the next several years would go a long way towards counteracting Traylor's pitch. 

But yeah, stick with the fucking aTm defense for losing out on players. it's a real good look. 

Edited by SydneyCarton