Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Tim Brewster may be going back to A&M?

What did I miss? 

A&M's TE coach ran the fuck away from college station at his first chance so they have an opening.  Liucci floated Brewsters name to sell subs - so now he's going to leave semi-retirement and his family in North Carolina to come back to a place he hated.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ChemicalHorn said:

You could say it, unfortunately you’d be wrong. 

Conference Championships

Texas - 1

USC - 4

Wins
Texas - 116

USC - 129

That’ll happen when you stack 3 consecutive losing seasons though - thanks Charlie!

I chose 2006-2017 recruiting classes was because that’s when FUPM stopped recruiting pipe-hittin’ mutha fuckers. Those classes were upperclassmen in 2008-2019, so I intentionally left out the last two recruiting classes. USC won two of those conference championships in 2006 and 2007, while Texas got screwed out of the 2008 Big 12 Championship plus a BCSCG. Texas played for one (shoulda been two) BCS titles while USC had zero.

I’m not sure what years your win totals cover, but they may be closer if you just look at 2008-2019. And with USC having an average recruiting rank of 5.1 to Texas’ 8.9, I still say USC edges Texas for the most underperforming team.

It’s pitiful that both of these teams are vying for the Most Underperforming Team trophy, but they earned it. 

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm down with Andre Coleman as WR coach - I just wish we had a better idea of what kind of recruiter he is.  I get that he spent most of his coaching career at a recruiting wasteland - but whoever is WR coach is going to have to do some heavy lifting on the recruiting trail here.

If Coleman is the guy at WR, we better hire an elite recruiter at TE and at least one on the defensive side of the ball. Most staffs need at least a couple guys that can be assigned to cutthroat recruitments regardless of position. We had one guy like that in Beck, and he's gone. 

43 minutes ago, Fud said:

Anwar, who has been Herman's mouthpiece, said yesterday that Emmett Jones hasn't been mentioned from his sources, and this am Chip said that he hasn't been contacted by Herman

He's my #1 choice there, although Carrier ("he's Carrington but a coach") and Coleman (six years under Snyder means he can really coach, the players love him, the only question mark is recruiting ability) are fine by me too 

This feels misleading. Anwar has reported what Texas has told him to report, when Texas wants it reported to maintain his sourcing. Emmett Jones is not some sort of secret, there are going to be lots of schools chasing his services. I'll interpret this as TH hoping to keep his pursuit under the radar so he doesn't have to get in a public bidding war for a position coach.

Chip generally knows nothing and often offers "sourced info" at face value without context. IT hasn't backed off of Jones as the leader, we'll have to see if they address it today. Idc if it's Coleman, Jones, or Carrier but I'd like them to make up their minds soon so we can pick up a WR on NSD2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm down with Andre Coleman as WR coach - I just wish we had a better idea of what kind of recruiter he is.  I get that he spent most of his coaching career at a recruiting wasteland - but whoever is WR coach is going to have to do some heavy lifting on the recruiting trail here.

If Coleman is the guy at WR, we better hire an elite recruiter at TE and at least one on the defensive side of the ball. Most staffs need at least a couple guys that can be assigned to cutthroat recruitments regardless of position. We had one guy like that in Beck, and he's gone. 

If Coleman is the guy, then Herman's failure to demote Mehringer and promote Coleman mid-season speaks volumes. 

Posted on the 2020 coaching thread but ties to recruiting and the current convo

FCB

It sounds like Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is staying at A&M.

Tom Herman is not considering Tim Brewster as tight ends coach.

Herman hasn't yet spoken with Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones as receivers coach.

Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are starting work full-time today at Texas and will interview current assistant coaches about possibly being retained.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Posted on the 2020 coaching thread but ties to recruiting and the current convo

FCB

It sounds like Texas A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is staying at A&M.

Tom Herman is not considering Tim Brewster as tight ends coach.

Herman hasn't yet spoken with Kansas receivers coach Emmett Jones as receivers coach.

Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are starting work full-time today at Texas and will interview current assistant coaches about possibly being retained.

Good thing that pickled liver'd pile of zebra shit knows less about what's going on with Texas football than what Jimbo Fisher knows in regards to pleasing a woman.

Although, that being said, now that everyone has made peace with our coordinator hires and are working to convince themselves to be optimistic this offseason, it would be monumentally epic and entertaining as fuck to watch the meltdown here if Herman and company manage to botch the position coach hires so badly to create a completely unexpected meltdown. It would be like we are Wile E Coyote or Yosemite Sam falling asleep on a crate of TNT with a lit fuse running to it. 

I bet Clay Jennings or Les Koennig are still available. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Brewster has a lot of family and family stuff going on in North Carolina. This sounds more like his annual pay raise effort than anything. 

This, the dude is always trying to reset his market. Mack will oblige him unless Jimbo just money whips the shit out of him and pays 2M for a lit tight ends coach. 

Edited by Vertigo

I don't have the text, but Bobby Burton has an article with quotes from Barton Simmons at the All-American Game.   Apparently, Simmons thinks Karic's arms are too short to be a tackle and that he will have to be a guard.  I'm pretty sure Hand and Herman would say that is bullshit.

Simmons also likes Dorbah as a standup OLB.

Bijan and Collins are "can't miss", Collins due to his enormous frame.

Commit on these hittas!

We really need a guy who can develop our talented WRs.
Recruiting matters, but Texas recruits itself pretty well already. Hell, Mehringer was recruiter of the year at one point after fucking up multiple quality targets.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good thing that pickled liver'd pile of zebra shit knows less about what's going on with Texas football than what Jimbo Fisher knows in regards to pleasing a woman.

Although, that being said, now that everyone has made peace with our coordinator hires and are working to convince themselves to be optimistic this offseason, it would be monumentally epic and entertaining as fuck to watch the meltdown here if Herman and company manage to botch the position coach hires so badly to create a completely unexpected meltdown. It would be like we are Wile E Coyote or Yosemite Sam falling asleep on a crate of TNT with a lit fuse running to it. 

I bet Clay Jennings or Les Koennig are still available. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the coordinator hires, but 1/2 being an easily obtainable comfort hire isn't great. The assistant coaching hires will give us a lot more data points, and if he comfort hires it up like I still think he may, then all my optimism will be completely gone, because he'll probably do just well enough to keep his job another yearand fuck over the program even worse before he leaves. If he goes out and hires a combination of nationally proven coaches and a young up and comer or two, like Joyner or Mohns, then I'm sure I'll be able to swing myself into full on kool-aid mode by the start of next season. 

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don't have the text, but Bobby Burton has an article with quotes from Barton Simmons at the All-American Game.   Apparently, Simmons thinks Karic's arms are too short to be a tackle and that he will have to be a guard.  I'm pretty sure Hand and Herman would say that is bullshit.

Simmons also likes Dorbah as a standup OLB.

Bijan and Collins are "can't miss", Collins due to his enormous frame.

Good thing Simmons is a moron who uses outdated NFL position requirements to pigeonhole recruits.  Simmons constantly misses on guys who will be studs in college, because his inflated ego makes him think he's an NFL scout. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Commit on these hittas!

We really need a guy who can develop our talented WRs.
Recruiting matters, but Texas recruits itself pretty well already. Hell, Mehringer was recruiter of the year at one point after fucking up multiple quality targets.

That recruiter of the year thing is a joke. Mehringer got credit for guys he didn't recruit and guys like Beck did after Mehringer missed on his targets. I agree that you have to prioritize coaching ability over recruiting, but everyone acts like there's this strict dichotomy where you only get one or the other. There are plenty of positions coaches who can do both at a high level, and we need to be hiring those types.  Plus, like I said earlier, while you don't need an elite recruiter at every spot, you do need a couple on the staff. If we keep Coleman, that just means they need to be at other positions.

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good thing Simmons is a moron who uses outdated NFL position requirements to pigeonhole recruits.  Simmons constantly misses on guys who will be studs in college, because his inflated ego makes him think he's an NFL scout. 

I just had a weird series of thoughts based on this post. 

Another name for a moron is a maroon. 

aggy's colors are maroon and white, which made me transpose with moron and white, and that is pretty much perfect. 

Edited by Vertigo

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I just had a weird series of thoughts based on this post. 

Another name for a moron is a maroon. 

aggy's colors are maroon and white, which made me transpose with moron and white, and that is pretty much perfect. 

Feel free to keep your thoughts to yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

IT/Scoop - apologies to dark moders, I don't have the time to reformat the links

Spoiler

By: Eric Nahlin, Joe Cook, and Justin Wells

This week's Scoop dives into recruiting following the two premier high school All American games with notes and quotes from Texas signees and commits, Bijan Robinson on Mike Yurcich, assistant coaching updates and more for your Monday Scoop.

COACHING

New offensive and defensive coordinators, Mike Yurcich and Chris Ash, will formally begin working today.

Craig Naivar and Jason Washington still don't know their fate, though we've heard they don't expect to be back. The performance in the Alamo Bowl at least makes these two worth watching, however.

For a brief time, moving Naivar to defensive line was discussed. He has experience at the position. We feel that is very unlikely.

Washington's corners, finally allowed to be aggressive, played great versus Utah. It helped that the D-line played well out of its new looks but that should have always been the case, which in turn would have helped the rest of the defense, including the corners.

I feel both are unlikely to return. Naivar could land with Todd Orlando.

Ash should only make a move if he has real upgrades on the hook, but in Naivar's case Ash himself will be viewed as the upgrade as he also coaches safeties. Naivar does have versatility. He'd probably make a solid special teams option as well. Those guys are always yelling and cussing.

We haven't heard Elijah Robinson's name but others have mentioned him so we checked on it. We've heard two things, he wants to move back "home" and to watch the New York Giants if Matt Rhule gets that job. That would fit as 'back home'. The current A&M defensive tackles coach was at Baylor with Rhule and Temple before that. He'd be a great hire for Texas but is unlikely.

After asking around about Frank Okam, I don't think he's being mentioned as a viable defensive tackles coach.

If the Giants do hire Rhule, I've heard Joey McGuire will get an interview and may be the front-runner at Baylor.

I've heard Tim Brewster has interest in the Texas tight ends job but we've been through that song and dance so many times, I barely even tap my toe to it. I think Herman feels the same.

For wide receivers coach we still think Emmett Jones and Tyron Carrier are the top choices, but we don't think either has formally interviewed.

Herman is clearly taking time to collaborate with his new coordinators.

PRINCE DORBAH (featuring Bijan Robinson)

Nowadays you can hardly find a song, especially in the rap world, that doesn't feature a guest appearance. If this is where interviews are heading, sign me up.

Prince Dorbah: Bijan! Hey, he said he wants to get my impression on the [bowl] game, what should I say?

[Bijan Robinson walks over]

Dorbah: How'd you feel about the game, bro?

Robinson [laughing]: We're blessed, we're blessed.

Inside Texas: What did you think about the running backs? They finally started bouncing the ball outside.

Robinson: I saw it too. I mean, if they did that since the beginning of the season those running backs would have had a lot more yards. What I saw from them, it's just the beginning.

IT: They got them involved in the passing game too which was a big selling point to you.

Robinson: It was huge, huge.

IT: What did you think about the offensive line?

Robinson: As you saw yesterday they were all connected. I know there's a lot of seniors on there [two]. The kids coming into school will get there, get used to the speed, and we'll be doing the exact same stuff.

[Robinson passes the mic back to Dorbah]

IT: After Ossai's game you saw how it could look with you on the edge. What did you think of that?

Dorbah: Oh, it's going to be fun as hell.

IT: What's the latest with you in general?

Dorbah: I'm just blessed to be out here. Competing against these great players. Playing a little linebacker because I know I'm going to be playing it next year. There's a lot of space to play in, I have to get used to it. It's fun playing off the edge, covering, doing a lot of other things and being versatile.

IT: You're playing off the ball here, is that what you're doing at Texas or playing on the line?

Dorbah: Yessir, I plan on being versatile. I've already talked to Coach Ash about it. He's going to put me on the field like a Rover mirroring Ossai on the other side and we're just getting after the quarterback.

I'm still not entirely clear on what Dorbah's role will be but it sounds like they're going to try and get him on the field as soon as possible. I'm guessing he'll be in a 3rd and long rush package opposite Ossai but he's going to have to earn his way. Dorbah currently weighs 215 pounds.

THEADIS REAGINS ON HUDSON CARD

Justin will have more on Card but I wanted to offer the thoughts of North Shore's defensive backs coach. Not only did Reagins coach against Lake Travis in the state semi-finals, he was at the Under Armour All American game coaching defensive backs too.

After the playoff game, Reagins was impressed. He knew Card was rusty and coming off of injury. After his time in Orlando, he came back even more impressed. Remembering our previous exchange, he mentioned, "Card is the real deal. His poise, leadership, his ability, everything impressed me. To see it up close and see his demeanor was impressive. Humble, soft spoken kid."

After hearing the last part, I said, "soft spoken, but still a leader?" He fired back, "yes, you see the game?" Aiight then.

BILLY BOWMAN JR.

These quotes were gathered by Christian McCollum from Irish Sports Daily.

It's testament to the Denton Ryan junior's explosive versatility that McCollum assumed Bowman would play receiver on the next level. Even with good familiarity with Bowman that's an easy assumption to make.

What do you know about Yurcich?
"He would come in and recruit my quarterback my freshman year [while Yurcich was at Oklahoma State], Spencer Sanders. He'd come in every once in a while and we sort of built a relationship off of that and when he went off to Ohio State he'd come in sometimes and now he's at Texas, so I like that."

Has Herman talked to him about Yurcich yet?
"He hasn't really talked to me about Yurcich yet but I do know that Coach Ash, the new defensive coordinator, he talked about we're going to play simple and fast, not do too much but not be predictable. That works for me. We'll get the job done."

Bowman has as much two-way ability as you'll find. With him being a 2021 prospect it's a bit harder to map out roster needs that far in advance, but if Ash continues to load up on defensive backs, you can bet Yurcich will be wanting to arm wrestle for Bowman's services.

Bowman still best projects to safety or nickel but if Texas misses on JoJo Earle, he may make the most sense on offense. You can bet Yurcich and Jalen Milroe will begin working overtime on Earle.

As for Bowman, he's solid, but he wouldn't entirely rule out taking visits over the spring when talking to writers of different schools. From the audio, it sounded more like he's just being nice than anything else. His reasons for picking Texas were liking Tom Herman, the convenience of being close to home, and just his general feel of the school.

BIJAN ROBINSON & OHIO STATE SIGNEE CJ STROUD ON MIKE YURCICH

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich won’t have to make fresh introductions to everyone in the Longhorns’ current signing class. He’s already familiar with its highest-rated member.

While on Ohio State’s staff, Yurcich recruited Longhorns running back signee Bijan Robinson. The Buckeyes were Texas’ closest competition for Robinson’s commitment, and Yurcich was a reason why.

“We talked to each other a lot,” Robinson said after an All-American Bowl practice. “Obviously, he was trying to recruit me to Ohio State. When we had that connection and interaction when I did go up there, it was all love between us two. I’m very happy he’s a coach at Texas.”

Robinson said he reached out to Yurcich as soon as his hiring was announced, and both are glad they get to work together. He’s excited to be able to work in an offense at Texas akin to what Ohio State ran this season.

“How Ohio State used JK (Dobbins) this year, he’ll bring the same thing in his offense,” Robinson said. “Using that at Texas is huge for the running game.”

Dobbins’ production on the field isn’t the limit of the familiarity between Yurcich and Robinson. As part of his recruiting process, Robinson studied offenses Yurcich called as Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator.

He saw what type of backs Yurcich preferred in his offense and how Robinson fit that mold. He liked how Yurcich called the offense and kept running backs like Justice Hill involved.

“When he was offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, how he used the running backs was huge for how Texas will look,” Robinson said.

Robinson, who will be spending the upcoming spring in speed training, was the only Longhorn offensive skill signee at the All American Bowl in San Antonio. Other All-Americans Yurcich recently recruited had positive things to say about the new Texas OC.

Yurcich was the primary recruiter for Ohio State quarterback signee CJ Stroud. Though Stroud won’t work with Yurcich in Columbus, he enjoyed working with him during the recruiting process.

“He’s definitely one of the best,” Stroud said. “He’s definitely a great offensive mind, definitely a great quarterback mind. He’ll do a lot of great things at Texas. I wish the best for him.”

With Yurcich as his position coach under tOSU head coach Ryan Day, Justin Fields passed for 3,273 yards and 41 touchdowns to three interceptions. That phenomenal season was one of the reasons Yurcich and Ohio State appealed to Stroud.

“From my perspective, he made it simple on the quarterbacks,” Stroud said. “He didn’t like little mistakes. He tries to take that away in his games with film study and drills in practice. He likes to eliminate all mental mistakes and let his quarterbacks just play full speed. That was one thing that lead me toward Ohio State.

“I think he’ll add some of Coach Day’s offense to Texas’ new offense. I think everything is going to be good.”

While the Texas staff embarks on finishing the 2020 class this month, we've touched on some names to know down the stretch.

Kelvontay Dixon, Tre Bradford, Isaiah Dunson, and Jahmyr Gibbs are a few prospects with Texas in their ear. Dixon will OV to Austin on January 31st but the lack of a WR coach and strong pushes from UTSA, Baylor, and Florida might make this more difficult. Dunson will visit UT in January as well. Gibbs might fall to LSU.

The big fish left on the hook is Bastrop Cedar Creek's Alfred Collins. At 6-foot-5, 280+, the four-star defensive lineman remains the top target for this class. He's been asked a dozen times who he likes. Texas, Alabama, OU, and Baylor remain the constants, but behind the scenes, the Longhorns might hold the cards.

It's no secret Texas has been a top school for his services. With his mother's history with the school, his close relationship to DL coach Oscar Giles, and proximity to home, UT always had a good shot. With the expected four-man front coming with Chris Ash, this one looks a little better. There will be many that want daily updates, but right now UT looks to be the lead horse. They just need to finish the race.

In Orlando, there were a handful of Texas signees on the scene for the Under Armour All American game last week. I caught up with a few of the future Longhorns and added some intel from coaches and instructors at the event.

On Kitan Crawford...the John Tyler four-star corner enjoyed his time during the festivities.

"Man, I had a blast," said Crawford. "It was fun really. I got to meet Ed Reed and Deion Sanders. They were teaching me about staying low and being light on my feet. I feel like I can use these techniques when I get to Austin."

"Kitan has some dog to him," said one instructor. "He's lighting quick and takes coaching real well. When he learns his keys, he'll play and probably won't leave the field."

On Vernon Broughton...the big guy brought it last week. The state's top rated defensive lineman surprised many with his quickness at his size (6-foot-5, 285) and his burst off the ball. Pairing him with Collins would be a D-line coach's dream. Of note, Broughton will be recognized for his academic excellence on March 12-15th in Washington D.C. He's a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Award, given to the top African-American scholar athlete. He currently has the second highest GPA of the group pf nominees.

"Vernon is the real deal," an instructor told me. "We had no idea how agile he'd be, especially at his size. He's got the right mindset too. Texas got a real gem here. Coach Giles will love him."

On Jake Majors...the composite four-star from Prosper earned the starting center job at UA, snapping to future teammate Hudson Card. I'm told he did well with lots of room for growth.

On Hudson Card.... If any prospect made a bigger impression than the Texas quarterback signee, I want to meet him. Coaches raved about his exploits all week. When it came time to shine, he was sparkling.

"I love, love, love Card," said an instructor. "That MF has 'it.' He's a real cool cat, then competes like a dog. Impressed with his arm, accuracy, and athleticism. You fall in love watching him spin it."

Here's his first scoring strike, negated by a penalty.

Then this dime to keep six on the board.

Card left Orlando with a ton of confidence heading into 2020. He'll enroll at UT on January 16th and get to work. We're probably seeing Sam Ehlinger's heir apparent, and that should make Texas fans giddy. I caught up with Card briefly between skiing on the slopes in Colorado. I'll have a full interview posted soon.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT/Scoop - apologies to dark moders, I don't have the time to reformat the links

Hide contents

This week's Scoop dives into recruiting following the two premier high school All American games with notes and quotes from Texas signees and commits, Bijan Robinson on Mike Yurcich, assistant coaching updates and more for your Monday Scoop.

COACHING

New offensive and defensive coordinators, Mike Yurcich and Chris Ash, will formally begin working today.

Craig Naivar and Jason Washington still don't know their fate, though we've heard they don't expect to be back. The performance in the Alamo Bowl at least makes these two worth watching, however.

For a brief time, moving Naivar to defensive line was discussed. He has experience at the position. We feel that is very unlikely.

Washington's corners, finally allowed to be aggressive, played great versus Utah. It helped that the D-line played well out of its new looks but that should have always been the case, which in turn would have helped the rest of the defense, including the corners.

Ash should only make a move if he has real upgrades on the hook, but in Naivar's case Ash himself will be viewed as the upgrade as he also coaches safeties. Naivar does have versatility. He'd probably make a solid special teams option as well. Those guys are always yelling and cussing.

We haven't heard Elijah Robinson's name but others have mentioned him so we checked on it. We've heard two things, he wants to move back "home" and to watch the New York Giants if Matt Rhule gets that job. That would fit as 'back home'. The current A&M defensive tackles coach was at Baylor with Rhule and Temple before that. He'd be a great hire for Texas but is unlikely.

After asking around about Frank Okam, I don't think he's being mentioned as a viable defensive tackles coach.

If the Giants do hire Rhule, I've heard Joey McGuire will get an interview and may be the front-runner at Baylor.

I've heard Tim Brewster has interest in the Texas tight ends job but we've been through that song and dance so many times, I barely even tap my toe to it. I think Herman feels the same.

For wide receivers coach we still think Emmett Jones and Tyron Carrier are the top choices, but we don't think either has formally interviewed.

Nowadays you can hardly find a song, especially in the rap world, that doesn't feature a guest appearance. If this is where interviews are heading, sign me up.

Prince Dorbah: Bijan! Hey, he said he wants to get my impression on the [bowl] game, what should I say?

Inside Texas: What did you think about the running backs? They finally started bouncing the ball outside.

Robinson: I saw it too. I mean, if they did that since the beginning of the season those running backs would have had a lot more yards. What I saw from them, it's just the beginning.

IT: They got them involved in the passing game too which was a big selling point to you.

Robinson: As you saw yesterday they were all connected. I know there's a lot of seniors on there [two]. The kids coming into school will get there, get used to the speed, and we'll be doing the exact same stuff.

IT: After Ossai's game you saw how it could look with you on the edge. What did you think of that?

Dorbah: I'm just blessed to be out here. Competing against these great players. Playing a little linebacker because I know I'm going to be playing it next year. There's a lot of space to play in, I have to get used to it. It's fun playing off the edge, covering, doing a lot of other things and being versatile.

IT: You're playing off the ball here, is that what you're doing at Texas or playing on the line?

Dorbah: Yessir, I plan on being versatile. I've already talked to Coach Ash about it. He's going to put me on the field like a Rover mirroring Ossai on the other side and we're just getting after the quarterback.

I'm still not entirely clear on what Dorbah's role will be but it sounds like they're going to try and get him on the field as soon as possible. I'm guessing he'll be in a 3rd and long rush package opposite Ossai but he's going to have to earn his way. Dorbah currently weighs 215 pounds.

Justin will have more on Card but I wanted to offer the thoughts of North Shore's defensive backs coach. Not only did Reagins coach against Lake Travis in the state semi-finals, he was at the Under Armour All American game coaching defensive backs too.

After the playoff game, Reagins was impressed. He knew Card was rusty and coming off of injury. After his time in Orlando, he came back even more impressed. Remembering our previous exchange, he mentioned, "Card is the real deal. His poise, leadership, his ability, everything impressed me. To see it up close and see his demeanor was impressive. Humble, soft spoken kid."

After hearing the last part, I said, "soft spoken, but still a leader?" He fired back, "yes, you see the game?" Aiight then.

BILLY BOWMAN JR.

It's testament to the Denton Ryan junior's explosive versatility that McCollum assumed Bowman would play receiver on the next level. Even with good familiarity with Bowman that's an easy assumption to make.

"He would come in and recruit my quarterback my freshman year [while Yurcich was at Oklahoma State], Spencer Sanders. He'd come in every once in a while and we sort of built a relationship off of that and when he went off to Ohio State he'd come in sometimes and now he's at Texas, so I like that."

"He hasn't really talked to me about Yurcich yet but I do know that Coach Ash, the new defensive coordinator, he talked about we're going to play simple and fast, not do too much but not be predictable. That works for me. We'll get the job done."

Bowman has as much two-way ability as you'll find. With him being a 2021 prospect it's a bit harder to map out roster needs that far in advance, but if Ash continues to load up on defensive backs, you can bet Yurcich will be wanting to arm wrestle for Bowman's services.

Bowman still best projects to safety or nickel but if Texas misses on JoJo Earle, he may make the most sense on offense. You can bet Yurcich and Jalen Milroe will begin working overtime on Earle.

As for Bowman, he's solid, but he wouldn't entirely rule out taking visits over the spring when talking to writers of different schools. From the audio, it sounded more like he's just being nice than anything else. His reasons for picking Texas were liking Tom Herman, the convenience of being close to home, and just his general feel of the school.

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich won’t have to make fresh introductions to everyone in the Longhorns’ current signing class. He’s already familiar with its highest-rated member.

While on Ohio State’s staff, Yurcich recruited Longhorns running back signee Bijan Robinson. The Buckeyes were Texas’ closest competition for Robinson’s commitment, and Yurcich was a reason why.

“We talked to each other a lot,” Robinson said after an All-American Bowl practice. “Obviously, he was trying to recruit me to Ohio State. When we had that connection and interaction when I did go up there, it was all love between us two. I’m very happy he’s a coach at Texas.”

Robinson said he reached out to Yurcich as soon as his hiring was announced, and both are glad they get to work together. He’s excited to be able to work in an offense at Texas akin to what Ohio State ran this season.

“How Ohio State used JK (Dobbins) this year, he’ll bring the same thing in his offense,” Robinson said. “Using that at Texas is huge for the running game.”

Dobbins’ production on the field isn’t the limit of the familiarity between Yurcich and Robinson. As part of his recruiting process, Robinson studied offenses Yurcich called as Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator.

He saw what type of backs Yurcich preferred in his offense and how Robinson fit that mold. He liked how Yurcich called the offense and kept running backs like Justice Hill involved.

“When he was offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, how he used the running backs was huge for how Texas will look,” Robinson said.

Robinson, who will be spending the upcoming spring in speed training, was the only Longhorn offensive skill signee at the All American Bowl in San Antonio. Other All-Americans Yurcich recently recruited had positive things to say about the new Texas OC.

Yurcich was the primary recruiter for Ohio State quarterback signee CJ Stroud. Though Stroud won’t work with Yurcich in Columbus, he enjoyed working with him during the recruiting process.

“He’s definitely one of the best,” Stroud said. “He’s definitely a great offensive mind, definitely a great quarterback mind. He’ll do a lot of great things at Texas. I wish the best for him.”

With Yurcich as his position coach under tOSU head coach Ryan Day, Justin Fields passed for 3,273 yards and 41 touchdowns to three interceptions. That phenomenal season was one of the reasons Yurcich and Ohio State appealed to Stroud.

“From my perspective, he made it simple on the quarterbacks,” Stroud said. “He didn’t like little mistakes. He tries to take that away in his games with film study and drills in practice. He likes to eliminate all mental mistakes and let his quarterbacks just play full speed. That was one thing that lead me toward Ohio State.

“I think he’ll add some of Coach Day’s offense to Texas’ new offense. I think everything is going to be good.”

While the Texas staff embarks on finishing the 2020 class this month, we've touched on some names to know down the stretch.

Kelvontay Dixon, Tre Bradford, Isaiah Dunson, and Jahmyr Gibbs are a few prospects with Texas in their ear. Dixon will OV to Austin on January 31st but the lack of a WR coach and strong pushes from UTSA, Baylor, and Florida might make this more difficult. Dunson will visit UT in January as well. Gibbs might fall to LSU.

The big fish left on the hook is Bastrop Cedar Creek's Alfred Collins. At 6-foot-5, 280+, the four-star defensive lineman remains the top target for this class. He's been asked a dozen times who he likes. Texas, Alabama, OU, and Baylor remain the constants, but behind the scenes, the Longhorns might hold the cards.

It's no secret Texas has been a top school for his services. With his mother's history with the school, his close relationship to DL coach Oscar Giles, and proximity to home, UT always had a good shot. With the expected four-man front coming with Chris Ash, this one looks a little better. There will be many that want daily updates, but right now UT looks to be the lead horse. They just need to finish the race.

In Orlando, there were a handful of Texas signees on the scene for the Under Armour All American game last week. I caught up with a few of the future Longhorns and added some intel from coaches and instructors at the event.

On Kitan Crawford...the John Tyler four-star corner enjoyed his time during the festivities.

"Man, I had a blast," said Crawford. "It was fun really. I got to meet Ed Reed and Deion Sanders. They were teaching me about staying low and being light on my feet. I feel like I can use these techniques when I get to Austin."

"Kitan has some dog to him," said one instructor. "He's lighting quick and takes coaching real well. When he learns his keys, he'll play and probably won't leave the field."

On Vernon Broughton...the big guy brought it last week. The state's top rated defensive lineman surprised many with his quickness at his size (6-foot-5, 285) and his burst off the ball. Pairing him with Collins would be a D-line coach's dream. Of note, Broughton will be recognized for his academic excellence on March 12-15th in Washington D.C. He's a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Award, given to the top African-American scholar athlete. He currently has the second highest GPA of the group pf nominees.

"Vernon is the real deal," an instructor told me. "We had no idea how agile he'd be, especially at his size. He's got the right mindset too. Texas got a real gem here. Coach Giles will love him."

On Jake Majors...the composite four-star from Prosper earned the starting center job at UA, snapping to future teammate Hudson Card. I'm told he did well with lots of room for growth.

On Hudson Card.... If any prospect made a bigger impression than the Texas quarterback signee, I want to meet him. Coaches raved about his exploits all week. When it came time to shine, he was sparkling.

"I love, love, love Card," said an instructor. "That MF has 'it.' He's a real cool cat, then competes like a dog. Impressed with his arm, accuracy, and athleticism. You fall in love watching him spin it."

Card left Orlando with a ton of confidence heading into 2020. He'll enroll at UT on January 16th and get to work. We're probably seeing Sam Ehlinger's heir apparent, and that should make Texas fans giddy. I caught up with Card briefly between skiing on the slopes in Colorado. I'll have a full interview posted soon.

i THINK i fixed this for dark mode folks? if not let me know and i will delete it

Spoiler

By: Eric Nahlin, Joe Cook, and Justin Wells

COACHING

Prince Dorbah: Bijan! Hey, he said he wants to get my impression on the [bowl] game, what should I say?

Dorbah: How'd you feel about the game, bro?

Robinson [laughing]: We're blessed, we're blessed.

Robinson: I saw it too. I mean, if they did that since the beginning of the season those running backs would have had a lot more yards. What I saw from them, it's just the beginning.

IT: They got them involved in the passing game too which was a big selling point to you.

Robinson: As you saw yesterday they were all connected. I know there's a lot of seniors on there [two]. The kids coming into school will get there, get used to the speed, and we'll be doing the exact same stuff.

IT: After Ossai's game you saw how it could look with you on the edge. What did you think of that?

IT: What's the latest with you in general?

IT: You're playing off the ball here, is that what you're doing at Texas or playing on the line?

BILLY BOWMAN JR.

Kelvontay Dixon, Tre Bradford, Isaiah Dunson, and Jahmyr Gibbs are a few prospects with Texas in their ear. Dixon will OV to Austin on January 31st but the lack of a WR coach and strong pushes from UTSA, Baylor, and Florida might make this more difficult. Dunson will visit UT in January as well. Gibbs might fall to LSU.

The big fish left on the hook is Bastrop Cedar Creek's Alfred Collins. At 6-foot-5, 280+, the four-star defensive lineman remains the top target for this class. He's been asked a dozen times who he likes. Texas, Alabama, OU, and Baylor remain the constants, but behind the scenes, the Longhorns might hold the cards.

On Kitan Crawford...the John Tyler four-star corner enjoyed his time during the festivities.

On Vernon Broughton...the big guy brought it last week. The state's top rated defensive lineman surprised many with his quickness at his size (6-foot-5, 285) and his burst off the ball. Pairing him with Collins would be a D-line coach's dream. Of note, Broughton will be recognized for his academic excellence on March 12-15th in Washington D.C. He's a finalist for the Franklin D. Watkins Award, given to the top African-American scholar athlete. He currently has the second highest GPA of the group pf nominees.

On Jake Majors...the composite four-star from Prosper earned the starting center job at UA, snapping to future teammate Hudson Card. I'm told he did well with lots of room for growth.

On Hudson Card.... If any prospect made a bigger impression than the Texas quarterback signee, I want to meet him. Coaches raved about his exploits all week. When it came time to shine, he was sparkling.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1212909788633415681

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1212910154276102144

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Nahlin posted in the all American game thread that he heard that Karic was shorter than expected without long arms to make up for it, fwiw

Guys like that can do well at tackle in college if they're badasses, but if you're a national guy going off of what typically happens instead of looking for exceptions, I don't blame him. For now, he's probably a swing guy.  

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Nahlin posted in the all American game thread that he heard that Karic was shorter than expected without long arms to make up for it, fwiw

Guys like that can do well at tackle in college if they're badasses, but if you're a national guy going off of what typically happens instead of looking for exceptions, I don't blame him. For now, he's probably a swing guy.  

Doesn't matter, Javonne Shepherd is the future at tackle. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh, hundreds of players announce this every year who had no realistic early draft chances. Nothing wrong with that video. 

I'm currently working on my own video, where I announce I'll continue to sell houses instead of becoming a star with Brazzers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

COACHING

[bijan Robinson walks over]

BILLY BOWMAN JR.

Kelvontay DixonTre BradfordIsaiah Dunson, and Jahmyr Gibbs are a few prospects with Texas in their ear. Dixon will OV to Austin on January 31st but the lack of a WR coach and strong pushes from UTSA, Baylor, and Florida might make this more difficult. Dunson will visit UT in January as well. Gibbs might fall to LSU.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1212909788633415681

8HfB-q4M_normal.jpg Justin Wells@justinwells2424

HELL OF A THROW @Hcard7. #UAAllAmerica

hPh1Hg_4tILo5YOt?format=jpg&name=small   421 8:33 PM - Jan 2, 2020 Twitter Ads info and privacy
  49 people are talking about this      

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1212910154276102144
8HfB-q4M_normal.jpg Justin Wells@justinwells2424  · Jan 2, 2020  

HELL OF A THROW @Hcard7. #UAAllAmerica

hPh1Hg_4tILo5YOt?format=jpg&name=small
8HfB-q4M_normal.jpg Justin Wells@justinwells2424  

AND ANOTHER. @Hcard7 #HookEm

Wj_FBqEV_Wn6B3Ji?format=jpg&name=small   151 8:34 PM - Jan 2, 2020 Twitter Ads info and privacy
  16 people are talking about this      

I remember a time not that long ago where recruits had to promise the school offering a scholly they wouldnt partake in such activities. Don't know if it was an actual threat or not, but taken seriously nonetheless..

Just now, Mo Horn said:

So any Baylor recruits that didn't sign early that we want, now that it looks like Rhule is going to the Panthers? Didn't we have some flip from us  to them late in the process? Any early signees that want to petition for a release from their LOI?

Can only help with Alfred Collins.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

So any Baylor recruits that didn't sign early that we want, now that it looks like Rhule is going to the Panthers? Didn't we have some flip from us  to them late in the process? Any early signees that want to petition for a release from their LOI?

Their three unsigned commits seems pretty meh (except for their names), and they're all DBs

https://247sports.com/player/chateau-reed-46085725/

https://247sports.com/player/theron-stroops-46085267/

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-celestine-46085266/

• Like 2

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Gotta think it helps with Princely. Wonder if their signees will be released from the LOIs with impunity. Maybe we make another run at the CB from Austin?

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Baylor has the worst recruiting class in the big 12 and only 15 commits.  We also don't know just how many of the position coaches/coordinators Rhule plans on taking with him to the NFL.