Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think you're overestimating how solidified coaching staffs are this time of year. 

let's limit it to just the Big 12 - excluding Baylor due to changes today - how many coaching staffs currently have this many openings for position coaches?

then add in the SEC to the mix - excluding MSU - how many coaching staffs currently have this many openings for position coaches? 

while staffs are in flux in December, it is pretty rare for a team who is hoping to be good to turnover this many coaches and still have this many positions open after the first of the year/after bowls have been played...

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

at this point, how many NCAA coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

how many P5 coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

how many top 25/blueblood/teams hoping to compete for a CFP berth have coaching staffs are this incomplete, without firing their coach late in the process like Moorhead at MSU?

this is a serious question. being last in the chute has it's consequences.

being last in the chute, after everyone else has filled their staff and when your coach is on the hot seat next year? sure - i am sure that people are lining up for that opportunity! let's give them all the time they need!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think you're overestimating how solidified coaching staffs are this time of year. 

let's limit it to just the Big 12 - excluding Baylor due to changes today - how many coaching staffs currently have this many openings for position coaches?

then add in the SEC to the mix - excluding MSU - how many coaching staffs currently have this many openings for position coaches? 

while staffs are in flux in December, it is pretty rare for a team who is hoping to be good to turnover this many coaches and still have this many positions open after the first of the year/after bowls have been played...

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yep.  NSD1 has changed things - but there are still going to be some significant staff changes across college football when assistant contracts expire after NSD2.

if we are waiting until after NSD2 to fill our WR, TE, CB/S, LB and DT positions we are truly fucked.

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Dixon seriously chooses UTSA over Texas, then good luck to him.  Texas needs more players that really want to be at Texas and are willing to compete for playing time... not guys that are willing to go to UTSA just to start earlier.... 

If this isn’t the last 5 years of the Mack Brown Era summed up, I have no fucking clue what is....

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Like 2

Just now, NoName said:

It doesn't matter. If we make the right hires. It.Doesn't.Matter.*

*We are still able to make the wrong hires.

Just now, NoName said:

if we are waiting until after NSD2 to fill our WR, TE, CB/S, LB and DT positions we are truly fucked.

It must be exhausting for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. I'm familiar with this refrain. It's been the one spouted by aTm fans since the dawn of time. Just need good ole Ags who want to be Ags! Fucking stupid. Dixon is a witch and fills a needed spot at either WR or CB after the defection of Johnson and Pouncy due to staff instability and general shitting down our legs this season. He's being lured by his former coach, Jeff Traylor, to UTSA. As we all know Traylor is a hell of a recruiter in his own right. Having someone on staff he can connect with who will be his position coach for the next several years would go a long way towards counteracting Traylor's pitch. 

But yeah, stick with the fucking aTm defense for losing out on players. it's a real good look. 

I thought Hank Scorpio had accidentally revealed his sock. 

And, just for you: 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I thought Hank Scorpio had accidentally revealed his sock. 

And, just for you: 

Hide contents

giphy.gif

Out of curiosity, which part of my post did you think was satire?

Jeff Traylor is Dixon's old coach and they have a good relationship?
Dixon fills needs at WR and CB after two recruit decommits?
Traylor is a hell of a recruiter?
We don't have a WR or CB coach?
Dixon is a good player?
Aggies always talk about only wanting players who want to be Ags?

I'm just curious what in my post set off your sarcasm alarm. What don't you agree with?

Edited by SydneyCarton

It seems Ash is approaching the Texas DC position like any true surly poster would approach a new job by not doing any work at all until his first "official" day.

If his behavior wasn't adversely affecting my favorite sports institution I would roundly applaud it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Out of curiosity, which part of my post did you think was satire?

Jeff Traylor is Dixon's old coach and they have a good relationship?
Dixon fills needs at WR and CB after two recruit decommits?
Traylor is a hell of a recruiter?
We don't have a WR or CB coach?
Dixon is a good player?
Aggies always talk about only wanting players who want to be Ags?

I'm just curious what in my post set off your sarcasm alarm. What don't you agree with?

Sorry, wasn't clear- I meant LTxFan's post read like a Scorpio post.

Just to be clear, which side of the chicken little crowd do I bring my bunker survival kit to, the, “no coach worth a shit wants to get on this sinking ship” or “the staff needs to hurry up and hire its position coaches”  group? Maybe I should combine the two and make a, “hurry up and hire JAG coaches because there’s nothing left” group.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Shit, how did I overlook that this group already exists?
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just to be clear, which side of the chicken little crowd do I bring my bunker survival kit to, the, “no coach worth a shit wants to get on this sinking ship” or “the staff needs to hurry up and hire its position coaches”  group? Maybe I should combine the two and make a, “hurry up and hire JAG coaches because there’s nothing left” group.

You'd fit in better with either the "trust the corches" or "since you think you know better, who would you have hired already?" groups.

• Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

In case yah haven't seen this yet... Thx @Ricky's one-hitter for finding this tweet!!

Are you sure you can't find any more threads to post this several hours old tweet on? I just want to make sure that you're being completely thorough. There might be a Food & Travel thread about Athens, Georgia that you might have missed. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

The thing I don't fucking understand is what the fuck was Ash doing between when he was hired on December 15th, and yesterday, which was apparently his first day on the job? Just sitting around pulling his pud? Getting suckoffs from South Austin's mom? Having his head angles measured by his personal haberdasher for square fucking visors?

For fuck's sake man! Get to fucking work! Why in the fuck didn't we interview ANYONE for three and a half goddamn weeks? Not even the dopes that were already on staff! Jesus christ, they were sitting around in their offices in Bellmont! That's not being fucking deliberate or careful. It's being fucking lazy and stupid. He didn't even have to coach in the bowl game, for chrissakes!

Aight. I'm gonna go drink some whiskey to calm down.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

These are in the group I stated we’re already looking good for...

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Everybody is so reactionary today. Have some fucking perspective. What's the rush to hire position coaches? The only real potential starter left out there for NSD2 is Collins, and things are continuing to trend toward landing him. Are we really up in arms because we want to pack the class with late risers? Come on... 

If Herman can bring in some great position coaches to maximize what he gets from his very good to exceptional coordinator hires, he gets a pass from me. If he forces more shitty or unknown coaches on the program, I'll have a different opinion. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Which recruits are being impacted by this slow process? I guess you could say Rakestraw since we don't have a corners coach. 

Collins is probably coming here regardless. Who knows with Princely but this process might work in our favor it we land Okam. Dixon's primary recruiter is Drayton (per 247) and we have an OC in place to sell him on the offense. That's assuming Dixon is being recruited at RB. 

The grad transfers we seem to be targeting are on the OL (Hand) and DL (Giles). Both coaches were retained at those positions. Based on what I've read and activity on Twitter, Carrington seems to be the guy leading the charge on most of those anyways. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's fair but you don't think Ash can make some of those evaluations? Some of his first follows on twitter were recruits like Dontae Manning. Ford flipped to Texas a few days after Ash was hired. 

It's fairly obvious Ash has been evaluating positions of need. 

I don't buy for a second Herman and Ash are sitting on their asses waiting to evaluate recruits. 

You guys are awfully insouciant about our recruiting position at this moment. Texas has done its damnedest to send Collins running screaming into the arms of alternative programs, such as OU and Bama. I still feel good about getting him, but the longer one allows uncertainty in the mind of a target, the longer that target has reason to wander. If you're comfortable with just letting Nick Saban make his arguments without counterpoints? Good for you.

There is still work to be done in this class. If the class winds up incomplete, you can do what you want, but I'll put it squarely on the nonchalance from the Head Narcissist In Charge. His behavior has been unbelievable since before arriving at Texas. We'll pay for an incomplete class in the future, too.

Herman has shown himself to be a functioning imbecile. He's done so in public. He called in to bitch at a radio commenter over the air. We've heard about all of the other things he had going in the past at OSU, much of which was corroborated by travel records. I've offered anecdotes about other shit he's done. Others have as well. He's flipped off live television. He is a fucking clown. If you don't think he's capable of ignoring a prior year's film, you're out of your mind. He ignored his own film and personnel choices on the field, clearly, for multiple seasons at Texas. He ignored input from multiple other sources about the staff he was bringing to Texas in the first place, and then he fucking ignored direction to push a few out after year one. He brought in Casey Horny and then dug in his heels on him and went so far as to recently float his name an on-field coaching candidate and trial ballooned that bullshit by having him shadow-run the special teams for the season. The notion that this goober is incapable of fucking off on the personnel front because he's pissed he had to let his boys go is fucking absurd. That's almost certainly an element to his approach right now. That's who he is.

The only reason you think this guy is above doing something stupid involving his staff is because you're putting him on a pedestal. You're doing that because he's a coach for a program you like, and you're succumbing to the halo effect. When Herman is inevitably fired for more stupid, obstinate and likely unnecessary shit in a year or two, you guys will be the same guys saying "yeah, we knew we were in trouble the day he showed up with Tim Beck and the UH staff". Untrue. You continue to give him the benefit of the doubt with his actions when none of it is merited. 

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Harrell signed for $1.2M and we're paying Yurcich $1.7M.  Either we completely jacked this to the point we had to overpay Yurcich by a ton, Harrell wasn't the choice in the first place or GH completely marches to his own beat.  Given what we eventually paid Yurcich, had we wanted Harrell he would've had to decide it was worth staying in LA for $500K-$1M less (considering the difference in cost of living).  Not beyond the realm of possibility, but he'd had to be a different kind of cat to make that decision.

Herman talked Harrell back into his USC role and then was shocked when Harrell was fine taking less money to stay put. This is the hiring maneuver known in some parts as "The Noah Cain". But yeah, use logic as it pertains to emotional decisions being made in a high stakes game of poker between two alphas. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shit you're right man. I did fuck that up. Guess I just transposed the East Texas connection and familiarity with Traylor to Carthage vs. Gilmer. Thanks. 

Tbf, Traylor was his recruiter at Arky.  So just say that's what you meant and bitch at everyone else.  It is working for the boards today.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

From now on, I guess I should PM @closetojumping for his opinion before posting. If I’m visible enough in the dark shadow of his ego to receive counseling, maybe I’ll become a worthy member of the board.

32 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

To be clear, the resident narcissist won’t allow me to be in any group except the chicken littles.

Boo fucking hoo. What is it, you got your period? Have a cranberry juice.

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Honestly major props to Satya for hacking into the accounts of 90% of the posters in this thread. Impressive sock work the last few pages. 

pos rep. The imagery of this in my head made me laugh.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are awfully insouciant about our recruiting position at this moment. Texas has done its damnedest to send Collins running screaming into the arms of alternative programs, such as OU and Bama. I still feel good about getting him, but the longer one allows uncertainty in the mind of a target, the longer that target has reason to wander. If you're comfortable with just letting Nick Saban make his arguments without counterpoints? Good for you.

There is still work to be done in this class. If the class winds up incomplete, you can do what you want, but I'll put it squarely on the nonchalance from the Head Narcissist In Charge. His behavior has been unbelievable since before arriving at Texas. We'll pay for an incomplete class in the future, too.

Herman has shown himself to be a functioning imbecile. He's done so in public. He called in to bitch at a radio commenter over the air. We've heard about all of the other things he had going in the past at OSU, much of which was corroborated by travel records. I've offered anecdotes about other shit he's done. Others have as well. He's flipped off live television. He is a fucking clown. If you don't think he's capable of ignoring a prior year's film, you're out of your mind. He ignored his own film and personnel choices on the field, clearly, for multiple seasons at Texas. He ignored input from multiple other sources about the staff he was bringing to Texas in the first place, and then he fucking ignored direction to push a few out after year one. He brought in Casey Horny and then dug in his heels on him and went so far as to recently float his name an on-field coaching candidate and trial ballooned that bullshit by having him shadow-run the special teams for the season. The notion that this goober is incapable of fucking off on the personnel front because he's pissed he had to let his boys go is fucking absurd. That's almost certainly an element to his approach right now. That's who he is.

The only reason you think this guy is above doing something stupid involving his staff is because you're putting him on a pedestal. You're doing that because he's a coach for a program you like, and you're succumbing to the halo effect. When Herman is inevitably fired for more stupid, obstinate and likely unnecessary shit in a year or two, you guys will be the same guys saying "yeah, we knew we were in trouble the day he showed up with Tim Beck and the UH staff". Untrue. You continue to give him the benefit of the doubt with his actions when none of it is merited. 

Herman talked Harrell back into his USC role and then was shocked when Harrell was fine taking less money to stay put. This is the hiring maneuver known in some parts as "The Noah Cain". But yeah, use logic as it pertains to emotional decisions being made in a high stakes game of poker between two alphas. 

I get it. Those are all fair criticisms. 

But I'm not upset with Herman taking his time to get these hires "right". Herman should have done that when he was initially hired instead of hiring all his buddies. Now if this process leads to 1) bad hires or 2) losing important recruits like Collins then flame away. 

Herman has definitely had fuck ups but that doesn't mean this process is wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Is it possible to get an insider that can just tell us what is going to happen instead of how something that already happened happened?

Nah. One of Herman's actually endearing traits is how he always ices out the media until things are close to finished.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) As has already been stated and as is fucking obvious - Ash already knew he was a candidate for the job and could have been lining his guys up well in advance. That's what happens. 

2) Anyone at a coordinator level in CFB has a network and rolodex of people that they can reach out to for quick references, or to tap for a role. Acting as though this isn't a fucking default expectation for anyone in these roles is your own willful ignorance.

You still use a rolodex??

*if this has been covered, i apologize. I skipped ahead. 

48 minutes ago, BERT said:

You still use a rolodex??

*if this has been covered, i apologize. I skipped ahead. 

I don't think I know what a real one looks like. Don't act like it isn't a commonly used term for going into the contacts.

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He may be chronologically younger than Tom Herman, but psychologically, he's older than Brat, and twice as constipated.

Old man, I am not nearly as crotchety or persnickety as you seem to think. If we met in person, you would enjoy the conversation until some sort of bar brawl inevitably broke out due to ne'er-do-wells, no doubt. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don't think I know what a real one looks like. Don't act like it isn't a commonly used term for going into the contacts.

Old man, I am not nearly as crotchety or persnickety as you seem to think. If we met in person, you would enjoy the conversation until some sort of bar brawl inevitably broke out due to ne'er-do-wells, no doubt. 

The number one rule of bar fights is to be able to duck without spilling your beer.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

lots of inevitable brawls at the bars you frequent I'm sure.