Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Definitely want but he’s signed, can’t imagine this is a situation they let kids out of their NLI

Idk that Baylor would release everyone independently of a request, and we certainly can't recruit Jahdae without his release.

If Baylor hires AHC Joey McGuire and maybe half of the staff stays, I do not think this situation would qualify. If Baylor hires an outsider and most/all of the staff leaves, I do think that Baylor would have to consider it. I'm struggling to remember a similar situation after the addition of early signing day. When Pete Carroll left for Seattle, there were no signed players even though it was a later hire (Jan. 11). 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

While I’m happy when our kids sign early, I just dont see any advantage to doing so other than to “get it over with.”

If you're a top recruit with options, you likely have the leverage unless you're committed to Bama, LSU, Georgia, or Ohio State, so there's not much reason to sign early, or even at all other than risking getting injured in a car accident or tearing your acl while working out. If you're not a top recruit, then you're risking the school replacing your spot. 

Just now, Fud said:

If you're a top recruit with options, you likely have the leverage unless you're committed to Bama, LSU, Georgia, or Ohio State, so there's not much reason to sign early, or even at all other than risking getting injured in a car accident or tearing your acl while working out. If you're not a top recruit, then you're risking the school replacing your spot. 

It's also a psychological beating for the players and families unless they really, really love the coverage. Not signing on SD1 pretty much means being inundated with new activity from the $9.95ers, other recruits, and numerous staffs. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

When you're in our predicament, signing early helps for our kids to not get poached until we're actually back. We just lost 2 kids to a school we curb stomped, and another to a school that lost their WR coach. I don't think I can take losing any more kids later. Signing early is also a good thing. 

It's good for teams and fans, bad for the kids. Frankly, the kids shouldn't sign a LOI at all. Just commit, accept the financial aid package and enroll. It would be tricky to pull that off for mediocre recruits, but the top 100 should have no problem keeping their spot in a class. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

So any Baylor recruits that didn't sign early that we want, now that it looks like Rhule is going to the Panthers? Didn't we have some flip from us  to them late in the process? Any early signees that want to petition for a release from their LOI?

• Chateau Reed (3* Safety frok OK, #16 in the state)
  • Theron Stroops (3* CB from Lancaster, #134 in TX)
  • Jalen Celestine (3* Safety from LA, #114 in LA)

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

if you are a top recruit (5*) you should never sign an NLI in the first place, only student loan documents. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's good for teams and fans, bad for the kids. Frankly, the kids shouldn't sign a LOI at all. Just commit, accept the financial aid package and enroll. It would be tricky to pull that off for mediocre recruits, but the top 100 should have no problem keeping their spot in a class. 

Agree with you about not having to sign a LOI for the top 100. I'm just tired of kids flipping, so to me getting it over with is a relief for me as a fan, but agree that as a player they shouldn't have to. I can see it from both perspectives. 

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Rhule is looking at his recruiting class and running like hell before he gets stuck with these players

Part of the reason the recruiting class is how it is, is because of the likelihood of Rhule was always going to go the NFL. 

Now that it's final, good. (unless that hire a HR)

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Part of the reason the recruiting class is how it is, is because of the likelihood of Rhule was always going to go the NFL. 

Now that it's final, good. (unless that hire a HR)

The class is like 80% like this because Rhule goes to the beat of his own drum in evals (a lot of track times and wingspans),

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I expected Chateau Reed to be the whitest person I've ever seen.  I was incredibly wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nahlin is hearing Carrier and Okam. He admitted Jones may have been a premature leader in their eyes. The staff would then be:

Offense

QB: Yurcich

TE: TBD

WR: Carrier

RB: Drayton

OL: Hand

Defense

DE: Okam

CB: TBD (potentially Washington, he interviews with Ash today)

S: Ash

LB: TBD (potentially George, he interviews with Ash today)

DL: Giles

Would like to see an exceptional recruiter at TE, and an exceptional technician at CB. A Torrian Grey clone would be ideal.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin is hearing Carrier and Okam. He admitted Jones may have been a premature leader in their eyes. The staff would then be:

Offense

Defense

Would like to see an exceptional recruiter at TE, and an exceptional technician at CB. A Torrian Grey clone would be ideal.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for Giles to coach DEs and Okam DL?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Offense

Defense

That offense def. needs a rainmaker recruiter to replace Beck - who can help out across the board.

I am 100% ok with keeping Washington + who cares at LB as long as Ash is comfortable and the guy can either develop v well or recruit v well.

Can anyone give me a reason to go with Carrier over E Jones?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I am 100% ok with keeping Washington + who cares at LB as long as Ash is comfortable and the guy can either develop v well or recruit v well.

For all of the decrying over the Ash "comfort hire", I think his LB coach and choices about who stays from the old staff are actually more important than the offensive hires. There are elite position coaches that would be willing to come to Texas, and we should be going after them as opposed to sticking with retreads after an historically bad defensive season.

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Remind me, why hasn't Texas offered? Oh right, we need a CB coach. Hurry up Tom, goddammit!

so either

1. everyone who has offered him in the last 2 weeks is sending in non-commitable offers (doubtful) 
  2. we do not think he is good enough (possible, but at this point if he is good enough for those folks he should be good enough for us)
  3. he has dropped through the cracks because no one has any clarity on their job and the future because our football program is run by some mensa-level fuck who can't multitask very well despite firing his DC a month ago and can't sit down with his new DC to say "hey, should we offer any of these guys?" - have we even made any offers in the last week or so or were we too busy preparing for the bowl game and getting this straight for the new OC
  4. we are saving the ship for '21

the fact that we are now 3 weeks into the Chris Ash experiment, we have no real clarity on who the defensive coaches are going to be outside of keeping Giles, we are blowing it with offers as NSD2 guys lock in their OVs and still have this "We're Texas, they will come visit us" mentality that has burned the program for how many years in a row?

but really, what offers have we made in the last week+?

///

Edit: per Anwar the meetings with Naviar (who folks here who know him say has been let go) and Giles are still to meet with Ash. guess he spent all day yesterday getting his outlook signature set up and learning how to use the phone...

Spoiler

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and defensive coordinator Chris Ash are expected to interview the remaining coaches on Tom Herman’s staff this week as they determine who should remain in Austin.

From what I have been able to gather, defensive line coach Oscar Giles is slated to meet with Ash on Tuesday, and defensive backs coach Jason Washington’s meeting is slated to occur on Wednesday. Safeties coach safeties coach Craig Naivar and interim linebackers coach Jeremiah George will meet with Ash, too.

According to my sources, this will not resemble Herman’s initial interviews with Charlie Strong’s remaining staff members. Those coaches were informed during those meetings by Herman they would not be retained. Instead, I learned these meetings are intended for the coordinators to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each coach before reconvening with Herman and discussing who should be retained.

As I previously reported, running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive line coach Herb Hand are safe.

In addition, Baylor defensive line coach Frank Okam is a candidate to become a member of Herman’s staff, according to my sources.

Okam was a four-year letterman at Texas, and a fifth-round pick by Houston in 2008. He spent the past two seasons coaching Baylor’s defensive line. Prior to Baylor, Okam coached at Rice. It appears Herman and Ash will need to determine Giles’ future before deciding whether they will heavily pursue Okam.

Just for clarity, I heard there is a chance Texas could have co-defensive line coaches in 2020. Herman and Ash will determine that direction. For now, I think it safe to say all cards are on the table as relates to that position.

Here is an information article by Max Olson about Baylor's dominant defensive line in 2019: https://theathletic.com/1401296/2019/11/25/baylor-defensive-line-bravvion-roy-james-lynch/

I will keep you posted.

over it i give up GIF

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course Herman is doing his best to fuck this up. What a fucking dipshit. It's a good thing Texas couldn't use another CB.

Are there any assistants candidates from the NFL/CFB teams that are not done with their seasons yet??  

For example LB/DL Coach....

eqlg4pjld3zouotoildt

Just now, texifornia said:

Since the staff turnover, not sure if we've offered anyone besides Jahmyr Gibbs.

i can at least understand it on offense, in theory Yurcich was already doing some evaluating and recruiting of folks that may be out there still based on his prior position.

Chris Ash has been without a job since September, was recruiting mainly in the NW and has known likely for weeks he was at least a frontrunner for this position. meanwhile we are taking it slow and having an interview with coaches to evaluate them before getting back with Herman and making a collective decision for the following positions:

• Safeties coach (vacant per posters here)
  • CB coach
  • LB coach (interim)
  • DL coach
  • WR coach (interim)
  • TE coach (now vacant)

not like this is an important recruiting time or anything. why not burn another week and change figuring out staff changes, before even starting the hiring process for those positions. 

how anyone can think it is the right move to continue to have more open position coach positions (RB, OL, QB) than filled position coach positions a month out from NSD2 is beyond me. at this point we have known for 30 days that we were making changes at both coordinator positions, and we are just now starting to actually evaluate the remaining staff. Tom Herman is truly playing like 6D chess at this point!

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

how anyone can think it is the right move to continue to have more open position coach positions (RB, OL, QB) than filled position coach positions a month out from NSD2 is beyond me.

I'm fine with the move as long as the coaching hires are exceptional. I would much rather have an elite staff that was pieced together thoughtfully than a few 2020 late risers. 

• Like 1

I’d rather make sure we get the right coaches than rush it for a couple potential recruits, who may or may not pan out. We may get a couple more recruits we’re not already looking good, but to think that prospects are going to change much at this point in the game, based on a position coach, is kind of reaching.

• Like 5

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

I’d rather make sure we get the right coaches than rush it for a couple potential recruits, who may or may not pan out. We may get a couple more recruits we’re not already looking good, but to think that prospects are going to change much at this point in the game, based on a position coach, is kind of reaching.

Who the fuck is rushing things? The Tech game was like 6 weeks ago. It is imperative that guys get in and start contributing. That should have already happened. Here you are again, offering up some benefit of the doubt to The Hermanitard when none is merited. It's in the middle of recruiting season. Fucking lock the staff in. Fucking get to work with the staff. 

This isn't some scenario where someone is being really smart and selective. They have 5 openings remaining and almost a full staff overhaul. Let's fucking go.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm fine with the move as long as the coaching hires are exceptional. I would much rather have an elite staff that was pieced together thoughtfully than a few 2020 late risers. 

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Well TFB thinks we’re just going to hire Rutgers retreads, so it looks like we’re losing recruits by taking forever AND the hires will suck.

Btw, there’s no excuse for this shit to take this long. Ash has been the DC pick for forever and we should have, at minimum, a full defensive staff in place by now. The no offer for Rakestraw is absurd with our connections to Duncanville. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who the fuck is rushing things? The Tech game was like 6 weeks ago.

Oh, so we should have hired or vetted assistants prior to having coordinators, giving them little to no input. Fucking genius.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Here you are again, offering up some benefit of the doubt to The Hermanitard when none is merited.

My post said nothing about Herman and I would have responded the same regardless of who the coach was. You know, because I’m not that emotional about the guy.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's in the middle of recruiting season.

At least be somewhat rational... we are at the tail end, when a vast majority of known commodities are signed.

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

what moves has Tom Herman honestly made (or do you expect from either Yurcich or Ash) that lead you to believe we are going to have an elite coaching staff at this point?

• Like 1