Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

The fact that they are sticking with Okafor after the first two weeks is cause for concern in my view. I have serious doubts Christian Jones will ever be a serviceable player here, but he is at least relatively athletic and young with room to grow, so I suppose I could end up being wrong. Okafor is none of those things. In 6 years he has simply never been an average offensive lineman. There is no chance Hayden Connor or Tyler Johnson or Karic could be worse than Okafor, and at least they would be getting experience for the future. He seems like a good dude, but it's just not going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

Do we even have a single lineman that will ever sniff the NFL? Maybe Kerstteter? We have dog shit smeared across the line in all factions. People wanting Karic probably don't understand that he's not strong enough, either. Majors got pushed around like a gigantic pussy at spit roast orgy, that's exactly what will happen to Karic too. Jones/Karic, it doesn't make a shit other than Jones has more experience. 

28 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The fact that they are sticking with Okafor after the first two weeks is cause for concern in my view. I have serious doubts Christian Jones will ever be a serviceable player here, but he is at least relatively athletic and young with room to grow, so I suppose I could end up being wrong. Okafor is none of those things. In 6 years he has simply never been an average offensive lineman. There is no chance Hayden Connor or Tyler Johnson or Karic could be worse than Okafor, and at least they would be getting experience for the future. He seems like a good dude, but it's just not going to happen.

Jones has been signfificsntly worse than Okafor over the two games we’ve played. He needs to be replaced the most, and Karic is our best non-starter. 
Conner played in relief of Angilaua against ULL and looked extremely not ready to play. He might be better than Okafor by the end of the year, but he’s not right now. Who knows with Johnson. There were rumors he came in in terrible shape last year and generally hasn’t been working hard enough. I agree that it seems like we have to have someone on the roster better than Okafor, but I’m also not sure who that would be. The lack of development of you gets guys like Johnson, Hookfin, and Garth is disappointing to say the least. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jones has been signfificsntly worse than Okafor over the two games we’ve played. He needs to be replaced the most, and Karic is our best non-starter. 
Conner played in relief of Angilaua against ULL and looked extremely not ready to play. He might be better than Okafor by the end of the year, but he’s not right now. Who knows with Johnson. There were rumors he came in in terrible shape last year and generally hasn’t been working hard enough. I agree that it seems like we have to have someone on the roster better than Okafor, but I’m also not sure who that would be. The lack of development of you gets guys like Johnson, Hookfin, and Garth is disappointing to say the least. 

I'm guessing Conner making noise in fall camp, along with Imade being talked up, has everything to do with Flood wanting big OL to run IZ. 

Scipio Tex in EGOT Podcast:

O-Line on tape showed confusion.  They don't know who they are blocking -- don't know what they are seeing from the defense.

To Kyle Flood:  " You've got to coach the team (players) that you have -- not the team (players) that you don't have".  Find something that plays to the strengths of your personnel and run it.  "The beauty of outside zone is that the (defensive) front they're running doesn't matter."

Outside zone worked against K-State and Colorado last season -- time to simplify the blocking assignments for this terrible O-line group and "drill it over and over and over till they get comfortable with it".

Starts around 52:30 mark

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hogtied/id1479624200?i=1000535217128 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

PFF's college ratings suck. Also, Majors is really good at OZ. He's miscast trying to run solely power and IZ. 

Yeah, PFF’s college grading shouldn’t be given too much weight. There’s a ton of games and they put all their best people on NFL grading. They graded Okafor as a 70 against ULL, which is above average. He was not even close to average in that game. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but he’s been really bad the first two games. 

I hope we see a bit of a different lineup. 

is Jones struggling because Okafor? 

Jones is horrible irrespective of who’s at LG. Part of Majors’ struggles is the staff is asking him to do things hems not well-suited for while not running enough of the stuff he is. The other part is he just flat out sucked against Arkansas. He needs to play better than that moving forward, and I think he will. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The OL sucks but it’s obvious certain players can’t execute the plays properly.

Recruits can tell the difference between the dumb shit Herman was running versus what Sark is trying to do. 

I’m hoping this translates into getting more OL recruits who see that we have a plan, just not the players to carry out this plan. This means more immediate playing time if you can do the job right away.  

On 9/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, SuckitKevin said:

Bring Kasey Studdard in as an assistant to show these dipshits how to play with a mean streak.

It would definitely be great to have Studdard add some context and insights.  His mean streak was both learned and innate, though, as his father and uncle were some of the meanest bastards ever to play at Texas (the Talberts are definitely high on the list).  

This OL group seems confused or overwhelmed at times.  You want a competent and confident group playing with a mean streak, not a confused and overwhelmed group.  A meaner version of Jones or Majors does not solved the botched plays everyone is referring to.  It just makes Majors mess up the play faster or with more aplomb.  No thanks.  And, it seems mental more than physical/mean.

Another key issue with Studdard: he was all about accountability.  When he made a mistake he owned it; when others around him made mistakes, he made sure they understood the ramifications.  Example: At the 2005 fall game, Young made a bad pass and the DB dropped an easy INT.  Kasey walked 15 yards down the field yelling, "You need to make that play!  You need to make that play!"  Young was tapping his chest saying "my bad."  He knew it.  Kasey made sure the DB knew it, too.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jones is horrible irrespective of who’s at LG. Part of Majors’ struggles is the staff is asking him to do things hems not well-suited for while not running enough of the stuff he is. The other part is he just flat out sucked against Arkansas. He needs to play better than that moving forward, and I think he will. 

Agree.  Scipio Tex made a great case for simplifying and running outside zone to better match the current personnel on O-Line.

Not sure Kyle Flood will do this though since it's not his preferred style. 

Not playing Karic right now is just plain stupid -- need a lot more fight and toughness on this O-Line and Karic would help in both of those areas...  

Pass pro actually wasn't that terrible this weekend. 2 of 3 sacks were Card's fault for running around and into a defender when the pocket was still clean. Majors got bullied a few times but otherwise Card's happy feet made it look worse than it was.

Run blocking was obv another story

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From the replay, it did appear that we ran OZ concepts a lot of 1st down. Texas was highly successfully on those downs. 2nd down was abysmal, not too mention the 3 straight 3rd down penalties that turned 3rd and long into 3rd and longer.

Very negative play on offense in the 1st half, you had 9-10 players executing correctly, but the 1-2 that did not blew up the play. The same could be said on defense, where Arkansas appeared to isolate Schooler and destroyed him.

Was it Ian Boyd who had the chart of success of running plays broken down by type for the ULL game? IIRC that showed we were most successful at running outside zone. Apparently Sark and Flood plan to stick with the same personnel, at least for now, wonder if they will try using them any differently?  If not, how long are we going to keep beating our heads against this wall to get the “execution” right?

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

This OL group seems confused or overwhelmed at times.  You want a competent and confident group playing with a mean streak, not a confused and overwhelmed group.  A meaner version of Jones or Majors does not solved the botched plays everyone is referring to.  It just makes Majors mess up the play faster or with more aplomb.  No thanks.  And, it seems mental more than physical/mean.

This. Flood stated they run every type blocking scheme so the OL is responsible for having to know it all. Maybe too much to digest and master at this point, but once it starts clicking the OL and offense might really take off.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Also, for those saying we don't have enough talent. The linebackers in the picture for Arkansas are 2 star 6'1 225lb Hayden Henry#27, and 3 star 5'11 235lb Grant Morgan. There is nothing special about these guys. WE were the ones fucking up. It had shit to do with how good they were.

Morgan was an all-american last year. His high school rating from 6 years ago is pretty useless at this point lol.

He's starting over a guy like Andrew Parker who had offers from Texas and a lot of other big time schools...experience means a lot sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Morgan was an all-american last year. His high school rating from 6 years ago is pretty useless at this point lol.

He's starting over a guy like Andrew Parker who had offers from Texas and a lot of other big time schools...experience means a lot sometimes.

He is a 5'10.5, senior,  3 star linebacker starting over another 3 star linebacker.

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He is a 5'10.5, senior,  3 star linebacker starting over another 3 star linebacker.

...who was a runner up for the Burlsworth award last year as the best former walk-on in college football. It doesn't make any sense to refer to high school ratings over actual production at this point. Do you do that for JJ Watt too? lol

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah please show respect for walk ons:

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f878b4cb767c44383be39cbce34fac.jpegDylan Haines pictured here

Come on... Show some respect.. that's not a picture of Dylan because it's not lunging and missing a tackle!!!

Here's Dylan...

rbb-Texas-vs-Baylor-12.jpg

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2021 at 12:20 PM, bschoolprof said:

Can someone break down this running play for me?  It's looks like we literally blocked 1 guy, maybe 2.  Do we even practice?

78 was the only one missing the assignment of seal blocking 93 Hog.  So the pulling guard realized the incoming 93, stopped to protect Bijan, instead of leading Bijan, and Bijan ran into the guard.  78 is the point of failure. 

9 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

78 was the only one missing the assignment of seal blocking 93 Hog.  So the pulling guard realized the incoming 93, stopped to protect Bijan, instead of leading Bijan, and Bijan ran into the guard.  78 is the point of failure. 

You need to leave the analysis to those better equipped to do so. 65 was the linchpin that absolutely sabotaged the entire play.

Oh, honey, no.

We’ve already beat this horse well past death so I won’t say more than that.

I should apologize for an incomplete analogy. Majors first acted as a self-pulling linchpin, immediately transformed himself into an inserted monkey wrench in the works, and then in the aftermath of his completed sabotage, he can be seen as the proverbial lump on a log blindly looking for a defender to match hats with.

• Haha 1