Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

x-posting my thoughts from the back away from the ledge thread:

Need to make some personnel changes IMO. Okafor is a huge liability

Jones/Karic(LT) - Angilau(LG) - Majors/Kerstetter(C) - Conner(RG) - Kerstetter/Jones(RT)

Would be interested to see the guard shuffle first. If that works then we know how bad Okafor really was. 

If not, you have to shuffle more. Not sure what the best combination would be but Majors looked pretty bad vs Arkansas. Maybe go with what NFL scouts are seeing in Kerstetter as a center and go with the following:

Karic, Angilau, Kerstetter, Conner, Jones

Majors was really bad on Saturday.  I don't think he's ready.  Brewer was also bad, but it was blown assignments not physicality. He really needs to work on insert and split zone.  Okafor wasn't good either, but those other two stood out more.

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Majors was really bad on Saturday.  I don't think he's ready.  Brewer was also bad, but it was blown assignments not physicality. He really needs to work on insert and split zone.  Okafor wasn't good either, but those other two stood out more.

To me Okafor hasn’t looked good in either game so far. 

The OL has been a problem going all the way back to the 2009 season. Searles, Wickline, Mattox, Hand, Warehime, Flood the list goes on and on. Did Flood look competent because he coached the talent that he coached at Bama? He didn't do a very good job of coaching these players up with a proper offseason to work with, if anything they look worse in 2021 under Flood than they did in 2020 under Hand towards the end of the season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

x-posting my thoughts from the back away from the ledge thread:

Need to make some personnel changes IMO. Okafor is a huge liability

Jones/Karic(LT) - Angilau(LG) - Majors/Kerstetter(C) - Conner(RG) - Kerstetter/Jones(RT)

Would be interested to see the guard shuffle first. If that works then we know how bad Okafor really was. 

If not, you have to shuffle more. Not sure what the best combination would be but Majors looked pretty bad vs Arkansas. Maybe go with what NFL scouts are seeing in Kerstetter as a center and go with the following:

Does Majors just need to bulk up and get stronger??  He has good effort...

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I can’t see the individual grades, but it appears Baylor has the highest grade for the 2nd week in a row and tied the highest PFF grade of all time. What the fuck. 

Their first two opponents are bad so I assume it’s easy to look good vs them and not blow assignments. 

EFD07147-C896-41C3-84CE-70587CC9F661.png

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kertstetter wasn't very good at center the last season he played it, which was odd to me. He did well when he was backing up Shack out on injuries so thought he'd only be better when Shack was gone. But when he took it over full time he did poorly is my recollection.

17 hours ago, Nivek said:

Okafor blocked Majors.   Does that count?

I'm wondering if Majors didn't blow this play himself. The design of the blocking is so weird (obviously bc they fucked it up for one), but it would be so much easier and make more sense if Majors just stepped to the right to get the DT that blew Angilau up, Okafor goes to the backside LB, and Angilau is free to go one-on-one with the play-side LB. All that is set up if Majors just steps right instead of left. Jones crushed down on his DE, so this is the blocking design that makes most sense to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm wondering if Majors didn't blow this play himself. The design of the blocking is so weird (obviously bc they fucked it up for one), but it would be so much easier and make more sense if Majors just stepped to the right to get the DT that blew Angilau up, Okafor goes to the backside LB, and Angilau is free to go one-on-one with the play-side LB. All that is set up if Majors just steps right instead of left. Jones crushed down on his DE, so this is the blocking design that makes most sense to me. 

It's really hard to ascertain which OL blew their assignment. Okafor immediately ran into Majors after the snap. Angilau clearly was the only one on the 3 interior guys that got his assignment right. He was pulling to go block the play side safety.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.f3a710ac6df3eb6a8f25bb16bef34855.png

Running lane should have been there. for a sizeable gain. Majors chips the NT then gets to second level to the backer and Angilau picks up 31 on his pull with running lane to the outside of where Jones is.

To Burdine's point, Majors steps left and just runs into Okafor and touches no one instead of what you said. Meanwhile the NT goes unblocked and blows it up. Sure seems like Majors was supposed to step right and chip the NT but he just forgot what to do.

Majors actually prevents Okafor from getting to where he's going by running into him. Jones totally collapses the DE but because of Majors who blocks no one, Okafor and Ang can't do their job either.

Edited by Tex-19

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.f3a710ac6df3eb6a8f25bb16bef34855.png

Running lane should have been there. for a sizeable gain. Majors chips the NT then gets to second level to the backer and Angilau picks up 31 on his pull with running lane to the outside of where Jones is.

It's this. Majors had a brain fart and destroyed the play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

To Burdine's point, Majors steps left and just runs into Okafor instead of what you said. Meanwhile the NT goes unblocked and blows it up. Sure seems like Majors was supposed to step right and chip the NT but he just forgot what to do.

Majors definitely fucked up and it knocked Jones/Okafor off their assignments....then to add insult to injury he literally is seen on film just standing looking around:

image.png.b9673e9c1f4b21685da1332de629ecf4.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Majors definitely fucked up and it knocked Jones/Okafor off their assignments....then to add insult to injury he literally is seen on film just standing looking around:

image.png.b9673e9c1f4b21685da1332de629ecf4.png

Seems like Jones did his job collapsing the edge. Maybe he could've also moved to the 2nd level, idk. But yeah, Majors didn't touch anyone PLUS prevented Okafor and Angilau from doing their jobs (ran into Okafor and Ang had to stop pulling and deal with the NT blowing up the play).

Dissecting these F'ups illustrates why head coaches usually say in press conferences they need to look at film for a lot of questions after the game. Too many moving parts happening too fast and all at once to definitively state what went wrong. And boy do they have a lot of film watching to do for this game.

40 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'd be curious to see how each OL graded out for the game. It's cool that we have almost 2 pages of comments on one busted running play, what about the rest of the game?

Someone posted PFF grades further up in the thread. Majors was the worst this week.

20 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Bring Kasey Studdard in as an assistant to show these dipshits how to play with a mean streak. I’m not even kidding. There should be zero tolerance for playing like a pussy.

or we can just put shock collars on their dicks and shock the fuck out of them until they get it right, just a thought

8 hours ago, Chad said:

The OL has been a problem going all the way back to the 2009 season. Searles, Wickline, Mattox, Hand, Warehime, Flood the list goes on and on. Did Flood look competent because he coached the talent that he coached at Bama? He didn't do a very good job of coaching these players up with a proper offseason to work with, if anything they look worse in 2021 under Flood than they did in 2020 under Hand towards the end of the season.

The run seemed to have improved exponentially under Mattox. Since I don't know all the stats I will not say much more but he is a guy that in the past I wished we had back.

I’m ambivalent on the qb change, but if you’re replacing that position and not any of the obvious worse offenders from that shit show of a game you’re doing it wrong. Also, Sark basically said at the presser if he yells guys don’t listen and get the point of the teaching.  Okay, but after you teach and before the game someone needs to crawl up their ass and make them breathe fire, no more orange slices until you learn how to play like a BAMF.

6 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’m ambivalent on the qb change, but if you’re replacing that position and not any of the obvious worse offenders from that shit show of a game you’re doing it wrong. Also, Sark basically said at the presser if he yells guys don’t listen and get the point of the teaching.  Okay, but after you teach and before the game someone needs to crawl up their ass and make them breathe fire, no more orange slices until you learn how to play like a BAMF.

We just don't have those guys. We probably need to get some.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Karic needs to play a lot more... 

Have read comments about Karic being a "nasty player".  Even heard Coburn saying Karic really gets after yah in practice playing past the echo of the whistle...

TEXAS O-Line needs...

"A little bit more dose of Nasty... I WANT SOME NASTY!!!"

Edited by LTtxfan

Majors was always a guy that needed multiple years of S&C. He’s got his strengths and is fine if there’s decent guard play. Him and Okafor next to each other is a real problem.

Majors absolutely blew his assignment. He was definitely supposed to block down on the nose. Okafor may or may not have blown his assignment as well.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Majors absolutely blew his assignment. He was definitely supposed to block down on the nose. Okafor may or may not have blown his assignment as well.

It is possible to have a pull and a trap on the same play for the OL?

If Majors and Okafor were the double team the DT, which one would have been more likely to release to next level? Majors can move better than Okafor, so maybe him.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If Majors and Okafor were the double team the DT, which one would have been more likely to release to next level? Majors can move better than Okafor, so maybe him.

The thing with blocking a counter is it depends on the front, how many guys you are pulling, and where you are trying to hit it, whether up inside or out on the edge. This particular play we are pulling a single guard. Based on alignment Majors is supposed to block down on whomever is covering him up. Jones and Okafor are supposed to double team the playside DE, and then Okafor works to the second level. Kerstetter and Brewer are doubling the backside DE. If Card carries out his fake he can freeze the backside edge rusher which he does not do. That leaves Junior as a lead blocker vs the LB. The play was a solid call vs the look, and had we done our jobs Bijan could've broken it for big yards. The line was basically doing the same thing Card was, fucking up under the pressure. Majors in particular was forgetting assignments left and right. Arkansas was moving around pre snap and showing different looks all game. Looks like it was confusing the kid on what he was supposed to do vs what look. I am sure he had a tough day in the film room. If they caught Arkansas down the line after gelling they would run on them at will.

Also, for those saying we don't have enough talent. The linebackers in the picture for Arkansas are 2 star 6'1 225lb Hayden Henry#27, and 3 star 5'11 235lb Grant Morgan. There is nothing special about these guys. WE were the ones fucking up. It had shit to do with how good they were.

1005152723_Screenshot(157).thumb.png.0dc726e0e52fcc8f0bb6133b66260a6b.png

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The thing with blocking a counter is it depends on the front, how many guys you are pulling, and where you are trying to hit it, whether up inside or out on the edge. This particular play we are pulling a single guard. Based on alignment Majors is supposed to block down on whomever is covering him up. Jones and Okafor are supposed to double team the playside DE, and then Okafor works to the second level. Kerstetter and Brewer are doubling the backside DE. If Card carries out his fake he can freeze the backside edge rusher which he does not do. That leaves Junior as a lead blocker vs the LB. The play was a solid call vs the look, and had we done our jobs Bijan could've broken it for big yards. The line was basically doing the same thing Card was, fucking up under the pressure. Majors in particular was forgetting assignments left and right. Arkansas was moving around pre snap and showing different looks all game. Looks like it was confusing the kid on what he was supposed to do vs what look. I am sure he had a tough day in the film room. If they caught Arkansas down the line after gelling they would run on them at will.

Also, for those saying we don't have enough talent. The linebackers in the picture for Arkansas are 2 star 6'1 225lb Hayden Henry#27, and 3 star 5'11 235lb Grant Morgan. There is nothing special about these guys. WE were the ones fucking up. It had shit to do with how good they were.

1005152723_Screenshot(157).thumb.png.0dc726e0e52fcc8f0bb6133b66260a6b.png

Watching the replay on the SkyCast, you could see the miscommunication between Majors and Okafor, but it also showed just how awful the game plan was. Arkansas's LBs gave two shits about anything but the run game, and were shooting gaps recklessly trying to make TFLs. Sarkisian never countered with any type of RPO to take advantage of their over aggressiveness.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think it’s possible Okafor was also supposed to pull, as counter plays sometimes utilize two lead blockers. If he wasn’t, he was fine, he would’ve been headed for the second level unless the nose stunted into the playside A gap, at which point he should be handed off to Okafor and Majors goes up field. The primary issue is definitely Majors. Atrocious fuck up but don’t want to beat the dead horse too much either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it’s possible Okafor was also supposed to pull, as counter plays sometimes utilize two lead blockers. If he wasn’t, he was fine, he would’ve been headed for the second level unless the nose stunted into the playside A gap, at which point he should be handed off to Okafor and Majors goes up field. The primary issue is definitely Majors. Atrocious fuck up but don’t want to beat the dead horse too much either.

Typically on those plays its either the backside guard alone, a backside guard and tackle, or backside guard and TE. They usually use the playside bodies to wall it off. You are right about Majors and Okafor. How the DT lines up or what he does determines what Majors and Okafor do.

39 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I will say that watching the replay, Okafor is late setting up after the gain on 1st down. Majors is trying to identify the MIKE (he points out the MIKE twice), but the Arkansas defense shifts. Likely Majors got confused by the shift and fucked up the play.