Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Is Zach Bryan considered bro country or good country to you people and others? I couldn't get into the whole thing and Irish Goodbye'd out of the suite before the second song was finished. If the opening acts are any indiction of the main event, woof.

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Is Zach Bryan considered bro country or good country to you people and others? I couldn't get into the whole thing and Irish Goodbye'd out of the suite before the second song was finished. If the opening acts are any indiction of the main event, woof.

More folk or Americana than even country. He's a great listen when mood is right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:07 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, he strikes me as inauthentic.  Like Midland.

Regardless, I'm glad he resonates with a lot of people.  

Inauthentic / authentic?  This is a curious comment to me.  What makes a singer and or group either?

Does a C&W singer or group actually have to be from the C and / or the W?

I'm not trying to offend, I just don't like his music or his act, it feels very contrived.  I could be completely off base (well, except for the part where I don't like his music, I'm comfortable saying that).

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not trying to offend, I just don't like his music or his act, it feels very contrived.  I could be completely off base (well, except for the part where I don't like his music, I'm comfortable saying that).

I don't think your comment is offensive.  The "inauthentic" part drew my curiosity.  I'm OK with Crockett.  He's decent enough but not on my  A list.

On 5/20/2024 at 12:13 AM, BeardIP said:

Definitely not bro country....and if you left his concert you missed a helluva show, but people are going to like what they want to like 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s some bullshit putting Morgane in line of sight… I’m sure the whole time she was staring a hole in his head…”you’re looking in her direction but your keeping eye contact with me this entire song”

Edited by UTexasFight

11 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Stumbled upon the Michigan Rattlers recently.   Remind me of Sons of Bill and may where I thought Son Volt was headed after their first album.  

Good tune.  

Bit of a Petty/Counting Crows sound.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jake Adler said:

Discussion on Reddit says Jason is cowriter and plays on a new Bon Jovi song?

Yikes.  I saw JBJ interviewed last night on Colbert -- dude is weird to say the least.  I know he does a lot of stuff for charity etc. especially in the NJ/Philly area, but he seemed really uncomfortable in his skin.

I guess money is money.  Knock yourself out, Jason.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yikes.  I saw JBJ interviewed last night on Colbert -- dude is weird to say the least.  I know he does a lot of stuff for charity etc. especially in the NJ/Philly area, but he seemed really uncomfortable in his skin.

Jason did "Dead or Alive" at that Musicares show, so I was wondering if they were buddies. 

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just thinking about Bon Jovi; there's a lot to like about him.  Humble beginnings, VERY charitable (as you mentioned), good family man...married to the same woman forever (meanwhile his buddy Sambora was fucking his way through US Magazine), and his son just married Millie Bobby Brown.  He's seems pretty loyal; same core guys in the band forever...Richie left on his own accord.  

He's had some bangers. Overall, I like him better than I like most guys. 

• Like 1

Bon Jovi’s new album, Forever, has officially arrived, and with it the group’s collaboration with Jason Isbell, “Waves.” 

The track is vintage Bon Jovi, with guitar riffs and hooks that soar to the rock & roll heavens. Isbell helped write the song, along with the band’s John Shanks, and provides backing vocals, joining Jon Bon Jovi to sing, “Waves/They take me down no one here gonna save me now/Waves/They knock me off my feet/Waves/Now I understand I see her face I see her hand/And she waves then fades away from me.”

In a track-by-track commentary video about the song, Bon Jovi said “Waves” was about “holding onto something maybe too long.” He added, “A wave will come and push you in and pull you back out. You have to learn to let go. Hold onto the memories for as long as you can, but then move on. The past is there to remind you of what you don’t want to do again — let it go.”

Isbell is an avowed Bon Jovi fan, and along with contributing to Forever, showed his support for the Jersey great at the 2024 MusiCares Person of the Year gala. Donning a wide-brimmed cowboy hat, a long duster coat, and a double-neck guitar, he paid tribute with a scorching performance of the Bon Jovi classic “Wanted Dead or Alive.” 

Forever marks Bon Jovi’s 16th studio album and first since 2020’s 2020. The LP’s arrival coincides with the band’s 40th anniversary, which was marked with a new four-part docuseries, Thank You, Goodnight, which premiered on Hulu in April. 

You can definitely hear the Isbell influence, the twangier single coil tones.  It's still silly lyrics, not as bad as some of his big hits, but still a long way from Springsteen.  He's just a shallow songwriter.

Searched Silverada and ran across this thread of mostly a few Surlys saying they loved the Moonpies and weren't sure about his new band name and what might come out of it.

I've been to 5 of their shows recently and they are putting on great shows, playing the hits and really rocking out to the new songs.

Saw them this past weekend at Radio East in Austin, which included Rattlesnake Milk (bluesy alt-country) and The Weary Boys (hillbilly rock/grass?)

one of the new upbeat songs

One of his best new ones is Stay By My Side

go see them, they're worth it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pablo said:

Searched Silverada and ran across this thread of mostly a few Surlys saying they loved the Moonpies and weren't sure about his new band name and what might come out of it.

I've been to 5 of their shows recently and they are putting on great shows, playing the hits and really rocking out to the new songs.

Saw them this past weekend at Radio East in Austin, which included Rattlesnake Milk (bluesy alt-country) and The Weary Boys (hillbilly rock/grass?)

one of the new upbeat songs

lol at giving cornbread cowboy a starring role 

• Haha 2

Just heard this guy Scott Ballew on Sun Radio tonight doing their live broadcast from Guero's Taco Bar.  Not much a singer, but a decent songwriter, definite Texas roots.

Some of you have to know him -- he played for Westlake and then UDub a couple of years, transferred to UT and eventually walked on at running back for the 2005 national championship season.  Good timing, dude.

Hope this link doesn't die once the show is over, if it does, just search the Sun Radio site.  Scroll back on the calendar controls:

Scott Ballew

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Silverada (don't care for their name change, but not because of "woke", just used to something else) and I'm not completely digging the new dance pop sound of Wallflower or Radio Wave.

Anywhere But Here and Stay By My Side (totally Willie-esque) are among some of their best tunes.  Pretty interested to see which way the new album leans.  I really dug the cosmic honky tonk shit on Cheap Silver, and thought One To Grow On was/is one of the best country albums of the past decade.  Stands up next to Isbell, Turnpike, Sturgill, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2