Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

3 hours ago, gernblansten said:

Yeah, that's been clear for a long time.

"I wrote 'Fault Lines' because I was trying to find a door or an opening into a disconnect that I was having in my marriage," Shires says. "And I thought, 'Well, we always communicate well with songs. ... Maybe this will get the door open to getting stuff solved.' So, I wrote the song and I recorded a little demo and I sent it to my husband. He did not listen to it."

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/1114881570/on-take-it-like-a-man-amanda-shires-takes-aim-for-the-heavens

This flows with my theory  of " behind every attractive woman is a man sick of her shit"

• Hook 'Em 2

Need help finding an Americana/folk song that came out last yr, gal with a good voice singing about loving Texas but heart belongs in Colorado and wanting to be buried there under a tree. It got some solid airplay on Americana stations.  

yes, I'm aware - I know every lyric of that song. my comment about how dudes are stupid is that it was a Jason Isbell lyric posted as a comment on an Amanda Shires' video of a song about or relating to her emotional state in the wake of the announcement of her divorce from Jason Isbell. Not that I think she's probably reading every random comment on her video. But if she was, Isbell lyrics probably aren't the thing.

Honestly I feel for her a bit - I'm sure it was a struggle in their marriage anyways but there's probably a lot of fear of how she will be seen/understood/talked about as an artist post divorce from Isbell. Has she damned herself to being primarily the ex-wife of a more talented musician and songwriter?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He's a fat nerd that lost weight, got famous, but still has that fat boy insecurity snark.  Also, a great guitar player, capable lyricist, but underneath it all, probably amazingly insecure.

His need to fight every mouth breather in his Twitter feed is evidence.
  • Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, baboso said:

He's a fat nerd that lost weight, got famous, but still has that fat boy insecurity snark.  Also, a great guitar player, capable lyricist, but underneath it all, probably amazingly insecure.

A great guitar player, but only a “capable”lyricist? That’s like saying Earl Campbell was a great teammate and a capable running back. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

A great guitar player, but only a “capable”lyricist? That’s like saying Earl Campbell was a great teammate and a capable running back. 

No shit.  Way to miss the entire greatness of Jason Isbell.  If anything, his songwriting is saved by his lyrics, because otherwise it's just a little bit above pedestrian.  Not bad, catchy at times, but hardly "take your breath away" melody and harmony.

• Hook 'Em 1

No shit.  Way to miss the entire greatness of Jason Isbell.  If anything, his songwriting is saved by his lyrics, because otherwise it's just a little bit above pedestrian.  Not bad, catchy at times, but hardly "take your breath away" melody and harmony.

Except for King Of Oklahoma.

My God is that a fucking SONG
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2024 at 11:56 PM, bluto said:

Need help finding an Americana/folk song that came out last yr, gal with a good voice singing about loving Texas but heart belongs in Colorado and wanting to be buried there under a tree. It got some solid airplay on Americana stations.  

Damn, they played that all last summer on the Ranch.  She was a new artist I had never heard of.   Still looking.

Yahtzee

When we were young, before we were close

It was all Jameson and smokes

I’d stay out until three or four

Then stumble home and build my new armoire

But now that I’m back alone and you’re not here

I just want to look in the mirror and admire my new veneers

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

It's not the long, flowing dress that you're in
Or the light coming off of your skin