OU Football 2019 - Pummeling the Shit Out of Women, Common Decency & Defensive Fundamentals

closetojumping

"Should OU lose Hurts in a tragic scenario where one of his teammates drunkenly beats him into a coma, cuts his neck open with a screwdriver, or breaks his jaw thinking he's a woman, and he goes down for a month or more, Tanner Mordecai is the replacement and he’s as prepared as okie high school students are for future life success."

Excellent sentence and thread title. Kudos.

Edited by hobbs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is unimportant in the grand scheme of things but they have to replace their first-team All-Big 12 kicker too.

All that said I'm expecting them to win 10 or 11 in the regular season. I think Texas will play them twice and we'll beat them at least once, hopefully we get them in the game where conference hardware is on the line if we split.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Now come on, CTJ, Alex Grinch is an acclaimed defensive guru! You know the OU defense is going to wake up and play like it’s 2001 this season!”

Defensively, Grinch thinks they have a bunch of pussies and dead weight on the roster. His own players don't like him. He's unproven as a DC. Yeah, he had a decent year at Wazzou during a down cycle for the Pac 12. He's pretty much living off of that.  

Grinch's 2017 year at WSU is way overplayed.  The pass defense was pretty average against bad Pac-12 competition (1-8 bowl record). What made the look good was 2 games against truly terrible teams: FCS Montana State and MWC cellar dweller Nevada.

They're hurt on defense by the fact that their practices are geared towards offense and the focus on technique is traded off for repetition of assignment. Doesn't work that way for defenses against game day offenses. This phenomenon hurt(s) Oregon, Wazzou, Tech, Baylor, etc. OU under Riley is no different.

High reps with no time to correct mistakes on defense just gives you lots of practice doing things wrong.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It is my belief that OU will ... take a step back (what else were you expecting me to type?) in 2019. We're so used to seeing them defy losses and hold alpha position in the league that that may sound absurd, but it's not as farfetched as it sounds.

”But closetojumping, their offense has transmogrified into a fuckdragon unleashed from the depths of hell?!!? I’m so scared, hold me, bro!”

OU lost 4 stand-out OL starters from last year’s team. Replacing the 4 OL stars is not something that can just be poo-poo'd away. They have a stud OL coach, so it won't be the end of the world, and Humphrey is, while overrated, still excellent at a key spot in C. So I don't think the OL will suck, but it won't be anything close to elite. Several of the projected starters are guys that Texas and numerous other programs actually passed on. They no longer have Vomit Schmidt gearing them up for play. No sir, enter a one Benny The Body Wiley and his irrelevant training tactics for OL.We'll see those effects in full regalia in Year 3 of his reign.

At QB, Hurts does not enable the utilization of the full offensive playbook. He’s not going to be the savior of their program that Kyler Murray turned out to be. They were frustrated by Hurts’ limitations in the spring. He's not an above average passer. He's good on his feet, but he's not elite. They can weave him into the running game, but there's significant risk in doing so, and they have a stable of good backs. His running utility will be limited to mostly off-schedule runs behind a disorganized OL. Should OU lose Hurts in a tragic scenario where one of his teammates drunkenly beats him into a coma, cuts his neck open with a screwdriver, or breaks his jaw thinking he's a woman, and he goes down for a month or more, Tanner Mordecai is the replacement and he’s as prepared as okie high school students are for future life success. Spencer Rattler could ultimately be the man, but he’d have to lay off fucking janitors in his high school bathroom first, and put down the weed second.

They have elite WRs and Calcaterra is terrific, but no one can plausibly argue that losing Hollywood Brown won't slow them down at least some. Charleston Rambo is basically serviceable. I’m interested to see how quickly Wease, Bridges or Haselwood can make an impact. This is an elite team strength even with the loss of Brown.

At TB, Brooks, Sermon and Pledger are all good to great, but they’re not elite, gamechanging players. They won’t have the Mack Truck-sized holes to run through this season, either. TB is a team strength, but it’s not a differentiator that they can rely on to take over games.

Riley is an offensive wizard, so I agree, they won't fall too far. I see them in the #15-20 range if Hurts is terrific and #30 if he sucks. 

“Now come on, CTJ, Alex Grinch is an acclaimed defensive guru! You know the OU defense is going to wake up and play like it’s 2001 this season!”

Defensively, Grinch thinks they have a bunch of pussies and dead weight on the roster. His own players don't like him. He's unproven as a DC. Yeah, he had a decent year at Wazzou during a down cycle for the Pac 12. He's pretty much living off of that. 

They're hurt on defense by the fact that their practices are geared towards offense and the focus on technique is traded off for repetition of assignment. Doesn't work that way for defenses against game day offenses. This phenomenon hurt(s) Oregon, Wazzou, Tech, Baylor, etc. OU under Riley is no different. 

The DL is meh. Perkins can straight up play, if he's healthy. Gallimore is an overrated pile of shit. He has to be carried or carted off the field at least once per game, sometimes 2-3 times, only to return later to play the hero role. I cannot remember him actually making a single play. But hey, he's big and experienced, and he plays for the vaunted OU brand, so let's line that pussy up as a preseason All Big 12 guy on the DL. Right. The other starter is a dude named Mann. He’s literally JAM.

At LB, Murray is fine on the LB side. I know he had like 50 tackles against Army. They count tackles even when the TB stumbles down as he runs over you. Outside of that game, Murray was good but nothing special. He's all they have worth thinking about until Deshaun White shows that he can make a play.

The secondary is lukewarm scrotum sweat. If Grinch could take the Texas back-up secondary and trade it right now with the starting personnel in OU's secondary, he'd do it faster than Bookie Radley-Hiles could shit himself in panic having to cover Collin Johnson again. Fuck, Grinch is telling recruits that kind of stupid shit as we debate things here. There is not a single player on OU’s roster in the secondary that would make the two deep at Texas.

As a Sooner fan, I have to agree concerning our defense.  I think you were too generous with LB Murray...he's not fine. 

Watch the Big XII title game again and just focus on him.  It's embarrassing...I don't know how you fix that.  It's really hard to watch.

I don't think our secondary is as bad as lukewarm scrotum sweat.  Don't get me wrong; they're bad, but our front 7 didn't do them any favors.  I think Tre' Brown would be a decent player on a real defense.  He sure enjoyed the Big XII title game.

I thought OU's offense would take a big step back last year...If you would have told me that the Sooners lose QB Mayfield, TE Mark Andrews, and RB Rodney Anderson and still average the most yards per play (10.4) in the history of CFB, I wouldn't have believed you.  So, I will defer to Riley's prowess even though I really think they HAVE to come down a little this year due to the O-line.  

As far as predictions, I don't think anyone gets through the schedule unscathed...my best bet is a 3 way tie with OU, TX and ISU having 2 losses each.  Something like that,...should be fun.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It is my belief that OU will ... take a step back.  OU has a backloaded schedule: UH, South Dakota, @UCLA, Tech, @KU, UT, WVU, @KSU, ISU, @Baylor, TCU, @Okie State.   They don’t play back to back road games, (not since 2013) which is unbridled favoritism by the bureaucrats in the Big 12 home office..   My bet is that OU goes 9-3 with losses to Texas and then 2 of the final 4 games.  Thoughts?

Great Stuff... worth reading a couple of times.

Would love to see blOU lose 3 or more regular games in 2019, but expect that their backloaded schedule with no back-to-back B12 road games saves their butts enough to end up 10-2 for the regular season.  

Since Texas plays blOU Game 6 (right after blOU butt stomps Kansas), I do expect that blOU will be rested, and their new defense will be better than the trash they put on the field in October 2018.

• Like 1

That offense will run extremely hot and cold, mostly cold, with Hurts at QB. The vast majority of their scoring will come off of junk ball where broken plays lead to large QB rushes and busted coverages. Jalen Hurts is not a shadow of a fart of Murray as a passer though he is a formidable runner in his own fashion. 

I fully expect to see him replaced at some point in the season. Perhaps after Texas boat races them in the Cotton bowl. 

This is not the league you want to have to start a tepid, inaccurate QB who struggles to make quick reads post snap. Riley will earn his paycheck as an OC this year. 

I don’t care what he did at Alabama. They’re a CFP team even with Case McCoy taking snaps. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

25 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Since you seem to have connections and inside sources I'm wondering if this represents just your opinion or does it also represent an embellished view what the staff thinks we'll see from OU?

I don't think anybody takes OU for granted or views them lightly. I do think there's a lot of optimism about this season across the board. Without Mack Brown around to self-talk and handwring, there's no mystique to OU. They're a hated rival and good team. The best feeling any player, coach, or fan can know is possible for a fact heading into every season is "it will feel better than sex beating OU". That is the shit Herman lives for and why his teams play up as both an underdog and in big game settings. 

The stuff I wrote about Grinch and how OU feels about Hurts and the QB room coming out of the spring comes from the OU side or from folks involved with covering CFB nationally. Not UT people.

• Like 1

I don't know if they'll be much worse than last year.  Riley kind of has the benefit of the doubt.  The good news is that we don't need then to be much worse because we beat them last year and I think this year's team will be better.

No one else in the conference really impressed me so I fully expect to play them twice.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think anybody takes OU for granted or views them lightly. I do think there's a lot of optimism about this season across the board. Without Mack Brown around to self-talk and handwring, there's no mystique to OU. They're a hated rival and good team. The best feeling any player, coach, or fan can know is possible for a fact heading into every season is "it will feel better than sex beating OU". That is the shit Herman lives for and why his teams play up as both an underdog and in big game settings. 

The stuff I wrote about Grinch and how OU feels about Hurts and the QB room coming out of the spring comes from the OU side or from folks involved with covering CFB nationally. Not UT people.

Is this Grinch guy really that good? Heard he took Wazzu defense from like 98 to 16. Also how  does his scheme match up against Herman’s offense?

5 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Thoughts?  OU sucks.  They got two huge breaks with Mayfield and Murray.  OU still sucks.  Maybe Hurts without his Alabama OL and with his Bennie Wylie body builder OL will look like a poor man's Rhett Bomar (the SHSU version).      

Their offense will likely look a lot like our late 03 to early 04 offense. 

Their defense will continue to resemble microwaved dog shit. I figured 9-4 on the season. 

2 hours ago, hobbs said:

"Should OU lose Hurts in a tragic scenario where one of his teammates drunkenly beats him into a coma, cuts his neck open with a screwdriver, or breaks his jaw thinking he's a woman, and he goes down for a month or more, Tanner Mordecai is the replacement and he’s as prepared as okie high school students are for future life success."

Excellent sentence and thread title. Kudos.

spacer.png

Every year we hear about this step back they are going to take. And seemingly every damn year, they are there at the very end and winning the Big 12, playoffs/BCS or both. They know how to retool and never really stay down. They can still easily win this conference. They have fell into yet another top tier QB. Lincoln will be able to have success easily with Hurts.

• Like 4

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

Their defense will continue to resemble microwaved dog shit. I figured 9-4 on the season. 

I have not looked it up, but does Dana H have enough horses on offense to score a ton of points on that putrid OU D?  Courtney Lark, D'Eric King, Mulbah Car and Patrick Carr are some good players plus they have a fairly veteran OL.  Maybe Holgo will hang 40 on them.   

The Oklahoma program has been far superior to ours since I arrived at UT 23 years ago.  No reason to see it changing this year.  They have more wins against us, more conference championships, more BCS/playoff appearances, more heisman trophy winners, etc.  I'm fucking tired of it but they are by far and away a better program than we are in the last quarter century.  Nothing in the foreseeable future is gonna change that.  Sorry, but every once in a while we need to speak in facts on this side of the message board.  

20 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You mean the offense with Vince, Cedric, Thomas, Sweed and a stud line, that managed a goose egg in fair park.

In other words, Greg Davis has secretly returned to Norman.

Thank you for the scoop.

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The Oklahoma program has been far superior to ours since I arrived at UT 23 years ago.  No reason to see it changing this year.  They have more wins against us, more conference championships, more BCS/playoff appearances, more heisman trophy winners, etc.  I'm fucking tired of it but they are by far and away a better program than we are in the last quarter century.  Nothing in the foreseeable future is gonna change that.  Sorry, but every once in a while we need to speak in facts on this side of the message board.  

Unfuck yourself.jpg

• Like 1

The quicker we  acknowledge that were the second best program in the conference on a good day ,  The better off will be in the faster we can get back to national prominence      

Just now, Lobo said:

The quicker we  acknowledge that were the second best program in the conference on a good day ,  The better off will be in the faster we can get back to national prominence      

OU fucking sucks and that’s really all that matters here. I’m not sure where you’re going with this. 

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Actually, our smoking crater in the teens may seem bad, but they have done nothing with their 20-year run of relevance.   They shit themselves in big bowls.  "NY6" bowl results since 2000.  Thieves are 5-7 with a natty, a BCS Final loss and 3 playoff semi losses.   We are 5-1 with a natty and a BCS Final loss.  They get there twice as often, we haven't made the playoff yet, and Mack suicided 4 times at Fair Park.  And this includes the worst 6-year stretch in our program's history.

And yet, outside of the bdf titles, we have the same number of 'NY6' wins and National Titles.

It won't take much to right the ship.

0u:

w 00 orange natty

w 01 cotton

w 02 rosea

L 03 sugar

L 04 orange

L 08 bcs final

w 10 fiesta

L 12 cotton

L 15 orange playoff semi

w 16 sugar

L 17 rose playoff semi

L 18 orange playoff semi

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You must have me mistaken me for some sort of UT homer that cannot see anything through his burnt orange glasses. That's not me. Although I cannot be destroyed and I am in hydraulics.

No shit OU has produced better results over the past 19 years. Fuck you on calling it 23. I bet you're a fucking blast at parties, as well. If you're looking for dead serious write-ups without any tinge of hope or fandom, you should put me on ignore and move on. Ian Boyd and Wescott Eberts might be more of your speed. I don't start threads to seem like some sort of Phil Steele/Pete Axthelm type. I'm here to be entertained. Your post is dry and sobering, and nobody got time for that, fuck.

• Like 2

Keondre Coburn and Gerald Wilbon will push Creed Humphrey's shit in.  The rest of the OL are very raw.  Beedenbaugh may be a fucking wizard , but not with Bennie Wylie's players.  The next four years will be some fun times to be Longhorn fans.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

4 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Every time I hear Lincoln Riley talk he sounds like a scared little girl.  I find it hard to believe he played football, because it seems like he's a pussy.  He hides behind his team and talks big shit.  Fuck that guy and fuck ou

Poetry.  OU sucks.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That’s no fun.  Been true but with TH I’d be optimistic.  The fucker can own big games.  He fixes the hiccups in the smaller games and UT is right back looking at title opportunities.   

10 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Every time I hear Lincoln Riley talk he sounds like a scared little girl.  I find it hard to believe he played football, because it seems like he's a pussy.  He hides behind his team and talks big shit.  Fuck that guy and fuck ou

He reminds me of a Scott Frost hiding in the closet while some dude beats his girl.  A real pussy.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Riley was a walk-on at Tech and has played as many snaps at D1 football as I have.  Leach has as many snaps as I do as well.  He was a lacrosse player.  Kingsbury shits the bed next year and all is right with the football world.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

Maybe this is unimportant in the grand scheme of things but they have to replace their first-team All-Big 12 kicker too.
All that said I'm expecting them to win 10 or 11 in the regular season. I think Texas will play them twice and we'll beat them at least once, hopefully we get them in the game where conference hardware is on the line if we split.
This. 9-3 is the absolute floor.