Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

On 11/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

The fact is you come to Surly with absolute takes until you get called on the carpet with whatever crap you threw against the wall.  Then, you walk back whatever it was with  “to be fair” and “to be clear” as you hedge whatever bullshit narrative you created.  Now, @Rickylovesweed is giving you the chance to put your money where your mouth is and you’re ducking him.  Just go the fuck away.

I will never bet on anything with anyone from this site. It's absolutely moronic to think they're going to keep losing 3-4 games every year based upon how well they're recruiting at every position but WR (for now). Programs live and die by coaches and how they recruit/evaluate. Jimbo does both well, and if you can't explain why he's lost three or more games in six of the last seven years and the contrasting future that will be different because of recruiting, then there is no point in arguing with anyone. They've committed to creating a winning program, and you'd see that if you weren't so biased. Any program that properly commits to long-term improvement will reap rewards. My favorite program, Rutgers, seems to be on the same path thus far (obviously with a lower ceiling).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, Tex-19 said:

I'm not writing them off. With this bag game they've committed to, they could be top 5 in talent in 2-3 years. The talent and the defense will put them in some playoff hunts (well I guess the playoffs are changing but you know what I mean).

I think people on here get triggered because some people these days act like A&M is the next Bama or something. They'll have talent and have some years in contention, but places like Bama, UGA, and tOSU will still have just as much talent and better coaching. As long as they have Jimbo's offense they aren't going to be some kind of dynasty like they're hyping themselves up to be. 

You're right that they aren't the next Bama. They will have as much talent as those teams in a few years but will probably still lag behind a bit because of Jimbo's old school approach to offense. Day has tOSU running with Georgia this year and for years to come because of his brilliant recruiting at WR and outstanding play calling/design. I don't think Georgia and Alabama are necessarily better coached than A&M though. Georgia isn't any more modern than A&M on either side of the ball, they just have better players and just as good of coaches/support staffs. Alabama's staff this year is arguably worse than A&M's; they just have a more modern approach to offense and an explosive receiver/better QB that has resulted in their offense being much more efficient and explosive. Saban will most likely let O'Brien walk and fire Golding this offseason, so we'll have to see who they hire and how they match up against Jimbo/Elko/future DC in order to assess who is on the better path going forward.

8 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

I agree. If more teams actually threw the ball deep against aggy instead of running it into the strength of their defense a lot more people would see their defense for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure at agree. 2/3 teams that won had pedestrian passing games, especially by Ole Miss standards and Pirate gonna Pirate..always. The front is very, very good at getting pressure and even more so when a team is over reliant on passing. Lower percentage plays are also a problem because you don’t want to waste drives against A&M with Fisher’s plodding ball control offense. You don’t get a lot of them.

The secondary is not elite. But it isn’t a weak spot, it’s a better than average unit. 

5 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I will never bet on anything with anyone from this site. It's absolutely moronic to think they're going to keep losing 3-4 games every year based upon how well they're recruiting at every position but WR (for now). Programs live and die by coaches and how they recruit/evaluate. Jimbo does both well, and if you can't explain why he's lost three or more games in six of the last seven years and the contrasting future that will be different because of recruiting, then there is no point in arguing with anyone. They've committed to creating a winning program, and you'd see that if you weren't so biased. Any program that properly commits to long-term improvement will reap rewards. My favorite program, Rutgers, seems to be on the same path thus far (obviously with a lower ceiling).

So in other words you’re all talk. Got it. I will still come back to this thread and laugh at you when aggy loses 3 or more games next season. 

6 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I posted who which team I root for on this page and it's not A&M. Your life will get better if you become less oblivious.

Ohhh, sorry, huge mistake. My most sincere apologies. Let me correct it for you, then. 

7 hours ago, LonghornLurker said:

All I’m reading is “I’m a pussy and I come in here and spout dumb bullshit about a team I’m not a fan of and I won’t back up my mouth with cash because on some level, I know I’m spouting unsubstantiated bullshit”. Grow a pair of balls. 

Is that better? 

15 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Jimbo recruited multiple top 3 classes leading up to his last two shitastic seasons at FSU. Why are his current classes contrasting to those classes and what has he changed about his coaching exactly?

Edited by Hank_Hill

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Jimbo recruited multiple top 3 classes leading up to his last two shitastic seasons at FSU. Why are his current classes contrasting to those classes and what has he changed about his coaching exactly?

FSU '14 (#4 class), FSU '15 (#3 class), FSU '16 (#3 class), FSU '17 (#3 class), A&M '18 (#17 class-transition year), A&M '19 (#4 class), A&M '20 (#6 class), A&M '21 (#8 class). 

He doesn't have a very good argument. Jimbo has had one of the most talented rosters (at both FSU and A&M) going on 7 years now and it's translated to a 29-19 conference record in the last 6 seasons when you exclude all the scrubs in non-conference. 

Jimbo has always landed talent. It's hilarious that people bitch about Texas wasting talent when that's what Jimbo has done for about 7 years now. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I wonder if Bruh has ever posted any of the many negatives regarding a&m

Bruh was predicting aggy to go 11-1 this year and a playoff team. He did later admit that he was dead wrong about their team this season (in the thread below). Somehow, like George Clooney, he's now back to sucking their dick when they way underachieved based on the expectations he was discussing before the season. 

I extend the same bet to Bruh as I did George Clooney. For as much as they continue to suck aggy dick, you would think they wouldn't be scared to put $100 bucks on the line for a "powerhouse" losing 3 games next season in the 5th year of Jimbo. 

You in Bruh or are you a pussy like George Clooney? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Bruh was predicting aggy to go 11-1 this year and a playoff team. He did later admit that he was dead wrong about their team this season (in the thread below). Somehow, like George Clooney, he's now back to sucking their dick when they way underachieved based on the expectations he was discussing before the season. 
I extend the same bet to Bruh as I did George Clooney. For as much as they continue to suck aggy dick, you would think they wouldn't be scared to put $100 bucks on the line for a "powerhouse" losing 3 games next season in the 5th year of Jimbo. 
You in Bruh or are you a pussy like George Clooney? 

You know neither of them will actually put up or shut up. They just enjoy spreading hate and discontent. But please, do not let them off the hook. Stay on them!

10 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

FSU tanked because of his failure to hold their OL coach accountable for his bad units, lackluster QB development, and lackluster WR development. I don't know enough about FSU back then to explain why he wouldn't fire Trickett, but that's definitely a knock on Jimbo. As a HC, Jimbo's QB starters are as follows: Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Jameis, Everett Golson, Sean Maguire, Deondre Francois, James Blackman, Mond, King, and Calzada. The first three operated his offense at a good to great level while the next four generally did not. At A&M, Mond ultimately was fine in that regard while King is unproven and Calzada has definitively failed.

I ultimately think they're on the upswing because Conner Weigman is extremely talented and pretty athletic. In my opinion, their recruiting on defense as well as Henson's development of their OL gives them a 3 loss floor going forward. You and everyone else can argue that Jimbo won't develop Weigman like he didn't develop FSU QBs from '15 onward, but I just think Weigman is a special prospect. As far as WR development goes, he has continued to let some talented guys wither like did at FSU because they're typically asked to run option routes and Craig is a terrible WR coach (but great recruiter). If they continue to get decent to bad QB play along with lackluster WR play, then they'll likely have season after season like this one in which their defense carries them. If my opinion of Weigman rings true and he operates Jimbo's offense anywhere near the level Jameis did, then they will compete for SEC titles.

As far as Jimbo's coaching goes, I think their season turned starting with the Alabama game because he simplified their offense for Calzada by running much more RPO rather than his typical offense. Calzada just isn't a good QB because he can't quickly process reads, so the increased RPO frequency gave him easier throws and thus more completions. If he fails to develop King and/or Weigman, then y'all will be right.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

As a HC, Jimbo's QB starters are as follows: Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Jameis, Everett Golson, Sean Maguire, Deondre Francois, James Blackman, Mond, King, and Calzada. The first three operated his offense at a good to great level while the next four generally did not. At A&M, Mond ultimately was fine in that regard while King is unproven and Calzada has definitively failed.

I'd say that Francois is at worst DNC. The guy was ACC rookie of the year and his team won 10 games including the Orange Bowl against Michigan. The next season he tore his patella tendon (I think?) against Alabama and didn't play another snap for Fisher.  Off-field issues are something else entirely. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I'd say that Francois is at worst DNC. The guy was ACC rookie of the year and his team won 10 games including the Orange Bowl against Michigan. The next season he tore his patella tendon (I think?) against Alabama and didn't play another snap for Fisher.  Off-field issues are something else entirely. 

That's a good point; I still have no clue why Jimbo just stood there and let Trickett ruin that unit. Francois was bludgeoned throughout '16 and finally paid the price the next year like you said.

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

That's a good point; I still have no clue why Jimbo just stood there and let Trickett ruin that unit.

Jimbo ruined the unit. He hired Trickett who favored long lean athletic guys - think TEs turned OTs, etc ... and then Jimbo proceeded to fill his room with fat ass cubes on the recruiting trail, because Jimbo fucking LOVES giant bodied OL guys in his old school heart. It was like hiring Mike Leach and then only recruiting wishbone players. Henson's time with Jimbo started the same way, but Henson has somehow broken through the wall and started to get guys in that can move. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Jimbo ruined the unit. He hired Trickett because Trickett who favored long lean athletic guys - think TEs turned OTs, etc ... and then Jimbo proceeded to fill his room with fat ass cubes on the recruiting trail, because Jimbo fucking LOVES giant bodied OL guys in his old school heart. It was like hiring Mike Leach and then only recruiting wishbone players. Henson's time with Jimbo started the same way, but Henson has somehow broken through the wall and started to get guys in that can move. 

I'll trust your perspective here. What's your opinion on A&M having a 3 loss floor going forward?

24 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I'll trust your perspective here. What's your opinion on A&M having a 3 loss floor going forward?

"Floor", that's kinda the "bar" isn't it? I'm still expecting them to find a way to lose to LSU this weekend since LSU can actually pass the ball and Elko's defenses don't like teams that can pass the ball.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, George Clooney said:

If they start getting guys like Stewart and Johntay Cook, then Jimbo/Craig would have to really fuck things up to not have a quality WR corps.

I'm sorry to interrupt your sucking of Jimbo's 3" cock, but this one made me LOL. 

2018 Jalen Preston 4-star (national #95), Caleb Chapman 4-star (national #354) 
2109 Dylan Wright 4-star (national #70), Kam Brown 4-star (national #203)
2020 Demond Demas 5-star (national #25), Moose Muhammed 4-star (national #160), Devon Achane 4-star (national #137)
2021 Shadrack Banks 4-star (national #112)

Man.... just think how good A&M's WR corps would be if they could actually recruit some 4 and 5 star talent.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm sorry to interrupt your sucking of Jimbo's 3" cock, but this one made me LOL. 

2020 Demond Demas 5-star (national #25), Moose Muhammed 4-star (national #160), Devon Achane 4-star (national #137)

Man.... just think how good A&M's WR corps would be if they could actually recruit some 4 and 5 star talent.

from a guy on reddit: How often do bluechip WRs contribute as true freshman? (2016-2020)

google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IWXTM_q84b38AQ2fxPlzgZ03n4tRpFXI7U3gb9nVI6E/edit

A&M:

image.png.31dd829d6ed41dd4fcc5ca50bdd46139.png

Florida:

image.png.b8cacb17a7d5496c28e4a4d4a6c4dedc.png

he brings in a ton of highly regarded WR

they don't play much or get stats their freshman year.

Demas had the WORST year by a 5* WR ever based on stats.

Edited by NoName

49 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don’t know why 3 losses being the floor is some kind of indication that they are improving. That has been the floor the last 4 years and should be with their scheduling.

It's why I think it's funny when people bang the drum about A&M having more wins than us over the last decade (or whatever the metric is). Yes, we have been down, particularly in a historical sense, but they continually play FCS and really shitty FBS schools in non-conference. Their wins are not really the same as ours. And again, we suck. 

Yep. Bottom line is A&M is a problem to us because they have a good bag game structure and good recruiters, not because they are an impending football powerhouse. They have shown no ability to turn those recruits into results at this point. Anyone claiming as such is just looking for something to worry about.

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep. Bottom line is A&M is a problem to us because they have a good bag game structure and good recruiters, not because they are an impending football powerhouse. They have shown no ability to turn those recruits into results at this point. Anyone claiming as such is just looking for something to worry about.

To add, they could eventually win their division. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't. They certainly capitalized on a shitty division last season, and four teams they beat fired their coaches. They filled the vacuum. But we need to quit giving them ammo for recruiting against us.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

To add, they could eventually win their division. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't. They certainly capitalized on a shitty division last season, and four teams they beat fired their coaches. They filled the vacuum. But we need to quit giving them ammo for recruiting against us.

3 of those had already fired their coach and aggie got them in a Covid year with very little practice time to implement their scheme. Those three coaches one year later, beat A&M. Auburn had a new coach this season. LSU next season. They have two wins in the west and were outgained by a wide margin in one of those. A third win will be very difficult but possible. So at best they go 3-3 in their division. So while talent may be upgraded, results remain the same. Covid year being an outlier

33 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Are all the likely NFL draft picks for A&M playing this week? Or have any chosen to sit out to prepare for the draft? At this point they are just playing for a chance at the Citrus Bowl vs. the Outback Bowl aren’t they?

No idea on first question.

On bowls, not sure but they might have an outside chance of backing into a NY6 game if a bunch of upsets happen or if Ole Miss loses to MSU and Bama beats UGA. If that happened there would be a 3-way tie in the SEC West standings between Miss, MSU, A&M. Kentucky would also be tied in conference. Not sure who would get the SEC NY6 spot in that case although A&M lost to both Miss and MSU so that may factor in. 

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

3 of those had already fired their coach and aggie got them in a Covid year with very little practice time to implement their scheme. Those three coaches one year later, beat A&M. Auburn had a new coach this season. LSU next season. They have two wins in the west and were outgained by a wide margin in one of those. A third win will be very difficult but possible. So at best they go 3-3 in their division. So while talent may be upgraded, results remain the same. Covid year being an outlier

I am certainly not building them up. The next time I am impressed by aggy will be the first time.

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I am certainly not building them up. The next time I am impressed by aggy will be the first time.

Oh for sure, didn’t mean to imply you felt otherwise. 

We are watching someone take advantage of a very strange group, much the way Sherrill did. With Texas returning to their purview, the heat is about to get turned up

On 11/23/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Their WR group is going to be ass next season. 

Their leading receiver will be gone in Wydermeyer (yes I know he's a TE but he's a WR in Jimbo's offense). It also sounds like Ainias Smith is 50/50 on leaving early. 

If they lose Smith it's going to be bad because young WRs struggle in Jimbo's offense.