Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

Machinator

17 minutes ago, sachick said:

Time to get my nails did in burnt orange. Last year right after the Maryland game, I changed my polish color to burnt orange and Texas went on a six game winning streak. I'm not skipping the first game this year. Nails will be burnt orange prior to kickoff.

Have you tried burnt orange pasties?

• Like 2

Eric Nahlin: The 10 Best Players on the Team (2019)

Sure, I'll take another stab at this silly exercise. We're all just killing time until Saturday evening anyway.

But first, a refresher from Friday's Humidor:

10 Best/Team Best: I was asked for my opinion on the 10 best players on the team. I may still give it but here's what our source had to say.

He offered them in order and when it came to giving the 10th guy he mentioned three who were in the conversation.

10. DL Ta'Quon Graham/WR Devin Duvernay/LB Jeffrey McCulloch: "These guys are all going to be big contributors."
9. BJ Foster: "There's a lot of talent when I don't mention Foster's name until now. I might be too low."
8. Joseph Ossai: "He'll vie to lead the team in sacks. Maybe tackles too."
7. Brandon Jones: "Probably the most important DB."
6. Keaontay Ingram: "Just needs to stay healthy."
5. Malcolm Roach: "If he's as motivated as Omenihu was -- giving max effort on every play -- he's going to be a terror."
4. Caden Sterns: "He's had it since he arrived. He'll have a big year."
3. Sam Cosmi: "Not really a weakness in his game."
2. Collin Johnson: "You asked for best so I'll say Johnson, Cosmi is more important to the season."
1. Sam Ehlinger: "I don't think anybody would disagree with that." 

My source obviously has a good handle on things as they sit now, but he isn't projecting how the season might go. Also, sometimes you can be too close to a situation as familiarity bias creeps in.

I'll take a stab at it so next year around this time it can be re-posted, we can chuckle at it, and do it all over again. This is based on the entire season, not the first series of the first game, Game Thread Man. It also assumes relatively good health. 

Honorable mention: OL Zach Shackelford, OL Parker Braun, DL Ta'Quon Graham.

I feel the need to explain why I left Braun off. Given running back depth compounded with our intel the offense is going to open up and throw it more I don't think they'll run the offense to his strength which is of course the run game. I do feel confident that he'll be quite good in the run game.

10. WR Devin Duvernay: I think he's going to be a primary beneficiary of the RPO passing game. That coupled with his reliability and how easy it is to feed the position, I think he's going to quickly become an Ehlinger favorite. If they scheme him deep a time or two it'll be icing on the cake.

9. LB Joseph Ossai: If he was going to predominantly play on the LOS I'd bet on the come up and rank him #6. I'm curious to see how he'll look playing off-the-ball. It could be he's miscast there and if so that's on the staff for not having a better option.

8. N BJ Foster: I think he'll experience some losses in coverage a time or two but his P&L sheet with be well into the black. He's going to rack up a ton of tackles for losses and be a disruptive blitzer. The F-backer with some B-backer qualities. He's every bit the talent of Jones or Sterns, they're just in positions ideally suited to their skill-sets. Positions Foster would also excel at.

7. RB Keaontay Ingram: As the source stated his biggest thing will be health. With limited depth you wonder if he'll get more carries than expected or if they'll try to limit wear and tear. He's extremely gifted and if he holds up for 200 + carries he'll have a big season.

6. DE Malcolm Roach: I'm not sure how much of a stat-filler he'll be but I think he'll help blow up run design and make life easier for the linebackers and safeties. I expect most of his sacks to come from interior pressure rather than bending from the outside. He'll have a big year but the "need more sacks" chant from the low info crowd might set in. I think he'll have more tackles than Omenihu did in 2018 but not as many sacks. 

5. S Brandon Jones: This team is going to need a tackling machine in space the more it goes dime and I think Jones is due for a big, consistent year. Jones should save tons of hidden yardage versus the run and underneath passing game. He'll also be a security blanket for BJ Foster at nickel and serve as an extra linebacker for a blitzing Mac or Rover. It should surprise nobody if he is second on the team in tackles. 

4. S Caden Sterns: He's going to consistently impact games with his range -- that may materialize directly with picks and pass breakups or indirectly as offensive coordinators look to hunt yards elsewhere. He'll have quarterbacks thinking twice about whether or not a receiver is truly open. He'll be improved in the run game, either that or he added good muscle for no reason.

3. WR Collin Johnson: I'm buying the hype of him becoming a complete receiver. I've heard it from too many people. But, even if he isn't more complete he's still going to put up 1200 yards. He could have an even bigger year depending on how they move him around.

2. OT Sam Cosmi: Collin having a big camp is going to stick out more in a short burst, but Cosmi playing well for the entire season may lead to early draft speculation. He could be the best offensive lineman in the league thanks to being very good at both run and pass blocking. 

1. QB Sam Ehlinger: Last year I had him at #7 which was considered optimistic at the time. If he isn't the best player on the team this year then I don't think fans will be happy with the outcome. He needs to pick up where he left off last season with regards to protecting the ball while processing faster and hitting on throws that lead directly to points when the staff schemes a guy open. I am confident that Sam is going to wreck shop.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ive seen some 9.95ers allude that RJ has been less than impressive as a 3rd team RB. 

12 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Couple team tweets on Roschon

Hide contents

Source?

Take what the players say with a grain of salt, but Herman said he’s only been practicing at RB 6-7 days yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Except none of those people know shit. Nor have any of them seen him play.

Most likely the case. But they are probably talking to someone with some modicum of program access. That someone may or may not be an informed observer. 

All I can do is share. I learned a long time ago to take any and all practice reports with a massive grain of salt. 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He has size too. 6'2 220. 

Jarrett Smith is 200 pounds, Watkins is 160, and Jake Smith is 200. Roschon at least has the frame to go find a body and hit somebody as a lead blocker for Ehlinger. 

The staff will not be using our true freshman QB as a lead blocker. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't know. Saban's been breaking new ground in what players should and shouldn't be lead blockers after all:

360__1_.2019_01_07_19_34_29.gif

Well the guy that made the tackle was double blocked as was the second guy to arrive. I could see why the kicker looked else where for someone to block.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t disagree necessarily, but I am fucking sick of it. As fans, it doesn’t do anything for us.

Also, it’s pronounced Merlin (like the wizard).

Are you tired of the fuckwaffles because they say we have recruited like shit at RB and find ourselves thin at RB or because they ask about chicken sandwiches and vote for Reggie instead of Vince. On the first they can't be homers and we are not aggy, we can handle the truth. We also have some very informed fans and it is fucking ridicules that they come to the board to get their "insights" and have nothing to offer us fans.

Are you tired of the fuckwaffles because they say we have recruited like shit at RB and find ourselves thin at RB or because they ask about chicken sandwiches and vote for Reggie instead of Vince. On the first they can't be homers and we are not aggy, we can handle the truth. We also have some very informed fans and it is fucking ridicules that they come to the board to get their "insights" and have nothing to offer us fans.

I’m tired in general, but tired mostly of the offseason bullshit.

These are back for anyone interested:

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic