Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

Machinator

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't know. Saban's been breaking new ground in what players should and shouldn't be lead blockers after all:

360__1_.2019_01_07_19_34_29.gif

When I saw that play live I knew that I would forever remember it as one of the worst calls in football history. Everyone, and I mean everyone, watching the game knew to watch for a fake. Going for it wasn't the issue, that absolutely awfully designed fake was the issue. They should have just left the offense out there.

It was also refreshing to see. It's nice when dominant performers do something stupid. Reminds us they're human. The fact that Nick Saban made perhaps the worst playcalling decision in the history of college football is neat in a way.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 4:55 PM, Mother mopar said:

Me and Mrs. MM are making the road trip from Florida to watch the game. Our first in DKR, pretty stoked to see it. Rulz and shit 373c7d51f73ef34c55a04222946a35e4.jpg

She's hardly recognizable with clothes on.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

When I saw that play live I knew that I would forever remember it as one of the worst calls in football history. Everyone, and I mean everyone, watching the game knew to watch for a fake. Going for it wasn't the issue, that absolutely awfully designed fake was the issue. They should have just left the offense out there.

It was also refreshing to see. It's nice when dominant performers do something stupid. Reminds us they're human. The fact that Nick Saban made perhaps the worst playcalling decision in the history of college football is neat in a way.

He also tried a boneheaded fake punt on 4th and really long against us in the national championship game that was easily stopped.

Roschon is already proving to be a great teammate. I hope he does get another shot at QB and continues to work on the mechanics. 

ETA-- which by the way, how come there wasn't any indication of this when he was being recruited? I don't remember shit on that front...

Edited by BigHorn'13

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Roschon is already proving to be a great teammate. I hope he does get another shot at QB and continues to work on the mechanics. 

ETA-- which by the way, how come there wasn't any indication of this when he was being recruited? I don't remember shit on that front...

He was always considered to be a raw passer.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He was always considered to be a raw passer.

I guess I didn't anticipate it being that big of a problem. Everything I remember was about how awesome he'd be and PNG's offense being very similar to ours. 

Guess I'm wondering how bad were his mechanics to have him change his natural throwing motion and setting his development back further. Didn't seem to be a major issue then. I mean, how many hs QBs come to college and don't have to work on the same thing?

12 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I guess I didn't anticipate it being that big of a problem. Everything I remember was about how awesome he'd be and PNG's offense being very similar to ours. 

Guess I'm wondering how bad were his mechanics to have him change his natural throwing motion and setting his development back further. Didn't seem to be a major issue then. I mean, how many hs QBs come to college and don't have to work on the same thing?

Sites like IT glossed over his mechanics and pumped sunshine hard with him. A lot of people said he’d need to change his mechanics. I had multiple posts on the old site and this one about things he’d need to fix. He was very inconsistent from throw to throw in large part because he didn’t do a good job transferring his weight. He definitely needed a lot more work on his throwing than your average 4 star QB.

There’s a reason he was rated where he was even with his numbers and running ability. He’s still a really good QB prospect, but he was always going to need 1-2 years to iron things out.

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Some good quotes in there. Those DBs pretty much need to believe they can press their way to success, because if 5'9" Amik Robertson gets manned up on CJ for a standard jump ball they're fucked.

Also L'Jarius is a hell of a name.

Hell, I would rather see Epps on that guy... Epps might not even need to jump

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not to shit on him but his poor throwing mechanics have been clear as day on his hudl/YouTube highlights.  He threw some awful ducks in the Under Armour game, yet he played in that game and moved his team down the field a few times for a reason.  He has lots of good tools, and can eventually be a good QB... Throwing is not his forte at this point

3 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

He also tried a boneheaded fake punt on 4th and really long against us in the national championship game that was easily stopped.

Actually no. Applewhite still knew the Bama punt team calls and we gave them a look that triggered an automatic fake audible. Saban didn’t know it was coming. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

More importantly, don’t resolve it like Ced Benson. 

Yeah I agree.   I was a little surprised Mack told that story last week when news broke.  Mack told it almost gleefully, not sure it was appropriate, but whatever.

Depth Chart Projections Week 1 (The Athletic - ducks):

Texas Longhorns depth chart projections: What the offense should look like in Week 1

AUSTIN, Texas — Many familiar faces are returning for the Texas Longhorns this season. There’s also several notable changes. Regardless, the current collection of players is tasked with performing at a high level, specifically on UT’s offense.

Junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger leads a group of talented players on what is the more experienced side of the ball. The Longhorns boast a handful of players tabbed for the preseason watch lists of national awards, including sophomore tailback Keaontay Ingram and senior receiver Collin Johnson.

Last season, UT’s offense found a way to grind opponents down, despite some inefficiencies. This year, the Longhorns hope to be more consistent generating big plays, both in the pass and run game. It appears that UT has the talent to follow through on such aspirations.

It won’t be long before it’s clear whether that’s true. Next week, the Longhorns will open their season against Louisiana Tech. It will serve as the first chance to gauge where the team stands ahead of a much anticipated Sept. 7 visit by LSU. Below, The Athletic delivers its first look into how UT shapes up on offense entering the 2019 campaign. (Defensive and special teams projections can be found here.)

Quarterback

Starter: Sam Ehlinger

Backup: Casey Thomspon

In reserve: Roschon Johnson

Overview: For the first time in awhile, the Longhorns are comfortable at starting quarterback. Ehlinger enters the 2019 campaign considered one of the top quarterbacks in the nation following an outstanding sophomore year. Ehlinger, one of the Longhorns’ true leaders, earned captaincy ahead of the season’s start and could be considered a dark-horse Heisman Trophy candidate.

While Ehlinger provides UT stability at quarterback, there was some attrition at the position. Former Longhorns starter Shane Buechele transferred to SMU and highly touted freshman Cameron Rising transferred to Utah. With both gone, legitimate concerns emerged at backup quarterback. However, Thompson — who also nearly exited this offseason — has drawn rave reviews for how he’s performed as of late.

Herman has called the redshirt freshman impressive. Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tim Beck said “I think (Thompson is) gonna be a great one.” Redshirt freshman receiver Malcolm Epps added that he thinks that Thompson will be “an outstanding quarterback,” commending him for being “fearless.”

Behind Thompson, Johnson, a likely candidate to redshirt for his freshman season, is in line to be the Longhorns’ third-string QB. Beck expressed confidence in the young quarterbacks when he spoke following the team’s second preseason scrimmage. “Our young guys are all good players,” he said. “Their head spins a little bit. … But in terms of their athleticism, their toughness and their ability, they’re all going to be great players.”

Running back

Starter: Keaontay Ingram

Backup: Jordan Whittington

In reserve: Daniel Young, Kirk Johnson, Jake Smith, Jarrett Smith, Mason Ramirez

Overview: Talented young players spearhead the Longhorns’ running backs group. Ingram accrued 708 yards last year and is intent on improving on those numbers. He assumes full-time starting duties after UT’s 2018 starter, Tre Watson, wrapped up his college career.

Whittington, who played wide receiver in high school, has already leapt up the depth chart as a true freshman. The former Cuero High star has repeatedly earned praise from coaches and teammates alike. He appears to have displayed a quick grasp of UT’s offense, plus his physical makeup has impressed folks around the program.

UT’s running backs corps features four scholarship members. The depth has looked thin at times this preseason, as both Ingram (ankle) and Johnson (sternoclavicular joint sprain) suffered injuries in the middle of camp. Johnson, a senior, was ruled out for at least six weeks while Ingram’s ailment is considered minor and shouldn’t prevent him from playing the opener. But in wake of the injuries, Herman and Co. have worked both Smith, a freshman wideout, and Ramirez, a senior defensive back, at the spot.

Running backs coach Stan Drayton credited the walk-on members of the unit for staying prepared.

“I love our guys, man,” Drayton said. “Those guys are some tough nuts, man. They’re some tough dudes. They throw their stuff in there. They don’t make mistakes. They know what they’re doing. It’s just an example of where our team is right now. No matter if you’re a walk-on, second-, third- or fourth-team guy, our guys — when they get their chance and their number’s called, they’re ready.”

There’s promise for the Longhorns’ rushing attack to be improved this season. The group’s performance is integral to the offense’s success, with Herman’s desire to impose his side’s will through a power-run game. So long as the unit can remain healthy, there is legitimate reason for excitement over its potential this year.

Z receiver

Starter: Brennan Eagles

Backup: Devin Duvernay

In reserve: Joshua Moore, John Burt, Marcus Washington, Al’Vonte Woodard

Overview: The Longhorns could be in line for a breakout performance from their Z-receiver position this year. Eagles has been commended for his effort by UT’s coaching staff throughout the preseason. Texas hopes to generate more explosive plays through the air at a higher rate, and the sophomore stands as someone who can help the Longhorns hit more often in 2019. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Eagles boasts the speed key to succeeding at the role.

Eagles is recovering from a minor arthroscopic elbow surgery, but is expected to be healthy by the season opener. Additionally, Moore and Burt both possess speed that can help the Longhorns vertically stretch the field with more consistency. Moore, a sophomore whose status for the opener is still undetermined following a recent arrest on an unlawful gun possession charge, could provide similar skill out of the position. Burt could also emerge as someone whose tremendous speed could earn him more time on the field his senior season.

X receiver

Image removed by sender.

Collin Johnson (9) could reach the 1,000-yard receiving mark this season as one of the Longhorns’ top options. (Chuck Cook / USA TODAY Sports)

Starter: Collin Johnson

Backup: Malcolm Epps

In reserve: Kennedy Lewis

Overview: Size is essential to success at the Longhorns’ X-receiver role. At 6-6 and 220 pounds, Johnson boasts plenty of it, and talent, too. Johnson came up just short of tallying 1,000 yards last year as a strong No. 2 option to Lil’Jordan Humphrey. This year, Johnson has taken on a leadership role within UT’s receiving corps. So long as he’s healthy, he should produce at a similar, if not better rate than last season.

Behind Johnson, the Longhorns boast more size in Epps. At 6-6, 245 pounds, the redshirt freshman poses a similar problem to defenders as Johnson. It’s tough for defenders to contain such a large presence in the boundary, and as Herman has asserted, Epps has looked good this preseason. His emergence as an additional outside weapon could be a significant boost to UT’s passing game and provide stability for its future. Receivers coach Corby Meekins also praised the work of Lewis, along with fellow freshmen Smith and Marcus Washington, for their work habit in recent practices.

“They asked questions,” Meekins said. “It’s important to them. And they’ve really improved over the last three weeks.”

H receiver

Starter: Devin Duvernay

Backup: Joshua Moore

In reserve: Jake Smith

Overview: The H-receiver spot is utilized as the most versatile piece in the Longhorns’ receiving unit. Last season, Humphrey emerged as UT’s most dangerous playmaker from the position, lining up primarily out of the slot but shifting and motioning all over the formation. The Longhorns were creative with how they got Humphrey the football, finding ways to get it in the hands of their most dynamic player.

Humphrey’s early departure was significant, especially considering how little the Longhorns managed to hit on big plays and how many of those he was directly responsible for. However, UT has a handful of players capable of helping pick up some of the production that Humphrey left behind. The Longhorns have been pleased with Duvernay’s offseason transition over to the slot from the Z-receiver position. The senior is arguably the fastest player on the team and believes himself to be the fastest player in the Big 12. He’s a suitable replacement despite quiet production through his first three seasons.

Additionally, Moore possesses experience playing out of the slot. Although he’s seen recent time at the Z, he could feasibly rotate back into the slot when asked. Smith also awaits in the wings. Ehlinger previously explained that Smith is still learning the nuances of the position, but could figure into the starting job in the future.

Tight end

Image removed by sender.

The Longhorns need Cade Brewer to take on a bigger role at tight end this season. (Jayne Kamin-Oncea / USA TODAY Sports)

Starter: Cade Brewer

Backup: Reese Leitao

In reserve: Jared Wiley, Brayden Liebrock

Overview: The Longhorns are faced with a tough task in replacing Andrew Beck. Tight ends coach Derek Warehime knows it.

“Andrew, very intelligent player, very physical player,” Warehime said. “Because of his physicality and because of his athleticism, could get away with a lack of technique and fundamentals at times, because he can make it right with the strength in his body. Whereas where we’re at physically with the guys playing the tight end position right now, we have got to be technique and fundamentally sound. So it’s noticeable if we don’t take the proper step. It’s noticeable if our hat placement is poor. It’s noticeable if our pad level’s poor from a blocking perspective. Whereas with Andrew, it may not be perfect, but he can make it right.”

Warehime is confident in the group that he has returning to him despite its lack of in-game experience. He said that Brewer has played at a level reminiscent of his days at Lake Travis High, noting that after missing last offseason while recovering from a knee injury, Brewer is as strong as he’s ever looked.

“He’s playing a high level of football right now, and he’s moving really well,” Warhime said. “He’s moving better than he was before the injury because he’s stronger.”

Brewer will get his first full-time role in the offense. He is more skilled as a receiver than a blocker for now, but he’s confident in his abilities to improve. Perhaps more importantly, he and Ehlinger have seemingly improved their chemistry ahead of the campaign.

Brewer, however, has been in concussion protocol since Tuesday’s practice.

Leitao has seen significant action throughout camp to this point, too. Brewer described Leitao as a smart player who could factor into the offense this season. Behind him, Wiley — one of a handful of players who have had their red rookie helmet stripe removed — and Liebrock are young, but have upside that suggests they’ll be able to produce in the future.

“It’s always a transition whenever you lose a great leader,” Warhime said. “Always. That’s team-wide, right? We’ve got a lot of great guys that have been through a lot of fights and have been in the organization for a long time.

“Cade has kind of stepped up and become a little bit of that role player as a leader. Reese certainly has a little bit of that going on as well, and then the other two guys are doing their job and being good followers, as they should be with being young players.”

Left tackle

Starter: Samuel Cosmi

Backup: Reese Moore, Tyler Johnson

In reserve: Javonne Shepherd

Overview: The Longhorns lost an anchor at left tackle in Calvin Anderson. Luckily, they have another one in Cosmi. Perhaps more importantly, UT trusts the sophomore, who played right tackle last season. In 2018, the Longhorns rushed the ball off the right side 48 percent of the time, according to Pro Football Focus. Of the 38 rushing attempts directly made off the right tackle, UT posted an average of 5.6 yards per carry — the highest directional rate last year. Cosmi was regarded as one of the top tackles in the Big 12 last year, and his success is expected to translate at left tackle.

“Sammy Cosmi’s had a real good camp,” offensive line coach Herb Hand said. “We just gotta flip it from the right side to the left side. You’re still playing tackle, but there’s challenges that come with that.”

Last year, the Longhorns rushed the ball off the left side 40.5 percent of the time. That number should increase with Cosmi’s services fully established on the left. Behind him, there’s a bit of uncertainty after Moore underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee. The redshirt freshman had practiced as the team’s No. 2 left tackle. Johnson, a true freshman, would be a fill-in as backup.

Left guard

Starter: Parker Braun

Backup: Junior Angilau

In reserve: Tope Imade, Matt Frost

Overview: The Longhorns retooled their offensive line with potential by adding Braun, the graduate transfer from Georgia Tech. His addition stands to improve UT’s rushing attack, though there are legitimate questions over how well he will perform as a pass protector. Hand expressed confidence in his growth thus far. He said that the transition is going “pretty good,” but noted that it’s a bit different from the change that the Longhorns’ previous starting left tackle, Calvin Anderson, went through last year when he transferred to UT from Rice.

When asked if Braun would currently factor into the Longhorns’ top-six offensive linemen, Hand said that Braun “definitely” would.

“He’s in the mix, for sure,” Hand said. “He’s done a lot of good things.”

Braun has enjoyed the development and physical training he’s experienced since arriving at the Forty Acres. In fact, it could be reason that the graduate transfer, still eligible for a redshirt season, only appears in four games this year in hopes of improving potential NFL draft stock. Per Hand, the possibility of Braun taking a redshirt year was discussed during his recruitment.

“There’s a lot of reasons why if it goes that way,” Hand said, “he would have no problems with it. If he winds up being our starter from day one, and plays throughout the entire season, he has no problems with that either. That was all discussed out of the recruiting process.

“If we get four games out of him and have to redshirt him for whatever reason. It’s all good. We have a plan and all that stuff. And it’s all been discussed.”

That plan, for now, seems to include Angilau. In the spring, the redshirt freshman figured in with the second-team, suggesting potential. Hand commended his demeanor and daily approach.

“The guy’s just a joy to be around,” Hand said. “I love coaching guys like him. He comes to the meetings, he’s locked in. He has a real high give-a-crap factor. He wants to be great. He works at being great. If you ask him to fix something, he fixes it to the best of his ability and he’ll try to fine-tune it even more. I just think he’s great.

“If you had five guys with his demeanor, approach, spirit, you’d be pretty happy as a coach.”

Center

Starter: Zach Shackelford

Backup: Derek Kerstetter

In reserve: Rafiti Ghirmai, Chad Wolf

Overview: Much of the Longhorns’ stability on their offensive line hinges on the health of Shackelford. Last season, he started 10 games (11 appearances), but was hampered by a foot injury that caused him to miss three games. Recently, the senior suffered a sprained foot, a minor ailment that Hand thinks he’ll be able to recover from fully.

“Shack was having a great camp,” Hand said. “He’s got a little foot deal right now, but he’s fine. He’ll be he’ll be ready to roll. He’s a guy that we’re counting on. Big time. He’s had a really good training camp.”

There’s question over who would fill in at center. Last year, Kerstetter stepped in to fill the void. Ghirmai has had some snap issues, which were apparent during the spring game. Angilau has even worked at center, snapping the ball to quarterbacks during recent pre-practice sessions.

Right guard

Starter: Derek Kerstetter

Backup: J.P. Urquidez

In reserve: Willie Tyler

Overview: Kerstetter’s value in the lineup cannot go understated. But, in an ideal scenario, the versatile junior would slot into the starting five at right guard.

“Derek has been able to (cross-train) because of his experiences,” Hand said. “The fact that he’s a veteran guy and is able to manage playing center, guard and tackle, which is not easy to do.”

Provided he’s healthy, there should be little concern at the spot. Behind him, there’s not much worry either, at least according to Hand.

“Urquidez is a guy that we really trust,” he said.

Urquidez, a junior, was considered as one of “seven, eight or nine” top linemen currently in the program.

Right tackle

Starter: Denzel Okafor

Backup: Christian Jones

In reserve: Derek Kerstetter, Isaiah Hookfin

Overview: With Cosmi shifted over to left tackle, the Longhorns needed a suitable replacement. They appeared to have found one with Okafor, a redshirt junior who waas one of the first offensive linemen Ehlinger mentioned when listing which members of the line had impressed him.

Okafor appeared in just one game last year for the Longhorns, but had played in 23 contests prior, including four starts as a sophomore in 2017. His backup Jones has routinely been mentioned as one of the young tackles who’ve made impressive strides over the offseason. Hand even reiterated so Thursday.

“Christian Jones has had a really good camp so far,” Hand said. “He’s getting better everyday.”

In an emergency event, Kerstetter could fill in at the spot, too. However, there’s stability ahead of him entering the year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas depth chart projections: What the defense and special teams should look like in Week 1

AUSTIN, Texas — Todd Orlando stood cool, calm and collected. Texas’ defensive coordinator bobbed slightly back and forth as he fielded questions from reporters a day before the Longhorns’ second scrimmage of the preseason.

Many of the inquiries aimed to peel back his reasons to worry about this defense. The dilemma at hand was fairly obvious — UT is replacing eight of its full-time defensive starters from a season ago. Departures left holes among every position group on that side of the ball.

Asked for his biggest concern about the unit, he gave a matter-of-fact response.

“I don’t know if we have a concern,” he said. “I would say we’ve got about 14 guys, maybe 15 guys, that you say ‘put them out there, we have a chance to be pretty decent.’ During the course of the year, there’s gonna be some situations that we’re gonna need more. I think that’s probably the biggest thing that you always get concerned about is through Week 8, Week 9, when those guys are banged up — the really good guys — can you throw this guy in and go, ‘OK, let’s hold our breath here.’ Or are we gonna throw this guy in and say, ‘Hey, we’re not gonna miss a beat.'”

The Longhorns defense is unproven. But talent is present. It’s a matter of whether it manifests. Is there enough depth?

Last season, Orlando did whatever it took to ensure that the best 11 players who gave UT’s defense an edge were on the field at the same time. The principle will be applied this season again. Determining how Longhorns players currently figure into the lineup will be revealed in a week, when Texas opens the season against Louisiana Tech. In the meantime, The Athleticprojects Texas’ depth chart for defense and special teams. (Offensive projections can be found here.)

Image removed by sender.

Texas’ defense lost eight starters, so defensive coordinator Todd Orlando is ready for returning players to take the lead. (John Gutierrez / USA Today)

Defensive end

Starters: Malcolm Roach, Ta’Quon Graham

Backups: Moro Ojomo, Marqez Bimage

In reserve: Jacoby Jones, Rob Cummins, Peter Mpagi, Myron Warren

Overview: UT’s defensive line will look much different than it did last season following the departures of Charles Omenihu, Breckyn Hager and Chris Nelson. Roach bears the most experience and will be relied upon to provide stability, too.

Coaches are counting on the senior to produce at a high level and remain healthy this season, and perhaps contribute in ways that he hasn’t in the past. That includes expanding his abilities as a pass rusher. For the first time in his Longhorns career, Roach didn’t record a sack for the season, settling for 1 1/2 tackles for loss in nine games in 2018. He missed time to a broken foot. The converted-linebacker hopes to have a strong bounce-back to close out his career.

In addition to Roach, Graham has asserted himself as a leader within his position group, and there’s a belief that the junior could be poised for a breakout season. Whether that comes to fruition remains to be seen, but defensive line coach Oscar Giles is confident in the ends he has.

“I’ve been with the highs, I’ve been with the lows,” Giles said. “I know that we’ve got to continue to be sound with what we do and also just be relentless. Our kids play hard for each other.”

Ojomo, a redshirt freshman, also garnered significant praise throughout camp for his strong showing, suggesting that he’s one of the players who could see himself rotating into the action during the season.

Nose tackle

Starter: Keondre Coburn

Backup: Gerald Wilbon

In reserve: T’Vondre Sweat, Jamari Chisholm, D’Andre Christmas-Giles, Daniel Carson

Overview: Coburn tries to fill the void left by Nelson. But, from what it sounds like, the redshirt freshman is ready to do so. He’s drawn comparisons to Poona Ford, the former Longhorn named Big 12 defensive lineman of the year in 2017.

Behind Coburn, there’s a veteran presence in Wilbon, a senior. But there’s also an apparent budding star in Sweat. The true freshman’s play has been commended by coaches and teammates. Herman even called him a “pleasant surprise” for his performance this offseason.

Despite significant turnover, there appears to be a sense of confidence in UT’s overall defensive line. Coburn expressed strong belief in how the entire defensive line has looked entering the campaign.

“The whole D-line is amazing,” he said following a recent practice. “I think this is the best year we’re going to have as a defensive line, period. Everybody’s doing good. Everybody’s doing their job. … Everybody’s gonna surprise. We’ve got something to prove.”

Middle linebacker (Mac)

Starter: Ayodele Adeoye

Backup: Caleb Johnson

In reserve: Juwan Mitchell

Overview: Arguably the biggest area of concern on defense entering the season is the Longhorns’ linebackers corps, which replaces Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler. But there’s a wealth of talent among the group.

Orlando has been pleased with how well the trio of middle linebackers — Adeoye, Johnson and Mitchell — looked ahead of the Longhorns’ second preseason scrimmage.

“Those type of guys were a work-in-progress,” Orlando said, “but they’ve shown flashes of being able to do it and their comprehension is pretty good. I just think what we need is just a little bit more time to get them fundamentally (prepared).”

Orlando had said before that he doesn’t believe that linebacker is a glaring area of concern. Adoeye, a redshirt freshman who appeared in four games last season, appears to have solidified himself as the likely starter. However, Johnson, a junior transfer, impressed down the stretch, too. There’s a chance that he could find a way into Orlando’s rotation.

Weakside linebacker (Rover)

Starter: Jeffrey McCulloch

Backup: Marcus Tillman, Jr.

In reserve: David Gbenda

Overview: McCulloch enters a pivotal year. Last season, the former four-star started six games (14 appearances), logging 33 total tackles, 4 1/2 tackles for loss and one sack. For his senior year, there’s hope that he can expand on that performance.

According to Pro Football Focus, McCulloch appeared on 503 defensive snaps, which would rank third-most among returning defensive players, giving UT needed experience within its linebacking corps. The Longhorns also have confidence in the young talent budding behind McCulloch at the position.

Tillman Jr. is a true freshman who has impressed over the course of the offseason, showing improvement from when he arrived on campus during the spring. Herman recently said that he will likely see the field a lot on special teams, which isn’t a knock on his current skill level — Orlando typically doesn’t rotate linebackers much. In fact, it signals that Tillman is a player with potential, and that bodes well for a position group that could have been a major weakness of the defensive unit entering the season.

B-Backer

Starter: Joseph Ossai

Backup: Byron Vaughns

Overview: Ossai’s solid freshman campaign has him set up to perform at a high level in 2019. Ossai started for the Longhorns in their Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia. He said that he’s built off the confidence from that performance, in which he led all defenders with eight tackles.

“I’ve improved with seeing the whole offense and learning not to just be so tunnel-vision, being focused,” Ossai said following a recent practice. “Knowing when to (have tunnel vision) and stay focused on things and when to open up and see the whole offense.”

Ossai’s increased comprehension of Orlando’s system could be the difference between the unit being good and average.

Cornerback

Starters: Jalen Green, Kobe Boyce

Backups: Anthony Cook, D’Shawn Jamison

In reserve: Kenyatta Watson II, Donovan Duvernay, Marques Caldwell

Overview: The cornerback battle has lasted all the way through to the opening week of play. The Longhorns were faced with a tough task of replacing two all-conference-level players in Davante Davis and Kris Boyd. Thus far, their solution isn’t totally clear, though they appear happy with the options available.

Green, a sophomore, appears to have solidified his spot in the starting group, but it’s still unclear who will slot into the lineup opposite of him. Cook saw the field most of last year as a freshman, yet has seemingly dropped in the rotation to Jamison, a sophomore converted wideout, and Boyce, a redshirt sophomore.

“All of those guys have been unbelievable, competing-wise,” cornerbacks coach Jason Washington said. “The competition’s been good. All of them are hungry. The biggest thing that we talked about is consistency to see who’s going to win that job.”

Washington said that Green is “ready to take off and take control of the boundary side,” suggesting that he’s locked into one of the two jobs. Washington also said that Boyce has had “a real good camp,” noting how much he’s “grown up” and moving around on the field. There’s a chance that those two end up being the players who start in the Aug. 31 opener against Louisiana Tech.

Safety

Starters: Caden Sterns; Brandon Jones

Backups: B.J. Foster; Josh Thompson; Chris Brown; DeMarvion Overshown

In reserve: Montrell Estell, Chris Adimora, Tyler Owens

Overview: Unlike the other units of the defense, Texas’ safety group has suffered only slight attrition with P.J. Locke III having departed. Many would argue that the stars on the Longhorns’ defense are each of its projected starting safeties in Sterns and Jones.

Sterns, named Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year and first-team All-Big 12 last year, is expected to take the next step in his development. The playmaking deep man suffered an ankle injury during preseason practice, but should be ready to go come next week’s season opener.

His presence is key to UT surviving an up-tempo, pass-happy Big 12. In tandem with Sterns, Jones’ presence is also crucial to the Longhorns’ defense succeeding. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler recently ranked Jones as the No. 4 safety prospect for the 2020 NFL Draft. The senior’s ability to track down ball carriers and his aggressiveness rank among his best attributes.

Nickel

Starter: B.J. Foster

Backup: Josh Thompson

In reserve: Chris Adimora

Overview: When asked earlier this offseason which players had stood out most during film sessions, Herman mentioned the Longhorns’ “six safeties” among that group. Sterns and Jones are obvious inclusions. But Foster and Thompson are certain to have been among the collection of safeties with which Herman expressed pleasure.

Foster — one of UT’s hardest hitters, according to Thompson — has been happy with his progression at the position. He said that last year he was trying to simply get a hang of his role at the nickel spot.

“This year, I’m actually starting to understand the game more,” Foster said. “(I’m making) smarter plays, understanding the concepts.”

Thompson added that the safety unit has looked good throughout the offseason.

“If everyone is on task, we’ll do great things,” Thompson said. “For this secondary and this defense, it’s going real well. We just gotta make sure everybody’s doing the right thing, everybody’s in the right spots in getting lined up, and we’ll be real good.”

Kicker

Starter: Cameron Dicker

Backup: Chris Naggar

Punter

Starter: Ryan Bujcevski

Overview: Herman gave Dicker a full vote of confidence following a recent practice.

“Pretty dang good,” Herman said of Dicker. “I’m not afraid to say that. It’s a luxury. It’s rare to find one that is that talented but yet mentally is in a really, really good place.”

Last season, Dicker was named second-team All-Big 12 after going 18-for-25 on field goals, setting the school record for most conversions by a freshman. He’s expected to produce at a similar rate in 2019, if not better.

Bujcevski, who hails from Sydney, Australia, was solid in 2018. But he’ll look to improve after finishing sixth in the Big 12 in average yards per punt (40.3).

Kickoff returner

Starter: Jordan Whittington

Backup: Jake Smith

In reserve: Josh Thompson

Punt returner

Starter: D’Shawn Jamison

Backup: Jordan Whittington

In reserve: Josh Thompson, Jake Smith

Overview: Speed makes a difference everywhere on the field, but especially in the return game. With receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey gone, UT will have to replace his impact on special teams by providing an injection of speed and playmaking ability.

Whittington and Smith, both true freshmen, are logical candidates to see time fielding returns. However, until the running back room returns to full health, it’s not a given Whittington is the first to get reps there.

Additionally, Jamison has flashed his prowess as a return specialist before. Last year, his 90-yard punt return at Kansas State proved the difference in a 19-14 victory. Altogether, the group hopes to elevate Texas’ overall return game, which ranked fifth in the Big 12 in both kickoff-return yard average (20.3) and punt-return yard average (12.2).

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic