Welcome LSU fans: Please leave your memes at the door

sushihorn

53 minutes ago, geauxpack81 said:

Rather than dominate with downhill runs and play action passes, we dominated by spreading the ball around and throwing quick passes.

I question whether orgeron will continue to let this happen if the game is close.  I'm sure he wasn't saying anything about the play calling when you win by 30, but if it's tied or within a touch down going into the 4th, is he going to go back to what be is comfortable with?  

The attrition Texas has faced out of those past four classes make gap in recruiting/ talent slightly bigger than OP is letting on. For 2019 alone, #3 class, three of the best players are out/gone. Not to mention Derrian Brown. All those guys would be seeing time if here/healthy.

Do genrally agree that even if you say Texas has top 15 talent as opposed to top 10, the talent gap isn't crazy big. Texas has won with bigger talent defecits and LSU has lost with bigger advantages. Only Bama, Ohio State, and by now maybe Clemson and Georgia are loaded with top 5 classes all the way through the depth chart. And obviously recruiting rankings are good for no more than a rough proxy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I question whether orgeron will continue to let this happen if the game is close.  I'm sure he wasn't saying anything about the play calling when you win by 30, but if it's tied or within a touch down going into the 4th, is he going to go back to what be is comfortable with?  

He can't change the call if no one understands him on the headset.

He had the kind of speech that made you slip down a side street and make believe you didn’t just hear him swallow his own tongue.  

I played a video of him of talking for my wife who is an advanced degree and published Speech Therapist.  She noted that every year, the state of Louisiana spends less per campus on speech therapy services than any other state in the nation. That’s saying something. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Wipe the mud off your feet (that's what the welcome mat is for) and come on in and grab a beer.  If you're willing to talk football you will do just fine here.  If you're just talking shit you may as well turn around now.  Just leave your silly memes at home.  I've seen a bunch of them while skimming LSU boards.  Will address the worst and most prevalent right up front here:

Meme #1:  LSU is much more talented – LSU is slightly more talented.  Average ranking of the last 4 recruiting classes is 7.25 for LSU and 9.5 for Texas.  2 spots in the rankings is not much of an edge and the difference is entirely due to the 2017 transition class.

Meme #2:  This game reminds me of Miami last year - If you actually think this you should check with your doctor for early onset Alzheimer’s.  Texas is more talented than Miami was and far better coached.  Miami was recruiting top 25 and stepped up with the #12 and #6 sophomore and freshman classes respectively.  Texas’ prior level was top 15 followed by back to back #3 classes.

Miami had a UGa reject as HC and a Texas reject as DC who was ridden out of town on a rail mid-season.  _iaz was so badly abused by Big XII OCs he had to spend years in conferences with inferior offenses like the ACC and SEC rebuilding his reputation.  Texas has a HC who steps up in big games.  Tom Herman was 5-2 against the top 25 in 2018 and 6-0 at UH.  We also have a top notch DC instead of the guy who made Taysom Hill look like Cam Newton.

Meme #3:  The Georgia Southern game was so impressive – Actually it’s very much like what happened the last time LSU faced a team on that level.  The major differences between last weekend and the Rice game during the November bye week were two: LSU actually was able to run the ball effectively last year and they went +2 in TO margin this year instead of -1 resulting in quicker scores.

So it’s impressive until you consider the quality of the opponent.  LSU’s offense often looks unstoppable against bad teams.  It’s impressive until you remember that last year’s offense did essentially the same thing to a different over matched scrub.  It’s impressive until you realize that 70% of the passes were within 5 yds of the LOS and half within 2 yds of the line.  A lot of those are going to be minimal gains or TFLs against a real defense.

Thank you for the welcome.  I invite all of the UT faithful to visit tigerdroppings.  Much fun banter to be had.  Ignore the name callers and vulgarians.

Cheers.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Its a fair point. Look no further than 2017. The reason we lost to Troy was because Orgeron meddled with the offense and told Canada to stop with all the motions. The result was a terrible display of offense... I do think he has hitched his wagon onto Ensminger, one of his best friends and someone who he is super comfortable. He has 100% given the offense to Ensminger, and Ensminger has basically given Joe Brady the reigns.

Just now, geauxpack81 said:

Its a fair point. Look no further than 2017. The reason we lost to Troy was because Orgeron meddled with the offense and told Canada to stop with all the motions. The result was a terrible display of offense... I do think he has hitched his wagon onto Ensminger, one of his best friends and someone who he is super comfortable. He has 100% given the offense to Ensminger, and Ensminger has basically given Joe Brady the reigns.

I agree with this.  If Eaux meddles and screws things up...again...it could be his arse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geauxpack81 said:

And for your last point I'll just disagree. For starters, Ga Southern would destroy Rice. But that aside, its true that LSU’s offense has looked good against bad teams in the past, but it was completely different. Rather than dominate with downhill runs and play action passes, we dominated by spreading the ball around and throwing quick passes. You may look at that as a negative (given your last comment) but realize that we haven't seen an offense do that since 2007. It is precisely why we were ecstatic leaving the game. 

If LSU had ALSO run the ball well or even reasonably so, I think you would have good cause for optimism.  To me it looks like LSU is stronger in the passing game but weaker with the run.

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

If LSU had ALSO run the ball well or even reasonably so, I think you would have good cause for optimism.  To me it looks like LSU is stronger in the passing game but weaker with the run.

Missing our starting LT, I'm not super concerned just yet. Clyde Edwards-Helaire played well enough. Then we had little Fournette, who will primarily be used on 3rd downs as a pass catcher out the backfield going forward, but I'm sure they just wanted to get him some carries. Then 2 true freshmen playing their first game at RB. 

I think the thing you didn't see last week, that you will 100% see this week is Burrow in the rushing game. It will help the other RBs a ton, when Burrow starts getting attention on the keepers.

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The attrition Texas has faced out of those past four classes make gap in recruiting/ talent slightly bigger than OP is letting on. For 2019 alone, #3 class, three of the best players are out/gone. Not to mention Derrian Brown. All those guys would be seeing time if here/healthy.

Do genrally agree that even if you say Texas has top 15 talent as opposed to top 10, the talent gap isn't crazy big. Texas has won with bigger talent defecits and LSU has lost with bigger advantages. Only Bama, Ohio State, and by now maybe Clemson and Georgia are loaded with top 5 classes all the way through the depth chart. And obviously recruiting rankings are good for no more than a rough proxy.

So, you're saying that LSU has not had any attrition from its classes?

And just wanted to point out that '19 would be the LEAST important of the recent recruiting classes to this year's game.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

You might want to type up a Cajun translation since they no se hable ingles.

1 hour ago, Big Frog II said:

Do you have translators standing by?  I don't think they speak English.

Damn.  Knew I'd forgotten something.  And just to be clear, by memes I'm talking about the thought process not your grandmothers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, you're saying that LSU has not had any attrition from its classes?

And just wanted to point out that '19 would be the LEAST important of the recent recruiting classes to this year's game.

Don't be an obtuse homer. I'm sure LSU has had attrition but I'd bet it isn't on par with what Texas has seen over the past four years. From a quick look at 247, highly ranked guys (which matters when using recruiting rankings as a proxy for talent as OP is) and/or contributors that are no longer with the program or out indefinitely: Pat Hudson, Erik Fowler, Jordan Elliot, Jean DeLance, Shane Buchele, Chris Daniels, Kyle Porter, LJH, RHM, Toniel Carter, Gary Johnson, Cam Rising, Mike Grandy, Mike Williams (only including bc he went to LSU), Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, DGF, and Derrian Brown.

That's 19 players - a small recruiting class worth - almost all of whom have moved on already. And that list isn't all encompassing, it's just the 4/5-stars (again, matters when using it as a talent proxy) and guys that contributed or that likely would be having some role in the LSU game (looking at you RBs). If you or someone else wants to dig deeper and disprove the idea that the LSU average recruiting level should be looked at with a similar grain of salt, be my guest. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

It is precisely because of said attrition that the guys Texas is missing from the 2019 class do in fact matter. Who among Bru McCoy, DGF, Whittington, and Brown wouldn't be playing if available? I also pointed out 2019 because OP was factoring its #3 class ranking into the average class rank for Texas, which brings it closer to LSU, when that class is significantly diminished for the purpose of evaluating talent for this game.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, geauxpack81 said:

Missing our starting LT, I'm not super concerned just yet. Clyde Edwards-Helaire played well enough. Then we had little Fournette, who will primarily be used on 3rd downs as a pass catcher out the backfield going forward, but I'm sure they just wanted to get him some carries. Then 2 true freshmen playing their first game at RB. 

I think the thing you didn't see last week, that you will 100% see this week is Burrow in the rushing game. It will help the other RBs a ton, when Burrow starts getting attention on the keepers.

Looking forward to seeing Ossai give Burrow some attention. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Don't be an obtuse homer. I'm sure LSU has had attrition but I'd bet it isn't on par with what Texas has seen over the past four years. From a quick look at 247, highly ranked guys (which matters when using recruiting rankings as a proxy for talent as OP is) and/or contributors that are no longer with the program or out indefinitely: Pat Hudson, Erik Fowler, Jordan Elliot, Jean DeLance, Shane Buchele, Chris Daniels, Kyle Porter, LJH, RHM, Toniel Carter, Gary Johnson, Cam Rising, Mike Grandy, Mike Williams (only including bc he went to LSU), Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington, DGF, and Derrian Brown.

That's 19 players - a small recruiting class worth - almost all of whom have moved on already. And that list isn't all encompassing, it's just the 4/5-stars (again, matters when using it as a talent proxy) and guys that contributed or that likely would be having some role in the LSU game (looking at you RBs). If you or someone else wants to dig deeper and disprove the idea that the LSU average recruiting level should be looked at with a similar grain of sale, be my guest. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

It is precisely because of said attrition that the guys Texas is missing from the 2019 class do in fact matter. Who among Bru McCoy, DGF, Whittington, and Brown wouldn't be playing if available? I also pointed out 2019 because OP was factoring its #3 class ranking into the average class rank for Texas, which brings it closer to LSU, when that class is significantly diminished for the purpose of evaluating talent for this game.

I'm not being an obtuse homer.  I am merely pointing out that if you are going to assert that the gap is probably greater due to our attrition you are being rather incomplete if you do not examine their attrition as well.  Otherwise, one might accuse you of being a Bohls-like anti-homer.

It's kinda like over the weekend when Austin sportscaster Bob Ballou, in a story on Verlander's no-no against Toronto, asserted that Verlander's three career no-nos would be five if he had converted on the two other times he carried one into the ninth inning, putting him within striking distance of Nolan Ryan's seven.  Not only is that irrelevant, he also neglected to mention that in addition to Ryan's seven no-hitters, he also took no-hitters into the ninth on five other occasions.  

You can easily shade things one direction when you only look at one side.

28 minutes ago, geauxpack81 said:

Will Charles be out vs Texas? I was assuming they will mix and match four cupcake games for his suspension.

40 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

If LSU had ALSO run the ball well or even reasonably so, I think you would have good cause for optimism.  

If we actually had running backs we would have a little more good cause for all of the optimism flowing on these boards as well :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

My impression is that there is no Plan B; this is the offense.  While they could line up in an I formation if they needed to because they still have the personnel to do so, I think (and hope) it'll be our new spread offense come hell or high water. 

LSU of old has both dominated and struggled in games like last Saturday.  What really impressed me (that is applicable even though it was Georgia Southern) was the lack of pre-snap penalties, everyone appearing to be on the same page throughout/not looking around confused, and the quickness that the staff got the plays in.  No doubt that will all be harder on Saturday, but it was clear that they've done a great job installing the offense this summer.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Brain Hanger said:

My impression is that there is no Plan B; this is the offense.  While they could line up in an I formation if they needed to because they still have the personnel to do so, I think (and hope) it'll be our new spread offense come hell or high water. 

LSU of old has both dominated and struggled in games like last Saturday.  What really impressed me (that is applicable even though it was Georgia Southern) was the lack of pre-snap penalties, everyone appearing to be on the same page throughout/not looking around confused, and the quickness that the staff got the plays in.  No doubt that will all be harder on Saturday, but it was clear that they've done a great job installing the offense this summer.

Screen_Shot_2017_03_24_at_2.18.18_PM.png