Big 12 Power Rankings 2019

gmr548

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

It's worth mentioning that Baylor's starting QB went down in the 4th qtr on Saturday. The backup came in and did a good job but KState had not game planned for him. He's a runner in the mold of Jett Duffey, imho. TTech will have all week to prepare for both QB's. It's going to be homecoming for Baylor this week so there will be that added hype factor for the home team. No idea what to expect, could be a high scoring shootout or a lopsided loss for one of these teams. Tech winning would definitely reshuffle the deck.

Baylor was already winning pretty handily when that happened and Tech needed 5 TOs to win by 10. Maybe Duffey can sustain their offensive production, but they also lost to a really bad Arizona team by 14. Anything can happen, but Baylor is a heavy favorite in that game.

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Baylor was already winning pretty handily when that happened and Tech needed 5 TOs to win by 10. Maybe Duffey can sustain their offensive production, but they also lost to a really bad Arizona team by 14. Anything can happen, but Baylor is a heavy favorite in that game.

Arizona isn't really bad. They lost to a decent Hawaii team and haven't lost since. You can tell me that the other 4 teams all suck, and that's fine. They still beat each of them. They're at 4-1, 1st in their division and the QB is looking closer to 2017 than 2018 as a player. I don't think Tech's loss to them, in Tucson and late at night, is that dreadful of a loss. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Arizona isn't really bad. They lost to a decent Hawaii team and haven't lost since. You can tell me that the other 4 teams all suck, and that's fine. They still beat each of them. They're at 4-1, 1st in their division and the QB is looking closer to 2017 than 2018 as a player. I don't think Tech's loss to them, in Tucson and late at night, is that dreadful of a loss. 

Arizona is probably going to be a 6-6 team, maybe 7-5, with a decently easy schedule. Tech losing to them by 14 while winning the TO battle and getting Significantly outgained isn’t good, but we’ll see. The season’s still young.
Duffey did look pretty good against OSU,  they’re not likely to be +5 in TOs again this season. If they even only win the TO battle by 3, they likely lose that game. 

Either way, Baylor is and should be the heavy favorite next week.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

I've been down on Baylor the whole way. They played no one in the non-con. The offense is meh. They don't have a ton of talent on the field. But they get after it on defense. Credit where it is due. I'd rank them 3rd overall now, and that's after having them 7th two weeks ago. 
I feel like it is Texas and OU, then Baylor, and then the fall off is real afterwards. ISU hasn't done anything new to validate the preseason hype. They're a decent to good team that will play everyone tough. 
Oklahoma State is the 3rd best team when they don't shit themselves with turnovers, but so be it, that's what they did. Immaturity is a thing here. 
I don't know what to make of KSU and TCU at this point. TCU has no OL and no QB. That probably means they're headed to 7-5. I *think* KSU is tough, but I don't know how far that takes them, I guess.
WVU is better than Tech and KU. Maybe they figure out a way to eek out a bowl, but I assume they're a 5-7 team. 
It's funny, it seems like OU's been doing this thing where they look great and then come into the Cotton Bowl and Texas punches them in the mouth, and then it is anyone's game. People claiming OU is far and away ahead of Texas have a higher opinion of their schedule than anyone I know.

Agreed on Baylor and OSU. I was not on the preseason hype train and I'm not sure I buy them as a top 25, third best team in the conference, etc. But ISU and OSU have both failed to assert themselves in that spot. Feel like Baylor gets it by default. I think OSU is the third best team in the league by a significant margin if they bring their A game. Unfortunately they didn't bring anything close to that last week. Still wouldn't surprise me if they regroup and hit a roll after the bye and show up to bedlam 8-3 or 9-2. Then again, Sanders is looking like 2017 Sam in terms of ball security and that didn't get any better over the course of the year, so they may be held back by turnovers all year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think the gap between the top 1-2 teams and that middle group of 3, 4, and 5 teams is not as big as some people think. It's still colllege football and there's upsets waiting to happen. I don't see our the games against Baylor and ISU as automatic.  

Neither is automatic because, like you said, it's college football and weird things can happen. But the talent/athleticism gap is real. It was evident vs WVU and OSU despite those games being competitive and it will continue to be evident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Neither is automatic because, like you said, it's college football and weird things can happen. But the talent/athleticism gap is real. It was evident vs WVU and OSU despite those games being competitive and it will continue to be evident.

Plenty of guys blossom during college and become quite a bit more than what they were projected to be by the recruiting gurus but, imho, where recruiting really starts to matter is in the 2 and 3 deep. When you can bring guys in to give the starter a breather and the drop off isn't what it is for the #'s 3-10 schools then you have a better chance of grinding out a game that may not be going so great. It's why judging those schools pecking order can be so difficult and it's often where you're going to see surprising wins/losses. It comes down to what teams can better withstand the rigors of a full season and the inevitable injuries.

5 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

I think the gap between the top 1-2 teams and that middle group of 3, 4, and 5 teams is not as big as some people think. It's still colllege football and there's upsets waiting to happen. I don't see our the games against Baylor and ISU as automatic.  

And OU hasn't played anyone with a pulse.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Arizona started out as a pretty bad team, but they play hard, and they don't quit. As a result, they are gaining confidence, and I think they'll be pretty good by the end of the season. The way they kept working against Tech and ended up widening a lead was impressive to me.

Mazzone isn't a bad OC, and they are getting a lot out of their players. I think Sumlin can attract some talent if they keep it up. To me, their Achilles heel is Khalil Tate. He can be great and he can be reckless. As he goes, they go.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

EGSVFI4XkAAyt12?format=jpg&name=medium

Compared to this weekend, week 8 sucks for big matchups across all leagues.

Week 8 should be interesting for the Big12 though and how the middle of the league shakes out. 

Other games of interest:

+ maybe Pedo State vs Meat chicken.

+ SMU vs Temple.

Maybe Utah vs Arizona St?

—— Sorry for the aside.

OU - they are good

Gap

Texas - the defense isn't the problem at the moment. Graduations + injuries, they'll get it right. I don't understand the offensive struggles. Best OL in the conference, great skill guys, and then just seems like it can't get it all together.

ISU - Seems like it takes them 4 or 5 games for them to get right, they are pulling it together now. I still really distrust their OL and their skill positions aren't good, but they have the best defensive front in the league.

Baylor - They just lost their best defensive player for the reason w/ the LB, they are down their best OL, and their QB is banged up. They have a really good starting 22 and some elite pieces, but the depth isn't there at all. There's a chance they could sneak in to the title game, but Texas and ISU seem like better overall rosters.

Gap

Tech - Their coaching staff is the real deal. No idea if they can recruit, but I loved their game plan against Baylor yesterday. 

OSU - They are a year away. Elite offense, terrihorribad defense. Would be surprised if they don't beat Baylor on Saturday.

KSU - Solid all around, much more dangerous in Manhattan than on the road. Underwhelming athletically.

TCU - No QB

Gap

WVU - Meh

Gap

Kansas -  oh no

OU - Only LSU has looked better nationally, IMO.

Gap

UT - Absolutely a Top 10-15 squad. A couple close losses to what are the two best squads in the country, IMO. Injuries starting to be a factor.

Gap

BU - I think lack of depth will catch up with them, but they’re taking care of business for now.

ISU - offense is rounding into shape and taking off. Brock Purdy might be the 2nd best QB in the league. Defense is maintaining despite some injuries.

Gap

Tech - Stout defense, and Jet Duffey has some moxie. Matt Wells is doing really well thus far.

OK State - underachieving. Hubbard is a phenom, Sanders is raw, defense isn’t great.

Gap

TCU - QB issues are the main story here, but the defense is clearly not up to the Patterson par.

KSU - They are who we thought they were.

Gap

WVU - It’s a rebuild, period.

Gap

KU - May the circle be unbroken.

1.  Oklahoma

2.  Baylor

3.  Iowa State

4.  Texas

5.  Texas Tech

6.  OK State

7.  K-State

8.  TCU

9.  WVU

10.  Kansas

KU has an OOC P5 win.  WVU has an OOC P5 win.  TCU has an OOC P5 win.  K-State has an OOC P5 win.  OSU has an OOC P5 win.  None of those are great OOC wins but they're solid.  Top to bottom the conference is pretty good this year.  If ISU hadn't lost that Iowa game in such crushing fashion, I think the national guys would be noticing how good the league is this year.  

I think my confusion regarding the Big XII stems from a simple fact: I can't fathom what the stats and standings say and view Baylor as a legitimate borderline Top ~12 team, because it just seems too absurd. But if you stipulate that fact, all of a sudden a lot of conference muddle makes way way more sense. K-State doesn't suck because Baylor whipped them by 3 scores, Baylor is just a great team and KState was adjusting to a new coach. OSU does not, in fact, suck ass because Baylor ran away with it in the 4th. ISU is not a shit team because OSU beat them at home and Baylor ass whipped them for 55 minutes in their game, they are just a really good team that hung in but ultimately lost to a borderline great team. So, stipulating that .....

OU - Their EPA rankings were still really good from yesterday. They just aren't in that top tier of Alabama / Ohio State / LSU. Me putting Baylor in this group has more to do with my reluctant admittance Baylor might just be a legit great team.

Baylor - Fuck 'em, but Rhule can coach.

Gap

OSU - I think they have the highest variance of any team in the conference because of Sanders. Could absolutely beat OU, could absolutely get housed by TCU.

ISU - OLine issues reared their heads yesterday. 

KState - Farmageddon is gonna be fucking lit. Can't wait for that game. Great win by them yesterday, and their staff put together just an absolute jewel of a gameplan.

TCU - I mean I think they suck, just not as much as the next team.

Texas - We're through the looking glass, the defense is absolute ass and won't get better this season barring major injury recovery.

Gap

Tech - The single worst "what the fuck just happened?" moment since Baylor lost to UNLV in /'99 when they fucked up the kneel down and gave up a 99 yard TD return to lose the game. This team is punchy and people like them, but they just don't have the horses yet.

WVU 

Kansas - They still suck major ass, but they aren't an abomination.

Damn, this conference is really really good top to bottom.

• Like 1

Lol. Thanks bud, but OU still has more upside than us this year. Would love to see myself proven wrong, but we gotta wait a few weeks.

I think OU is better than you. I think we probably are 50% of the time.

But right now you’re the only unbeaten and that has to count for something
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think OU is better than you. I think we probably are 50% of the time.

But right now you’re the only unbeaten and that has to count for something

Ya, I always rank the teams by how I think they'll end up. Seeing us atop the standings is great, but if I were betting I'd say OU is there at season's end. If Baylor can get to the conference title game and have a shot I'll be damn happy obviously.

• Like 1

Underdogs 4-0 straight up yesterday. It's well documented how poorly run this league is but it's a damn fun football conference from a competitive standpoint.

1.) OU - They dropped a league game on the road against a decent opponent. It happens to most top 5-10 teams in a given year. I still think they're the best top to bottom and haven't seen quite enough out of Baylor to crown them.

2.) Baylor: At least get to move into OU's tier. Huge winner yesterday just by by not playing. Take care of business against WVU at home off a bye and they can afford to go 1-2 vs more athletically talented OU/Texas and big rival TCU and still make it to Arlington.

Gap

I think you could put these five in almost any order. It's honestly hard to arrange them. I'll weight recent results a bit more. It looks like this group will all deal losses to one another, and while most won't finish the job, are capable of beating OU/Baylor in a given week.

3.) OSU
4.) KSU
5.) ISU
6.) TCU
7.) Texas

Gap

8.) WVU
9.) Kansas - Welcome to life outside of your own tier for last place!
10.) Tech

• Like 2

There isn’t a hotter team in the conference than KU right now. Moral victories left and right and one real one hahaha. Suck our taints!

question, if Baylor ends up undefeated do they get in the playoff? I tend to believe not but a lot of teams are going to have a loss by then and Baylor would have 3 ranked wins including a CCG. 

Edited by Jhawk

19 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

There isn’t a hotter team in the conference than KU right now. Moral victories left and right and one real one hahaha. Suck our taints!

question, if Baylor ends up undefeated do they get in the playoff? I tend to believe not but a lot of teams are going to have a loss by then and Baylor would have 3 ranked wins including a CCG. 

Yes. They are in if they win all their games.

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Underdogs 4-0 straight up yesterday. It's well documented how poorly run this league is but it's a damn fun football conference from a competitive standpoint.

Yeah that is my deal. The Big 12 is a great sports league except for the fact that the Big 12 keeps getting in the way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was really hoping we could find a way into the CCG and beat an undefeated Baylor to crush their playoff hopes.

We would have to win out to do that. Highly unlikely.

Looking at schedules, I see K-State as the most likely team to make the CCG after Baylor and OU, simply because they have already defeated OU. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone other than OU winning out at this point, though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

1. If we go undefeated, absolutely we are in the playoffs

2. We are not going undefeated

8 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Looking at schedules, I see K-State as the most likely team to make the CCG after Baylor and OU, simply because they have already defeated OU. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone other than OU winning out at this point, though.

If I were betting on it I'd say OU is more likely to win out than not 

Agreed.

I think OU is still really good and will probably butt fuck everyone left.

End up out of the playoffs and just thrashing whatever SEC team misses the playoffs in the Sugar Bowl.

I hope we don’t crater in Norman in a few weeks. I hate everything about the way that’s coming together.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

1. If we go undefeated, absolutely we are in the playoffs

2. We are not going undefeated

I’m not so sure. Assuming you have an undefeated Clemson and OSU. An undefeated bama or LSU and then the other team being 1 loss bama/LSU then I think Baylor gets left out. Not because Baylor doesn’t deserve it but because of SECSECSEC. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

Tech - The single worst "what the fuck just happened?" moment since Baylor lost to UNLV in /'99 when they fucked up the kneel down and gave up a 99 yard TD return to lose the game. This team is punchy and people like them, but they just don't have the horses yet.

God bless you, sir.

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

At this point, I think the best we can all hope for is an undefeated Baylor losing in the CCG to a 2 loss team, causing them to fall from the playoffs to the Alamo Bowl. They already have tiebreakers over KSU and ISU so I think they would have to lose 3 games to miss the CCG.

A 12-1 BU team (lol yeah right) would be in a NY6 game if they lost the CCG. I find it impossible to rank 3 through 7 right now, but guessing the bowl line-up is more fun.

Sugar: OU

Alamo: Baylor

Camping World: Iowa State

Texas: UT

Liberty: KSU

Cheez-It: Oklahoma State

First Responder: TCU

Staying at home: WVU, Tech, KU

I'll take a shot:

1) OU

2a) Baylor

2b) Iowa State

4-7 are very close:

4) TCU

5) Texas

6) Kansas State

7) Oklahoma St

Gap

8 Tech

9) Kansas

10) WVU

Baylor will drop 2 to OU/TCU/TX.

OU still has another loss.

Big 12 is probably getting left out this year, but honestly it's due to having 7 pretty good teams all playing each other.