Texas opens as an 11 point favorite @ West Virginia

TexasMan

This team isn’t the same as previous teams. We will stomp WVU because we’re going to contrOL the LOS on both sides.

Did that against OSU and needed Sam to pull a 3rd and 9 out of his hat in the final minute to win.

We haven't seen this team on the road yet.

This staff has a trademark on dumbfounding losses.

I'm not that worried because I agree with your general point - superior line play travels well - but all the ingredients for a tougher than expected game are there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Did that against OSU and needed Sam to pull a 3rd and 9 out of his hat in the final minute to win.

I'm not that worried because I agree with your general point - superior line play travels well - but all the ingredients for a tougher than expected game are there.

I mean, if we drop two punts again I think we've got some structural issues none of us actually think are there.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We played well enough to beat OSU by 20+ Without the fluke muffed punts, and OSU is miles better than WVU. I think people are really underestimating how bad WVU is this year. Kansas outgained them and beat them by over 2 YPP. That’s a massive gap and more times than not, Kansas wins that game against WVU.

If we play the same kind of game as we did OSU, even with the muffed pints, we should still beat WVU by 20. 

• Like 1

All of our conference games have been close, but we typically have big enough leads in just about all of them where we try to run out the clock. We are not good at running out the clock. 

At some point we should have about a 4 TD lead against WVU. It might end up closer than it should be, but not close enough to be a threat.

I just can't figure out how Texas doesn't win this convincingly... (and reason I cannot place a bet on them.. when can't tell... I trust Vegas)

Texas should be able to shut down a weak WV rushing attack. I'll take my changes with Orlando getting to the QB early and often.  Defense should be good for points or a couple turnovers. Offense should be able to run or pass on WV.  Assuming (big ass assume) we either don't field punts or actually catch them I don't see how Texas doesn't run away with this one. This should be a good game for the Defense to really shine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Collin Cowturd taking West Virginia +10.5 as one of his lock bets this week.
  • Cowturd also took Michigan -3.5 over Iowa
  • And he took Auburn -2.5 over Florida

In fairness to him, if you look at TH's track record in gamez lile this, underperformance has been the norm.  As fans we can see reason for things to be different now but like most casual observers he has to go on past performance.

Beyond that I can't criticize Cowherd in general.  He's one of the few national media types who actually loves college sports and gives it time and attention equal to or better than the NFL.  He also doesn't mind criticizing and riling up OU and aggy on occasion.  He's not the blatant SEC shill some of these guys are.  Yeah, he loves USC, but he's not been shy to give props to UT in the past when it was deserved.  It just hasn't been deserved in a long time.  He also loves Austin so he has good taste.

Edited by nunna yo bizness

45 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Classic trap game - our shitty pass defense offers little to no resistance and could keep WV in the game. 

Notice how the rate of your predictions drops drastically based on how good our team is?
I bet you miss Chuck, so you could at least get something right now and then.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

In fairness to him, if you look at TH's track record in gamez lile this, underperformance has been the norm.  As fans we can see reason for things to be different now but like most casual observers he has to go on past performance.

Whiny people like to talk about Herman’s “track record in games like this.” I think that’s way overblown. This is literally his 5th year as a HC. There really isn’t much of a track record. We lost last year because of injuries, not because we didn’t show up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Whiny people like to talk about Herman’s “track record in games like this.” I think that’s way overblown. This is literally his 5th year as a HC. There really isn’t much of a track record. We lost last year because of injuries, not because we didn’t show up. 

He did run the up with a lead Herman offense against Tulsa (including running the same play  3 times in row in the fourth to fail) and against Oklahoma going into coast mode almost cost us.   I don’t doubt his playing not to lose might cost us a game like this...   But if it’s not coached like anyone who has watched tape thinks it will go, we should cover easy.

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And we won the Tulsa and Oklahoma games, so neither of those is even an example of what people whine about as Herman’s “track record in games like this.”

I think those are exact examples of track record in games like this, both could of been put away but he played not to lose, that’s the track record.........    A track record is running the same play three times in s row with a lead and playing it Uber safe with a lead.  I give credit to Herman where it needs but play calling with a lead is a weak point in his coaching so far for sure.  

People have been talking about Herman losing to lesser teams that he shouldn’t, as if he has a long history of that. That’s what I’m referriing to.

His attempts to slow the game down with a lead is a different issue. I agree that he needs to cut that shit out. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

People have been talking about Herman losing to lesser teams that he shouldn’t, as if he has a long history of that. That’s what I’m referriing to.

His attempts to slow the game down with a lead is a different issue. I agree that he needs to cut that shit out. 

See the 2016 loss to SMU, and the losses to Maryland the last couple years... he does have a history of random bad losses.

Edited by lulz
  • Like 2

See the 2016 loss to SMU, and the losses to Maryland the last couple years... he does have a history of random bad losses.

That shit happens to everyone that has a thin roster. It doesn’t happen to teams that are super talented everywhere and have depth. Those teams have off games but still win. Hopefully Ok State game was an example of us getting to that point.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jet black said:

That shit happens to everyone that has a thin roster. It doesn’t happen to teams that are super talented everywhere and have depth. Those teams have off games but still win. Hopefully Ok State game was an example of us getting to that point.

Tom Herman is also probably still growing as a coach, so he might be able to do a better job of getting the team ready for games like that going forward.

I'm pretty sure his teams in those three games were more talented than the teams they lost to, though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lulz said:

I don’t disagree with that, but he’s been a HC for five years, so we’re not talking about a major trend. I also think that if you look closely at most of those games, they had key injuries that were big factors. I believe they had huge OL injuries when Houston lost to SMU and Navy, and WV last year. Maryland was different, but I don’t see it as a bunch of data points. Guess we’ll see. 

15 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I keep checking the line every day, and it keeps fluctuating between 10 and 11, but the over/under keeps rising. It's now at 61.

So Texas 37ish WVU 24ish

24ish is too generous.  I don't want to say it but I also don't believe it.  

Hold them shits to 9,  mmmmaaayybe 14.

Maryland x2
Tech 2017
OSU 2018

That's just at Texas. It's well documented at Houston as well.

24ish is too generous.  I don't want to say it but I also don't believe it.  
Hold them shits to 9,  mmmmaaayybe 14.

WVU is bad so it's possible but I don't think the defense has earned the trust to predict them holding a team under two TDs.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

WVU is bad so it's possible but I don't think the defense has earned the trust to predict them holding a team under two TDs.

The starters played great against La Tech and Rice.  And they played at an elite level against Okie State, who has a very good offense.  It is not their fault that special teams fuck ups gave them two touchdowns.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

The starters played great against La Tech and Rice.  And they played at an elite level against Okie State, when Oklahoma State was in the redzone, who has a very good offense.  It is not their fault that special teams fuck ups gave them two touchdowns.

Fify.

50 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Our young and thin secondary allows a team with some ability to throw it deep a chance to hang with us even if we dominate on the LOS and score lots of points.

WVU hasn't shown an ability to throw deep consistently. I think we cover.

This.

Their deep passing game is really bad.  So long as we don't bail them out with PIs, that's not a big component of WVU's offense this year.