austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

Man oh man.....

I rarely listen to sports talk radio any more.

I do listen sometimes in the morning during college football season but that is about it.

Never understood why no one ever did a Sunday morning show to recap the previous day's college football games.

Everything on Sunday is NFL only.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Everyone trying to fill the gap now.

it's fashionable to hate ketch because he's a big dummy, and i was never a real fan of him doing radio because he sucks at it. he also sucks at internet posting.

however, orangebloods has the perfect cache and built in market for a podcast or something. why is taken geoff so long to figure that out is a mystery

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Man oh man.....

I do listen sometimes in the morning during college football season but that is about it.

Never understood why no one ever did a Sunday morning show to recap the previous day's college football games.

i suck at multiquote apparently.

fantasy football and gambling is the reason, as @AUS-97HORN pointed out. the audience for both of those is easily larger than anyone waking up for more college content. also, pregame hype is twice as valuable as post game breakdown. 

so while, i agree with you, i would like more sunday morning/afternoon college talk, the market has decided that monday is alright for that, mostly, and we are the outlier freakshows.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Man oh man.....

SiriusXM College Sports Radio/ESPNU (Ch 84) does a pretty good Sunday morning recap show every week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Nightfly said:

I’ll check it out for sure. BK making moves. An audio-only live feed would help. 

There are free Android apps that will play youtube audio-only that bypass the youtube preroll ads and VOD ads, and yes, they even play *live* youtube feeds.

If you have an iPhone, you'd have to pay either way, either for yt-premium or pay for an app that does the same things.

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i guess i don't get the hate but I've been listening to him for two decades now. he's got his bits and he's stuck with them maybe too long but he's a solid radio host. 

the horn's problem is guardrails. stay (mostly) on topic and the content takes care of itself. but they never have and i'm not sure why. 

Guardrails was what always annoyed me about The Ticket 1310AM and The Fan KRLD-FM 105.3FM in Dallas (talking about anything but sports) -- they are even worse than The Horn was. 

28 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

There are free Android apps that will play youtube audio-only that bypass the youtube preroll ads and VOD ads, and yes, they even play *live* youtube feeds.

If you have an iPhone, you'd have to pay either way, either for yt-premium or pay for an app that does the same things.

Good point on the options. Brave Browser for IOS will continue to play youtube audio in the background or with the screen off (may require a few tweaks in settings). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dear lord.  In a city that's paraded out some unlistenable sports radio duos over the last decade or so, we may have a first ballot hall of fame entry.

Pretty sure Chad has worked with Ketch on the radio before, just not sure when or where

12 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

104.9, many years ago. 

It was an afternoon drivetime show, "Afternoons with Geoff & Chad", IIRC.

So now both of them have been fired by 104.9, as Geoff said today.

They were doing a show at 1300 The Zone at one time as well.

Anybody remember when Chad, Kevin Dunne and Major did a show together?

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The CIA will use this for interrogation and it will 20 years later come up in congressional hearings about violating international torture policies. 

You don’t like when “Ketch” does those nutty analogies that start “I finally figured out who this group of Longhorn receivers is…. Remember the cast of ‘Blade 2’?? Not Blade, but Blade 2…. Stick with me….” then you look and wonder how that revolver wound uo in your mouth?

The CIA will use this for interrogation and it will 20 years later come up in congressional hearings about violating international torture policies. 

If they showed this to me and threatened to play it, I would talk immediately.
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is 101.9 not a thing?  I tuned in on my drive this morning and got some typical morning show.  I found E & Rod via the app.

Interesting.  Maybe you were picking up the San Antonio Q101.9?  Googles tells me it's the Kidd Kraddick show in the morning.  If the Austin 101.9 signal is really that weak, that sucks.

Is 101.9 not a thing?  I tuned in on my drive this morning and got some typical morning show.  I found E & Rod via the app.

It’s a weak signal in Williamson County, so most people in Austin won’t hear it and will pick up something else with a stronger signal.

18 hours ago, demos said:

It’s a weak signal in Williamson County, so most people in Austin won’t hear it and will pick up something else with a stronger signal.

i tried this morning and i heard about three seconds of rod talking about aliens or something in between static and another radio station in central austin.  it appears to be fairly pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1