austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

40 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Good sports talk this morning.  I was listening on the app which sounds great and Erin and Rod were talking to some guy from Dave Campbell's Texas Football.  It will have to do.  No other real options.

The problem with this is that if I'm going to go to Bluetooth and pull something up on my phone it sure as shit isn't going to be local radio that's 40% ads. 

The medium is dead now AFAIC unless they find a better signal. 

Can you listen on 1260 AM?

• Hook 'Em 1

1260 sounds bad, like when I was a kid trying to listen to Astros games and a signal from a zany preacher’s broadcast from OKC or somewhere insanely far would randomly interrupt the feed.

BK and Bucky sound pretty good and seem to have their act together getting some advertisers.

During FB season, I’ll probably be bouncing around between apps/Youtube channels.

Between 1300, what’s left of The Horn and ESPN 102.7, I don’t think there’s going to be a winner this time. Everything’s too fractured now and there’s probably not enough ad money to go around for all of them to succeed apart. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Was driving earlier and tried 104.9 which used to to work for me. Not any more so I just got rid of it on my preset. Sad.

They aren't on 104.9 any longer. It's 101.9, which apparently is transmitting from some radio hobbyist's rooftop antenna on their house somewhere in Pflugerville.

What is the fucking point of even having a station if your signal is such shit that nobody can listen? I'm sure advertisers are just lining up. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

They aren't on 104.9 any longer. It's 101.9, which apparently is transmitting from some radio hobbyist's rooftop antenna on their house somewhere in Pflugerville.

What is the fucking point of even having a station if your signal is such shit that nobody can listen? I'm sure advertisers are just lining up. 

Apparently it is perfectly situation to serve the burgeoning Texas Ex market in Belton.

1 hour ago, Lou Loomis said:

1260 sounds bad, like when I was a kid trying to listen to Astros games and a signal from a zany preacher’s broadcast from OKC or somewhere insanely far would randomly interrupt the feed.

BK and Bucky sound pretty good and seem to have their act together getting some advertisers.

During FB season, I’ll probably be bouncing around between apps/Youtube channels.

Between 1300, what’s left of The Horn and ESPN 102.7, I don’t think there’s going to be a winner this time. Everything’s too fractured now and there’s probably not enough ad money to go around for all of them to succeed apart. 

What?

7 hours ago, Lou Loomis said:

Bucky doesn't even know he's no longer on 104.9. Probably thinks BK is back filling in for Hogan. 

5 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

My morning drive starts around 183/Mopac, takes me down 183 to 35, then 35 to the campus area.  I can't get a clear signal on 101.9 throughout the entire drive.  I'm sure the owners don't understand how they could have failed having an Austin radio station that can't be heard in Austin.

Well it also doesn't come in at all from campus area, back to Mopac all the way south to SH45 area.  But hey crystal clear on the app!  Which is why this other group is putting together a competing app.  A lot will say fuck it, it wasn't all that great to listen to Austin sports talk anyway, and won't go through the trouble.

I'm not fucking with apps either for the most part. Between the long ass redundant intros, commercials and weird tangents, I can really only listen if I can quickly switch over to NPR or something else. I'm not toggling between apps etc when they go on a 30min rant about the Texans or Flex, or the NBA.

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I'm not fucking with apps either for the most part. Between the long ass redundant intros, commercials and weird tangents, I can really only listen if I can quickly switch over to NPR or something else. I'm not toggling between apps etc when they go on a 30min rant about the Texans or Flex, or the NBA.

It's as easy as toggling between bluetooth and FM. One button for me.

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Podcast is the way, not the app.  They release a separate podcast for each 1 hour portion of the show. It even gives you a description of what they talked about that hour so you can skip the basketball talk episodes.  And hardly any commercials. And you can skip ahead 30 seconds at a time to skip the commercial entirely for the few that do come on.  You just follow the show and the latest one is right there on your podcast app of choice when you open it.  If you drive a modern vehicle you don’t even have to take your phone out of your pocket and it’ll just pick up playing where it left off.  

I’m not getting their silly app either, but over-the-air radio is dead.  I have no more use for it than I do a newspaper. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m shocked how many people are bitching about using an app to listen to their preferred music genre or sports talk radio. It’s fucking simple.

More like bitching about having to put that in much effort to listen to mediocre sports radio (however minimal that effort may be) that supposedly should be available on, get this. the radio, but the station apparently decided a decent signal is one of the things a terrestrial radio station doesn't really need. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

More like bitching about having to put that in much effort to listen to mediocre sports radio (however minimal that effort may be) that supposedly should be available on, get this. the radio, but the station apparently decided a decent signal is one of the things a terrestrial radio station doesn't really need. 

Ok ok I’ll get off your lawn. Geez.

Seems like the way crap goes in this town.  Mediocre station gets popular, gets really popular, then turns into a Latino station.  Happened a lot during my HS and college years.  And all the Latino stations out of San Antonio bleed over the good stations here in Austin.  Half of Bob Cole's stations were overpowered by San Antonio stations.

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m shocked how many people are bitching about using an app to listen to their preferred music genre or sports talk radio. It’s fucking simple.

It's still easier to just hit FM when I get in the car and start driving than to hit Bluetooth and then find a podcast I like and skip the ads. Once I go to find something on my phone I'm sure as shit not going to play local sports radio. I suspect many people are just like me.

Their only selling point for me was I can get in the car and as soon as the car starts listen to what B and E have to say this morning. Then, if it sucks, or once I hit 5 mins of commercials, I might flip over to a podcast. 

Also - when I was driving Uber - I was in my car for hours at a time. I listened to a lot of fm radio because regardless of passenger I had in the car it was agreeable, and even if I was listening to my podcasts that may only chew up 3-4 hours during a day I was driving 10 hours.

There are plenty of people that do uber/lyft/amazon/doordash/project management you name it that are in their car for hours a day. Those people can't listen to local sports radio on fm now in a metro area of 2 million people. That's fucking stupid. 

Or - say I'm just driving 5-10 mins. There's no point in queuing up a 2 hour podcast. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's still easier to just hit FM when I get in the car and start driving than to hit Bluetooth and then find a podcast I like and skip the ads. Once I go to find something on my phone I'm sure as shit not going to play local sports radio. I suspect many people are just like me.

Their only selling point for me was I can get in the car and as soon as the car starts listen to what B and E have to say this morning. Then, if it sucks, or once I hit 5 mins of commercials, I might flip over to a podcast. 

Also - when I was driving Uber - I was in my car for hours at a time. I listened to a lot of fm radio because regardless of passenger I had in the car it was agreeable, and even if I was listening to my podcasts that may only chew up 3-4 hours during a day I was driving 10 hours.

There are plenty of people that do uber/lyft/amazon/doordash/project management you name it that are in their car for hours a day. Those people can't listen to local sports radio on fm now in a metro area of 2 million people. That's fucking stupid. 

Or - say I'm just driving 5-10 mins. There's no point in queuing up a 2 hour podcast. 

I will say that with the Horn app it doesn't play ads.  It just jumps into what is live.  Honestly, its pretty easy.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Lotta this. Dealing with phones is a pain in the ass. Even the bluetooth stuff kinda sucks as it's clunky to connect. Hell, I still use a CD player because I don't want to deal with cords, phones, bluetooth, etc. Put CD in slot, music plays.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lotta this. Dealing with phones is a pain in the ass. Even the bluetooth stuff kinda sucks as it's clunky to connect. Hell, I still use a CD player because I don't want to deal with cords, phones, bluetooth, etc. Put CD in slot, music plays.

I did put all CDs on a microSD card, which made accessing all my music even easier than popping a CD in. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I did put all CDs on a microSD card, which made accessing all my music even easier than popping a CD in. 

Good idea. I don't have that function in the truck.

So does the "new" horn not have afternoon shows?

I am using TuneIn in my car, because the signal is crap. In the morning its Erin and Rod Baber's show, which is actually fine, and honestly, and upgrade from B&E. 

But at lunch, it's Jim Rome (I think), and in the afternoon 4:00 hour, it's some national show when I use the TuneIn app to listen to the Horn. 

3 hours ago, hornian said:

So does the "new" horn not have afternoon shows?

I am using TuneIn in my car, because the signal is crap. In the morning its Erin and Rod Baber's show, which is actually fine, and honestly, and upgrade from B&E. 

But at lunch, it's Jim Rome (I think), and in the afternoon 4:00 hour, it's some national show when I use the TuneIn app to listen to the Horn. 

Rome 11a-2p

Rich Eisen 2p-5p

https://hornfm.com/on-air/

I had Hogan and Babers on in the office on Wednesday.  I got distracted by work and didn't realize it was 11 AM and their show was over.  All of a sudden I had Iggy Pop and Jim Rome's dumb ass blaring at me -- holy smokes, I had forgotten how utterly banal and annoying that guy is.  Who listens to him?  The new Chip and Zay show would be better, and they're gonna suck unimaginable ass.

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had Hogan and Babers on in the office on Wednesday.  I got distracted by work and didn't realize it was 11 AM and their show was over.  All of a sudden I had Iggy Pop and Jim Rome's dumb ass blaring at me -- holy smokes, I had forgotten how utterly banal and annoying that guy is.  Who listens to him?  The new Chip and Zay show would be better, and they're gonna suck unimaginable ass.

Jim Rome is almost 60 and still acts like that.