10.14.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

14 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

OU played really well and Texas played like absolute dog shit and lost by 7, Mack/Strong would have lost by 40. but fire everybody, fuck it

Yes but we still lose. It's not an adjusted stat, it's a loss, and most of them are small margins losses, but still a LOSS. We are not Collie Station.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Wait, we looked BAD against LSU? That's the best we've looked all season IMO.

We came out very unprepared offensively in both of these games.  2nd half offense adjustments were great.  Defense fucked us in both games by immediately giving up a back breaking TD. 

1st half LSU - 7 points on 208 yards
2nd half LSU - 31 points on 357 yards

1st half OU - 3 points on 88 yards
2nd half OU - 24 points on 282 yards

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Wait, we looked BAD against LSU? That's the best we've looked all season IMO.

Yeah, our D sucked that game but LSU has shredded everyone including an "Elite Florida SEC SEC Defense".  Our offense played damn well against LSU overall outside of the TD drop which is just bad luck.   You can't really count Rice, but yeah, give me an LSU level performance (it might not have beaten an OU team that plays their A game on O - they didn't) and nobody else will stay within 10 of us this year.  But we've played like shit overall for 2 straight games.  That absolutely will get us beat 1-2 more times.

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, our D sucked that game but LSU has shredded everyone including an "Elite Florida SEC SEC Defense".  Our offense played damn well against LSU overall outside of the TD drop which is just bad luck.   You can't really count Rice, but yeah, give me an LSU level performance (it might not have beaten an OU team that plays their A game on O - they didn't) and nobody else will stay within 10 of us this year.  But we've played like shit overall for 2 straight games.  That absolutely will get us beat 1-2 more times.

And least we forget we put up some yards on the the Elite LSU SEC SEC Defense as well.  530 on them in fact to their 573..... If we had won, the narrative would have been flipped.

Which brings our offensive performance against OU sucks into even more of a question.  

And least we forget we put up some yards on the the Elite LSU SEC SEC Defense as well.  530 on them in fact to their 573..... If we had won, the narrative would have been flipped.
Which brings our offensive performance against OU sucks into even more of a question.  

It’s simple, we got whipped in the trenches, none of them played well and the interior was atrocious. Thoroughly Outcoached by Grinch.

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

It's not magic it's having 4 olineman drafted in the first 4 rounds last year which had never happened before and replacing them with 4 more future picks, not to mention the returning sophmore center that will be all American. It takes us 10 years to get one drafted. OU system always works because they always have a good to great oline. 

Exactly. And we're working on that part with Hand. However, they also have a better WR's coach, TE coach, and magically their DC just butt fucked our Mensa HC and his amazing staff consisting of Meh, Warhime, Washington, and Orlando. OU plays to win, and we all beat our chests because of better recruiting classes. At some point Herman is going to have to be a man and be the villain. Texas should absolutely never come second to Oklahoma in anything, and here we are. They've raped and pillaged year after year for CC's, and we're just happy to finally get to 10 wins. They've made the playoffs 3 years with talent we gave away. They're ruthless, and at what point do we finally realize we can have an amazing academic institution and still compete for the playoffs, but we go out and hire the Charlie Strong's of the world, and hang on to Mack Brown who won 2 CC's in 16 seasons. That's beyond unbelievable. It's embarrassing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Zero sense of panic. We’ve got to coach our guys to play at their max ability level with consistency.

Zero sense of panic my ass.  Everyone knows people are panicking.  After watching that game on Saturday - I feel like we're taking another L this year just due to bad tackling.

Edited by krevo
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Exactly. And we're working on that part with Hand. However, they also have a better WR's coach, TE coach, and magically their DC just butt fucked our Mensa HC and his amazing staff consisting of Meh, Warhime, Washington, and Orlando. OU plays to win, and we all beat our chests because of better recruiting classes. At some point Herman is going to have to be a man and be the villain. Texas should absolutely never come second to Oklahoma in anything, and here we are. They've raped and pillaged year after year for CC's, and we're just happy to finally get to 10 wins. They've made the playoffs 3 years with talent we gave away. They're ruthless, and at what point do we finally realize we can have an amazing academic institution and still compete for the playoffs, but we go out and hire the Charlie Strong's of the world, and hang on to Mack Brown who won 2 CC's in 16 seasons. That's beyond unbelievable. It's embarrassing. 

In the end, it's just sports. Sports will never, ever be the priority for the University of Texas.

• Like 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

that's why it feels like we're ever so slowly turning into the Michigan to Oklahoma's Ohio State

I don't disagree. I think that's the way it's going to be. It seems pretty obvious that football is more important to OU than it is for Texas. I think it's been that way for a long time now.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's why it feels like we're ever so slowly turning into the Michigan to Oklahoma's Ohio State

Slowly?  We've been there.  Look at their conference titles.  They have had the edge in coaching for 2 decades.  And better players more often than not (and definitely recently).  Lincoln realized he had lost any coaching edge on the defensive side when we kicked their ass last October and he fixed it starting the next day.  We've been Michigan.   Coaching and recruiting both matter.  We're doing better in the latter and much closer from a personnel perspective than we have been (they are still better) but yeah, Lincoln's had Tom's number the last 2 meetings for sure.   We really need to get back to the Championship game for numerous reasons but I want to see if Tom has a counter in him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

In the end, it's just sports. Sports will never, ever be the priority for the University of Texas.

I'm saying we can have both. We get the recruits, so why can't we have the coaches? We pay all this money for what, a decade of garbage, and being ou's bitch? It's not like ou is out there paying top dollar for all these recruits like Bama, and they have no problems making CCG after CCG. It's mind-blowing. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm saying we can have both. We get the recruits, so why can't we have the coaches? We pay all this money for what, a decade of garbage, and being ou's bitch? It's not like ou is out there paying top dollar for all these recruits like Bama, and they have no problems making CCG after CCG. It's mind-blowing. 

And that appears to be their ceiling.

I guess they are OK with that.

Alabama and Clemson are not.

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Q about offensive play calling first half

A: good plan by them to start. They played better than us. We didn’t make very many people miss in space. They did a good job up front.

we don't have the players to make people who are like athletes miss in space Tom...quit thinking we do.

Just now, David Dennison said:

And that appears to be their ceiling.

I guess they are OK with that.

Alabama and Clemson are not.

I don't know what Clemson is doing, but whatever it is I'd like that. They don't seem to be flaunting cash, but Dabo also has the benefit of having no competition in conference. Yes, ou is a regional champion because they can't get past rd 1 of the playoffs, but I'd damn sure trade a Sugar Bowl win for an appearance in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

he really said OU didn't do anything we hadn't prepared for???

that's a pretty serious indictment on our coaching staff.

thats the passive aggressive way to blame it on player execution.  can't be on the coaches, we prepared the players for everything OU did.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't know what Clemson is doing, but whatever it is I'd like that. They don't seem to be flaunting cash, but Dabo also has the benefit of having no competition in conference. Yes, ou is a regional champion because they can't get past rd 1 of the playoffs, but I'd damn sure trade a Sugar Bowl win for an appearance in the playoffs. 

You might end up getting it.

Or not.

You might end up getting it.

Or not.

Next year has to be the time Herman takes that next step. His first real recruiting class will be juniors, Sam will be a senior, and I don't know what ou has in the pipeline other than Rattler, and surely he can't be a Heisman winner in year 1 (I hope). 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Next year has to be the time Herman takes that next step. His first real recruiting class will be juniors, Sam will be a senior, and I don't know what ou has in the pipeline other than Rattler, and surely he can't be a Heisman winner in year 1 (I hope). 

They are going to be elite at skill positions for the foreseeable future.  Certainly as long as Riley is there.

Just now, Skipper said:

They are going to be elite at skill positions for the foreseeable future.  Certainly as long as Riley is there.

Yes they are, but they'll make mistakes with a rs frosh qb, so that gives us some leeway. I'm concerned about what Herman is going to do after Sam leaves. Casey has been in the program for 2 years, and 3 next season, so I don't want to see staggering regression. We have skill position players, too. We need an actual offensive identity, and I don't know if Herman has that. 

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Mack Brown won the national championship in his eighth season at Texas. He won the Rose Bowl in his seventh season. He lost five in a row to OU in the run up to 2005.

Tom Herman took a program coming off its worst three consecutive seasons in history and has two bowl wins against SEC teams, one of which was the Sugar Bowl.

Losing to OU sucks, for sure. But lets not pretend this year, or next year, or even the next year is make or break for Tom Herman.

He's right on track.

50 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

It’s simple, we got whipped in the trenches, none of them played well and the interior was atrocious. Thoroughly Outcoached by Grinch.

until we start recruiting nfl caliber linemen on both sides of the ball, this will be about good as it gets against top 10 teams who already have nfl bound linemen.  What did you expect?  There is something to be said about the game being won by controlling the line of scrimmage...

Mack Brown won the national championship in his eighth season at Texas. He won the Rose Bowl in his seventh season. He lost five in a row to OU in the run up to 2005.

Tom Herman took a program coming off its worst three consecutive seasons in history and has two bowl wins against SEC teams, one of which was the Sugar Bowl.

Losing to OU sucks, for sure. But lets not pretend this year, or next year, or even the next year is make or break for Tom Herman.

He's right on track.

That's not what I'm saying. I see Herman is making progress, but he's also overly confident. Winning NY6 bowls are great, but we live in a state with damn near the most sought after talent along with Florida and Cali. We shouldn't be in a decade of garbage. Year 4 under Herman is where I'll judge him as a coach with upperclassmen he recruited. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yes they are, but they'll make mistakes with a rs frosh qb, so that gives us some leeway. I'm concerned about what Herman is going to do after Sam leaves. Casey has been in the program for 2 years, and 3 next season, so I don't want to see staggering regression. We have skill position players, too. We need an actual offensive identity, and I don't know if Herman has that. 

I'm not that worried about QB with Herman.   He won't miss evaluations at near the level we have over the past decade.  And with the portal rules now we'll be in a position to plug a hole just like OU has (knowing it will cost us some a long the way as well).  As far as identify,  it's pretty clear we want to be a balanced physical offensive team (whether we currently have the personnel or not).  I think the biggest mistake Herman made this week was throwing scheme and creativity aside and being arrogantly confident we would be more physical than OU and push them around just like we did last October (despite the fact that didn't happen in the rematch).  Like OU's new defensive staff didn't watch tape of that soft ass D and challenge the manhood of everyone on that side of the ball all off season.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

until we start recruiting nfl caliber linemen on both sides of the ball, this will be about good as it gets against top 10 teams who already have nfl bound linemen.  What did you expect?  There is something to be said about the game being won by controlling the line of scrimmage...

Huh. You’re agreeing and disagreeing in the same post. Of course we need to recruit better there but our O line has been playing relatively well all year and the best in years. Saturday was a huge setback and surprise. We got dominated. Hope they can regain confidence and not let this be a blueprint on how to attack us. I think Hand will get them back on track.

The D line seems to have a bright future though with young talent and a nice recruiting class coming up.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm not that worried about QB with Herman.   He won't miss evaluations at near the level we have over the past decade. 

that is the one area that is almost guaranteed to get better, because it is almost inconceivable it could get worse than it was

Edited by SwanderedTalent

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's right on track.

Herman's seat will get very hot when Jimbo wins another natty before he does.  

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It wasnt a heated exchange.  We thew a flare pass to Ingram.  he was tackled immediately for a loss.  He came back to the huddle and looked to be frustrated and griping about something.  Sam told him something calmly.  Chip is a douche.  End of story,

Greta-2.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3