Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

15 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Got damn the boosters hate his ass. Wow

They do indeed. Hate his ass. That takes some level of skill on his part even for an arrogant meathead fraud. It may not be a popular opinion but I wonder where Texas would be right now if we had hired Traylor instead of Herman. It would never have happened especially after the fucktastic failure of Strong but still. I wonder. 

for the record I would have preferred Luck to CDC. Not that it matters.

we just have to rally and press forward. And let Belmont/BOR/CDC hear us. We can’t just sit quietly here. I’m still UM or bust. I may have no real power or significance to TPTB but I am fed up. Collectively we should be able to make some noise. Turn the campfire up to a bonfire. They need to hear us now. Otherwise we turn into the Cowboys fan base. It appears that this is trending south and they deserve to hear about it. Not just rumblings in chat rooms and message boards and 9.95 sites. The backlash from us needs to be swift, merciless and unrelenting and public.

oh, I left a wake up call with the day shift. No wake up call. No juice or bagel. What kind of hotel is this? I demand to see the manager! Lol.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Georgia is a competent OC and QB away from being Clemson. Then you have to worry about Bama if you do make it out of the east. Here all you have to do is worry about OU who as we've seen is very beatable and Riley could jump to the NFL at any moment. Mullen would plunder this conference and beat the hell out of teams he is supposed to the vast majority of the time. 

Georgia is the SEC Version of us. Always just a little bit of stupid coaching away from maybe being something.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Mullen, the guy who averaged around 4th in west while at MSU and has never even won a division title, in his career? That Mullen? Let me say that again to make sure we are clear.

SEC division titles ZERO NEVER won a division title.

SEC titles zero

National Championship titles Zero

You might want to got look at his coaching history and record. 

Also, you might want to take it to a a thread not titled Urban Meyer or bust.

But, but Were’ Texas and hire on potential.....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

A solid coach would've won the Big 12 this year. That was everyone's expectation.

Turtle fucked it up, as usual

A solid coach wouldn't have lost to LSU this year.

Reason to day drink number 764534.  Nightmare scenario:

1. CDC buys out Herman 

2. CDC brings over Mullen

3. UM takes over his old position in sunny Florida

4. Flood dies in bizarre booze incident

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

They do indeed. Hate his ass. That takes some level of skill on his part even for an arrogant meathead fraud. It may not be a popular opinion but I wonder where Texas would be right now if we had hired Traylor instead of Herman. It would never have happened especially after the fucktastic failure of Strong but still. I wonder. 

we just have to rally and press forward. And let Belmont/BOR/CDC hear us. We can’t just sit quietly here. I’m still UM or bust. I may have no real power or significance to TPTB but I am fed up. Collectively we should be able to make some noise. Turn the campfire up to a bonfire. They need to hear us now. Otherwise we turn into the Cowboys fan base. It appears that this is trending south and they deserve to hear about it. Not just rumblings in chat rooms and message boards and 9.95 sites. The backlash from us needs to be swift, merciless and unrelenting and public.

oh, I left a wake up call with the day shift. No wake up call. No juice or bagel. What kind of hotel is this? I demand to see the manager! Lol.

The one thing i learned after attending UT for 8 years (no TommyBoy) is that it is a boys club. There is absolutely nothing we as fans who donate a couple k a year can do to get the admins to give a fuck. That’s actually a very good attitude for an institution to have when it come to education, but in being responsive to fan perspective and want, make no mistake we are all reviled. The people who have say are a combo of old/new money each with expertise in different areas of business, but bankrupt in coordination with other ‘fuck you’ types. 

The attitude of the athletic office is that they are trying to succeed in spite of us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Better job, more money, an easier playoff path and more fertile recruiting. There's been smoke from a few different places that he may not be super happy there as well. 

Florida recruiting = Texas recruiting, as in the states respectively put out the same number of 3/4/5 stars every year.  

Easier path is the only one, they have UGA and LSU is their cross rival, then Bama if they make the CCG.    That’s a pretty tough slate these days.  

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Mullen, the guy who averaged around 4th in west while at MSU and has never even won a division title prior to 2020, in his career? That Mullen? Let me say that again to make sure we are clear.

SEC division titles ZERO NEVER won prior to 2020 a division title.

SEC titles zero

National Championship titles Zero

You might want to got look at his coaching history and record. 

Also, you might want to take it to a a thread not titled Urban Meyer or bust.

Here ya go. Do some research.

Dan Mullen - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mullen

His teams finish higher than Texas every year

Just now, Treefidy said:

Florida recruiting = Texas recruiting, as in the states respectively put out the same number of 3/4/5 stars every year.  

Easier path is the only one, they have UGA and LSU is their cross rival, then Bama if they make the CCG.    That’s a pretty tough slate these days.  

Regarding recruiting - I don’t see Texas recruiting as quite as much a constant battle as the recruiting in Florida. I have no real knowledge of that - but everything I’ve read about Florida recruiting is that it is shady as fuck even for college recruiting.  But I don’t fucking know. 

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

for the record I would have preferred Luck to CDC. Not that it matters.

If people don’t go to the games or buy merchandise, that matters too.  Don’t have to a big donor to make a statement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby confirmed again that the money is there to get rid of Tom even if Urban is no longer an option. 

This is true. But it’s not a blank check for anyone. But there are definitely people that money can be lined up for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I get the the ceiling might be higher or Elliot/Venables - but Mullen has at least put together 10 win seasons as a head coach.  

Who knows - but maybe Elliot turns into Chad Morris as soon as he leaves Clemson. 

Clemson doesn’t miss a beat when they change coordinators. That tells me it ain’t the coordinators.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I honestly think the biggest frustration fans have is with the university's pesky habit of placing academics ahead of athletics, to wit:

"The mission of The University of Texas at Austin is to achieve excellence in the interrelated areas of undergraduate education, graduate education, research and public service."

Your post implies that there’s some sort of either/or going on between athletics getting attention, focus and money versus the academic side and there isn’t. That’s a false choice. Further, I’m going to guess that the majority of university and college mission statements available to look up say roughly the same shit with perhaps some mixing religious shit in as well. 

• Hook 'Em 4

There’s a lot of discussion about QuasiMullen on this Urban Meyer thread. Maybe that’s a dance that happens, but Jimmy Sexton is a fucking asshat and already showed his cards for Mullen by dropping his name to reporters when UT looking at options began to get covered. That indicates a lack of good faith and that a real move occurring would be unlikely. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CDC has actually done a remarkable fundraising job for the SEZ and Moody Center. He also has done well with minor sports hires so he has some lead way I think. His job will be determined by who is on the sidelines next season. I’d say 2022-2023 we would know. Missing out on Urban sucks but CDC time here will be evaluated by the football coach. Winning in football will bring donations in and propel revenue. 

This is one of the biggest myths I continuously see about CDC. I don’t know what you do for a living, but I promise you could have been just as successful at “fundraising” for those items. As far as the SEZ goes, that’s like saying the hipster douches that work at Apple did a great job selling the iPhone the day it was released. 

The Moody element of the new arena happened at levels way above Crystal’s head. 

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

LSU loss was worse.

They were both pretty terrible. I still think he's pretty good but not worth the effort. Urban is probably the only guy on the table worth blowing the market up for. Otherwise, they really should just hire Matt Campbell which I think will happen if they beat OU.

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

of course they do.  they are paying top money for what is obviously the 4th or 5th best coach in a 10 team conference.  that is horrible ROI.

It’s not just that. They might not have wanted Charlie but most everyone ive talked to generally liked him and just thought he was a football coach in over his head. Herman rubs people the wrong way alongside doing immature shit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Your post implies that there’s some sort of either/or going on between athletics getting attention, focus and money versus the academic side and there isn’t. That’s a false choice. Further, I’m going to guess that the majority of university and college mission statements available to look up say roughly the same shit with perhaps some mixing religious shit in as well. 

this.  I don't care what they write or state.  I care about what they do.  we may not get Meyer but maybe we are pissed off enough that we are actually going to do a real live search this time with the goal getting the best head football coach we can on this campus.

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

It’s not just that. They might not have wanted Charlie but most everyone ive talked to generally liked him and just thought he was a football coach in over his head. Herman rubs people the wrong way alongside doing immature shit.

oh I agree.  Charlie was the guy you wanted to root for.  He was David McWilliams.  Herman is Mackovic(not likeable, not saying Mackovic was immature).  you can be Mackovic but you better win.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Yes. They think the head coach at UT is their bitch and he better act like it until he can assume a semi-inclusive role with them. Kinda like a Puerto Rican money manager. “You’ve made a shit ton of money for me, so you’re invited to the party in Barbados but you’re disappearance next year won’t upset anyone.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

God damn.. let's break this down since it won't die.

Mullen overall 98-52

10 win seasons 3

2014 MSU 2nd in west behind Bama

Wins: Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, LSU, Aggy, Auburn, Kentucky, Pig, Tennessee-MARTIN, Vandy

Losses: Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech

2018 Florida

Wins: Charleston South Carolina, Colorado State, Tennessee, LSU, Vandy, South Carolina, Idaho, Florida State, Michigan

Losses: Kentucky, Georgia, Missouri

2019 Florida

Wins: Miami Diaz, UT MARTIN, Kentucky, Tennessee, Towson, Auburn, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri, Florida State, Virgina

Lost: LSU, Georgia

2020 Florida 8 Wins

Won: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia, Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee

Lost: Aggy, LSU

So go ahead and tell me how impressive those THREE 10 wins season are looking back at them.

There is something to this. Most of the SEC is overrated trash year in and year out. They usually have 2-3 legit teams...out of 14 not to mention the nonconference scheduling is straight ass. The SEC east is easier than the Big 12 for sure. I mean if we had played those schedules the last 3 years I think Tom could've produced 10 win seasons.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

God damn.. let's break this down since it won't die.

Mullen overall 98-52

10 win seasons 3

2014 MSU 2nd in west behind Bama

Wins: Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, LSU, Aggy, Auburn, Kentucky, Pig, Tennessee-MARTIN, Vandy

Losses: Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech

2018 Florida

Wins: Charleston South Carolina, Colorado State, Tennessee, LSU, Vandy, South Carolina, Idaho, Florida State, Michigan

Losses: Kentucky, Georgia, Missouri

2019 Florida

Wins: Miami Diaz, UT MARTIN, Kentucky, Tennessee, Towson, Auburn, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri, Florida State, Virgina

Lost: LSU, Georgia

2020 Florida 8 Wins

Won: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia, Arkansas, Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee

Lost: Aggy, LSU

So go ahead and tell me how impressive those THREE 10 wins season are looking back at them.

I get thast Mullen has some warts but MSU is a fucking wasteland in football.  He actually made them competitive for long stretch. He's not coming but he'd be an upgrade over Herman for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

There is something to this. Most of the SEC is overrated trash year in and year out. They usually have 2-3 legit teams...out of 14 not to mention the nonconference scheduling is straight ass. I mean if we had played those schedules the last 3 years I think Tom could've produced 10 win seasons.

he might be 9-3 right now given LSU sucks, the other gimmie win, and Kansas.  the problem is that he is the 4ht or 5th best coach in the conference and recruiting is now slipping.

The Big 12 this year is a dumpster fire.  He should have been 11-1 minimum.  losing to TCU and ISU at HOME is ridiculous with this roster.  

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Truth. Knew a few folks that played for Macovic and they didn't like him either. That's an impressively low bar Herman missed.

csb

I met macovic once in 1996

i was a new freshman and went with my suite mate (practice squad bb player) to Belmont to look at everything. We go up the escalators to where the lecture rooms are and he was walking by us. My buddy said “hey coach!” To which macovic replied to a person at the end of the hall “who the fuck are these kids? Can somebody get them THE FUCK out of here?”

We left and as we walked back my buddy said “that’s pretty cool man, they say he NEVER cusses...”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Everything just makes too much sense from both the perspective of Texas and Meyer for this not to work. He clearly wants to coach again and this is the best opportunity for him to achieve what he wants to as a coach. Regardless of what we hear, for a guy who admits he thinks about coaching again every day,  I believe he wants this job as much as we want him. It isn't happening on Surly's timeframe, but I'm betting it happens after the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

There’s a lot of discussion about QuasiMullen on this Urban Meyer thread. Maybe that’s a dance that happens, but Jimmy Sexton is a fucking asshat and already showed his cards for Mullen by dropping his name to reporters when UT looking at options began to get covered. That indicates a lack of good faith and that a real move occurring would be unlikely. 

So cross off Mullen.

If it’s not campbell or Mullen. Elliott? But there’s no need to wait this long he’s just a coordinator. Coordinators have taken jobs but still coaches rest of games that year.

Maybe not Elliott then.

1 minute ago, alphahorn said:

Everything just makes too much sense from both the perspective of Texas and Meyer for this not to work. He clearly wants to coach again and this is the best opportunity for him to achieve what he wants to as a coach. Regardless of what we hear, for a guy who admits he thinks about coaching again every day,  I believe he wants this job as much as we want him. It isn't happening on Surly's timeframe, but I'm betting it happens after the playoffs.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Clemson doesn’t miss a beat when they change coordinators. That tells me it ain’t the coordinators.

I mean - haven’t they only really changed from Morris to Elliot?  

Venables has been there from the beginning, and although Scott/Elliot were named Co-Coordinators to replace Morris - Elliot was named play caller from the start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

When Big Game Fishing patience is important.

• Hook 'Em 3

The track record of promoting hot name coordinators to head coach seems like it’s been more miss than hit over the years and the list of once hot up-and-comers failing seems long.  Given the choice, I would prefer the hot name head coach looking to step up over the coordinator.  Of course nothing beats proven head coach, and I’m offering whatever it takes to get one.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic