Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason HBO

Michael Knight

3 hours ago, Player said:

I think the lady in the nuthouse is the sister of the councilman, and former side piece of Brooks.

Perry destroyed the bus driver on cross, and planted the seed for reasonable doubt. But I still think old man mccutcheon ordered the hit.

Maybe the old man ordered the hit, and the Nygaard oil baroness is trying to blow the lid off his heroin import business?

Yeah, I don't think it's something as simple as a council member wanting to get revenge on Brooks for hurting his sister and paying a hitman. I feel like oil baroness is playing both sides. Something in her needling Della about working for Perry. I think we'll find she was the one who put pressure on the DA to settle so she wasn't exposed. 

Both Della and Paul's storylines continue to make me leery. They both have so much to lose in a time where either would be destroyed by the powers that be. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I don't think it's something as simple as a council member wanting to get revenge on Brooks for hurting his sister and paying a hitman. I feel like oil baroness is playing both sides. Something in her needling Della about working for Perry. I think we'll find she was the one who put pressure on the DA to settle so she wasn't exposed. 

Both Della and Paul's storylines continue to make me leery. They both have so much to lose in a time where either would be destroyed by the powers that be. 

Same for Burger.

This season has been damn good so far.

• Like 1

it is a pretty good show.  lots of characters that are loose threads and need to all come together in the end - the rich oil lady/piano teacher and her cuckhold attorney (they may be innocent), the dickhead dad, the councilman, the rough, drunk-looking cop that seems to always be up to no good, the black gangster (he may be innocent), etc.

i still dont get the story with della and her lovers and why they are telling it.  i also am unclear on the nature of the tension around where drake is staying.  they seem to be insulting him around the domino table.  is it because he's not working or paying rent?  arent they calling him an uncle tom too, or did i just imagine that?

interesting that the last episode ended with shea wigham being asked about his relationship with perry.  hopefully he comes clean to perry with what he was approached to do.

The Della story is more just to harken back to how gay people had to stay in the shadows. The DA and her even hinted about getting married to avoid questions about their sexuality. Plus it's HBO and they need some sex on the show.

Drake is out of work since he quit the force last season. He relies on Mason for PI work and since Perry went mostly with civil work, there isn't a lot of Drake to do. So he and his wife are living with her sister and brother-in-law. I'd imagine any black people in 1930s LA are suspicious of another black person who worked for the cops. There was suspicion around the poker table that Paul was the person who snitched on the gangster. 

I think Strickland is being fed false info to give to Perry to either set him up or throw him off the scent of the person behind the shooting. 

59 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I dont get the story with della and her lovers and why they are telling it. 

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Della story is more just to harken back to how gay people had to stay in the shadows. The DA and her even hinted about getting married to avoid questions about their sexuality. Plus it's HBO and they need some sex on the show.

This. It's character development. With boobs!

Drake is out of work since he quit the force last season. He relies on Mason for PI work and since Perry went mostly with civil work, there isn't a lot of Drake to do. So he and his wife are living with her sister and brother-in-law. I'd imagine any black people in 1930s LA are suspicious of another black person who worked for the cops. There was suspicion around the poker table that Paul was the person who snitched on the gangster. 

He didn't snitch, but he did stake out the gangster for Strickland and the DA and took photos which were used to put him away.

• Hook 'Em 1

No. It was Strickland. He broke into Perry's office late at night. That's why the smarmy ADA knew about it. But Perry has trust issues. 

Not understanding the oil in the fruit thing on the beach. Why would you inject oil into fruit? 

Della with the councilman in court was a great scene. Sad we only have 2 left. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

No. It was Strickland. He broke into Perry's office late at night. That's why the smarmy ADA knew about it. But Perry has trust issues. 

Not understanding the oil in the fruit thing on the beach. Why would you inject oil into fruit? 

My best guess is that the oil drilling is polluting nearby farms and old man McCutchen is just buying the bad fruit from the farmers to keep it quiet 

• Like 1

That’s a good guess PB. I was thinking the produce imports (as Holcomb pondered, who imports produce to CA? Like bringing sand to the beach.) had to be connected in some way to Brooks and the murdered grocer, and that sure seemed to be pointing towards heroin.

But it makes sense that Lydell would try to keep his contamination of the local farmlands quiet.

Who is the person that Paul and Mo were staking out, and how are they connected to the Gallardo case?

The wife of the person who hired the Converse kid to pay the Gallardos to kill Brooks. The Converse kid that Paul beat the shit out of was supplying her dope. Since he's gone, she has to buy from someone so Paul wanted to find out who she was. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

So he breaks into the safe and knows its the murder weapon?

I think its the fat mystery detective who found out they had the murder weapon and then had Strickland break in to find it.

11 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think its the fat mystery detective who found out they had the murder weapon and then had Strickland break in to find it.

There's a reason they didn't show us that it was Strickland that broke into Mason's office.  Unless they showed us the bruised fingernails and I just couldn't see that on my tv.  Did they?

Or conversely, did we see that the hand did not have bruised fingernails?

I was certain it was heroin, too, but if it's oil leaking into farmland and poisoning crops, that's a much better job of writing.

There's a reason they didn't show us that it was Strickland that broke into Mason's office.  Unless they showed us the bruised fingernails and I just couldn't see that on my tv.  Did they?
I was certain it was heroin, too, but if it's oil leaking into farmland and poisoning crops, that's a much better job of writing.

But Strickland did break into the office

I know this won't happen, but I'd like to think that Strickland broke into the office, and replaced the gun in the safe so that when ballistics tests come back, it will show that the gun in the safe was not the murder weapon.  I think Strickland hates the douchie DA more than Perry.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I know this won't happen, but I'd like to think that Strickland broke into the office, and replaced the gun in the safe so that when ballistics tests come back, it will show that the gun in the safe was not the murder weapon.  I think Strickland hates the douchie DA more than Perry.

that would be so damn nice.  nobody knew about the gun in the safe but those three.  still unexplained how the ada found out.   

stricklands nails were black from trying to break into perry's house, but he had it chained.  then later someone breaks into perry's office.  well, technically doesnt seem like a breakin, nobody noticed anyway, and whoever did it had the combination, so again not much of a breakin.

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that would be so damn nice.  nobody knew about the gun in the safe but those three.  still unexplained how the ada found out.   

stricklands nails were black from trying to break into perry's house, but he had it chained.  then later someone breaks into perry's office.  well, technically doesnt seem like a breakin, nobody noticed anyway, and whoever did it had the combination, so again not much of a breakin.

Unfortunately, deleted the episode from my dvr, but I'm trying to remember if Perry mentioned it offhandedly during his night of drinking with Strickland, the night they ended up at the racetrack.  Just can't remember what they discussed.

my recollection was that mystery guy was following Drake to tent town, (then off camera) tracked down the gun dealer and knew they had a gun that could have been used in the murder.

ADA needed Strickland to find the gun and any other stuff. Strickland attempted to break in house. Then after ADA pep talk, did break into office. Thats where they identified gun in safe and left it there.

Other left field is that Asian secretary also overheard what teacher overheard.

4 hours ago, 83Horn said:

It very well could happen.  It may even need to.  Otherwise Mason's legal career could be over in a hurry.

That was my first thought once we saw that the gun actually was in the safe.  My first thought was that Strickland removed it and then told the ADA it was there.  Then my second thought was, he switched out the guns.

Soothes his ego by proving he's "as smart as Perry" but also fucks over the ADA who he undoubtedly can't stand.

Well I just re-watched the scene where Mason's office is being broken into and all we see is the locks turning.  We never see the fingernails of the dude breaking in.

That has to come into play at some point.  There's a reason they spent so much time showing us Strickland sustaining the injury, and then later the severe bruising on the fingers.

14 hours ago, Augustus said:

There's also a reason they had an entire scene where the ADA is talking down to Strickland and ends the conversation with "find me something we can use." 

58 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Well I just re-watched the scene where Mason's office is being broken into and all we see is the locks turning.  We never see the fingernails of the dude breaking in.

That has to come into play at some point.  There's a reason they spent so much time showing us Strickland sustaining the injury, and then later the severe bruising on the fingers.

I suppose it's possible that it could have been someone other than Strickland, but they went way out of their way to tell us who did it, even if they didn't show us. To have it be someone else would be pretty weird, and kinda lazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like this theory. I expected them to open the safe and the gun be gone.

16 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I've pondered this. Strickland is friends with Perry, not so much with Hamilton. I'm thinking when Della being a lesbian comes out, Hamilton will draw a line in the sand. He has too much to lose.

i would like for any surly attorneys to chime in on the scenario of a defense attorney having evidence and not disclosing it.  thats one thing.  but i would also like their opinions on how they heard about it.  what would make a judge get both attorney teams in a car and traipse over to an office where they find a gun in a safe?  it could be any old gun.  he has no proof that it's the murder weapon so for him to even give credence to the ada's allegation is suspicious.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:28 AM, thrillhammer said:

i would like for any surly attorneys to chime in on the scenario of a defense attorney having evidence and not disclosing it.  thats one thing.  but i would also like their opinions on how they heard about it.  what would make a judge get both attorney teams in a car and traipse over to an office where they find a gun in a safe?  it could be any old gun.  he has no proof that it's the murder weapon so for him to even give credence to the ada's allegation is suspicious.

It's called Hollywood. 

On 4/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, Eskimohorn said:

I looked at the breakin scene again and my thought is it’s a woman breaking in. The arms look thinner than a man’s. And I agree, the gun may have been switched. 

Incredible show. 

On 4/12/2023 at 7:11 AM, 83Horn said:

This was my thought. I like @Brandywine take as well. Regardless it’s not the murder weapon (imo).

One of the better shows on television right now. 

So the gun was the real one, Pete broke in and Lady Nygard is behind it all. The selling oil to the Japanese war machine is amazing. The Pete/Perry dynamic is so good. Paul's wife tagging along brought the tension up another level. Why do I feel like Lady Nygard is going to walk away scott free given she has people with stuff on everybody? Can't believe we're down to only one more. Time for Perry to make good with the innocent teacher. I feel like Perry's going to get the news that Nygard has pictures of Della and the writer and he chooses to save Della over exposing Nygard.  

29 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Did they show the person who came home at the lady junky’s house? Is he the oil lady baron’s fixer? Trying to connect Drake’s detective work to the story 

Yeah, it's Nygard's lawyer/fixer that she was being passive aggressive to while playing the piano. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

So the gun was the real one, Pete broke in and Lady Nygard is behind it all. The selling oil to the Japanese war machine is amazing. The Pete/Perry dynamic is so good. Paul's wife tagging along brought the tension up another level. Why do I feel like Lady Nygard is going to walk away scott free given she has people with stuff on everybody? Can't believe we're down to only one more. Time for Perry to make good with the innocent teacher. I feel like Perry's going to get the news that Nygard has pictures of Della and the writer and he chooses to save Della over exposing Nygard.  

Doubt it. He may think he wants to settle down, but he's married to his job. He'll have a new love interest every season and will fuck it up because that's his character. 

Anyway, great episode. Interesting to see how they tie it all together and get the kids off without Perry getting disbarred. 

• 1 month later...

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

These cunts would've cancelled the Wire if they were running HBO, err Max, back then. Instead we get shit like The Idol and other absolute dogshit over quality writing and acting. Hopefully, Netflix, Apple, or Amazon will pick it up.

Edited by mdmost

This makes me sad.  The series was so well done, from writing to acting to set design, etc.  Was like getting to watch a high quality feature film every week.  At least they tied things up nicely at the end of the season (no huge cliffhangers).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

This makes me sad.  The series was so well done, from writing to acting to set design, etc.  Was like getting to watch a high quality feature film every week.  At least they tied things up nicely at the end of the season (no huge cliffhangers).

exactly.  period piece, well done, big cast = expensive.  welcome to the suck.