OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

Fong on Wheaton

Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial five-star running back Camar Wheaton popped in for the Sooner Summit on Saturday and tells 247Sports the experience helped the Big 12 powerhouse's chances in landing him.

Wheaton said the schools he's looking at the most are "Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Texas."

Lakeview Centennial assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Ant Saincilaire joined Wheaton in Norman, a return trip as the blue-chipper also visited in the spring. Because of the NCAA Dead Period in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, Wheaton was not allowed to meet with the Sooners staff or players during this trip. He was however surrounded by several Oklahoma commits and touted targets like himself.

"It was fun," Wheaton said. "Everybody there.

"Just being around everybody seeing them all committed and stuff."

One of the highlights for Wheaton was running routes with fellow five-star in Sooners quarterback commit Caleb Williams. The group also broke bread together.

"I know a couple guys already, some of them I met at Future 50 like Caleb and it's good to see them again and chop it up again," Wheaton said. "Everybody talking more a second time or just meeting each other.

"If we all play together I think we would be the best class."

Wheaton has talked about Oklahoma's offense and the success the program has had in the past, but it's the people within the program that give them a great chance of signing him.

"Just how willing everybody is to open up to you," Wheaton said. "Everybody looks at you like family, it's so welcoming."

"I liked watching those guys hang out," Saincilaire added. "It's like they've always been friends for a long time but a lot met the first time or haven't been able to spend that much time together. The biggest thing for me, I really appreciated and Camar feels the same way, the effort Caleb and his family had to put this together. It was a big kudos to them."

One of the fastest prospects in the country regardless of position, Wheaton is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country's No. 2 running back and No. 18 prospect overall

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who the hell is this guy beyond some random YouTube yeller-at-things?

That's pretty much it to my knowledge. I do think he does some work with Drumm and the other 247 guys so maybe he's marginally plugged in.

He's never had particularly nuanced takes but this one is so bad I really think it's just bait.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who the hell is this guy beyond some random YouTube yeller-at-things?

He is absolutely irrelevant trying to become relevant by becoming a hot take skip bayless/Stephen a smith etc etc...but instead it makes him look like a Taylor fucking Hamm wannabe. The less we see of this fucker the better, especially if this is the kind of takes he decides to make

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Still a little befuddling that Byrd can continue to be ranked so high as an OT when he hasn’t played the position in 2 years. I guess 1) he can’t play OT and DT both and 2) Duncanville has a slew of guys that can play OT but not DT so they are forced by the talent to play Byrd on defense. 

This is a sneaky key year for the OU OL. They were above average last year, but not great. Part of their problem with pass protection was probably Hurts, but Hurts obviously benefited the running game. They replace 4 starters and had new reserves too so to be above average is still pretty good.

For the Sooner OL to be considered top flight, they need to return to dominance this year. This means having an answer at both OT and a solid running game with new RB. OU's OL has typically taken a few weeks to gel so with the schedule in the air this year, there is a potential for missing high expectations.

This is relevant to recruiting because none of OU's top OL targets is expected to sign soon. So Leigh, Foster, and Byrd will get a chance to assess the progress of the 2020 OL group along with the rest of us.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

EgGtN_KX0AA4gJA?format=jpg&name=360x360

It's also been awhile since I've been there, but every time I've been to Owen Field it's open. Several times people, including me, have played on the field. There wasn't any security.

I can't recall the scoreboard being on, but they could make some excuse about them testing it or something.

2 hours ago, quigley said:

It's also been awhile since I've been there, but every time I've been to Owen Field it's open. Several times people, including me, have played on the field. There wasn't any security.

I can't recall the scoreboard being on, but they could make some excuse about them testing it or something.

Yes, kind of like the excuses about the video of Joe Mixon shattering that girl’s face. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes, kind of like the excuses about the video of Joe Mixon shattering that girl’s face. 

Looking at twitter and coaches tweets at random times, it appears that the scoreboard is on a lot and has any number of sporting events on it (basketball, baseball, etc).

Great for you to bring up something completely irrelevant to the topic!

• Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, quigley said:

Looking at twitter and coaches tweets at random times, it appears that the scoreboard is on a lot and has any number of sporting events on it (basketball, baseball, etc).

Like MMA .. Mixon Martial Arts .. for example?

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

This might be a chidoc special. You expect ppl to believe this horse shit?

GTFOOH, this was not a coincidence. Also, not the worst recruiting violation that has occurred. But, quit showing off the Sooner education thinking you are gonna pull a fast one.

GTFOOH, this was not a coincidence. Also, not the worst recruiting violation that has occurred. But, quit showing off the Sooner education thinking you are gonna pull a fast one.

4 hours ago, quigley said:

No shit. We’re fully aware nothing is going to come of it and OU would get away with it even if accused because the NCAA is a joke, but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

OU 247 / Brandon Drumm / Drumm Beat: Monday recruiting note

(Cross-posting from the Texas '21 thread.)

Spoiler

Drumm Beat: Monday recruiting note

Brandon Drumm

I know a lot of have asked about five-star RB Camar Wheaton and who his top two will be later on today.

What I do know is that OU will most likely be one. One source told me that they didn’t expect to see Texas on it, but I’m also told Texas feels very, very good about where they stand with LJ Johnson.

Last week a source with knowledge told me, “There are two schools and OU is for sure one,” the source said.

The source didn’t name a second team, but when I name Texas or SMU they hesitated a bit and said, “I think the team will shock most.”

I have had heard who it possibly could be, but I want to check with a few more people before I go all-in on the second team. Want a bit more confirmation.

I just wanted you all aware that the Summit did make some progress with Camar, as we reported yesterday, and that there is some potential movement in who could be going head-to-head with Oklahoma.

Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray has to continue to really build a relationship with Wheaton. That is essential in his recruitment, along with several other things.

Camar’s buddy, Sooners four-star OL target Savion Byrd, discussed Wheaton with me a few times over the last few days and told me, “He is a family guy,” Byrd said. “Playing close to home is very important to him, as is being able to provide for his mom later on in life, but we talk about playing together a lot. It would be fun if that could happen.”

Obviously, Byrd was in Norman/OKC for the Summit this weekend and had a good time. The relationship built with Camar and Sooners five-star QB commit Caleb Williams was also something that seemed to really help, according to sources.

All in all, I like where OU stands but the fact it’s just narrowing down to two means that the Sooners have a long way to go with the five-star RB.

We will keep you updated on what else I can find out.

22 hours ago, quigley said:

It is relevant, imo.  If you’ll hide video evidence of  a player / recruit shattering a girl’s face, you’re not gonna think twice about putting a show on the scoreboard at an illegal time.

I’m still surprised that Kelvin Sampson got in such hot water over a few hundred calls / texts.

• Hook 'Em 1