Could You Move to a Small Town

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why is land in Lake City, Colorado so fucking cheap? The distance from a major airport?

Yeah it's in the middle of no where. Utilities are always an issue.

During the winter you really have no where close to get to for medical or shopping. You cannot get to Pagosa or Durango easily (Wolfcreek Pass), Alamosa is a shit hole, Gunnison is fun to travel to.

Also, its full of the worst kind of Texans.

10 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yeah it's in the middle of no where. Utilities are always an issue.

During the winter you really have no where close to get to for medical or shopping. You cannot get to Pagosa or Durango easily (Wolfcreek Pass), Alamosa is a shit hole, Gunnison is fun to travel to.

Also, its full of the worst kind of Texans.

...define worst kind of Texans? Aggies?

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Define cheap. From the brief search I just did it looks pretty expensive.

I was seeing a few acres, with waterfront (sizable creek or small river) and/or scenic views for low 6 figures on Zillow or one of the big sites. I saw a 30 acre tract for a few hundred k. Comparable 3 acre tracts, even similarly undeveloped in wimberley are 4-600k. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Sunshine-Peak-Dr-LOT-93-Lake-City-CO-81235/2099024688_zpid/

Here’s a thousand dollars an acre. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Mining-Claims-Lake-City-CO-81235/2093305049_zpid/

this is insane.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Galena-Mining-District-Lake-City-CO-81235/2101353012_zpid/

i have no idea what utilities cost to get/run but it must be the same as the cost of construction or impossible to get.  That or the pics aren’t representative of the actual land?

Edited by SydneyCarton

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was seeing a few acres, with waterfront (sizable creek or small river) and/or scenic views for low 6 figures on Zillow or one of the big sites. I saw a 30 acre tract for a few hundred k. Comparable 3 acre tracts, even similarly undeveloped in wimberley are 4-600k. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Sunshine-Peak-Dr-LOT-93-Lake-City-CO-81235/2099024688_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Mining-Claims-Lake-City-CO-81235/2093305049_zpid/

this is insane.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Galena-Mining-District-Lake-City-CO-81235/2101353012_zpid/

i have no idea what utilities cost to get/run but it must be the same as the cost of construction or impossible to get.  That or the pics aren’t representative of the actual land?

Three thousand an acre is a decent price for land for agricultural value if it is productive. Anything  above that is driven by something else. That isn't cheap to most folks.

I'd forgotten about the poster who moved to nowhere Colorado to be a cook in a tiny restaurant, bought a large dog, somehow fell in love with a black chick in NYC. JMT? Such a strange trajectory, at least to me. I guess in the whole  picture though it kinda balances out Rocko moving to Hawaii and finding some Scandinavian sloot. 

Goldthwaithe is the shit.  Used to stop at the DQ there as a kid on the way to the ranch (near Coleman).  Video games (rare for DQ).  Creepy condom, machine in the bathroom.  Dude sandwich with large fries and a blizzard.  Living large.

I can remember when our local DQ had video games.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You're probably thinking about the hill country or something like that. Unless you are looking at small places in semi rural areas with notoriously good schools, you shouldn't pay more than three thousand an acre. Farming or ranching just doesn't pay enough to justify anything higher. 

I mean, yes that is what’s aim comparing it too. Although pretty sure one of my wife’s cousin’s family has land around Belleville and it was 10k an acre. Still boggles my mind. 

11 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Defense!

I always think Goldthwaite looks like it's doing great when I drive through it.

Shut 'Em Out Eagle Defense!

Goldthwaite does look significantly nicer than a lot of small towns. It has that DQ, no fewer than 2 mexican places, the Exxon grill, and a couple other restaurants. You can even get a cup of coffee in the weird knickknack store. I subscribe to the paper. A couple of years ago it finally went wet, and you no longer have to drive to Priddy for beer. My ranch is 8 miles away in Mullin, but if I was really moving to the area I think I'd buy a home in Goldthwaite and keep my property. By the time my kids are graduating high school it may be moot and Mullin ISD may consolidate with Goldthwaite - I don't see how they can keep enough numbers. That would be sad for the town of Mullin, of course. But probably inevitable. No more arcade in the DQ, but it does have a star of fame for the kid who played the younger brother in the Blind Side. Oh, and the town finally accepted and celebrated Coach Jody Conradt as a native daughter. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Yep. I'm one of them. My great Grandfather founded Bethel College in Newton.

Do you know why you always go fishing with a pair of Mennonites? If you take just one, he'll drink all your beer.

My brother went to Bethany for a year before essentially failing out and joining the army.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

this is insane.

I need at least 160 acres so I can get landowner tags, sir. 

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Vail, breckenridge and Park city are nice small towns.  Contemating pulling up stakes and heading west,  get a job as some architects draftsman and make mid day  site visits to the slope side  houses I'd like to work on.

I'd strike Vail from that list.

I know you don't like it. I could substitute other small ski towns for Vail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, yes that is what’s aim comparing it too. Although pretty sure one of my wife’s cousin’s family has land around Belleville and it was 10k an acre. Still boggles my mind. 

10k an acre is basically a large lot. There's no way way you can make the payments on that and cover them with agricultural receipts. So at that point you are paying for the location and not the land.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

10k an acre is basically a large lot. There's no way way you can make the payments on that and cover them with agricultural receipts. So at that point you are paying for the location and not the land.

I mean. That was my point. Its a shitty, worthless, ugly location. 

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

That land is likely uninhabitable for most humans unless you happen to be the Unabomber and even he would be concerned about the distance to the nearest post office to drop off his latest creation.

Yeah, I get it, but man sometimes I hate people and it's really pretty. 

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's the utilities issue that'll be the problem.

If you can get propane delivered (a quick google says yes), you could do a cabin with propane lights, hot water, and refrigerator.  Add a wood burning stove for heat, maybe a solar panel for charging phones.  If you can figure out the water situation (you can't capture rain water in CO), you're all set for a pretty cool getaway spot.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Any opinions on Graham, TX?

I was born and raised in Graham.  Moved to Austin to go to UT, and stayed there for 20 years.  My wife (who is also from Graham) and I finally decided to get the hell out of Austin and move back to Graham three years ago.  By far the best decision we have ever made.  We do miss the food options. But other than that, don't miss a thing about being in the city. 

It also helped that three months after moving back, we got to vote on allowing Graham to sell beer in stores.  It passed!!! No longer have to drive 15 miles out of town to get alcohol. Although there is a part of me that misses the "road trip" to get beer.  Always liked taking dirt roads back to town while having a couple of beers, shooting the shit with whoever went with you to get beer, and enjoying the scenery.

What all do you want to know?  

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you can get propane delivered (a quick google says yes), you could do a cabin with propane lights, hot water, and refrigerator.  Add a wood burning stove for heat, maybe a solar panel for charging phones.  If you can figure out the water situation (you can't capture rain water in CO), you're all set for a pretty cool getaway spot.  

Access to the land is likely a big issue.

Yup you either haul in your water or are lucky enough to have a well.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
Capturing rainwater is illegal?

Used to be, but i think they changed that. Not 100 percent sure on that, though.

Which is bizarre as shit for many basic reasons, but the stopping excess run off from your property into storm sewers or watersheds is a good thing.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Capturing rainwater is illegal?

Yep. In CO, you'll go to jail quicker for capturing rain water than killing someone.

All water rights, regardless of source, are purchased and owned.  You have no rights to the water from the sky unless you paid for it. 

A quick google shows that the law recently changed to allow 2 rain barrels not to exceed 110 gallons total if you use it for lawn care only.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. In CO, you'll go to jail quicker for capturing rain water than killing someone.

All water rights, regardless of source, are purchased and owned.  You have no rights to the water from the sky unless you paid for it. 

A quick google shows that the law recently changed to allow 2 rain barrels not to exceed 110 gallons total if you use it for lawn care only.

Yep. A couple barrels are now allowed, granted a ton of people were already doing this.

It has to do with Colorado being the headwaters for so many areas. If you allowed everyone to collect their own water, everyone down stream would be fucked.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That is crazy.  If I have 100 acres in the middle of nowhere, I really don’t see how collecting enough water to use for showering, doing the dishes, etc. would have any meaningful effect downstream as the rainfall from 99.99% of my property is unaffected.

Right, but how do you police this?

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm sure you have to set a max water limit or someone will claim that they need 1 water acre for personal use, and they will start building retention ponds.

Doesn't the Colorado River barely make to the Gulf of California now?  Same with the Rio Grande in the Gulf?  every drop counts.

This.

So the underlying theory here is that people at higher elevations should go without water so people at lower elevations can have water?  If this thread has taught me one thing, it’s to do my research if I ever buy rural land, because otherwise I’ll end up doing 5-10 for rainwater collection.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

those mining claims are really out there. no year round access. there is a house for sale up there that claims it is boasts the highest address in the lower 48. it is right at American basin, which is gorgeous, but it takes like an hour and a half just to get into town. i couldn't handle having a place there.

43 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So the underlying theory here is that people at higher elevations should go without water so people at lower elevations can have water?  If this thread has taught me one thing, it’s to do my research if I ever buy rural land, because otherwise I’ll end up doing 5-10 for rainwater collection.

It all has to do with agriculture.

People at higher elevations just need to get water the way people normally do.

I'd fathom the amount of people that live off of personally collected rainwater is pretty low.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, mooseoutfront said:

Fucking Strong.

I went outside and split almost half a cord of firewood with a 2 bit axe.

He makes sooners seem downright cosmopolitan.  My neighbor is a special kind of asshole.  Mainly he's a violent drunk who is always looking for a confrontation.  He's armed at all times.  I've instructed my wife if she ever sees him on our property and she is alone to grab the AR, put 2 in his chest and call the troopers.    

Sounds like he needs to be Ken Rex McElroy'd