Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

This is the part where we blame republicans for school closings?

I am glad that my school district took a reasonable approach.  Keeping the schools open and providing options for parents across the spectrum to engage as they see fit, whether virtual or in person proved out right.  We sat out to see if the initial reopening created problems, it didnt so we sent our kids back, comfortable with the safety protocols and the trends and trajectories. I feel bad for the parents and children in districts where that level of flexibility and common sense was not implemented. The effects will indeed be inequitable. 

Well this is the political COVID thread.

I'd say that there was a lot of mismanagement of COVID. The people managing COVID at the start were Republicans. One of the areas they mismanaged was schools.

My bigger point was that poor children routinely get the screw, COVID isn't really any different, it just made issues worse. Living in Texas, the Republicans have controlled education my entire life. If someone doesn't care about how they've screwed over poor kids pre-COVID, forgive me if I don't take that person seriously when they complain about how kids stree getting screwed over now.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are fairly but not completely worthless against covid

FALSE. Stop repeating that lie. It's been demonstrated over and over again in this thread that they are effective in preventing the spread of the virus.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the efficacy of community mask wearing to reduce the spread of respiratory infections was controversial because there were no solid relevant data to support their use. During the pandemic, the scientific evidence has increased. Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

LOL. You are hilarious. Thanks for the call out. Thought you had me on ignore.

You claim to be from San Antonio, yet you prefer Walmart to HEB, claim you got your shitty ass hot dog in your avatar from a San Antonio Bobs steak and chop house, and claimed that the last warm weekend last September was the last one we would have for awhile.

Just admit you’re a fraud and move forward.

29 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

LOL. You are hilarious. Thanks for the call out. Thought you had me on ignore.

You claim to be from San Antonio, yet you prefer Walmart to HEB, claim you got your shitty ass hot dog in your avatar from a San Antonio Bobs steak and chop house, and claimed that the last warm weekend last September was the last one we would have for awhile.

Just admit you’re a fraud and move forward.

Oh I’ll always call you out for that n bomb, little buddy. I’m just glad you CR types have a place to drop slurs without repercussions. You get to copy your national political idols. No wonder y’all love this forum. Y’all are the frauds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

FALSE. Stop repeating that lie. It's been demonstrated over and over again in this thread that they are effective in preventing the spread of the virus.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the efficacy of community mask wearing to reduce the spread of respiratory infections was controversial because there were no solid relevant data to support their use. During the pandemic, the scientific evidence has increased. Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection.

stop being so angry.  TRUE.  but it doesn't matter because they are going the way of the dodo.  

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

they are fairly but not completely worthless against covid

so....not completely worthless. Just fairly worthless.

so what the fuck difference is that?

But fairly worthless among the elite mRNA vaccinated class. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Sure, but imagine how many lives could've been saved if the simple act of wearing a mask would've been accepted as the normal, responsible, and logical behavior throughout the course of the pandemic. I'll give folks a pass on the first couple of months last spring during the initial outbreak because of the uncertainty and poor messaging, but motherfuckers spreading the lie that they were "fairly worthless" got a whole lot of people killed this past fall and winter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I went the entire year without a goddamn cold. I've been vaxed up for a while. I'll still keep wearing this stupid fucking thing at the grocery because there are a lot of nasty motherfuckers out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Sure, but imagine how many lives could've been saved if the simple act of wearing a mask would've been accepted as the normal, responsible, and logical behavior throughout the course of the pandemic. I'll give folks a pass on the first couple of months last spring during the initial outbreak because of the uncertainty and poor messaging, but motherfuckers spreading the lie that they were "fairly worthless" got a whole lot of people killed this past fall and winter.

Unfortunately, I think that the poor messaging had longer lasting effects than just the first few months. We did the masking thing consistently and still do even after fully vaccinated to keep the monkey brains at bay. You are tilting at cultural norms and headwinds that are not easily quantified into simple statements such as "imagine how many lives". It's a complex dynamic that many try to boil down to simple political affiliation but there is much more than that. 

At this point, we need to be focused on moving forward. To that, we need to be focusing the public health messaging on the new post-vax re-entry norms instead of looking back.  But I do understand the personal frustration.  

13 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I went the entire year without a goddamn cold. I've been vaxed up for a while. I'll still keep wearing this stupid fucking thing at the grocery because there are a lot of nasty motherfuckers out there. 

How I feel about Walmart. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

C7-C7-F423-CB5-B-4-BD5-B749-90-BA49-EF6-

Yep. I was pointing out how guys like you are pissed off that you can’t be blatant racists anymore. 

If anyone thinks that post is a racial slur so be it. It’s beyond pointless pointing out context to idiots like yourself.

• Like 6

Uh. WTF. That's what passes for a gotcha from the DT crowd? JJ was literally using the word to call out people who are of the exact same mindset of those who used it just a generation before and would use it now if acceptable. It's called context. JFC.  

P.S. same people who bitch and moan that rappers can say it but ordinary white folks cain't!  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Unfortunately, I think that the poor messaging had longer lasting effects than just the first few months. We did the masking thing consistently and still do even after fully vaccinated to keep the monkey brains at bay. You are tilting at cultural norms and headwinds that are not easily quantified into simple statements such as "imagine how many lives". It's a complex dynamic that many try to boil down to simple political affiliation but there is much more than that. 

At this point, we need to be focused on moving forward. To that, we need to be focusing the public health messaging on the new post-vax re-entry norms instead of looking back.  But I do understand the personal frustration.  

Tilting at a cultural norm that says masks are fairly worthless is worthwhile imo.

Are you ascribing to the argument of the defense attorneys of the people that raided Congress? They are too stupid to know better? Taken in by propaganda they were and are ill-equipped to discern as such?

1 minute ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Uh. WTF. That's what passes for a gotcha from the DT crowd? JJ was literally using the word to call out people who are of the exact same mindset of those who used it just a generation before and would use it now if acceptable. It's called context. JFC.  

P.S. same people who bitch and moan that rappers can say it but ordinary white folks cain't!  

They use the material they think they got. It’s pathetic but it’s all they have.

I wanted GRUhorn to post it and he obliged. Thanks GRUHorn. They are just fundamentally dishonest posters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I get all that, and I'm definitely looking forward to the end of all this. My office has been open for the last three weeks, and everyone has been fully vaxxed. After the first week of putting them on when we left our desks, everyone on my floor agreed that we were okay with each other not having to wear them.

My specific problem is the continued propagation of a proven lie that had profound consequences on the lives of thousands if not millions when counting friends and families.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Tilting at a cultural norm that says masks are fairly worthless is worthwhile imo.

Are you ascribing to the argument of the defense attorneys of the people that raided Congress? They are too stupid to know better? Taken in by propaganda they were and are ill-equipped to discern as such?

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

Ask a pediatrician about how many cases of RSV or rotavirus or flu they’ve seen this past year.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep. I was pointing out how guys like you are pissed off that you can’t be blatant racists anymore. 

If anyone thinks that post is a racial slur so be it. It’s beyond pointless pointing out context to idiots like yourself.

20 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Here’s a pro tip. If you’re having to explain the context behind why you’re dropping the N word in 2021, then you’ve already lost. You didn’t have to type it out. It was unnecessary. Would you say that shit out loud, in person today? Something weird in your brain made you post it and think it’s ok. And that’s your problem, not mine, the person you call a racist. Looks like you’re the one that needs to “do the work”.

Imagine if I did the same? This thread would come to a shrieking halt. Would I have anyone come to my defense talking about context or nuance? Bitch, please. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Here’s a pro tip. If you’re having to explain the context behind why you’re dropping the N word in 2021, then you’ve already lost. You didn’t have to type it out. It was unnecessary. Would you say that shit out loud, in person today? Something weird in your brain made you post it and think it’s ok. And that’s your problem, not mine, the person you call a racist. Looks like you’re the one that needs to “do the work”.

Imagine if I did the same? This thread would come to a shrieking halt. Would I have anyone come to my defense talking about context or nuance? Bitch, please. 

Maybe I shouldn't have said context to a moron. It's really not even context and certainly not nuance, it's plain fucking meaning. You're not fooling anyone with this idiotic false equivalence.  

• Hook 'Em 1