Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Cool.

Did you read the rest of the post? I explained my reasoning. They could have easily had a better narrative by just sorting entirely by sum total of those two values. It is a bad chart because it is sorted in an unexplained way, but the sorting is also not completely random. I think they weighted the various categories and assigned a value for sorting. That, or they meant to use the sum value and fucked it up. Either way, if you're trying to measure vaccine hesitancy, the chart's order is generally accurate. Do you disagree with that? Which groups should be significantly higher in your opinion?  

Edited by Dahobbs

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's complicated.

I ask because of this article. Where is the line drawn? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/nyregion/vaccinated-masks-cdc.html

Whenever Joe Glickman heads out for groceries, he places an N95 mask over his face and tugs a cloth mask on top of it. He then pulls on a pair of goggles.

He has used this safety protocol for the past 14 months. It did not change after he contracted the coronavirus last November. It didn’t budge when, earlier this month, he became fully vaccinated. And even though President Biden said on Thursday that fully vaccinated people do not have to wear a mask, Mr. Glickman said he planned to stay the course.

In fact, he said, he plans to do his grocery run double-masked and goggled for at least the next five years.

Even as a combination of evolving public health recommendations and pandemic fatigue lead more Americans to toss the masks they’ve worn for more than a year, Mr. Glickman is among those who say they plan to keep their faces covered in public indefinitely.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I ask because of this article. Where is the line drawn? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/nyregion/vaccinated-masks-cdc.html

For me, it's if I'm going to be seeing any immunocompromised family members in the next week or so, or anyone who cares for them. Being vaccinated protects you from infection, but it's still possible for your body to be carrying the virus if you were exposed to a sufficiently high viral load and your immune system hasn't finished kicking it's ass yet. 

Situations like the one you linked are the exception and not representative of baseline cautious behavior. Wearing a single facemask isn't the same as wearing two with googles etc etc. But still, who gives a shit if that person chooses to live that way? Contrary to unvaxxed antimask people, his personal decision actually doesn't hurt anyone else or increase their risk

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  I think he's being unreasonable.  BUT, his behavior does not create any risk to anyone else.

I think that strident anti-maskers have also been unreasonable, and their behavior DOES create risk to others.

I don't care what you do -- no matter how stupid or unreasonable it is (and there are SO many stupid and unreasonable things to do out there) -- so long as it doesn't impose a risk on a third party.  That's a pretty big pivot point.  I'm not mad that people are idiots.  I'm mad when their idiocy creates an increased risk for a third party.

As for me?  I'm fully vaccinated.  Wherever I am permitted to go mask-free, I do.  Where I am not, I mask up, because I respect the rules of places I'm visiting.

See the theme in my entire post above?  It's "don't be a dick."  Just don't be a dick.

This is me too. Thanks for responding.

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

For me, it's if I'm going to be seeing any immunocompromised family members in the next week or so, or anyone who cares for them. Being vaccinated protects you from infection, but it's still possible for your body to be carrying the virus if you were exposed to a sufficiently high viral load and your immune system hasn't finished kicking it's ass yet. 

Situations like the one you linked are the exception and not representative of baseline cautious behavior. Wearing a single facemask isn't the same as wearing two with googles etc etc. But still, who gives a shit if that person chooses to live that way? Contrary to unvaxxed antimask people, his personal decision actually doesn't hurt anyone else or increase their risk

I agree with you. Taking it a step further where I think we would diverge a bit I would guess, is in vaccinating children and masks on or around kids. I understand it's being reported that vaccines are safe for kids/teens, but I don't think vaccinating kids/teens (and children 12 and under) is in the cards for me and mine at this point in the game. If we've reached a point where vaccination of kids/teens is a luxury and not a requirement or mandate, then I think we are probably at an 80/20 with this thing.

44 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Now do wearing a mask post vaccine. 

It’s like getting a drink of water with that aforementioned plate and fork

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  I think he's being unreasonable.  BUT, his behavior does not create any risk to anyone else.

I think that strident anti-maskers have also been unreasonable, and their behavior DOES create risk to others.

I don't care what you do -- no matter how stupid or unreasonable it is (and there are SO many stupid and unreasonable things to do out there) -- so long as it doesn't impose a risk on a third party.  That's a pretty big pivot point.  I'm not mad that people are idiots.  I'm mad when their idiocy creates an increased risk for a third party.

As for me?  I'm fully vaccinated.  Wherever I am permitted to go mask-free, I do.  Where I am not, I mask up, because I respect the rules of places I'm visiting.

See the theme in my entire post above?  It's "don't be a dick."  Just don't be a dick.

This here.

I got it admit. I have thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed not having to go to physical meetings anymore. I multitask like a motherfucker during zoom meetings.No travel time/ commute is a huge win. When we start having that bullshit again, there goes the productivity right out the window. Hopefully some of these motherfuckers have realized some of the positive differences Covid protocols have made.

By being productive, I mean posting on Surly and reading baseball stats.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I got it admit. I have thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed not having to go to physical meetings anymore. I multitask like a motherfucker during zoom meetings. When we start having that bullshit again, there goes the productivity right out the window. Hopefully some of these motherfuckers have realized some of the positive differences Covid protocols have made.

Upside though - available for fewer meetings

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Insane people are going to do insane things. Dude needs help.

dude needs Cartman's 6 foot stick as well or the Costco guy's 6 foot noodle  circle getup from early in the pandemic.

at least he's using an N95 and probably wears if properly.  the goggles are a bit much IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, dcar00 said:

no one is mad about masks.  they are fairly but not completely worthless against covid but wearing it now for radical Dems is about being able to recognize the tribe.  it's dumb but then again being dumb is exactly what radical Dems do best.

No. This is an obtuse take and you're smart enough to know that. 

Is Journey the "Don't Stop Believing" Journey or another band? The answer will determine if I can name even half the names in the first two lines.

Arnel Pineda has been the lead singer for Journey a lot longer than Steve Perry.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

The 7th deadly sin should not be Gluttony but Willful Obtusity.    

I guess it may be "obtuseness" but I like obtusity more.

No, we should absolutely keep Gluttony as a deadly sin. Lets get rid of Lust. And the corresponding Humility (Chasity) can be replaced with Education.

Honestly, I think I may keep masking when out in public because:

I like the fact that I'm at least maybe possibly making it harder for facial recognition software to recognize me.

I'm starting to get some looks, and I like to stare those assholes down, or if I'm in a good mood, loudly say "How ya doing?" like I know them or something.

I haven't had a cold in over a year. I credit the masks.

I won't ever be mistaken for a republican.

edit; forgot one- I like the bandit look.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It was sarcasm.

I would argue that the correct way to present that information is not in terms of percentages but in terms of actual people in each demographic and subgroup.  A counter could be made that there is probably some good in spreading the vaccines around, perhaps even at the cost of somewhat fewer shots in arms ASAP, but that's pure conjecture.

You are going to fail to reach a large portion of the population this way.  Presenting facts and evidence is not how you motivate many people.  We are emotional beings and everyone in marketing and sales knows this.   It is why some people latch on the disbelief in global warming, evolution, etc.  There is ZERO evidence that will cause them to change their false beliefs.  There are ZERO internet posts that will do this.  

Vaccination and Masking has to be marketed either by fear or by reward.   Making it socially unacceptable to be unvaccinated will help.   Make it seem like you are an awful person for getting and spreading the disease.  Something.  Have a simple message for all, and have targeted messages for communities of holdouts.  

The concept of the social contract needs needs to ingrained more than idolatry. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You are going to fail to reach a large portion of the population this way.  Presenting facts and evidence is not how you motivate many people.  We are emotional beings and everyone in marketing and sales knows this.   It is why some people latch on the disbelief in global warming, evolution, etc.  There is ZERO evidence that will cause them to change their false beliefs.  There are ZERO internet posts that will do this.  

Vaccination and Masking has to be marketed either by fear or by reward.   Making it socially unacceptable to be unvaccinated will help.   Make it seem like you are an awful person for getting and spreading the disease.  Something.  Have a simple message for all, and have targeted messages for communities of holdouts.  

I'm not sure what you're pushing back on.  I was simply saying that presenting the various demographics by percentage loses the impact of the number of people who might be targeted.  If 50% of a group of 100 people are open to the vaccine, and 20% of a group of 10 million people are open to the vaccine, where do we aim the message?  At 50 people, or 2 million people?  (Numbers exaggerated for effect.)

As far as people being "emotional" is concerned, I prefer to think of it as people are the by-product of a failing educational system.  An increasingly larger percentage of human beings simply do not know how to think, how to tackle large or complicated issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Now I wish there wasn’t a vaccine.

jesus christ that is a terrible line up. i'm getting old, i guess. there's 5-6 bands i'm remotely interested in seeing. and only one on the third line. everything else is line 5 and lower.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

jesus christ that is a terrible line up. i'm getting old, i guess. there's 5-6 bands i'm remotely interested in seeing. and only one on the third line. everything else is line 5 and lower.

This Foo Fighters slander will not stand.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Can we make those unwilling to vaccinate fight a large dog? If they make it through they can decline the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Now do wearing a mask post vaccine. 

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's complicated.

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Insane people are going to do insane things. Dude needs help.

8 hours ago, slorch said:

It’s like getting a drink of water with that aforementioned plate and fork

Soon (but given the lead time from first vaccination->fully vaccinated maybe not quite yet) fairly pointless, but also entirely harmless to others. The same dipshits (broadly of course, not in our esteemed company) who bitched and moaned and fought about masks on our way to 600k dead Americans in a year and a half are often the people making stupid comments about mask virtue signaling. Those people have no virtue.

I’ll take my mask off when I’m fully vaccinated, which will still be in another 10 days. Might wear one again if I’m feeling sick. I kinda like the idea of wearing one on a plane although I’m sure that’s somewhat pointless.

Edited by Celery Man