Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Thanks for posting this dipshit so everyone can see what a disingenuous poster you are, although you’ve already proven that a hundred times over.

It just jumps off the page. I’m not reading Huckleberry Finn. I’m reading a liberal political forum in 2021. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

tenor.gif

Oh do you need some quotes?

“One strategy is to say, ‘Look, I was misled, I misunderstood this, I’m sorry. I now know I shouldn’t have done this, that that was wrong, but I was watching all these people on TV and I heard what the President said,’” Sandick said. “Not that that would excuse what was done, but it might be a mitigating fact for some judges at sentencing.” 

“A lot of these defendants — and I’m going to use this colloquial term, perhaps disrespectfully — but they’re all fucking short-bus people,” Watkins told TPM. “These are people with brain damage, they’re fucking retarded, they’re on the goddamn spectrum.” 

“But they’re our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, our coworkers — they’re part of our country. These aren’t bad people, they don’t have prior criminal history. Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.” 

So, yeah it's totally not their fault for not seeing the value in a mask. Or believing all manner of bullshit about vaccination.

Because they are simpletons and were led astray.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

but wearing it now for radical Dems

Painting the desire for our populace to wear masks during a pandemic as radical anything, much less a political party, is peak idiocy for our hyperpartisan political climate.

Wearing a mask during highly infectious influenza or coronovirus seasons is a commonly accepted practice. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Maybe I shouldn't have said context to a moron. It's really not even context and certainly not nuance, it's plain fucking meaning. You're not fooling anyone with this idiotic false equivalence.  

Hey go speak Jimmy’s initial post out loud in casual conversation. Maybe in front of some minorities. It’ll go over great. You can explain what you meant. And they can tell you to stfu, and rightfully so.

Goodnight, y’all. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

We finally have the opportunity to openly discuss, between conservatives and liberals, the failed public health response by the former administration to a global pandemic that has resulted in 580,000+ dead Americans and... we’ve let GRHorn successfully turn it into a referendum on whether JJ said ‘nigger’ or not?

I am disappointed in you, Surly Liberal Cabal.  Nevar Forget!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

For history admirer - this is a meta thread of how we got to this point in America. 

Let me give you an example:

The closest I can get to the cause of the present state of affairs is: the reviled Napoleon III.

Napoleon III seized power and employed wretched scum to do his dirty work. Volunteers always tagged along to help their brothers out. Nasty lot. Brutish. And dumb. Real dumb. I seriously doubt if any one of you has met a person like that.

Well this Napoleon III sidled up to ole' Maximillian I of Mexico, secretly, of course - it's a Napoleon. 

To cut to the chase - rumor is - is there was somone in Texas bent his knee to France.

My contention is if we find that person, we can identify the first aggy. 

Who are the resident Maximillian I of Mexico experts around here. I have never known much about French Texas.

Which just goes to say.

It's hopefully coming to a close. Too much death and suffering. And we need to work together. There is a lot of damage out there.

No need to make more. Be kinder, perhaps?

~Lyndon Johnson's soul.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Uh. WTF. That's what passes for a gotcha from the DT crowd? JJ was literally using the word to call out people who are of the exact same mindset of those who used it just a generation before and would use it now if acceptable. It's called context. JFC.  

P.S. same people who bitch and moan that rappers can say it but ordinary white folks cain't!  

Actually, he was calling me out, by name. And I find it insulting and fucking reprehensible.  So he can go fuck himself and take his racist rhetoric somewhere else. 

And I’m sure y’all would be super cool if it was sack or some other conservative making that same statement.  Just goes to show when in the echo chamber, you can literally say whatever you want if you claim to be on the right team. 

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Who are the resident Maximillian I of Mexico experts around here.

My great great grandfather was a mercenary in his army, said fuck that shit, deserted and swam across the rio grande near laredo to settle down with a nice german woman by the name of marguerita. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

taken under consideration. also thinking of moving the texas only covid thread as well.

main problem i got is screwing up the continuity of the CR thread and the DT one won't mix well. it'll be a mess.

Why in the fuck would you do that? That’s the only thread on COVID that hasn’t turned into a raging shitfest. Some of us actually do read the COVID threads for info. Since you moved this thread to CR it’s added 3 pages of nonsense, without the move it probably wouldn’t have added more than 20 posts. Congrats? Seems like a temp banning of 5-10 posters would accomplish a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

For history admirer - this is a meta thread of how we got to this point in America. 
Let me give you an example:

The closest I can get to the cause of the present state of affairs is: the reviled Napoleon III.
Napoleon III seized power and employed wretched scum to do his dirty work. Volunteers always tagged along to help their brothers out. Nasty lot. Brutish. And dumb. Real dumb. I seriously doubt if any one of you has met a person like that.
Well this Napoleon III sidled up to ole' Maximillian I of Mexico, secretly, of course - it's a Napoleon. 
To cut to the chase - rumor is - is there was somone in Texas bent his knee to France.
My contention is if we find that person, we can identify the first aggy. 

Who are the resident Maximillian I of Mexico experts around here. I have never known much about French Texas.
Which just goes to say.
It's hopefully coming to a close. Too much death and suffering. And we need to work together. There is a lot of damage out there.
~Lyndon Johnson's soul.

Well Tapatalk seems to have fucked this up pretty good

Max I of Mexico was actually Ferdinand Habsburg-Lothringen, younger brother of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria. His namesake (2 of their collective elleventy names match) great nephew Ferdinand Habsburg races in LMP2.

79e6369ac7b39b406d895a257dc03eca.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My great great grandfather was a mercenary in his army, said fuck that shit, deserted and swam across the rio grande near laredo to settle down with a nice german woman by the name of marguerita. 

Well, If I can prove my theory, I may learn the identity of aggy - who tried to sell Texas and your great grandpappy to Napolean and France. This will not stand. We must avenge. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Sure, but imagine how many lives could've been saved if the simple act of wearing a mask would've been accepted as the normal, responsible, and logical behavior throughout the course of the pandemic. I'll give folks a pass on the first couple of months last spring during the initial outbreak because of the uncertainty and poor messaging, but motherfuckers spreading the lie that they were "fairly worthless" got a whole lot of people killed this past fall and winter.

Tbf, the majority of ppl I saw followed the rules. It was actually pretty surprising given how selfish Americans can be. Outside of some masd gatherings & protests it seemed like 95%+ were masked, distancing, etc.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Which just goes to say.
~Lyndon Johnson's soul.
Max I of Mexico was actually Ferdinand Habsburg-Lothringen, younger brother of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria. His namesake (2 of their collective elleventy names match) great nephew Ferdinand Habsburg races in LMP2.

79e6369ac7b39b406d895a257dc03eca.jpg

It's that damn Hapsburg jaw - isn't it. I'll be damned. 

Thanks. That fills in another piece. 

Do they cover this in Texas History (every damn year)? They should.

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Vaccines were always the endgame and the promise of return to normalcy. 

• Which groups are actively anti-vaccine?
  • Why are some Christian Churches anti-vaccine?
  • What overlap is there between the anti-vaccine movements of the past and this current anti-vaccine movement?
  • TLDR: How can we get more shots in arms faster? Carrots/Sticks.
    • The economic headwinds remain rather brisk.

America needs those in America to pitch in and get poked. Encourage your friends and family. If you are a kind soul, encourage the people you love to hate.

Good seeing distancing and masks in San Diego area. Wish we had more injections in arms.

Mobile vaccinations may prove valuable to hyper-localize delivery of the vaccination.

I saw a rumbling that Pfizer may be fine at fridge temps for some amount of time. 

Just now, washparkhorn said:
  • Which groups are actively anti-vaccine?
  • Why are some Christian Churches anti-vaccine?
  • What overlap is there between the anti-vaccine movements of the past and this current anti-vaccine movement?
  • TLDR: How can we get more shots in arms faster? Carrots/Sticks.
    • The economic headwinds remain rather brisk.

America needs those in America to pitch in and get poked. Encourage your friends and family. If you are a kind soul, encourage the people you love to hate.

Anyone under 70% already vaccinated, and under the same threshold combined already and ASAP are your targets. And particular focus should be given to segments where the greatest disparity between already vaccinated and want to get vaccinated ASAP exists. 

Screenshot-2021-05-19-005537.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

For those concerned about China and other enemy threats, the April 2021 threat assessment has an interesting contention. Our laggardly adoption of the vaccine concludes China is evidence to our allies we are losing our edge. A failure of preparedness.

Spoiler

From the unclassified version: "China is touting its success containing the COVID-19 pandemic as evidence of the superiority of its superiority to the United States.  That message resonates with some of our more authoritarian allies, creating an unwanted cleave in our hull.

This is according to the threat assessment. Published by the Office of National Intelligence. Free to the public.

Prolonged delay paints a giant target on our ass. It lowers our readiness as a nation.

Civil discord - here - when many enemies dream of civil war - here - is self-destructive.  Time to let the healers heal and the rest of you to look ahead. And get fit. (just not a fitness cult - no politics ever in the gym. It's better if you say nothing at all. But I digress . . .

In all seriousness - If you have any role in the defense of the nation - including civilian contractors - get the damn shot. Get everyone around you to vaccinate. It protects you, and it protects the nation in a blanket of preventative immunity (your job). Your nation is asking to do your part. I think that's part of your duty - and a duty of civilians during public health emergencies as well. Maintain preparedness.

That's your job. 

Thank you for your service. Seriously. A lot of you are unsung.  Along with those in the healing arts and the front line workers out there still there keeping the nation running.

~ now I just need to dig up Frank Capra and have him film it:

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

My daughter calls that place Unfiltered Humanity. Unless I absolutely have to go there I avoid it and that started well before the pandemic.

Their online division is legit though. It was the only place for 8-9 months to reliably get my favorite brand of tp for my bunghole. 

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Their online division is legit though. It was the only place for 8-9 months to reliably get my favorite brand of tp for my bunghole. 

But, then I wouldn't have gotten my Hello Kitty tp bale at 99Ranch. They were the first store I saw counting heads and disinfecting buggies. Whole pallet of tp sitting there waiting for asses. This ass did not pass.

8 hours ago, tchookem said:

Well this is the political COVID thread.

Hahahahaha.

Actually it isn't. Or wasn't.

Two days. Two fucking days after this thread was started, I began a thread in the CR because it was that obvious. Perhaps had I not done so, this specific thread would've been moved sooner over to CR, but that would mean admitting a mistake--something I never mind doing, even on the internet. In the mostly anonymous space, people will double down before taking that risk. Fascinating.

Mask. Don't mask. I don't care.

Pants. No pants. I don't care, but make sure you have some bail money set aside.

Keep calm and carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Hahahahaha.
Actually it isn't. Or wasn't.
Two days. Two fucking days after this thread was started, I began a thread in the CR because it was that obvious. Perhaps had I not done so, this specific thread would've been moved sooner over to CR, but that would mean admitting a mistake--something I never mind doing, even on the internet. In the mostly anonymous space, people will double down before taking that risk. Fascinating.
Mask. Don't mask. I don't care.
Pants. No pants. I don't care, but make sure you have some bail money set aside.
Keep calm and carry on.

I care. Because I live in a society and the actions of idiots can harm us. It is why we don’t allow morons the freedom to drink and drive.

It is obvious who has kids under 12 in politics and on here just from their attitudes.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I care. Because I live in a society and the actions of idiots can harm us. It is why we don’t allow morons the freedom to drink and drive.

It is obvious who has kids under 12 in politics and on here just from their attitudes.

I care enough that I still mask out in public, but given our political leadership I can only do so much. So, I completely 'get' your perspective because children are still vulnerable and who knows what the future will bring with respect to the virus being with us. However, I am not going to be changing people's opinions in the grocery store or on a message board. I vote based on what I'd like to see in my community, my state, and my country.

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Anyone under 70% already vaccinated, and under the same threshold combined already and ASAP are your targets. And particular focus should be given to segments where the greatest disparity between already vaccinated and want to get vaccinated ASAP exists. 

Screenshot-2021-05-19-005537.jpg

What a horrible graph. What methodology did they use to sort the bars? Seems like they are pushing certain "groups" to the bottom to emphasize a narrative. 

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

We finally have the opportunity to openly discuss, between conservatives and liberals, the failed public health response by the former administration to a global pandemic that has resulted in 580,000+ dead Americans and... we’ve let GRHorn successfully turn it into a referendum on whether JJ said ‘nigger’ or not?

Way to drop the N-bomb.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So, Republicans.

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, Republicans.

Reading stacked bar charts: the struggle is real.  Hispanic adults, Ages 18-29, Independents, Black adults, and Urban residents all look to be more reachable.  People that choose not to get it can FAAFO.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, Republicans.

If the intent is to quickly close gaps, I would work on Hispanics, Independents, and 30-49 year olds.  Should be the easiest groups to close based on meeting where they are already at (wanting the shot ASAP). Seventeen, 11, and 11% of each of those categories meaningfully moves the needle.  Some of the nuts are going to be harder to crack and require longer run. Hit the low hanging fruit first. 

• Hook 'Em 5

53 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

What a horrible graph. What methodology did they use to sort the bars? Seems like they are pushing certain "groups" to the bottom to emphasize a narrative. 

The image he posted isn't showing up for me anymore, and I can't remember the precise figures. That said, I clearly recall that Republicans were near or at the bottom of the chart. If you're unhappy with that "narrative" you're more than welcome to peruse the findings of another recent poll.

vaccine-dvr-1024x768.png

Earlier during the nation’s vaccine rollout, issues with access, such as lack of transportation or Internet access to sign up for appointments, raised concerns about the logistical hurdles separating the public from much-needed protection against the virus. But at this point in the pandemic, politics may be a greater predictor of one’s inclination to get vaccinated. Republicans were less likely to say they’ve already been vaccinated, at 45 percent, and more likely to say they do not plan to get vaccinated, at 41 percent. Just 4 percent of Democrats and 27 percent of independent voters said they do not plan to get vaccinated, according to this latest poll.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/as-more-americans-get-vaccinated-41-of-republicans-still-refuse-covid-19-shots

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Actually, he was calling me out, by name. And I find it insulting and fucking reprehensible.  So he can go fuck himself and take his racist rhetoric somewhere else. 

And I’m sure y’all would be super cool if it was sack or some other conservative making that same statement.  Just goes to show when in the echo chamber, you can literally say whatever you want if you claim to be on the right team. 

As I have said to you before, Sack literally did just that. The thread title is something about Dennis Prager, so search that and you will see him do exactly that.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, looks like they did the sort on values that are not represented.  The fact that the bars don't stack and right justify causes me emotional trauma. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

Reading stacked bar charts: the struggle is real.  Hispanic adults, Ages 18-29, Independents, Black adults, and Urban residents all look to be more reachable.  People that choose not to get it can FAAFO.

It was sarcasm.

I would argue that the correct way to present that information is not in terms of percentages but in terms of actual people in each demographic and subgroup.  A counter could be made that there is probably some good in spreading the vaccines around, perhaps even at the cost of somewhat fewer shots in arms ASAP, but that's pure conjecture.

26 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

As I have said to you before, Sack literally did just that. The thread title is something about Dennis Prager, so search that and you will see him do exactly that.

Just based on a quick search, Johnny has gone hard r six times.

21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Based on my highly scientific observations, if you put a vaccination site on an OReillys/Auto Zone parking lot, we could get all the non-mask wearing public shots in arms.

After that, a free double-quarter pounder and large fries aught to take care of any remaining stragglers.

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, looks like they did the sort on values that are not represented.  The fact that the bars don't stack and right justify causes me emotional trauma. 

Yes, the chart is bad but it appears to be mostly sorted based on the combined value of "at least one dose" and "get vaccinated ASAP." There are a couple that don't quite line up, but for the most part that is the pattern. I suspect they had some sort of weighted analysis that isn't shown to get the order.  I'm not convinced the ordering is to reach a narrative because under just the combination of those two categories, they could have placed Black Adults and Ages 30-49 above White Evangelical Christians and Independents.