Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

A fun experiment would be to go back in this thread to March 2020 and find some choice quotes from our resident DT epidemiologists and see what their views were then. Surely they knew 100% of everything to know about covid at that time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

A fun experiment would be to go back in this thread to March 2020 and find some choice quotes from our resident DT epidemiologists and see what their views were then. Surely they knew 100% of everything to know about covid at that time.

No they were all telling us the China virus was no worse than the flu.

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To a certain population, changing your opinion as more information becomes available makes you an idiot. Digging your feet in and never altering from your original position, regardless of new data, is definitely what real men do.

Apparently his boss did a lot of that too.

So am I the only one that thinks that the CDC knew exactly what they were doing waiting this long to give vaccinated people this "carrot"? I bet they've known for awhile that they were going to take away all mask mandates on the same day. I think that they were just buying time to allow everyone who wanted one to get shot up because they knew that, the moment that they said vaccinated people don't have to wear masks, mother fucking everyone would be done with them, vax or not. Having no faith in society is about as reliable as science gets.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So am I the only one that thinks that the CDC knew exactly what they were doing waiting this long to give vaccinated people this "carrot"? I bet they've known for awhile that they were going to take away all mask mandates on the same day. I think that they were just buying time to allow everyone who wanted one to get shot up because they knew that, the moment that they said vaccinated people don't have to wear masks, mother fucking everyone would be done with them, vax or not. Having no faith in society is about as reliable as science gets.

Nah, I don't give them that much credit.  I think the "they said" is a bogus part of this, that they were reacting to the national sentiment, not setting a precedent.  I think that a ton of people across the country either never really paid attention to them, or stopped more or less completely some months ago.  Granted, when they lifted this, a bunch of people who might listen to them de-masked, but I think a much larger majority saw it as "well, if the acolytes feel like they have the green light, then I can rip off the s.o.b. without hassle."  More like most people don't listen to them but react to them lifting their own curtain.  I agree with you that once they said take 'em off, everyone would be done with them, but more that they won't feel hassled to take them off, not that they believe the CDC.

And this seems to be exactly what happened today when I was in HEB, which (I guess) still has a "masks recommended or required" or something.  But at least 40% of the people in the store weren't wearing masks.  I took mine off and shopped.  No one said a word, and I passed at least 3-4 HEB employees, including 2-3 bigger wigs (managers).  They didn't seem to care now, either.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The CDC has devolved into a propaganda outlet. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Just poor messaging.  That’s great you’re just now further confirming the vaccines are safe, but you don’t have to announce it. All that tells someone who was on the fence was that they weren’t sure until recently. Dumb.  “It’s safe, get vaccinated” is all that needs to be said.  Over and over. 

It’s not that. It’s that the actual numbers are plummeting. She is actually using the data to drive policy. That’s how it’s supposed to work

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s not that. It’s that the actual numbers are plummeting. She is actually using the data to drive policy. That’s how it’s supposed to work

Yeah, this.  The conspiracy theories are silly.

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This is the same lady that was literally crying on TV about the carnage that variants were about to wreck on the united states a couple months ago. If you want data and not emotion to drive public health policy, I agree.  Not sure we have a standard bearer here though. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is the same lady that was literally crying on TV about the carnage that variants were about to wreck on the united states a couple months ago. If you want data and not emotion to drive public health policy, I agree.  Not sure we have a standard bearer here though. 

When were those comments made relative to the uptick in cases earlier this spring?

image.thumb.png.a87d0647da1ea3aace6729674e9c532b.png

I think at this point it is clear that 

cases are plummeting

breakthrough infections do not generally cause significant illness 

it is likely that breakthrough infections do no cause significant spread

• Hook 'Em 1

i dont get the anti-mask cult. no one is infringing on your rights and when mandates go-away who cares if people continue to wear mask.

how does it impact you. i am definitely going to wear a mask in certain situation permanently. people are fucking gross and the mask provides some level of protection.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

More nonsense from CDC director - she is simply incapable of communicating clearly and effectively.  She really needs to stop going on TV and the CDC needs a new director.

this is absolutely fucking hilarious. holy shit.

Guest Lobo

15 months later, people still get off on verbally, and often physically, harassing store managers who certainly aren't paid enough to deal with this kinda shit.  This is the kinda behavior at a Costco I'd expect from a Karen or a Pilot'sError of the world...but Ricky Schroder?  If he really, truly cared about store policy and freedom...he would have used his name/mid-level star power and had his agent connect him directly with a C-level person at Costco, or at worst a regional VP.  Gotten into a meeting with that guy to discuss how Costco should embrace new guidelines.  Somebody who is paid to deal with shit like this.  But instead he just berates some manager guy who just needs the Costco health insurance and employee discount.  

GRhorn must have needed a costco sized bundle of paper towels after watching this video over and over again.  

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Or people could get the Flu vaccine every year 

The flu and Covid 19 shots aren't vaccines.  They are boosters.  People still get Covid 19 and the flu even if they have had the jab.  This is because there are no vaccines for the 350+ coronavirus' that exist.

A vaccine prevents you from getting a disease.  

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

15 months later, people still get off on verbally, and often physically, harassing store managers

This has nothing to do with Covid and everything to do with being a complete asshole. People have been harassing Customer Service people since they started charging 10 cents to travel on the Le Petomane Thruway.

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, somewhat confusingly, says they are aware of 223 people who have died with covid after being vaccinated.

"Not all of those 223 cases who had covid actually died of covid from the vaccine. They Most may have had mild disease but died, for example, of a heart attack. underlying conditions which the vaccination exacerbated. Overall,we are seeing fewer issues with the mRNA COVID vaccines than we have seen with the flu vaccine or other common vaccines." pic.twitter.com/KmjbrXnd1k

image.png.843d6aa82874283096e7bd1f7077c451.png

fuck it.  who cares what works.

I think Walmart just said that employees and customers that are vaxxed don't need masks.  which just means, no masks are required.  I think that policy is  fair.  Other retailers will probably move to that strategy.  just post it on the door and update your employee policy.

If a store is still 'recommending' masks, I'll take it out of my pocket and put it on for now.  Specs was that way and it was still ~80% wearing masks in Dallas last week.  If the employees are not wearing them, then they should not be required.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We've flattened the curve. Now let's finish this.

We're still talking about people, right?  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I appreciate the Thinning of the Heard. If you aren't smart enough or too weak to get a vaccine, we don't need your genes being passed along. 

Pretty much where I am at as it pertains to the morons. This could be a blessing.

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I appreciate the Thinning of the Heard. If you aren't smart enough or too weak to get a vaccine, we don't need your genes being passed along. 

I herd it through the grapevine.

20 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Another fun experiment would be to just go back in this thread to March 2021 and revisit all the death and destruction that removing the mask Mandate in Texas was going to cause.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Another fun experiment would be to just go back in this thread to March 2021 and revisit all the death and destruction that removing the mask Mandate in Texas was going to cause.  

Why not go back further and share all of the posts mocking this virus as nothing more than the flu?

but I do agree with you that the projections of carnage during your desired window were wildly wrong and didn’t factor in the fact that the vaccine was making its way through the most vulnerable populations.

but mostly, I just don’t think your “side” should want any part of a gotcha hindsight tour.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away