Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Did everyone know Cohen went to Cooley? I just found this out.  Cooley is famous for being the worst accredited law school in America, so they came up with their own ranking system in which they came out at a humble second, behind Harvard.  

worse than aggy?

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Did everyone know Cohen went to Cooley? I just found this out.  Cooley is famous for being the worst accredited law school in America, so they came up with their own ranking system in which they came out at a humble second, behind Harvard.  

Worse than this place?

tumblr_nlsdaaz5UM1uqzhjmo3_r1_500.gif

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Yeah, I noted that.  Oddly enough, I have a friend who went there.  Michigan undergrad (and from the area), so I have never embarrassed him by seeking details on how that came to be.  I do understand that, unlike most law schools, Cooley will fail you out early and often.

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Cohen’s phones were tapped. I’d be shocked if Mueller *isn't* getting fired 

Oh Jesus. Let us never forget we lived through this period.  20 years from now we will be watching amazing retrospectives talking about how before this quaint little Watergate seemed like a big deal.  

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, look. They intercepted at least one phone call between the White House and Cohen.

I wonder what they talked about.

“Look.  Mike.  I need you to wire one hundred thirty thousand ... uh ... bananas to the ... um ... lunch box ... number 059362748.  I’ll reimbur... er ... someone will reimburse you out of someone’s campaign funds.”

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Based on everything we know about the guy, he was not really a lawyer in any conventional sense,  more of a "fixer" and arm-twister who had a law degree for appearance's sake. The degree itself was just window dressing, so it may as well be from the worst school in the country.

3 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

The evidence they have on Cohen must be fucking epic. A) In order to get the warrant to spy/raid. B) 99% of the words between he and trump were likely incriminating for a whole host of crimes. 

Can't wait for his perp walk. 

Yeah it's worth reiterating how high the bar must have been to get a warrant to tap the phones of the POTUS's personal attorney. Basically actively ongoing clear criminal activity. Incredible.

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

The evidence they have on Cohen must be fucking epic. A) In order to get the warrant to spy/raid. B) 99% of the words between he and trump were likely incriminating for a whole host of crimes. 

Can't wait for his perp walk. 

This is based on extensive knowledge of covert operations from ABC dramas, but  it seems to me no one would know that a call to the White House was intercepted unless it was also relevant to a crime. These warrants require you to stop listening on irrelevant chatter for privacy reasons and get rid of it.  And they didn’t get rid of this one, so ...

Hannity won't be getting in legal hot water over stuff Trump is doing. Hannity has been a willing collaborator at every step of this and has inserted himself directly into it with things like covert correspondence with Julian Assange. He's in legal hot water entirely due to his own actions. 

He will however likely be caught due to stuff Trump is doing. Hannity is smart enough to cover his tracks and get away with shit, but he's surrounded by idiots and that will ultimately bring him down. 

Edited by Pods

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Legitimate media can't make mistakes like this anymore, even if they have corrected.  Be better, please. 

Pretty big fucking correction. That said, I believe NBC was honestly reporting facts “according to two people with knowledge of the legal proceedings involving Cohen.”

Major part of the problem is that almost all of the sources are in the Trump or Trump affiliated. The inside info they are getting is coming from chronic liars. I think many of these are intentionally leaked incorrectly to force the media to retract it, softening the stance. 

If the initial news was monitoring, it's still huge news. It only seems lesser in comparison to when we thought they were actually listening to each one. 

This has been part of continuous pattern of leaking to soften and distort the actual events and it has been highly successful. 

33 minutes ago, Pods said:

Hannity won't be getting in legal hot water over stuff Trump is doing. Hannity has been a willing collaborator at every step of this and has inserted himself directly into it with things like covert correspondence with Julian Assange. He's in legal hot water entirely due to his own actions. 

He will however likely be caught due to stuff Trump is doing. Hannity is smart enough to cover his tracks and get away with shit, but he's surrounded by idiots and that will ultimately bring him down. 

I was referring more to Hannity having shady stuff exposed by Cohen/Trump. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was referring more to Hannity having shady stuff exposed by Cohen/Trump. 

Gotcha, then we're definitely on the same page. You're only as strong as your weakest link and Hannity is surrounded by imbeciles. 

What Hank Kingsley and Pig said.  That's a massive fucking correction that could've been avoided with any fact checking structure based on a sense of patience and integrity.  That seems like something that could've been confirmed within a half hour.  It's sloppy and impulsive.  And that's on the entire network, not just an individual pundit, so any equivocating with Hannity or Fox News is useless.  It's way too common and I doubt anybody will have their nose rubbed into that stain on the dining room carpet.  This should be a way bigger blemish than it is in today's news environment.  

That sack of egg flatulence, Chuck Todd, was just on in the background.  He had George Will on his idiotic program, which is like watching a Rolls-Royce participate in a monster truck show and the venue is in a sewer.  Chuck Todd idly called Rudy Guliani Trump's "leading attorney."  George Will, then asked "Is he the leading attorney?"  Todd laughed like he purposely set up the punchline. Will asked again "I mean, is he?  Who is he leading?"  Todd giggled and listed Trump's other attorneys and desperately wanted that shrugged off.  George Will is too polite to stab the guy in the throat on his own show.  Overall, it was fairly innocuous.  The point is that words matter to people like George Will.  The contrast between newsmen was stark, especially on the same day and network that made the other massive gaffe.     

I still don’t understand why the story was news in the first place.

WE KNEW COHEN WAS UNDER SURVEILLANCE WHEN HE WAS RAIDED.

It’s almost like this nothing-really-new story was deliberately pushed so Giuliani could go off on the Deep State and fake news media for fucking up the story.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s almost like this nothing-really-new story was deliberately pushed so Giuliani could go off on the Deep State and fake news media for fucking up the story.

If so, that's on them.  Take twenty minutes and get it right without jeopardizing your own rectitude.  Heh, rectitude.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5688187/Trump-lawyer-Michael-Cohen-WIRETAPPED-FBI-raid.html

Rudy Giuliani came out swinging Thursday following a report – later retracted – that federal investigators had tapped phones belonging to President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen.

NBC News reported that the wiretaps were in place during the weeks before agents raided Cohen's home, offices and hotel room on April 9.

But the network later walked its story back, broadcasting an update on MSNBC that read: 'Correction: Feds are monitoring, not listening to Cohen's calls.' 

Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who is the president's newest legal spokesman, was furious that the news was leaked at all, and had said Attorney General Jeff Sessions should intervene and put the people behind the Cohen probe 'under investigation.'

'I am waiting for the attorney general to step in, in his role as defender of justice, and put these people under investigation,' Giuliani told The Hill, a Washington, D.C. newspaper.

He predicted the president would be outraged by the prospect of the FBI listening to private conversations with the man who was recently his attorney, and conceded that he would have to tell Trump that 'the Department of Justice seems to want to trample all over the Constitution of the United States.'

Ultimately, Giuliani said in a separate interview, he doesn't believe there was a wiretap – even though prosecutors in New York have already said in court filings that they had also obtained warrants to sift through Cohen's email accounts. 

Giuliani was technically right. 

and there you have it. i have no doubt trump's camp pushed this out there. 

1 minute ago, Chooky said:

If so, that's on them.  Take twenty minutes and get it right without jeopardizing your own rectitude.  Heh, rectitude.

and yes, 100% of this. nbc was duped, because they didn't have the patience to chase the story to ground

Looks like the media has gotten depantsed again. They need to start being more critical of their sources and their respective reliability. 

54 minutes ago, Pods said:

Major part of the problem is that almost all of the sources are in the Trump or Trump affiliated. The inside info they are getting is coming from chronic liars. I think many of these are intentionally leaked incorrectly to force the media to retract it, softening the stance. 

If the initial news was monitoring, it's still huge news. It only seems lesser in comparison to when we thought they were actually listening to each one. 

This has been part of continuous pattern of leaking to soften and distort the actual events and it has been highly successful. 

Edited by Pods

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

and yes, 100% of this. nbc was duped, because they didn't have the patience to chase the story to ground

How was NBC supposed to vet a story when multiple historically reliable sources were fed misleading information intentionally?

All I’m saying is we are dealing with some of the most notorious media manipulators when it comes to criminal investigations in NYC.

IMO, NBC should have never run the story but if they didn’t, would they feel like they were neglecting their responsibility of keeping the public informed?  It’s a you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

They need to burn their sources when their sources burn them. Yes they lose the source, but the source isn't reliable anyway. Stop enabling the Trump camp to soft pedal so many breaking news events. It softens the news and promotes the narrative that the MSM is unreliable. 

This is big fucking news. They had enough probable cause to get a warrant to monitor his calls.  It's only not huge news because NBC fucked up. 

Edited by Pods
  • Like 2

The desire to scoop the competition has always existed.  In the past, with newspapers going to print (at most) twice daily and television news broadcasts only happening in the evening, there was a little time to verify stories.  On top of that was an overriding fear of being wrong.

Now, it's "first to broadcast", truth be damned.  The whole industry is in the crapper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now, it's "first to broadcast", truth be damned.  The whole industry is in the crapper.

For some yes but I think this problem has gotten a lot better over the past year.  There are many stories media outlets are just sitting on with the Trump-Russia investigation, for a variety of reasons.

It sounds like you're a little too eager to defend a corporation who you think shares your ideological identity.  If the sources are as shady as you say they are, which they probably are, then why wouldn't you be that much more diligent?  If confirmation takes ten minutes or ten days, get confirmation.  They bought a watch from a guy wearing a trench coat.  It's on them.

5 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It sounds like you're a little too eager to defend a corporation who you think shares your ideological identity.  If the sources are as shady as you say they are, which they probably are, then why wouldn't you be that much more diligent?  If confirmation takes ten minutes or ten days, get confirmation.  They bought a watch from a guy wearing a trench coat.  It's on them.

Sources are proven reliable over time until they fucking burn the shit out of you.

You can’t erase getting burned or the consequences, all you can do is burn the source going forward.

and it’s not like the information they were getting was easily confirmable by just calling the FBI secretary.

I’m basically saying, “Shit happens.”

A fuck up happened, just don’t make a habit of it.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Look the reality is, we live in a world where the administration can lie 9 times a day, and it doesn't matter.

But if a media outlet gets ONE ELEMENT of a story wrong (and they fucking got this one wrong), then that proves that they "are fake news and can't be trusted."

It's beyond a double-standard, but there we are.

I expect both the administration and the media to be truthful and honest.  AND, on the occasion when it's shown that they weren't - whether on purpose or by mistake - I expect them both to immediately come clean.  Only one of those does that.  I wish NBC hadn't fucked up.  But when they determined the correct information, they clearly and openly corrected their earlier story.

I'm still waiting on this administration to correct/apologize for any one of its THOUSANDS of lies.

But I live in a world where, between the two, NBC is the bad guy.  SMDH.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, Chooky said:

What Hank Kingsley and Pig said.  That's a massive fucking correction that could've been avoided with any fact checking structure based on a sense of patience and integrity.  That seems like something that could've been confirmed within a half hour.  It's sloppy and impulsive.  And that's on the entire network, not just an individual pundit, so any equivocating with Hannity or Fox News is useless.  It's way too common and I doubt anybody will have their nose rubbed into that stain on the dining room carpet.  This should be a way bigger blemish than it is in today's news environment.  

That sack of egg flatulence, Chuck Todd, was just on in the background.  He had George Will on his idiotic program, which is like watching a Rolls-Royce participate in a monster truck show and the venue is in a sewer.  Chuck Todd idly called Rudy Guliani Trump's "leading attorney."  George Will, then asked "Is he the leading attorney?"  Todd laughed like he purposely set up the punchline. Will asked again "I mean, is he?  Who is he leading?"  Todd giggled and listed Trump's other attorneys and desperately wanted that shrugged off.  George Will is too polite to stab the guy in the throat on his own show.  Overall, it was fairly innocuous.  The point is that words matter to people like George Will.  The contrast between newsmen was stark, especially on the same day and network that made the other massive gaffe.     

All of this.This is journalism 101 - check your facts. First, last, and always. Any other consideration is so far behind that it doesn't count. If you're first to print or broadcast with false information, you fucked up bigly.

Just because we have a donkey for a president doesn't mean that every institution should start braying like a jackass.  Tap the brakes and get it right.  If anything, truth is at an even higher premium because of these degenerates.

• Like 3