The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

47 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

How’s the suspension on it?  Haven’t driven one of those in a while. Last time i drove one it was badass as long as going straight.  Get a bend and it still demanded it go straight. That was some time ago, and it was a different set up.  

It feels pretty damn good to me. It's a comfortable ride on the highway, great on the street, and that's all just on default. The 20x9.5s with 275s are a must though! You feel way more connected and planted to the ground. It's not a battle to turn the car.

I would strongly suggest to anyone looking to buy one to stay far away from the 20x9s with the 245s. It wants to break loose even under moderate straight-line acceleration and especially so in the turns.

The one change I will make once I wear down the rear tires is getting a pair of 20x10.5 or 11 with some 305s. I think that'll be a more optimal setup.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Brother and sister buy back mustang their father had to sell for medical bills. Surprise him

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/09/17/children-buy-back-beloved-ford-mustang-dad-sold-to-pay-moms-cancer-bills-17-years-ago.html

that's awesome.  I had a 1989 oxford white mustang gt in high school.  traded it for a light titanium clearcoat metallic  (silver) a year later (1990) because they put airbags in them.  Mine got stolen and stripped to the frame in Houston circa 1996 ish.  I often wonder if the white one is still alive, and how I could find it.  would love to buy that thing back too.  

3 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

that's awesome.  I had a 1989 oxford white mustang gt in high school.  traded it for a light titanium clearcoat metallic  (silver) a year later (1990) because they put airbags in them.  Mine got stolen and stripped to the frame in Houston circa 1996 ish.  I often wonder if the white one is still alive, and how I could find it.  would love to buy that thing back too.  

My high school car was a 1986 FJ60, and the dude who has it now actually lives five blocks from my house just out of sheer coincidence. One day I'm totally going to break down and go give him twice what it's worth.

• Like 1

Fuckkkkkk - 3 year wait on the Singer...I'll keep the gents here updated as I plan to start the process soon:

Dear Impatient Surly Asshole,

I hope this email finds you well and many thanks for your interest in Singer Vehicle Design.

Please find the below information which warmly introduces several aspects of our services. Our complete restorations on the 964 based Porsche 911 Coupe or Targa start at $475,000 for the Coupe; $525,000 for the Targa. The average price of most commissions after being configured to clients’ specifications is about $590,000—$690,000. 

In addition to our ‘Classic’ restoration services, we have also recently announced the Dynamic and Lightweight Study (DLS) in collaboration with Williams Advanced Engineering (F1) where we will complete up to 75 restorations. DLS is priced at $1,800,000 and my colleague Matthew Henry (cc’d here) will be happy to further introduce you to that study in pursuit of the ultimate air-cooled Porsche 911. 

In terms of a timeline, our Classic Coupe and Targa restorations may take up to 36 months to completely optimize the vehicle. DLS will be 18 months and based out of the UK at the Williams F1 facility (our new UK home) in Grove. All of our restorations include the following concierge services: assistance with and facilitation of "donor" vehicle sourcing; facilitation of shipping, import and export arrangements (if necessary); communication and guidance on project specifications; and coordination of post-delivery services/warranty. The 964 donor 911 provided for restoration should be an operational and complete (LHD or RHD), C2/C4 Manual or Tiptronic (Coupe or Targa). The vehicle must have a clean title (we cannot work with salvage title or insurance write-offs) and have had no history of accident damage to the chassis.

We look forward to the opportunity of providing further information at your convenience.

Best Regards,

Seamus Taaffe

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Loco said:

Team FJ40 But I'm not a 60s hater.  My brother destroyed like 4 of them,

This is my ride....

IMG_3508_zpsyzg1x2sp.jpg

The only correct color.

I like the 40 and 60 equally, but for different reasons. 

42 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Surely my wife won't mind if I cash out my 401k to buy a car.

Do it and report back. You know, for science. 

btw, noticed a fucking minor dent on my fender.  (from some fuckwad at the work garage - i know it).  the first one ever.  and now i cant unsee it.

have you guys done paintless dent repair and are you happy?  ive watched some quick clips on youtube and they use so many different gadgets and tools im worried about adding residual damage just to treat a dent

btw, noticed a fucking minor dent on my fender.  (from some fuckwad at the work garage - i know it).  the first one ever.  and now i cant unsee it.

have you guys done paintless dent repair and are you happy?  ive watched some quick clips on youtube and they use so many different gadgets and tools im worried about adding residual damage just to treat a dent

I've used it and was very impressed with the results. Sometimes you can still see a very minor imperfection in the paint depending on how bad the ding is. Search car forums for a guy who knows what he's doing.

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i like how they so casually introduce the 3x priced, 1.5 million dollar upsell.

Is that car delivered in half the time, or is it an additional 18 months on top of the 36 months for the normal singer treatment?

also, what’s a donor car cost these days?  I’m a little shocked they don’t provide the vehicle themselves, unless that’s what they mean by assistance. 

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is that car delivered in half the time, or is it an additional 18 months on top of the 36 months for the normal singer treatment?

also, what’s a donor car cost these days?  I’m a little shocked they don’t provide the vehicle themselves, unless that’s what they mean by assistance. 

Cost of the donor car would be maybe 10% of the build cost on the high end. Given what they do in the build process, I'm sure you can start with a pretty rough example for a donor.

And it goes without saying, but you have great taste, ChiTown.

Edited by NYTransplant

17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I knew this going in.  They’ll help you find a donor car but that seems like the easy part.  

1 hour ago, NYTransplant said:

Cost of the donor car would be maybe 10% of the build cost on the high end. Given what they do in the build process, I'm sure you can start with a pretty rough example for a donor.

And it goes without saying, but you have great taste, ChiTown.

They seem picky about the donor having perfect bones.  Paint and superficial issues are fine though, makes sense.  And thanks...

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

Might be the first time those words have ever been uttered.

You haven’t seen my watches and gf’s.  Lol

happy Friday assholes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, 52-80 said:

it makes no financial sense to do PDR on my car, but i have this one dent from where a security gate arm came down on my car as i was driving under it that annoys the fuck out of me.  it's right above the passenger door in the roof rail.  it's a double dent where the arm bounced.  there's other dings in the car but none are near as noticeable as that one (well, 2).  if it's under $300 i might just do it. 

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it makes no financial sense to do PDR on my car, but i have this one dent from where a security gate arm came down on my car as i was driving under it that annoys the fuck out of me.  it's right above the passenger door in the roof rail.  it's a double dent where the arm bounced.  there's other dings in the car but none are near as noticeable as that one (well, 2).  if it's under $300 i might just do it. 

Just go to some independent body shop and offer $150 cash.  They’ll magically make that work.  Used to do that back in the day. 

• Like 1

I'm a Ford man. Dad was a Ford man. Grandpa was a Ford man. Luckily those other two are in the ground because they might flip their shit because I bought a Japanese car Monday.

The Expedition is 15 years old now and the wife was convinced it would strand me on I10 on the way to IAH.

The 4runner caught my eye recently and to replace the Expedition with the same features today is 65k+. Knew nothing of the Toyota and didn't really do any research therefore I know I overpaid and told the guy that, but I don't care because the car buying process is so miserable. 2.5 hours from the time I left the house in the hills to back in my garage.

It felt like it sits as high as the expedition because it's built on a truck frame. Also not buying a pickup because every other redneck in this state has one. 64ba16932f929d36aeb322aadac8c6df.jpg

• Like 7

I'm a Ford man. Dad was a Ford man. Grandpa was a Ford man. Luckily those other two are in the ground because they might flip their shit because I bought a Japanese car Monday.

The Expedition is 15 years old now and the wife was convinced it would strand me on I10 on the way to IAH.

The 4runner caught my eye recently and to replace the Expedition with the same features today is 65k+. Knew nothing of the Toyota and didn't really do any research therefore I know I overpaid and told the guy that, but I don't care because the car buying process is so miserable. 2.5 hours from the time I left the house in the hills to back in my garage.

It felt like it sits as high as the expedition because it's built on a truck frame. Also not buying a pickup because every other redneck in this state has one. 64ba16932f929d36aeb322aadac8c6df.jpg

Word. I was a Ford man too. I guess I still am somewhat, but I love me some Toyota.

When I had mine done, it was around $75/dent with it getting cheaper the more you had removed.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They are 10 years old in the interior.  Need an update badly.  And the engine is underpowered.  But they do look nice.

all the toyota interior today look like domestic cars of 10-20 years ago.  its embarassing.  only mazda is doing it right from japan.  and the koreans too

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

all the toyota interior today look like domestic cars of 10-20 years ago.  its embarassing.  only mazda is doing it right from japan.  and the koreans too

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

They are 10 years old in the interior.  Need an update badly.  And the engine is underpowered.  But they do look nice.

It's not sexy, it's just durable and utilitarian.  I am a Toyota guy and am constantly disappointed just how boring they can make their vehicles.  They use old engines, old transmissions,  and don't get me started on the shitty brake rotors....  but they are bullet proof because the bugs were worked out years ago (probably 10+)

If you need gizmos and gadgets and jeewiz a toyota is going to bore you to death.  But the trucks do have some Bauhaus style beauty.  The one exception is that god damned FAKE hood scoop on the 4runner that looks so good...    I hate fake crap like that.

American cars look good at first but after a few years they look like they were assembled by a middle school

Edited by Loco

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

As I've said though, I dont like the looks of the new ones at all. This will always be my 4Runner.

64552d1052866511-1985-toyota-4runner-min

Not when the salt spray gets to it....    I looked for one of these to weld a full rollbar/bimini style top on...  the steering wheel /  dash just makes me lol...   I hear Flock of Seagulls when I looks at it...  so 80's

Really cool truck though