Tax reform

zork

Here's the actual numbers from the Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-federal-deficit-ballooned-at-start-of-new-fiscal-year-up-77-percent-from-a-year-before/2019/03/05/ff8d31f6-3f75-11e9-9361-301ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.43abb7ea376e

The deficit grew 77 percent in the first four months of fiscal 2019 compared with the same period one year before, Treasury said.

The total deficit for the four-month period was $310 billion, Treasury said, up from $176 billion for the same period one year earlier.

Tax revenue for October 2018 through January 2019 fell $19 billion, or 2 percent, Treasury said. It noted a major reduction in corporate tax payments over the first four months of the fiscal year, falling close to 25 percent, or $17 billion.

Spending, meanwhile, increased 9 percent over the same period.

The biggest increases were for defense military programs, which saw a 12 percent increase, and Medicare, which saw a 16 percent increase.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow on Tuesday acknowledged that national debt as a share of GDP has “inched up a bit,” but added in an interview on Fox News: “We are making an investment in America’s future … and if that means we incur some additional debt in the short run, so be it.”

Kudlow said “Growth solves the problem,” and predicted that the deficit-to-GDP ratio will come down with growth. “That will solve all of these problems and people will be very prosperous.”

The White House plan will propose cutting a number of domestic programs by at least 5 percent, including things like environmental protection, education and foreign aid, according to Trump administration officials who have previewed some of the plans. It will also propose adhering to caps on military and nonmilitary programs put in place several years ago, but it will simultaneously propose boosting defense spending in an uncapped program as a way to divert more money to the military.

The ballooning deficit comes as interest rates are expected to begin rising, driving up the cost of borrowing money. The government is projected to spend $383 billion on interest payments for its debt this year, and that will rise to $581 billion in 2022, according to the CBO.

During the tax cut debate in 2017, the White House promised that slashing tax rates would end up creating more revenue because it would allow the economy to grow at a faster clip. Economic growth did pick up in 2018, but Democrats have said the growth will be short-lived. So far, the growth has not come close to the levels needed to offset the $1.5 trillion in tax reductions that were part of the legislation.

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The White House plan will propose cutting a number of domestic programs by at least 5 percent, including things like environmental protection, education and foreign aid, according to Trump administration officials who have previewed some of the plans. It will also propose adhering to caps on military and nonmilitary programs put in place several years ago, but it will simultaneously propose boosting defense spending in an uncapped program as a way to divert more money to the military.

This is astonishing.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is astonishing.

It should have been done under Ryan as SotH.  They should have held spending at nominal previous year levels at minimum across the board.  Neither or anything really to do with spending cuts were done under Ryan so now it is empty rhetoric with the Dems in charge in the HoR.

12 minutes ago, zork said:

It should have been done under Ryan as SotH.  They should have held spending at nominal previous year levels at minimum across the board.  Neither or anything really to do with spending cuts were done under Ryan so now it is empty rhetoric with the Dems in charge in the HoR.

Wat.  Just to be clear, you think that cutting the EPA, Education, and Foreign Aid, which take up a miniscule amount of our budget, is a good idea and expanding the military is a good idea and should have been done already?  That's your contention?

• Like 1

This is exactly the problem. In the rare case that cuts are actually made, they're too insignificant to move the needle, are made to the wrong areas, and are offset by increases elsewhere . It's a bullshit gesture to keep stupid people appeased I guess.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wat.  Just to be clear, you think that cutting the EPA, Education, and Foreign Aid, which take up a miniscule amount of our budget, is a good idea and expanding the military is a good idea and should have been done already?  That's your contention?

cut all of it, to the bone.   lay off hundreds of thousands of non-essential workers over a 1 year program of 3 month notice of 75% hours, then 3 more months of 50% hours, then layoffs after the 12 month mark.

cut all the budgets 5% nominally every other year while holding the budget constant in the odd years.  allow 1% back in that odd year to be allocated for the most needed areas.  

it won't happen.  nobody has the will to cut anything.  This  quoted stuff is just posturing since the Dems hold the house.  No cuts will be made, relax.

Even if it did, if the cost of an educated populace is that my sports teams are shitty I make that trade every fucking day. Is anyone clamoring to move to Alabama because Saban built a football dynasty there? No, because Alabama is a shithole. 

Maybe not the the state but the actual university? Absolutely.

Since Saban has been the coach, enrollment has increased every year, millions of dollars in capital improvements and new construction have occurred, academic admissions standards have increased, enrollment is at a historic high, and last year was the first year in university history with more out of state students than in state students.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It will also propose adhering to caps on military and nonmilitary programs put in place several years ago, but it will simultaneously propose boosting defense spending in an uncapped program as a way to divert more money to the military.

I just want to reiterate this is the bigger part of this bullshit.  How the fuck do you ADHERE to caps WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY BOOSTING DEFENSE SPENDING IN AN UNCAPPED PROGRAM?!?!??!?!?!?!

Edited by Biff Tannen
no i didn't quote myself, it was a quote of a quote
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Since Saban has been the coach, enrollment has increased every year, millions of dollars in capital improvements and new construction have occurred, academic admissions standards have increased, enrollment is at a historic high, and last year was the first year in university history with more out of state students than in state students.

Nothing to do with Saban.  States with population booms like Texas, Florida, and Georgia aren't increasing university seats enough to match demand, and Texas itself has even been gutting educational spending to further exacerbate the issue. U of Alabama is nearby and has decent academic standards. Where else are they gonna go?  LSU is crap.  Ole Miss is tiny. Private universities are laughably expensive.

The only state in the union that handles public higher learning well is California. 

All that progress and they still can't get anyone on campus smart enough to know that running a fake FG into Clemson's base defense is a poor choice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

All I've ever heard is that we don't have a tax problem; we have a spending problem.

But in the meantime, so much has been cut from corporate taxation that it's dwarfing the spending issue:

I'm sure the hard core Gary Johnson voters will come along and explain how this is all gonna work out.  I was told that these corporations would put these newly found savings towards raises and employment and new plants and added shifts and just....wow.  So much winning.

Corporate taxes have been less than 10% of total collections historically, so the change in business taxes can’t be dwarfing the spending issue. Pass through taxes are a little harder to determine.

Edited by Brew

Nothing to do with Saban.  States with population booms like Texas, Florida, and Georgia aren't increasing university seats enough to match demand, and Texas itself has even been gutting educational spending to further exacerbate the issue. U of Alabama is nearby and has decent academic standards. Where else are they gonna go?  LSU is crap.  Ole Miss is tiny. Private universities are laughably expensive.
The only state in the union that handles public higher learning well is California. 

Yup. The LSUs and Bamas of the world live on a steady diet of slacker rich kids and full-ride enticed brain drain from TX and FL. No different than OU. That out of state tuition goes a lot further than anything the football program contributes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Then why didn’t it happen till now?

Why isn’t it happening at Auburn? Tennessee? South Carolina? Missouri? Virginia Tech? Kentucky?

And the out of state enrollment at UA isn’t just regional like you’re assuming. Tuscaloosa is lousy with kids from California, New Jersey, Colorado, Connecticut, and places all over the northeast and Midwest.

Shit, one sorority (Alpha Phi) has a membership of, no joke, 76% California girls.

And a lot of those students are staying in Alabama after graduation and working in places like Birmingham and Huntsville and Mobile. It’s been a big increase in the job market hiring pool.

I live here. I’m an alumni. I hire folks. I see the benefits. Most southern states have to worry about losing their best and brightest after college to other locations; Alabama may be attracting students for the football and the parties but they come and some find a home and stay.

Y’all can keep thinking we’re all gumps but the administration has done an amazing job capitalizing on the football success and parlayed into so much more than trophies and hype videos.

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Why isn’t it happening at Auburn? Tennessee? South Carolina? Missouri? Virginia Tech? Kentucky?

And the out of state enrollment at UA isn’t just regional like you’re assuming. Tuscaloosa is lousy with kids from California, New Jersey, Colorado, Connecticut, and places all over the northeast and Midwest.

Shit, one sorority (Alpha Phi) has a membership of, no joke, 76% California girls.

And a lot of those students are staying in Alabama after graduation and working in places like Birmingham and Huntsville and Mobile. It’s been a big increase in the job market hiring pool.

I live here. I’m an alumni. I hire folks. I see the benefits. Most southern states have to worry about losing their best and brightest after college to other locations; Alabama may be attracting students for the football and the parties but they come and some find a home and stay.

Y’all can keep thinking we’re all gumps but the administration has done an amazing job capitalizing on the football success and parlayed into so much more than trophies and hype videos.

Sounds like you're the one who thinks you are gumps since you are attributing your academic growth to football. Instead, your school has been investing in academics, as well as throwing scholarships toward out of staters. Its the OU model. Don't sell yourself short. 

Auburn is an ag school. So is VT.  Tennessee is in a state with solid population growth, can't even educate the people that it has, and has stone age education funding. Missouri is in a high population state that is gutting education funding too. Kentucky hasn't made an investment. Also, as bad as your state's rep is, Kentucky's is worse. Also, you, like OU, benefit from having a semi-urban campus. All the other schools you list, save Tennessee, are in locales that make Tuscaloosa look like Manhattan. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Okay thanks for Texsplaining “reality” to me about my state and my university.

Can you mansplain the difference between a vulva and a vagina next?

Ok ok. You're right. Its all football. That is truly the only reason anyone would ever choose to go to your university or even step foot in your state. You haven't invested in academics at all. I understand that all classes are taught in a dirt field for lack of classrooms. But damn, those California girls love to watch football in that fine stadium of yours. Only reason they are there. 

Ok ok. You're right. Its all football. That is truly the only reason anyone would ever choose to go to your university or even step foot in your state. You haven't invested in academics at all. I understand that all classes are taught in a dirt field for lack of classrooms. But damn, those California girls love to watch football in that fine stadium of yours. Only reason they are there. 

No you obtuse blowhard.

Football was the impetus. It made the university a more national brand. It was what allowed the administration to build on national interest from potential students that had never considered Alabama which in turn created the cascade of higher quality applicants and higher enrollment and more revenue and capital improvements etc etc.

I never once said football was the reason - I said the success bred more success in all areas of the university that don’t have anything to do with football.

And I don’t know why you’re being such a defensive asshole. You started with a false premise backed up by calling a place I love a shithole and continuing digging when I pointed out facts that contradicted your shallow take based on your incorrect assumptions.

Don’t just take my word for it -

From the NYT -

But over the past decade, the success of Crimson Tide football can be measured off the field as well, as it has become a powerful engine for the university’s economic and academic growth, a standout among other large public universities with a similar zest for capitalizing on their sports programs.

Alabama’s football pre-eminence on television and in the postseason, along with an aggressive plan to extend the university reach beyond the state, has helped attract a more academically-minded student body in the past decade from all over the country and served as the catalyst for more than $1.7 billion in fund-raising, according to those who have engineered the explosive growth.

In the last decade, enrollment has increased by more than 55 percent, to a record 37,100 students this fall, and more than half of the students now are from out of state, another seismic shift. The acceptance rate in the last decade fell to 54 percent, from 72 percent. This year, 2,261 freshmen are enrolled in its Honors College, two and half times the number 10 years ago. Its 174 National Merit and National Achievement finalists rank Alabama among the top five public universities.

Alabama has funneled some of its largess into millions of dollars in scholarships and faculty salaries, with pledges to do more as it essentially monetizes the passion for the sport and embeds it in the university’s DNA.

Robert Witt, who was the president at the time of Saban’s hiring and is now the chancellor, called the move the university’s wisest investment. After he was hired, the campus surpassed a $50 million capital improvement campaign by $52 million, and he has been a key to reaching a $500 million campaign for the university at large.

It’s only fitting that the admissions tour for the University of Alabama starts in Bryant-Denny Stadium. On game days, the campus’s iconic quad — a painterly expanse of lawn, majestic trees and bell tower — becomes a crimson and white tent city of numbered tailgating plots, some with electricity.

Coach Nick Saban is so revered that as rain threatened this year’s sorority rush, prayers went out to “Lord Saban” for sunshine, which brings us to the second thing Bama is famous for: Greek life. Banners flew along Colonial Drive after the August rush. One, for Alpha Omicron Pi, descended over four white pillars boasting, with a pun on the house’s floral symbol, of recruiting success: “We Rose Higher Than the Rest.”

How then, you might ask, did Brianna Zavilowitz, a Staten Islander with 2120 SATs and a 4.0 grade-point average, daughter of a retired N.Y.P.D. detective and an air traffic controller, with zero interest in pledging and middling enthusiasm for football, wind up in Tuscaloosa for college?

This was not the capricious choice of a freckle-faced teenager, which she is. Rather, the reason she turned down the University of California, Berkeley, and canceled her Columbia University interview (“I figured I didn’t want to waste his time”) reveals the new competitive ethos in public higher education: Think big and recruit.

Ms. Zavilowitz first noticed the university on Facebook. A few clicks and Bama was omnipresent. Pop-ups, emails and literature piqued her interest. She visited, took the bus tour, was tickled by the Southern hospitality. Her mother appreciated detailed parent information suggesting “a well-oiled machine.” There was more: a full-tuition scholarship. “My mom kept telling me not to look at the money,” said Ms. Zavilowitz, chatting in red Alabama footies. “But it definitely helped.” Roll, Tide, roll.

With state funding now just 12.5 percent of the university’s budget, campus leaders have mapped an offensive strategy to grow in size, prestige and, most important, revenue. The endgame is to become a national player known for more than championship football. Berkeley, the University of Michigan and University of Virginia are the schools “we compare ourselves against,” said Kevin W. Whitaker, Alabama’s interim provost,

Alabama has invested heavily to lure students like Ms. Zavilowitz, who does not qualify for federal financial aid. The university is spending $100.6 million in merit aid, up from $8.3 million a decade ago and more than twice what it allocates to students with financial need. It also has hired an army of recruiters to put Bama on college lists of full-paying students who, a few years ago, might not have looked its way.

The University of Alabama is the fastest-growing flagship in the country. Enrollment hit 37,665 this fall, nearly a 58 percent increase over 2006. As critical as the student body jump: the kind of student the university is attracting. The average G.P.A. of entering freshmen is 3.66, up from 3.4 a decade ago, and the top quarter scored at least a 31 on the ACT, up from 27.

Funny how all those increases happened after 2007.

c98c531e112c619c07fe21a812e59a26.jpg

On 3/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, tjhooker said:

Because the Yankees grossly overpay from some athletes to make up for it and because some people just want to play for the Yankees due to brand. 

Furthermore, the lower taxes he will be paying in PA will yield him much more $ on his endorsement deals. 

Bryce and agent literally said they turned down the Giants offer due to high taxes in California and you're doubting they were telling the truth?  What?  Taxes do affect business decisions. 

LOL, you're fucking stupid.  If that was the only factor in deciding where to play sports would be flipped upside down with only certain teams doing well.  That liberal shithole Boston would be losing at a much higher clip.  MA has a flat state income tax that is among the highest in the country (5.1% which is the second highest of 8 states with flat taxes).  Also, one of us two has left millions on the table by not moving to make that extra green.  So just STFU. 

I do work for several current and former NFL players. Most don’t understand the tax impact of anything and can’t locate their W-2’s each year. However, they do understand it costs them a lot more to be on a California or NY team. I don’t think it made much difference in this case, but it does play into decision making and looking at contract values for the lower level players no different than if any one of us was looking at a job in a high cost state. However, there is no doubt his agent went to the CA teams with a higher contract ask. It’s what he should do.

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

No you obtuse blowhard.

Football was the impetus. It made the university a more national brand. It was what allowed the administration to build on national interest from potential students that had never considered Alabama which in turn created the cascade of higher quality applicants and higher enrollment and more revenue and capital improvements etc etc.

I never once said football was the reason - I said the success bred more success in all areas of the university that don’t have anything to do with football.

And I don’t know why you’re being such a defensive asshole. You started with a false premise backed up by calling a place I love a shithole and continuing digging when I pointed out facts that contradicted your shallow take based on your incorrect assumptions.

Don’t just take my word for it -

From the NYT -

Funny how all those increases happened after 2007.

c98c531e112c619c07fe21a812e59a26.jpg

Lol. Who is being defensive exactly?

And why are you Yankeesplaining it?  The article I posted was from the Birmingham Biz Journal. And it explains precisely why your school, and other Southern schools, have had enrollment booms from out of state students. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

19 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Lets not forget, this is happening when the economy is doing well. "Ballooning" won't even come close to describing the deficit when we go into our next recession.

14 hours ago, zork said:

cut all of it, to the bone.   lay off hundreds of thousands of non-essential workers over a 1 year program of 3 month notice of 75% hours, then 3 more months of 50% hours, then layoffs after the 12 month mark.

cut all the budgets 5% nominally every other year while holding the budget constant in the odd years.  allow 1% back in that odd year to be allocated for the most needed areas.  

it won't happen.  nobody has the will to cut anything.  This  quoted stuff is just posturing since the Dems hold the house.  No cuts will be made, relax.

You really do want a recession, don't you?

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Lets not forget, this is happening when the economy is doing well. "Ballooning" won't even come close to describing the deficit when we go into our next recession.

You really do want a recession, don't you?

I want a recession, but for different reasons.

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Greg Abbott
Dan Patrick
Ken Paxton
Sid Miller
David Whitley
John Cornyn
Ted Cruz
TEXAS A&M

In conclusion, eat it.

Is this suppose to be persuasive. Are you suggesting that a person couldn’t come up with a list of mouth breathing state politicians from Alabama. Cause I am pretty sure I could with about 5 minutes of googling. And I would wager that I can find that they hold a greater proportion of state senate and house seats in bammer compared to Texas.  

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is this suppose to be persuasive. Are you suggesting that a person couldn’t come up with a list of mouth breathing state politicians from Alabama. Cause I am pretty sure I could with about 5 minutes of googling. And I would wager that I can find that they hold a greater proportion of state senate and house seats in bammer compared to Texas.  

Its persuasive.  Not because of the politicians.  Texas' politicians are bad, but Bama's are infinitely worse.

However, they don't have Texas A&M so they win in a rout.

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its persuasive.  Not because of the politicians.  Texas' politicians are bad, but Bama's are infinitely worse.

However, they don't have Texas A&M so they win in a rout.

I know that as Longhorns this is hard for us to fathom, but the University of Alabama doesn’t hold a candle to ATM. 

ATM #66 in National Universities(tie)

Bammer #129 in National Universities (tie)

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I know that as Longhorns this is hard for us to fathom, but the University of Alabama doesn’t hold a candle to ATM. 

ATM #66 in National Universities(tie)

Bammer #129 in National Universities (tie)

aggyness has very little to do with the quality of education. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 11:05 PM, Bama Chick said:

My wife is Alpha Phi, as are her sisters. You’re full of shit.

Really?

Your wife was an Alpha Phi at Alabama?

Because in this post you claim to be 65 years old -

0d3d799c875c8298b5fc7ee9924f058e.jpg

And the Alpha Phi chapter at Alabama was recolonized only 10 years ago. So you’re either married to a much, much younger woman or your wife wasn’t an Alpha Phi at Alabama in its current formation.

Alpha Phi has the lowest academics of all the sororities -

55d5336fb9e6028cb4e119c4ce8d5612.jpg
ab8e38909217b2ee09e1fd611d5c7673.jpg

There’s a reason they’re lousy with girls from California and New Jersey. They have a good national reputation but they are.....not good at Bama.

Shit, they just had a sister expelled for posting a racist screed online - posted on MLK Day with her bleating the N-word loud as you please.

That bitch wasn’t local. She was all New Jersey, baby.

They have the rep for having hot, dim, and slutty girls.

I’m very involved with our local Panhellenic group and write between 75-100 rec letters every year. I follow all the local girls and girls from all across the state now that my college friends have kids going through rush.

I know exactly ONE in-state girl who has pledged Alpha Phi. She’s a sweet girl who went to a great private school in Montgomery. Those girls typically end up in the same 5-6 houses. But, she had horrible grades. Her legacy house dropped her. So, welcome to Alpha Phi!

I may be a gump and know shit about tax reform or the situation in Venezuela but don’t even try to come for my neck about this topic, gramps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Probably not the most appropriate thread since this isn't directly related to the tax cut, but I'd love to hear from the Surly financial geniuses how this lady should somehow get the money to move to a cheaper city.

• Like 2