Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

23 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

You guys are a bunch of 'chicken littles'...yeah the deficit jumped 20%, BUT he laid off 40 people, so you see, he's totally reining in spending to counter it. 

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jograves said:

He's going to say he wants to meet with Mueller and clear this WITCH HUNT/HOAX up, but it's those damn lawyers who say he shouldn't. Believe him. Bigly.

The best part is Giuliani demanding the investigation be wrapped up by Sept 1st.

Never mind Mueller has been requesting an interview with Trump so he can close the investigation, since January.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

that is a pretty bad headline.  So much so that I decided to go take a look at our Revenues (2017 actuals and projected for 2018 FY)

2017 Actuals

Individual Income Taxes $1,587T

Payroll Taxes $1,162T

Corporate Income Taxes $297B

2018 Projected

Individual Income Taxes $1,639T (increase of $52B)

Payroll Taxes $1,178 (increase of $16B)

Corporate Income Taxes $243B( decrease of $54B)

Other taxes increased about $8B yoy

Meaning Net Revenue to the US government in the form of taxes overall increased $22B.

Just pointing out that Revenue generation due to the tax cut really isn't an issue.  The drunken fucks spending like college kids with a new credit card does seem to be a problem however.

data from here https://www.cbo.gov/about/products/budget-economic-data#2

15 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I don't think Mueller can interview Trump  in any meaningful way without it being a deposition.  Trump is too good at wandering filibuster that I doubt someone who does not have the force of law behind him to redirect focus back at the specific question would be able to get get anything.

Trump is either going to get subpoena’d to a grand jury or Mueller is not going to question him.

This is where we are and if a subpoena is coming, it’s likely coming soon. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

27 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

that is a pretty bad headline.  So much so that I decided to go take a look at our Revenues (2017 actuals and projected for 2018 FY)

2017 Actuals

Individual Income Taxes $1,587T

Payroll Taxes $1,162T

Corporate Income Taxes $297B

2018 Projected

Individual Income Taxes $1,639T (increase of $52B)

Payroll Taxes $1,178 (increase of $16B)

Corporate Income Taxes $243B( decrease of $54B)

Other taxes increased about $8B yoy

Meaning Net Revenue to the US government in the form of taxes overall increased $22B.

Just pointing out that Revenue generation due to the tax cut really isn't an issue.  The drunken fucks spending like college kids with a new credit card does seem to be a problem however.

At least refer to the actual CBO report that the quoted tweet/article references. In that one, they use actual receipts (preliminary report) not the projections you use.

It can be found here: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files?file=2018-08/54339-MBR.pdf

35 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Bullshit.  It's bullshit the Republicans are pushing, but it's still bullshit.  The 2018 data includes tax revenue from the 2017 tax law, which came due in April of 2018.  Every month since April has had reduced revenue.  The 2018Q3 deficit is expected to be 74% higher than 2017Q3.  4th Q is expected to be about 50% higher. The CBO specifically cites the tax cut in its discussion of deficit growth. 

Edited by Tuco

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . so tax revenue increased after the "tax cuts" AND the budget deficit jumped 20%, so don't blame the tax cuts?  That's the new hill to die on?

I just put the numbers out there.  Revenue increased, Spending increased more.  Abracadabra, the fiscal deficit is higher.  I'm really not understanding the visceral angry response by Tuco but whateves

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So Russian media just published the entire proposed U.S. sanctions bill targeting Russia.

I wonder how they got their hands on it?

https://www.kommersant.ru/docs/2018/_2018d140-Menendez-Russia-Sanctions-Bill.pdf

maybe our good friend Rand Paul hand delivered it with his bill for services rendered. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I just put the numbers out there.  Revenue increased, Spending increased more.  Abracadabra, the fiscal deficit is higher.  I'm really not understanding the visceral angry response by Tuco but whateves

I think it's just extremely frustrating that the tax cut was sold as a means to reduce the deficit because of whatever black magic was going to happen (which turned out to be stock buybacks, helping nobody but the wealthy.)  Combine that with the promise to eliminate the deficit in 8 years while doubling the annual deficit . . . well, it pisses people off.

I know, "you can keep your doctor".  So comparable.

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

This is an older graph, but it gives the impression that tax revenue goes up all the time except when the economy crashes.

u-s-federal-government-revenue-source.jp

Your claim about causality seems profoundly simplistic to me, and I'm no economist. The above suggests that lowering tax rates likely cannot be a singular cause of increased tax revenue.

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

This is an older graph, but it gives the impression that tax revenue goes up all the time except when the economy crashes.

u-s-federal-government-revenue-source.jp

Your claim about causality seems profoundly simplistic to me, and I'm no economist. The above suggests that lowering tax rates likely cannot be a singular cause of increased tax revenue.

I didn't argue causality.  I just pointed out the revenue from tax receipts did not collapse.  The deficit increased this year due to increased outlays, not due to a collapse in revenue from the tax cuts....as the title of that article implied.

Jimmy- I'm not a bit whataboutism or but obama guy.  

18 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I didn't argue causality.  I just pointed out the revenue from tax receipts did not collapse.  The deficit increased this year due to increased outlays, not due to a collapse in revenue from the tax cuts....as the title of that article implied.

As Tuco already told you, you're counting receipts from the old tax law.  Receipts are down since then.  The CBO report just said tax receipts for July declined by 3% over the prior year.   And that's in a growing economy - the delta is almost certainly higher if you compare projections under the old tax system for July 2018 receipts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

"We didn’t want somebody who’s weak, petty, or impotent!"

Well, guys…I hope you’re sitting down….I’ve got some really tough news to give you….

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well, being that we're all living in The Shining, this makes sense....

tenor.gif?itemid=4828796

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Giuliani only had three rules regarding Mueller’s questions.

1. No questions about obstruction 

2. No questions about collusion

3. No questions that would lead Trump to lie.

This isn’t a joke either. These were Giuliani’s terms.

So...the condition on #3 effectively means "no questions."  He'd lie if you asked him if he'd taken a piss today.  It's what he does.  It's his first instinct when facing any question.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I almost don't believe that list of demands, but assuming they're real:  the gall of Giuliani to demand Mueller pare down his inquiry so as to not lead Trump to lie under oath.

Here's an idea:  instruct your fucking client to tell the truth.

At this point I’m not sure dotus even knows what the truth is.

Government revenue and expenses are not flat. Built in budgeting are increases or decreases in revenue and spending due to inflation and population changes.

Without breaking down the figures my guess is that we’re short pre-tax cut revenues and up in expenses due to increases in military spending (already over 50% of discretionary spending).

Republicans are waiting to blame the debt on dems, Obama and PBS, so they can make major cuts to social programs, maybe even Medicare and Social Security-that they’ll somehow blame on dems.

From Chris Hayes:

So here's where we are today:

The president's lawyers are desperately trying to keep their client from perjuring himself in the criminal investigation into the president and his campaign.

While said campaign's former chair is in a federal courthouse watching the campaign's *deputy* chair testify under oath about the various and sundry crimes they committed together, among them bank fraud and tax evasion.

And the president's first supporter in congress has been arrested and charged with serious federal felonies.

And the president's close associate and former lawyer waits to see what his fate will be after the FBI raided his business and homes.

And the president's long time associate/friend Roger Stone waits to see if he'll be indicted after *his* associate testifies before a grand jury about him this Friday.

And we only know the absolute tiniest slivers of what, exactly, everyone in the president's circle has gotten up to once they became the most powerful people in the world.